PDA

View Full Version : Once again, Magic Johnson concedes "best Laker ever" title to Kobe

CuterThanRubio
05-24-2016, 06:20 PM
I recently created a thread explaining why I think that Kobe was the greatest Laker ever, and certain posters had trouble accepting the fact that even MAGIC HIMSELF bestowed that title upon Kobe.

Here is another instance of him giving Kobe the credit he deserves, May 20th on the Jimmy Kimmel Show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtyugZEybls

Let us not forget that Magic only has TWO signature moments, Kobe has an entire catalog.

TheMilkyBarKid
05-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Best players to play for the lakers:

1) Kareem
2) Shaq
3) wilt
4) magic
5) kobe
6) west

2 through to 4 are interchangeable of course.

ImKobe
05-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Magic - Kobe is the greatest Laker
Shaq - Kobe is the greatest Laker
West - Kobe is the greatest Laker

some random ISH troll - Kobe is 5th best Laker

ok.

90sgoat
05-24-2016, 06:57 PM

1) Kareem
2) Shaq
3) wilt
4) magic
5) kobe
6) west

Agreed, but maybe not choker Wilt.

SwayDizzle
05-24-2016, 06:58 PM

ok.
:lol :lol :lol these f*cking trolls man. they continuously knock Kobe down coz of his personality when he was an immature young professional. when will they get over it?

scuzzy
05-24-2016, 06:59 PM

1) Kareem
2) Shaq
3) wilt
4) magic
5) kobe
6) west

/thread

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:00 PM
[I]ESPN asked NBA executives and coaches who they believed was the greatest Laker of all time, and it wasn

ImKobe
05-24-2016, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=bigkingsfan][I]ESPN asked NBA executives and coaches who they believed was the greatest Laker of all time, and it wasn

TheMarkMadsen
05-24-2016, 07:03 PM
When coaches vote Kobe into 10+ all defensive teams haters say = oh those votes don't count.

When coaches vote Magic as the best lakers haters say = oh those votes count.

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:05 PM

some random execs/coaches - Kobe is 2nd best

ok.
There's nothing wrong with 2nd place, don't see what the big deal is. Not like he was 12th.

ImKobe
When coaches vote Kobe into 10+ all defensive teams haters say = oh those votes don't count.

When coaches vote Magic as the best lakers haters say = oh those votes count.

It depends on the context. Magic and Kobe to me are arguable either way, just depends on which era you grew up on. Obviously the coaches/executives can relate to the 80s more than they do to the modern era, a lot of them grew up idolizing Magic.

Nothing wrong with that.

ImKobe
There's nothing wrong with 2nd place, don't see what the big deal is. Not like he was 12th.

Like I care about what some random ESPN bloggers think. I don't even know them :oldlol:

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Like I care about what some random ESPN bloggers think. I don't even know them :oldlol:
I would be shocked if you did care after that...

scuzzy
05-24-2016, 07:18 PM
ESPN and SportsIllustrated both have:

Kareem
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
West/Kobe
Kobe/West

some random ISH OP - Kobe is 1st best Laker :lol

warriorfan
05-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Kareem
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
West/Kobe
Kobe/West

meltdown

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Kobe is the GOAT Laker and hes also a better player than Magic straight up

nikkas ignore and give Magic such a big pass for his mediocre defense:facepalm Bird was a good defender, made all D teams, played great post and help D, amazing positioning and defensive rebounder

Magic by far gets the biggest pass for his defense out of any top 15 GOAT:facepalm

CuterThanRubio
05-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Kareem
Magic
Shaq
Wilt
West/Kobe
Kobe/West

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wFXAMLayNgg/TbocPA6V6eI/AAAAAAAACIY/zQBbq78frEw/s1600/puppetmaster1.gif

The reigning title holder of "greatest Laker" has announced on numerous occasions that he believes Kobe to be the best, I'm just reporting information, I didn't come up with the concept, but I do agree with it.

Magic's dominance is akin to Hakeem's, they put up crazy numbers and won multiple championships but do any of these moments stand out?

Where are the clutch plays and signature games?

The 80s Lakers were stacked from the outset and bulldozed through a weak conference for over a decade, teams were averaging 125ppg for entire seasons, there should be no comparison!

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Where are the clutch plays and signature games?

Magic Johnson
1980 NBA Finals, Game 6

Is regarded as one of the most GOAT game in NBA history. Shits on any Kobe playoff games.

Overdrive
05-24-2016, 07:38 PM
When coaches vote Kobe into 10+ all defensive teams stans say = oh those votes count.

When coaches vote Magic as the best kobe stans say = oh those votes don't count.

hmmm

CuterThanRubio
05-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Magic Johnson
1980 NBA Finals, Game 6

Is regarded as one of the most GOAT game in NBA history. Shits on any Kobe playoff games.

I referenced this and the baby hook, he has TWO signature games!

Two?

You aren't better than Kobe if you only have TWO memorable moments!

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Two?

You're right, left out Kobe 6/24

CuterThanRubio
05-24-2016, 07:49 PM
You're right, left out Kobe 6/24

Who won that game?

And the championship?

Lets not forget about 15 rebounds.

:coleman:

EDIT: His freethrows put them ahead for good at 66-64 and he followed up with a jumper to increase the lead, then he hit more freethrows and got the assist on the Metta three, CLUTCH!

bigkingsfan
05-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Who won that game?

And the championship?

Lets not forget about 15 rebounds.

:coleman:
Agreed it was iconic and will be remembered for years to come. So we have Magic game six vs Kobe game 7. :cheers:

K Xerxes
05-24-2016, 08:02 PM
In terms of who had the greatest career as a Laker, then it's between Magic and Kobe. As they both played for one franchise their entire careers, it's basically a toss up as to who was a better player. Kobe is a better scorer and defender which counts a lot, but Magic could playmake and control the tempo of the game like no one ever could. I think it's pretty close, but the clear edge to Magic IMO. In terms of resume, he's achieved more too. Same rings, more FMVPs and more MVPs.

In terms of who the best players were to don the Lakers jersey, then prime and peak Kareem and Shaq are better.

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2016, 08:10 PM

Two?

Magic's Game 6 of the '80 Finals & his baby hook are clearly more memorable than any Kobe playoff game or moment

GrapeApe
05-24-2016, 08:17 PM
In terms of who had the greatest career as a Laker, then it's between Magic and Kobe. As they both played for one franchise their entire careers, it's basically a toss up as to who was a better player. Kobe is a better scorer and defender which counts a lot, but Magic could playmake and control the tempo of the game like no one ever could. I think it's pretty close, but the clear edge to Magic IMO. In terms of resume, he's achieved more too. Same rings, more FMVPs and more MVPs.

In terms of who the best players were to don the Lakers jersey, then prime and peak Kareem and Shaq are better.

Agreed, kind of like how Wade is the greatest Heat player ever but prime Lebron is the greatest player to wear a Heat jersey. I'd probably give the edge to Kobe over Magic due to his unprecedented longevity with the franchise.

TheMarkMadsen
05-24-2016, 08:34 PM
So Magic can win a ring in his prime while being 5th option on his team in the finals in scoring while not even leading the team in assist in the finals at the same time and nobody brings that up against him.

Meanwhile Kobe is held under a microscope and every game where he wasn't perfect gets brought up.

Ok.

Imagine if Kobe had played with the teams Magic had, all we would hear about is "couldn't win without a stacked team" oh wait we already hear that due to Lamar and Pau lmao

Dudes on here bring up Pau Gasol as if he was some all time great help meanwhile Magic playing his entire career with the 2nd GOAT and a cast of all stars gets no mention.

The double standard is real.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-24-2016, 08:36 PM
So Magic can win a ring in his prime while being 5th option on his team in the finals in scoring while not even leading the team in assist in the finals at the same time and nobody brings that up against him.

Meanwhile Kobe is held under a microscope and every game where he wasn't perfect gets brought up.

Ok.

Imagine if Kobe had played with the teams Magic had, all we would hear about is "couldn't win without a stacke team"

Dudes on here bring up Pau Gasol as if he was some all time great help meanwhile Magic playing his entire career with the 2nd GOAT and a cast of all stars gets no mention.

The double standard is real.

Magic is the most babied alltime great easily

Refused to play in the NBA unless he was drafted by Lakers to play with Kareem, stacked rosters, terrible conference, mediocre defender

feyki
05-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Kobe is the GOAT Laker and hes also a better player than Magic straight up

nikkas ignore and give Magic such a big pass for his mediocre defense:facepalm Bird was a good defender, made all D teams, played great post and help D, amazing positioning and defensive rebounder

Magic by far gets the biggest pass for his defense out of any top 15 GOAT:facepalm

He was arguably the goat offensive player and better offensive player by far when comparing him to names like Kobe .

Peak,prime,career ; Magic has all above Kobe .

boldarblood
05-24-2016, 08:42 PM

I agree with this completely. Good take on it.

Boogey
05-24-2016, 08:48 PM
And kobe calls magic the best laker ever; it's called respect

TheMarkMadsen
05-24-2016, 08:49 PM
He was arguably the goat offensive player and better offensive player by far when comparing him to names like Kobe .

Peak,prime,career ; Magic has all above Kobe .

Eh more like one of the GOAT offensive players who looks like the arguable GOAT offensive player because he spent his entire career in a fast paced league while playing in a shit conference surrounded by the arguable GOAT and a cast full of all stars.

Top 5 all time but let's not act like he didn't have the most help in nba history beside him.

feyki
05-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Eh more like one of the GOAT offensive players who looks like the arguable GOAT offensive player because he spent his entire career in a fast paced league while playing in a shit conference surrounded by the arguable GOAT and a cast full of all stars.

Top 5 all time but let's not act like he didn't have the most help in nba history beside him.

He had . But my point was individual .

I don't think he's legit top 5 . I have Duncan above him , and Wilt,Jordan,Kareem,Russell for sure . But clearly one of the top 5 offensive force of all time .

Curry,Oscar,Magic,Nash and Jordan are/were top 5 in my mind .

And Kobe has close career to Magic for me . But Magic is above , Kobe is below . That's it .

sportjames23
05-24-2016, 09:11 PM

I see what you did there.

TheMilkyBarKid
05-25-2016, 12:22 AM

ok.
I said player to play for the lakers. This way it includes each players entire basketball resume.

Cold soul
05-25-2016, 12:28 AM

I can't really disagree with this I do however feel Kobe and Magic are close as overall players too one isn't much better than other same tier to me.

Big164
05-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Greatest Lakers

1. Kobe
2. Magic
3. West
4. Kareem
5. Shaq

Greatest players to play for Lakers

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Shaq
4. Magic
5. Kobe

R.I.P.
05-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Magic talks about MJ on Kimmel 800k views. Magic talkes about something else 200k-300k views. That

Cold soul
05-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Shaq and Kareem during their peaks with Lakers were two best players Lakers have ever had. I would easily take them over Kobe and Magic.

LAZERUSS
05-25-2016, 12:56 AM
All anyone has to do is to look at their Finals' resumes. Magic just blows Kobe away.

Kiddlovesnets
05-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Well Magic is a top 3 player of all time, hes definitely ahead of Kobe.

SouBeachTalents
05-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Greatest Lakers

1. Kobe
2. Magic
3. West
4. Kareem
5. Shaq

Greatest players to play for Lakers

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Shaq
4. Magic
5. Kobe

When they played for the Lakers? No way was Wilt better than Shaq, or even '80 Kareem

LAZERUSS
05-25-2016, 01:04 AM
When they played for the Lakers? No way was Wilt better than Shaq, or even '80 Kareem

That wasn't his point.

He doesn't even have Wilt in his list of greatest Lakers.

BUT, greatest players who at times played in LA, Chamberlain. And yes, he was a greater player than KAJ.

Big164
05-25-2016, 01:22 AM
They are better Lakers, but Wilt's better overall.

Wilt averaged more Rebounds per game than Shaq + Kareem combined.

Nevaeh
05-25-2016, 02:01 AM
All anyone has to do is to look at their Finals' resumes. Magic just blows Kobe away.

Not only that, Kobe-led teams were responsible for not 1, but 4 of the worst regular season records in Laker history, finishing this past season at 17-65. You ain't seeing a Magic-led team pull a stunt like that.

http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history/bestandworstseasons.htm

Even chubby, out of shape Magic's 95-96 team posted a 53-29 record, going 22-10 when Magic was on the court.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249111

LAZERUSS
05-25-2016, 02:11 AM
Not only that, Kobe-led teams were responsible for not 1, but 4 of the worst regular season records in Laker history, finishing this past season at 17-65. You ain't seeing a Magic-led team pull a stunt like that.

http://www.lakersuniverse.com/history/bestandworstseasons.htm

Even chubby, out of shape Magic's 95-96 team posted a 53-29 record, going 22-10 when Magic was on the court.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249111

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Hell, a past-his-prime Magic carried an injury-riddled shell of Showtime to a 57-22 record, and an upset of the 63-19 Blazers, and into the Finals in his last season (not counting that "come back" season in '96.)

Magic was the ultimate winner. The GOAT W-L% player in NBA history.

BedroomBully
05-25-2016, 03:18 AM

some random execs/coaches - Kobe is 2nd best

ok.
Kobe also said Magic was the best laker ever! So what's your point? Every expert out there has magic as 1! Deal with it.