PDA

View Full Version : Are Defensive Switches Overrated? (NBA)

jack612blue
05-31-2016, 02:54 AM
Like whenever i see Steph Curry guarding Ibaka, OKC immediately posts Ibaka up. And Ibaka usually bricks the **** out of the shot.

When going through Screens, why not switch everything? So no defender will be out of position.

When I play pickup, i switch everything. In fact i can guard 1-5.

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 02:55 AM
That's the defensive counter to these perimeter frenzy teams

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 02:56 AM
Few reasons

Firstly

Due to quality team play/ball movement/screens/etc, without a switch you are giving up open shots a lot of the time.. With a guy like Curry, you can understand why you'd never want to give him ANY space for a 3. In a lot of cases, a mismatch is better than an open, if only slightly, 3, for a guy like Curry. This is why I feel that the counter to these 3pt frenzy killer teams today, on the defense side is positionless, switching defense. 5 players on the court that can defend multiple positions.. We've seen teams do this.. You need some unique talent.

Another reason teams like to switch... For forced mismatch, which leads to predictable offense

Depends on circumstance. Spurs will sometimes force a mismatch here and there. With today's level of help defense/strongside flooding... It's easy to defend against predictable offense like a mismatch isolation...