PDA

View Full Version : Who does Curry guard in the finals?

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Got me thinking

Same situation with Westbrook, he'll probably not defend Kyrie...

So JR? Given, JR is not Roberson/Waiters... He's a very real threat you need to stay on.. Working through screens and what not.. Like Korver, or JJ Reddick

3ball
05-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Will Curry guard LBJ in the Finals?.. Otherwise, he's nowhere near MJ

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/spring-1991-los-angeles-lakers-magic-johnson-right-is-guarded-by-of-picture-id569162619

The 1991 matchup pitted the regular season MVP winner (MJ) vs. the runner-up (Magic), and both guys were top 5 all-time players - this has never happened before.. But MJ dominated the goat matchup - here are their overall stats for the series:

JORDAN 1991 FINALS:. 33/7/11 on 56%
MAGIC.. 1991 FINALS:. 19/7/13 on 43%

Jordan's GOAT two-way performance included being the primary defender on Magic - MJ guarded him for 14 of 20 quarters, which included holding Magic to 0-0-0 with 1 TO in critical Game 3 OT, shown here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtj8ovhp48&t=6m04s).

Obviously, MJ's defensive impact dwarfs Curry's - this is especially true against teams that have great perimeter players, since MJ can guard guys like Magic, Lebron, or Drexler, while Curry can only defend guys like Shumpert, Delly, etc.

Otoh, MJ performed Iggy's duties on defense by guarding Magic/Drexler, while still having a goat offensive impact - Jordan's 2-way ability is why he has 6 FMVP's, compared to Curry's 0.

DEFENSIVE ASSIGNMENTS BY QUARTER, 1991 FINALS:

Pippen guarded Magic for:

GAME 1: none
GAME 2: 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters
GAME 3: 2nd and 3rd quarters
GAME 4: the last 4 minutes of 4th quarter
GAME 5: none

Here's all 5 games in their entirety:

Game 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncUC9fSFdik
Game 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6AWPT6fG0
Game 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueGQChyFuU
Game 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO0LJVxaqD0
Game 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCNFQSBUe5c

Overall, MJ guarded Magic for 14 of 20 quarters (70%), compared to only 6 of 20 for Pippen (30%). [/SIZE]

sdot_thadon
05-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Got me thinking

Same situation with Westbrook, he'll probably not defend Kyrie...

So JR? Given, JR is not Roberson/Waiters... He's a very real threat you need to stay on.. Working through screens and what not.. Like Korver, or JJ Reddick
I believe he'll dip his toe in and test the water against kyrie, the Second kyrie scores a couple of buckets in a row or draw a foul on him expect a quick switch to klay. Kyrie isn't as physical a matchup as russ either so perhaps he could survive longer stretches on him. Never in all my years watching ball do I recall an mvp getting targeted on defense though, ridiculous.:oldlol:

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 07:51 AM
This could be an interesting dilemma

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 07:52 AM
I believe he'll dip his toe in and test the water against kyrie, the Second kyrie scores a couple of buckets in a row or draw a foul on him expect a quick switch to klay. Kyrie isn't as physical a matchup as russ either so perhaps he could survive longer stretches on him. Never in all my years watching ball do I recall an mvp getting targeted on defense though, ridiculous.:oldlol:
He's in a sense a flawed player

But it's just that he's so damn freaking good at one thing

3ball
05-31-2016, 07:59 AM

Here's ANOTHER reason why the Bulls would destroy the Warriors, while the Cavs can't:

Lebron plays SF, so he doesn't affect Curry and Klay defensively...

But against the Bulls, Klay would guard Jordan - and when Klay ISN'T guarding Jordan, he must either guard Pippen (mismatch) or sit on the bench (hurts the Warriors' offense).

PsychoBe
05-31-2016, 08:00 AM

he shutdown durant :roll: :roll: :roll:

ImKobe
05-31-2016, 08:04 AM
they'll probably put him on JR

moongaze
05-31-2016, 08:09 AM
they'll probably put him on JR

Lol. Jrs gotta be licking his chops. I like jr in these matchups with shooters. He's shut reddick and korver down while draining three after three on them.

steve franchise
05-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Either Bogut or Green

INDI
05-31-2016, 08:20 AM
Who guards curry???

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2016, 08:22 AM
Who guards curry???
Shump, Delly, Kyrie most likely

Kingwillball
05-31-2016, 08:58 AM

Yup plus JR and Bron will in limited minutes. Lebron should Guard Green and IGGY most of the time.

ballinhun8
05-31-2016, 11:00 AM

So if it's shump or Delly then they're not gonna be as explosive on Offense and if Irving is in the game then I'm guessing he'll be guarding Klay and well, damn Klay might just win fmvp.

Kiddlovesnets
05-31-2016, 11:07 AM
I dont think you need to guard JR. His shots are just totally based on his own form, which is random from game to game. Defending him is pointless as defense has little to zero impact on whether he makes a shot, he hits contested threes when hes feeling it, and he misses wide open shots when hes out of form.

warriorfan
05-31-2016, 11:17 AM
I dont know

he did a good job on westbrook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2W5GNL118

PP34Deuce
05-31-2016, 11:28 AM

People got mad at me when I compared his game to Randy Moss of the NFL.

Moss never went to the middle like a TO or Rice, but he could do the deep ball at an incredibly high level. It's not even really an insult. take away the deep ball from Randy and you saw lethargic play in other areas.

Curry would dissappear after not getting 3's. People will mention the assists, but Klay would just flat out shoot on those bail out shots and make them.

Gileraracer
05-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Better question: Will Lebron again guard himself and brick 61% of his shots?

Straight_Ballin
05-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Delly can't guard finals version of Curry for even one game without being hospitalized. He may slow him down for one game but it won't be enough and he is by far their best defender on Curry.

Kingwillball
05-31-2016, 11:41 AM
I dont think you need to guard JR. His shots are just totally based on his own form, which is random from game to game. Defending him is pointless as defense has little to zero impact on whether he makes a shot, he hits contested threes when hes feeling it, and he misses wide open shots when hes out of form.

True but once he gets hot look out can put on a curry/Klay type of shooting show for a game or two which for Cavs is gravy. He just needs to see one go in and he can knock down 6-7 more in a game.

ImKobe
05-31-2016, 11:43 AM

So that's why you stick Curry on him... Kyrie will make shots but Curry will wear himself out guarding him. As great as Russ is he can't handle the ball like Kyrie does, Kyrie will break Steph ankles.

PP34Deuce
05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
True but once he gets hot look out can put on a curry/Klay type of shooting show for a game or two which for Cavs is gravy. He just needs to see one go in and he can knock down 6-7 more in a game.

I've always felt, the first quarter needs to be dedicated to getting Love and Smith involved. When JR get's easy buckets, his confident comes up. I'd like to see 1-2 ISO plays where he goes to the basket and some back door cuts.

kamil
05-31-2016, 11:45 AM
If JJ Barea can shut down LeShortcut, then so can Curry.

riseagainst
05-31-2016, 11:57 AM

:roll:
:lol

livingby3's
05-31-2016, 12:16 PM

this might actually work and will be hilarious :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
06-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Turns out he guarded no one most of the time (but that backfired because he fouled out reaching for steals).

Then they put him on Kyrie... then Kyrie hit the game winner on him.