PDA

View Full Version : The NBA needs to re-evaluate who it labels "superstars" these days

Showtime80'
05-31-2016, 10:15 AM
To me the superstar label is reserved for guys that not only LEAD their teams and put up great numbers but ALSO CAME THROUGH IN THE CLUTCH TO WIN TITLES!!! Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isiah, Kareem, Olajuwon, Drexler, Dr J, Shaq, Kobe etc... It's not about commercials or notoriety, the NBA at the end of the day is about winning the title, NOTHING ELSE!

Players like Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Wilkins, Ewing, Payton, Kemp, Bernard King were UPPER ECHELON STARS but to me they were not superstars because THEY NEVER got it done when everything was on the money.

Durant and Westbrick do not belong in that superstar category, they are Bernard King's until they prove they can get it done when it matters.

The present NBA has only 2 superstars, Curry and LeBron, that's it!

Overdrive
05-31-2016, 10:20 AM
To me the superstar label is reserved for guys that not only LEAD their teams and put up great numbers but ALSO CAME THROUGH IN THE CLUTCH TO WIN TITLES!!! Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isiah, Kareem, Olajuwon, Drexler, Dr J, Shaq, Kobe etc... It's not about commercials or notoriety, the NBA at the end of the day is about winning the title, NOTHING ELSE!

Players like Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Wilkins, Ewing, Payton, Kemp, Bernard King were UPPER ECHELON STARS but to me they were not superstars because THEY NEVER got it done when everything was on the money.

Durant and Westbrick do not belong in that superstar category, they are Bernard King's until they prove they can get it done when it matters.

Coming through as single player is so circumstancial. Magic choked as much as he came through. Is he half superstar half scrub then? All you need is one win to totally change the perception.

Showtime80'
05-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Exactly my point! Magic had two titles before the 1984 disaster in the Finals and won three more after that. Hell check out his Finals series in 1980 during HIS ROOKIE SEASON!!! Winning his third championship in four years at three different levels! Magic Johnson was clutch coming out of the womb!!!

Until Durant and Westbrook win AT LEAST ONE, they are not even in the same vicinity of the superstar label!

Boogaboog
05-31-2016, 11:00 AM

Agreed.