PDA

View Full Version : Peak KD or Peak McGrady?

oarabbus
05-31-2016, 11:40 PM
Stolen from AirTupac's other thread. What say you ISH?

McGrady peak year: 32/6.5/5.5/1.7stl/.8blk on 46/38/79

KD peak year (thus far): 32/7.5/5.5/1.3stl/.7blk on 50/39/87

AirTupac
05-31-2016, 11:41 PM
At least give me credit. Peak Tmac was more exciting, electrifying and just better for the NBA. Both career losers, but you pick Tmac.

Fudge
Both are probably my favorite players ever but it's Durant, and it isn't even close.

TomCat
Tmac. His game was butter.

and he never had a second option as good as westbrook. Yao or him was always out.

BlazerRed
KD, no hesitation.

AirTupac
05-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Put it this way. Tmac with OKC would be in the finals and probably champions. He wouldnt be a vag and just defer to Westbrook and have like 6 shots in the first half of game 7. :facepalm

oarabbus
05-31-2016, 11:42 PM
At least give me credit. Peak Tmac was more exciting, electrifying and just better for the NBA. Both career losers, but you pick Tmac.

Edited; credit given.

Put it this way. Tmac with OKC would be in the finals and probably champions. He wouldnt be a vag and just defer to Westbrook and have like 6 shots in the first half of game 7. :facepalm

I see where you're coming from but nah though. Dubs were not being denied :banana:

AirTupac
05-31-2016, 11:43 PM
Edited; credit given.

Future repped for being a great ISH guy

imdaman99
05-31-2016, 11:46 PM
Nice troll thread taken from another troll :facepalm

Look beyond the stats. KD won MVP and was dominant and was a top 2 or 3 seed in the loaded West. They were a Ginobli 3 away from forcing a game 7 against a Spurs team that undressed their competition in the Finals.

Smook A.
05-31-2016, 11:46 PM
Their numbers are almost exactly the same, but Durant was more efficient. Even as a big T-Mac fan I have to take peak Durant.

PickernRoller
05-31-2016, 11:48 PM
I like McGrady's game more. Injuries killed him no doubt. KD is a greater player...can't fault him for not breaking down to little pieces.

AirTupac
05-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Tmac with Durant's cast would have rings. No question. Tmac never had anything close to Durant's STACKED team. McGrady also played in a heavier MVP candidate race i.e - Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, KG, CP3 etc. It was more than a 2 man race like it is these days.

Smoke117
05-31-2016, 11:51 PM
Easily Kevin Durant.

BigNBAfan
05-31-2016, 11:54 PM
Tmac with Durant's cast would have rings. No question. Tmac never had anything close to Durant's STACKED team. McGrady also played in a heavier MVP candidate race i.e - Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, KG, CP3 etc. It was more than a 2 man race like it is these days.

Umm Tmac had one of the best teams ever with Yao... only problem was the Lakers. Some say Tmac's houstons were like 90s Jazz. Completely looked over because of a more dominant team

Fudge
05-31-2016, 11:55 PM
Let me know when McGrady wins a league MVP while leading a team to the 2nd seed in the West, with his second best player during the time being Reggie Jackson. :oldlol:

masonanddixon
05-31-2016, 11:56 PM
McGrady obviously.

Durant has had one of the greatest supporting casts ever, just imagine if Dirk had those guys.

BlazerRed
05-31-2016, 11:57 PM
:roll: :roll: :facepalm

Bankaii
06-01-2016, 12:11 AM
How many MVPs does Tmac have again?:oldlol:

AirTupac
06-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Steve Nash is 2x MVP.

Nash > Kobe, KG, CP3, Durant, Tmac

:facepalm

TheReal Kendall
06-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Tmac

Real14
06-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Durant by large margin.

Born Sinner
06-01-2016, 12:54 AM
How many MVPs does Tmac have again?:oldlol:
Durcants competition - le2/6

Tmacs - kobe duncan shaq dirk le0/1

Youre the biggest bitch on this board. Lebrick doesnt know you defend him. Hed let you die in a fire

Bankaii
06-01-2016, 01:34 AM
Durcants competition - le2/6

Tmacs - kobe duncan shaq dirk le0/1

Youre the biggest bitch on this board. Lebrick doesnt know you defend him. Hed let you die in a fire
You seriously getting this mad over Lebron:roll:

Bankaii
06-01-2016, 01:41 AM
Steve Nash is 2x MVP.

Nash > Kobe, KG, CP3, Durant, Tmac

:facepalm
How many playoff series has Tmac won?
How many Finals has Tmac led a team to?
How many 60 win teams has he led a team to?
How many times has he missed the playoffs?
Why does he have less Allstar appearances, all-NBA teams, scoring championships, etc even though KD is barely halfway into his career?

Just stop, it's not even debatable.

MiseryCityTexas
06-01-2016, 01:54 AM

Yao Ming alone was better than the majority of Durant's current roster. Rocket's management at the time thought that T-Mac, Yao, and a washed up Juwon Howard was all they needed to get a ring.:oldlol:

ncrizzle
06-01-2016, 01:59 AM
Thats tough.

Young X
06-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Let's compare their accolades and team success like McGrady ever played with someone like Westbrook or Harden in his prime. Yeah, that's smart.

Lebron23
06-01-2016, 02:28 AM
Kevin Durant. He's a better version of Mcgrady.

oarabbus
06-01-2016, 02:39 AM
Let's compare their accolades and team success like McGrady ever played with someone like Westbrook or Harden in his prime. Yeah, that's smart.

Tmac had this pretty good teammate named Yao Ming

Young X
06-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Tmac had this pretty good teammate named Yao MingNot in 2003.

masonanddixon
06-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Tmac had this pretty good teammate named Yao Ming

The West back then was far better than it is now.

Bankaii
06-01-2016, 03:00 AM
Is that why KD is superior in individual stats both traditional and advanced as well? Or why KD is the superior player in the RS and especially in the playoffs?

And don't give me the team excuse.
Those early Raptor teams with VC were good. And before you give me the age excuse KD in his 3rd year was leading his team to the playoffs while averaging 30/8/3 on 48% (his next closest teammate had HALF of his PPG).
Or those Houston teams with Yao whom out scored him multiple times?

Instead of throwing petty insults support you claim.

Bankaii
06-01-2016, 03:00 AM
:roll: :facepalm

Zeppelin
06-01-2016, 03:18 AM
I love T-mac. I still have his 13 points in 35 seconds as he greatest scoring burst ever, above Steph's 17 in OT and Klay's 37 in a quarter.
But Kevin Durant is undeniably the much greater player. If he retired today he'd be on my shortlist of the greatest scorers ever. T-mac isn't.

Young X
06-01-2016, 03:21 AM
Is that why KD is superior in individual stats both traditional and advanced as well? Or why KD is the superior player in the RS and especially in the playoffs?

And don't give me the team excuse.
Those early Raptor teams with VC were good. And before you give me the age excuse KD in his 3rd year was leading his team to the playoffs while averaging 30/8/3 on 48% (his next closest teammate had HALF of his PPG).
Or those Houston teams with Yao whom out scored him multiple times?

Instead of throwing petty insults support you claim.We talking about peaks.

2003 was clearly much better than any of McGrady's other seasons.

Look at his roster that year.

You see any future HOF's? Do you even see any above average players?

I'm not even saying McGrady was better or worse than Durant but this "KD already got to the finals argument" shit is stupid. Like McGrady was playing with future HOF's and MVP candidates in Orlando. Like McGrady had the luxury of having a teammate that could clearly outplay him in the postseason multiple times.

Dragonyeuw
06-01-2016, 03:30 AM
All in all you have to take Durant's career over Tmac's easily, as players its not that cut and dry. Tmac was playing in a stacked shooting guard era, a much better era overall for superstar talent, and a decidedly tougher defensive era. Transport Durant back to 2000-2004, and the physical defense of the period will impact his efficiency. We've seen how he can be impacted by physical defense nowadays to reasonably extrapolate that. He probably puts up similar ppg on lower TS%, and no more than 6 rebounds or so. He can get away with 7-8 rebounds this era, but not a decade or more ago.

Peak Tmac individually would flourish today. He had a smoother handle, great midrange game, athleticism, bit better slasher, better passer. I can easily see 2003 Tmac putting up Durant's mvp season scoring numbers, around the same number of rebounds, and more assists assuming he's not playing with Westbrook, or even if he was Tmac was just a flatout better passer/playmaker. In terms of team success, he lacked that extra 'ommpphh' that would have led to true greatness exasperated by his injuries, but put 2003 Tmac on this years OKC squad, and I think they possibly beat GS. I don't see him choking away in crunch-time with careless turnovers or being passive on offense like Durant was in game 7 for 3 quarters. Unfortunately we never saw peak Tmac with a great team; the Orlando Magic were complete shit talentwise and once he got to the Rockets, his back was already a factor combined with Yao having his own injury issues.

oarabbus
06-01-2016, 03:32 AM

Two historically great teams in the same season now... nah.

AirTupac
06-01-2016, 03:48 AM
All in all you have to take Durant's career over Tmac's easily, as players its not that cut and dry. Tmac was playing in a stacked shooting guard era, a much better era overall for superstar talent, and a decidedly tougher defensive era. Transport Durant back to 2000-2004, and the physical defense of the period will impact his efficiency. We've seen how he can be impacted by physical defense nowadays to reasonably extrapolate that. He probably puts up similar ppg on lower TS%, and no more than 6 rebounds or so. He can get away with 7-8 rebounds this era, but not a decade or more ago.

Peak Tmac individually would flourish today. He had a smoother handle, great midrange game, athleticism, bit better slasher, better passer. I can easily see 2003 Tmac putting up Durant's mvp season scoring numbers, around the same number of rebounds, and more assists assuming he's not playing with Westbrook, or even if he was Tmac was just a flatout better passer/playmaker. In terms of team success, he lacked that extra 'ommpphh' that would have led to true greatness exasperated by his injuries, but put 2003 Tmac on this years OKC squad, and I think they possibly beat GS. I don't see him choking away in crunch-time with careless turnovers or being passive on offense like Durant was in game 7 for 3 quarters. Unfortunately we never saw peak Tmac with a great team; the Orlando Magic were complete shit talentwise and once he got to the Rockets, his back was already a factor combined with Yao having his own injury issues.

Fantastic post

masonanddixon
06-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Two historically great teams in the same season now... nah.

Historically great? Pretty much everyone admits this is the worst the league has ever been.

This Warriors squad is the worst champion of the 2000s by far.

Meticode
06-01-2016, 05:01 AM
Kevin Durant. I think Durant's biggest issue is playing with someone who demands the ball more than him in Westbrook. Westbrook had the highest usage rate in the playoffs out of any single player. That's just not going to work when you have someone like Durant who can easily score if he wants to.

Nikola_
06-01-2016, 05:06 AM
durants problem is having westbrook on his team. tmacs problem is not having "westbrook" on his team.

BigBoss
06-01-2016, 06:24 AM
02-03 T-Mac .

Half of you weren't alive

Kiddlovesnets
06-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Mcgrady is a 2nd round virgin, what else do you think? However people hate on KD, hes a way better player than the choke artist known as Tracey Mcgrady.

NBAGOAT
06-01-2016, 07:00 AM
it's durant. Tmac's game is prettier he's got a better handle better footwork etc but Durant's just better at shooting it from everywhere that year and better at finishing at the rim. He shot 80% from 0-3 ft that year which is Shaq level. Comparing playoff success that year is stupid and tmac dealt with much more competition for the mvp that year(peak Duncan, close to peak Shaq, close to peak Garnett, possibly peak Kobe vs close to peak Lebron, peak Griffin, close to peak Harden, prime Curry, and close to peak Paul) but I'm pretty sure Durant could've carried a weak team to the playoffs that year like Tmac and some others have done.

Kvnzhangyay
06-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Umm Tmac had one of the best teams ever with Yao... only problem was the Lakers. Some say Tmac's houstons were like 90s Jazz. Completely looked over because of a more dominant team

They woulda beat the Lakers that one year, except Yao was injured

AirTupac
06-01-2016, 09:23 AM
> Calls Tmac a choke artist
> Chokes a 3-1 lead against Warriors
> Choked in finals harder than any other star not named LeBron vs the Spurs

feyki
06-01-2016, 09:44 AM
> Calls Tmac a choke artist
> Chokes a 3-1 lead against Warriors
> Choked in finals harder than any other star not named LeBron vs the Spurs

T-Mac's Pistons series choke was worst of all time .

Durant did play very well in game 7 too .

Peak wise , both seems very similar .

Career wise , Durant . And Durant by far when his career over .

bizil
06-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Well said! Peak wise, I think T Mac is a top 5 SG of all time. Plus he could run the PG and SF at his peak. Mac was like a mix between the Iceman and Penny Hardaway. KD at nearly 6'11 is an anomaly due to his shooting and handles at that height. He's one of the greatest shooters of all time so I'll give him that facet over T Mac. But BESIDES THAT, T Mac was just as good or better than Durant at everything else.

Draz
06-01-2016, 08:33 PM
TMAC was far more entertaining and exciting to watch. Durant is a snoozefest. I rather watch Melo take us to 4 more years of no playoffs than boring ass Durant take us to first seed