PDA

View Full Version : Marv Albert is past it

ArbitraryWater
06-01-2016, 08:31 AM
50% of his commentary is excusing Curry's play by mentioning he's hurt, and always being 10 seconds behind the play...

Charge taken and the crowd reacts? '...and it goes the other way!' thx Marv

Two feet inside the 3-point line? '.. and it was a TWO pointer' thx

sd3035
06-01-2016, 08:36 AM
50% of his commentary is excusing Curry's play by mentioning he's hurt, and always being 10 seconds behind the play...

Charge taken and the crowd reacts? '...and it goes the other way!' thx Marv

Two feet inside the 3-point line? '.. and it was a TWO pointer' thx

meltdown

JohnnySic
06-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Marv Alebert sucks. He always sucked.

I hate the way he makes routine, forgettable plays sound like the winning play in the NBA finals:

"And Adams, with the reverse layup! The_score_is_tied_at_4".

And how he provides a running g tally of how many points the star player has after every single point scored:

*Curry hits 3 pointer* - "Curry for 3! Curry, now with 18 points"

*Curry makes free throw* - "Curry, now with 19"

*Curry makes another free throw* - "Curry........now with 20 points"

Just call the game and spare me the theatrics. Better yet, just go away.

Rake2204
06-01-2016, 08:40 AM
At first i thought he was just struggling to hear over raucous playoff crowds (accidentally calling a charge a block, that type of thing). But his weird mis-calls seem to have extended beyond that. Chris Webber corrected him in the booth on numerous occasions, which is unusual.

I'll just say, there were enough mixups that it I felt compelled to look up his age to see if some form of senility may have been setting in (he's 74). He's still be mostly great in my opinion though, just with those weird moments here or there where he gets a call wrong (foul/block, time-out/foul, etc).

Marv Alebert sucks. He always sucked.

I hate the way he makes routine, forgettable plays sound like the winning play in the NBA finals:

"And Adams, with the reverse layup! The_score_is_tied_at_4". Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Marv Albert is an all-time favorite of mine, far eclipsing most national play-by-play guys I've ever heard (outside of maybe Kevin Harlan). I always thought he did a great job with conveying excitement without sounding inauthentic.

Not that it matters for anything, but I'd take Marv Albert any day of the week over a guy like Mike Breen. Even Albert's repetitious catch phrases seem 100 times more natural than Breen's overly manufactured "Bang".

Albert's one of the best to ever do it, in my opinion. He's just sounded a little off of late.

ArbitraryWater
06-01-2016, 08:42 AM
He's definitely a likeable guy, but yeah, can't gloss over 74.

NBAGOAT
06-01-2016, 08:45 AM
future is bright for tnt however broadcasting wise. Everyone likes Kevin Harlan and Ian Eagle is pretty underrated as a broadcaster.

Nilocon165
06-01-2016, 08:45 AM
He takes FOREVER to know what the call is. The golden state crowd could be throwing their shit at the referee and he'll go "I believe they've called a foul on ibaka"

SpaceJam
06-01-2016, 08:48 AM
He's definitely a likeable guy, but yeah, can't gloss over 74.

Yeah he's a real SWELL guy :roll:

A 42-year-old woman named Vanessa Perhach accused Albert of throwing her on a bed, biting her, and forcing her to perform oral sex after a February 12, 1997 argument in his Pentagon City hotel room.During the trial, testimony was presented from another woman, Patricia Masden, who told the jury that Albert had bitten her on two different occasions in 1993 and 1994 in Miami and Dallas hotels, which she viewed as unwanted sexual advances. Masden claimed that in Dallas, Albert called her to his hotel room to help him send a fax, only for her to find him wearing "white panties and garter belt".

Prime_Shaq
06-01-2016, 09:06 AM
His voice is a classic though.

Akrazotile
06-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah he's a real SWELL guy :roll:

What's the problem here? :lol

BlazerRed
06-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Agreed

Parps
06-01-2016, 10:49 AM
A 42-year-old woman named Vanessa Perhach accused Albert of throwing her on a bed, biting her, and forcing her to perform oral sex after a February 12, 1997 argument in his Pentagon City hotel room.During the trial, testimony was presented from another woman, Patricia Masden, who told the jury that Albert had bitten her on two different occasions in 1993 and 1994 in Miami and Dallas hotels, which she viewed as unwanted sexual advances. Masden claimed that in Dallas, Albert called her to his hotel room to help him send a fax, only for her to find him wearing "white panties and garter belt".

When she walked in, did he give her the classic "YESSSSSS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1kApvEPiY

Proctor
06-01-2016, 11:09 AM
I don't get how he is as well received as he is. He's not bad and I don't struggle to listen to him (which is more than I can say for plenty of other guys in his position) but he is clearly getting senile. He makes mistakes one after another that I can detect paying 1/4 attention to the game.

I've always been bothered by the way he drags out pronouncing the names, and he does it so often that it's apparent he doesn't do it to convey any sense of excitement. It's annoying.

"KUH......RIS......STAPS.....POR. ZINGUS!"

"RUSSSS....SELL....WESTBROOK!"

"LE.....ANDRO...BARBOSA!" :biggums:

ballinhun8
06-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Don't ever disrespect a legend like Marv. This guys voice is the NBA. Along with Harman, he's one of the best guys in the business. If only he and Walton could commentate one more game together.....

And Costas too. Love that guy.

ROCSteady
06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
I feel really uncomfortable that Reggie calls Marv Albert "Marvelous" as his name when addressing him.

It's VERY bringe-inducing because he doesn't just do it for fun as a one off, he refers to Albert as Marvelous almost like a pet name and did it constantly like it was his real name

NewYorkNoPicks
06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Always enjoyed Marv and the hype he brings to games.

But Kevin Harlan has been the best in the business for a couple of years now

ArbitraryWater
06-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Don't ever disrespect a legend like Marv. This guys voice is the NBA. Along with Harman, he's one of the best guys in the business. If only he and Walton could commentate one more game together.....

And Costas too. Love that guy.

Harman? You mean Harlan? :facepalm

Marv is a legend, but he's past it now..

Harlan is a boss. Best calls in the league. Walton was cool, too.

ArbitraryWater
06-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Marv's classics:

-"YESSS!"
-"Serving up a FACIAL!"
-"Re-JECTED"
-"from WAY downtown!"

senelcoolidge
06-01-2016, 04:36 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/smitherock_photo/images_zps6fb50f65.jpg

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/on-marv-albert-sexual-assault-and-separating-the-voice-from-the-man/

Lakers Legend#32
06-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Marv and Brent Musberger are both well past their sell-date.

ScalsFan21
06-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Yeah Marv has tailed off for sure. Harlan, Eagle and even Breen are all much better, though breen's obsession with technical fouls is just embarrassing with how much he talks about them.