PDA

View Full Version : Did Jordan ever score only 11pts in a finals game?

AirBonner
06-03-2016, 02:51 PM
with the recent comparisons between Curry and Jordan's offense I think it is safe to say after game one that Curry is no where near Jordan on offense.

Gileraracer
06-03-2016, 03:00 PM
No but a W is a W

kamil
06-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Has any supposed GOAT player ever scored 8 points in a finals game?

KiiiiNG
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Both Bird AND LeBron did... and both are still GOAT candidates. Larry actually did it in back 2 back finals games!

But for someone like Curry.. who's only good at scoring and worthless at everything else... 11 points is unforgivable. Didn't think he could play any worse than he did last year, but he's full of surprises! :bowdown:

DoctorP
06-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Curry is no GOAT. But he is unique

SouBeachTalents
06-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Kobe did in 2000
Bird did twice in a row in '81
Shaq had games he scored 9 & 5 points in '06
Wilt scored scored 8 or less 3 times in '69
Russell probably did it 2 dozen times in his career

Not excusing LeBron's horrendous game, but it's happened many times in the past

kamil
06-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Kobe did in 2000

Damn.

KungFuJoe
06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Jordan is the GOAT.

ArbitraryWater
06-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Kobe did in 2000

I think Magic did it as well, or at least had a 10 pt. game.

kamil
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Both Bird AND LeBron did... and both are still GOAT candidates. Larry actually did it in back 2 back finals games!

But for someone like Curry.. who's only good at scoring and worthless at everything else... 11 points is unforgivable. Didn't think he could play any worse than he did last year, but he's full of surprises! :bowdown:

Let's also keep in mind 2 of those 8 points came off a flop. So.... 6 points.

PP34Deuce
06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Steph Curry is the Randy Moss of the NBA.

People get mad at that comparison but it's not that far off.

Elite ability at one thing
Take away that one thing and their effort suffers.
HOF caliber players based off doing one thing incredibly well like a savant.

Hey Yo
06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
For a Finals game.....11 points is the lowest point total by a current league MVP that logged 30mins or more.

ImKobe
06-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Kobe did in 2000

Kobe was playing with injury, first game back played 47 minutes on a sprained ankle, made sense he would struggle in the next game, only 21 years old as well

Bird was in his 2nd season

Shaq was way out of his prime

Wilt wasn't in his prime either

Russell wasn't known for his scoring

Curry did this in his prime after winning unanimous mvp :biggums:

NBASTATMAN
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
JORDAN DIDNT BUT KOBE DID IN 2004 GAME 3... Billups and Hamilton also torched him that game...

4-13 11 PTS 5 ASSISTS and 4 Turnovers

ImKobe
06-03-2016, 04:17 PM
JORDAN DIDNT BUT KOBE DID IN 2004 GAME 3... Billups and Hamilton also torched him that game...

4-13 11 PTS 5 ASSISTS and 4 Turnovers

Shaq also had only 14 points on 14 shots and was in foul trouble all game, so the Pistons could just double/triple Kobe because Malone was injured and the rest of the team was anemic to say the least.

KiiiiNG
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Huge insult to Moss.

Moss is arguably the greatest athlete in NFL history. Curry's a feeble kid who can shoot 3's, and without that skill he'd be an accountant. Moss could've been a professional basketball player if he wanted... he's an all-time great athlete.. so **** no, curry is not the moss of the NFL, that's ridiculous.

You gotta compare Curry to a baseball pitcher or an NFL kicker if you wanna talk about elite at one thing. Moss was too good of an athlete to be put in the same sentence as weakling Steph.

SouBeachTalents
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=ImKobe]Kobe was playing with injury, first game back played 47 minutes on a sprained ankle, made sense he would struggle in the next game, only 21 years old as well

Curry did this in his prime after winning unanimous mvp :biggums:[/QUOTE

That post was in response to someone asking if any other ATG besides LeBron scored 8 points in a Finals game. I'm in full agreement with you, I've said in other threads Curry's game last night was the worst Finals performance by an MVP of all time

3ball
06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Jordan's Finals-low was 22 points.

In 179 playoff games, Jordan has 6 games below 20 points, with a low of 15

goat, and it's not close

Jasper
06-03-2016, 05:20 PM

thats a pretty good analogy .....

I have a sneaky feeling Curry and Thompson are the next chancey B. and his running mate of the two peat Detroit era. :sleeping

Bake_Show
06-03-2016, 05:59 PM
It would matter more probably if they lost.

Relinquish
06-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Kobe did in 2000

Magic also had an 8 point finals game.

branslowski
06-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Huge insult to Moss.

Moss is arguably the greatest athlete in NFL history. Curry's a feeble kid who can shoot 3's, and without that skill he'd be an accountant. Moss could've been a professional basketball player if he wanted... he's an all-time great athlete.. so **** no, curry is not the moss of the NFL, that's ridiculous.

You gotta compare Curry to a baseball pitcher or an NFL kicker if you wanna talk about elite at one thing. Moss was too good of an athlete to be put in the same sentence as weakling Steph.

Feeble kid who's won back to back MVPs and is first unanimous MVP in league history, makes sense.:coleman:

tmacattack33
06-03-2016, 09:29 PM
with the recent comparisons between Curry and Jordan's offense I think it is safe to say after game one that Curry is no where near Jordan on offense.

That is an illogical conclusion based on what happened last night.

A logical conclusion that can be made based on last night's game is that Curry's teammates are amazing.

It says nothing about Curry...except that he wasn't selfish enough to go out of his way to put up shots just to increase his point total.

Mr Feeny
06-04-2016, 12:07 AM

Bird lebron and Kobe. Tbf, the last one isn't a top 10 player. But worth mentioning anyway. 4-20 shooting as well:biggums:

Mr Feeny
06-04-2016, 12:12 AM

4-13 11 PTS 5 ASSISTS and 4 TurnoversHe was especially pathetic that series. 37% from the field and kept hogging the ball while sabotaging the Lakers chances of winning the championship in his pursuit of getting the finals mvp.

Phil Jackson immediately wrote a book trashing him and his play that entire season. "Uncoachable". Selfish. Demanded that he be traded. But we digress.

As bad as Curry was last night, he's nowhere near as bad as Kobe was in 2004, or in 2000. It's only been 1 game. Let's come back to this after the series. No way Curry shoots or plays as badly as Kobe did. He's just a better player.

LAZERUSS
06-04-2016, 12:27 AM
He was especially pathetic that series. 37% from the field and kept hogging the ball while sabotaging the Lakers chances of winning the championship in his pursuit of getting the finals mvp.

Phil Jackson immediately wrote a book trashing him and his play that entire season. "Uncoachable". Selfish. Demanded that he be traded. But we digress.

As bad as Curry was last night, he's nowhere near as bad as Kobe was in 2004, or in 2000. It's only been 1 game. Let's come back to this after the series. No way Curry shoots or plays as badly as Kobe did. He's just a better player.

And get back to me when Glass puts up back-to-back playoff series like a 22 year old Kobe...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2001-nba-western-conference-semifinals-kings-vs-lakers.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2001-nba-western-conference-finals-lakers-vs-spurs.html

And with games like these...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105130SAC.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105190SAS.html

BTW, the Spurs were the best defensive team in the league that season...

Oh, and you can actually watch that 48-16 game by Kobe, as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7QZaZJu2yM

Finals?

How about comparing just one of Kobe's against GAC's last season Finals...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2002-nba-finals-nets-vs-lakers.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

Kobe's was better across the board, and ESPECIALLY in EFFICIENCY... .623 to .585!

Oh, and while Kobe was losing out on the FMVP to SHAQ...your boy Glass was losing out to a role player off the bench.

So, again... get back to me when NIC accomplishes something like that in his post-season career...

DCL
06-04-2016, 01:16 AM
i ain't looking it up, but i believe jordan's finals average was higher than his regular season average. he just cranked shit up when he smelled the trophy.

a 22 point game would had been a shitty game for him.

the thing with jordan was he was marketed like hell, more than any other athlete in history, but he backed all the hype up and delivered the goods.

after he entered prime, i don't think he scored only 8 again until he was an old gimpy 39yo fart in a wizards uniform.

Lamar Odumbb
06-04-2016, 02:10 AM
[QUOTE=ImKobe]Kobe was playing with injury, first game back played 47 minutes on a sprained ankle, made sense he would struggle in the next game, only 21 years old as well

Curry did this in his prime after winning unanimous mvp :biggums:[/QUOTE

That post was in response to someone asking if any other ATG besides LeBron scored 8 points in a Finals game. I'm in full agreement with you, I've said in other threads Curry's game last night was the worst Finals performance by an MVP of all time

Yeah it was bad. He seriously looked like a 12 year old kid on those MTV shows where the rich dad throws a party and invites NBA players to play with his son who sucks.

Mr Feeny
06-04-2016, 02:20 AM
And get back to me when Glass puts up back-to-back playoff series like a 22 year old Kobe...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2001-nba-western-conference-semifinals-kings-vs-lakers.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2001-nba-western-conference-finals-lakers-vs-spurs.html

And with games like these...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105130SAC.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105190SAS.html

BTW, the Spurs were the best defensive team in the league that season...

Oh, and you can actually watch that 48-16 game by Kobe, as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7QZaZJu2yM

Finals?

How about comparing just one of Kobe's against GAC's last season Finals...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2002-nba-finals-nets-vs-lakers.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

Kobe's was better across the board, and ESPECIALLY in EFFICIENCY... .623 to .585!

Oh, and while Kobe was losing out on the FMVP to SHAQ...your boy Glass was losing out to a role player off the bench.

So, again... get back to me when NIC accomplishes something like that in his post-season career...

We're talking about a Finals series. You can jump around and digress all you want.
Kobe's 2004 is possible the worst finals in nba history for a guy with his usage rate.

I'm willing to make a huge bet here. If Curry ends up shooting as badly as Kobe did in 2004, I'll leave this forum forever.
If he puts up better than that, you leave.

Come back to me when you have the cajones to accept my bet.

Lamar Odumbb
06-04-2016, 02:28 AM
We're talking about a Finals series. You can jump around and digress all you want.
Kobe's 2004 is possible the worst finals in nba history for a guy with his usage rate.

I'm willing to make a huge bet here. If Curry ends up shooting as badly as Kobe did in 2004, I'll leave this forum forever.
If he puts up better than that, you leave.

Come back to me when you have the cajones to accept my bet.

Lebron 2007 finals, usage rate 36.1 and his TS % is .428

Kobe 2004 finals usage rate 30.4 and his TS % is .456

Mr Feeny
06-04-2016, 02:31 AM

They didn't have the same defensive attention. One had Shaq, Malone, Payton and Fisher. The entire pistons defense focusing on Shaq and Kobe sabotaged the 2004 Lakers by chucking ay the tune of 37% while Shaq was killing Wallace at 63% but couldn't get a touch of the ball:roll:

Phil Jackson thinks so atleast. Which is why he immediately wrote a book trashing Kobe for his selfishness in the 2004 finals :lebronamazed:

LeBron otoh dragged a bunch of scrubs that would have won the lottery without him to the finals almost single handedly. Ofcourse, had more assists and rebounds and was a better player overall than Kobe was even while being triple teamed bc the spurs didn't have to worry about anyone else on the cavs :D

LAZERUSS
06-04-2016, 05:09 AM

Clearly, LeChoke's '07 was the worst Finals ever by a Top-10 player in their primes...which, BTW, Kobe is as well.

Asukal
06-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Clearly, LeChoke's '07 was the worst Finals ever by a Top-10 player in their primes...which, BTW, Kobe is as well.

Not as bad as ILt in 69 and 70 game sevens. :oldlol: :lol :hammerhead:

ImKobe
06-04-2016, 09:56 AM
He was especially pathetic that series. 37% from the field and kept hogging the ball while sabotaging the Lakers chances of winning the championship in his pursuit of getting the finals mvp.

he kept hogging the ball, yet somehow Shaq was able to average 27 ppg and have a usage rating almost as high as Kobe's after being a 20 ppg player in the regular season and first 3 rounds of the Playoffs

Pistons loaded up on Kobe and forced Shaq to beat em

problem is that Shaq was in foul trouble for most of the series, the game Kobe scored 11 points which led to the Pistons just crowding Kobe and not giving him anything and rest of the team shot in the low 30s from the field for the series. Game 1 Shaq and Kobe combine for 59 points on 23/43 shooting and 12/16 from the line, rest of the team has 16 points on 6/30 shooting

you don't know jack shit

pauk
06-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Jordan lowest was 22.... it wasnt a matter of him being to good for 11 pts or less to happen or something, but a matter of him never being injured early/missing the game, never being to old in Finals, never going passive & perhaps most importantly he chucked like HELL every single series (compared to other players in top 10), especially in Finals.... the guy didnt give a **** if his teammates were on fire or something / trying to feed them, unless he got at least 20-30+ shots in...... impossible to get only 8 pts with around ~30 FGA no matter how bad you shoot & he did shoot bad many times, 8 pts on high FG% with more rebounds/assists/defense may hence subjectively be perhaps even a better impact on the game than 22 pts on millions of shots as its many wasted off. possessions, a bad game is a bad game....

But essentially all other top 10 players had 11 points or less in the Finals at some point as far as i recall....

Bill Russell (who is technically on paper the GOAT by a big gap) went even lower or around 8 pts very often in the Finals... and still won championships, but then again 8 pts is not that far away from his average...

Wilt went with 10 pts etc., lowest was 4 pts.

Lebron's lowest was 8. (not many FG attempts, not like he took plenty shots but shot horrible, just to passive, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards)

Bird's lowest was 8 (back to back, same as above, not many FG attempts, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards)

Magic's lowest was 10 (3 times, often was close to that other times, same as above, not many FG attempts, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards & he was the most unselfish one, in 1982 Finals Game 6 they won the game/championship with him making only 2 baskets), 0 points is technically his lowest but he got injured that game.

Kareem's lowest was 6 closest to his prime. (got 4 pts and so on at his lowest tho, in his last 2 Finals he had a couple of sub-11 pts games)

Shaq (think it was 2006)...

Kobe....

kamil
06-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Jordan lowest was 22.... it wasnt a matter of him being to good, but a matter of him never being injured mid-game/early, never going passive & most importantly the main reason being he chucked like HELL every single series, especially in Finals.... the guy didnt give a **** if his teammates were on fire or something / trying to feed them, unless he got at least 20-30+ shots in...... impossible to get only 8 pts with around ~30 FGA no matter how bad you shoot & he did shoot bad many times, 8 pts on high FG% with more rebounds/assists/defense may hence subjectively be perhaps even a better impact on the game than 22 pts on millions of shots as its many wasted off. possessions, a bad game is a bad game....

http://rs1267.pbsrc.com/albums/jj556/Zyuh/tumblr_m6chcxOXZE1rssfepo1_400.gif~c200

pauk
06-04-2016, 12:11 PM
http://rs1267.pbsrc.com/albums/jj556/Zyuh/tumblr_m6chcxOXZE1rssfepo1_400.gif~c200

What do you not understand? Please be more specific than a stupid gif.

Thanks in advance.

...or maybe you did understand but disagree? Maybe you want proof? Maybe you didnt read well? What can it be?

As you can see its better for you to actually question (with words!) instead of me sitting here guessing wtf you are wtfing about....

Funktion
06-04-2016, 12:14 PM
One of the GOATS

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249349

Soundwave
06-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Jordan lowest was 22.... it wasnt a matter of him being to good for 11 pts or less to happen or something, but a matter of him never being injured early/missing the game, never being to old in Finals, never going passive & perhaps most importantly he chucked like HELL every single series (compared to other players in top 10), especially in Finals.... the guy didnt give a **** if his teammates were on fire or something / trying to feed them, unless he got at least 20-30+ shots in...... impossible to get only 8 pts with around ~30 FGA no matter how bad you shoot & he did shoot bad many times, 8 pts on high FG% with more rebounds/assists/defense may hence subjectively be perhaps even a better impact on the game than 22 pts on millions of shots as its many wasted off. possessions, a bad game is a bad game....

But essentially all other top 10 players had 11 points or less in the Finals at some point as far as i recall....

Bill Russell (who is technically on paper the GOAT by a big gap) went even lower or around 8 pts very often in the Finals... and still won championships, but then again 8 pts is not that far away from his average...

Wilt went with 10 pts etc., lowest was 4 pts.

Lebron's lowest was 8. (not many FG attempts, not like he took plenty shots but shot horrible, just to passive, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards)

Bird's lowest was 8 (back to back, same as above, not many FG attempts, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards)

Magic's lowest was 10 (3 times, often was close to that other times, same as above, not many FG attempts, can happen to unselfish players/point-guards or point-forwards & he was the most unselfish one, in 1982 Finals Game 6 they won the game/championship with him making only 2 baskets), 0 points is technically his lowest but he got injured that game.

Kareem's lowest was 6 closest to his prime. (got 4 pts and so on at his lowest tho, in his last 2 Finals he had a couple of sub-11 pts games)

Shaq (think it was 2006)...

Kobe....

lol, so desperate to downplay the greatest Finals performer, he wasn't even young in the second Bulls run.

He was injured in the '91 Finals by the way, he just played through it. He was playing with an injured shooting wrist in the '93 Finals also.

Bill Russell is not even top 3 to me, let alone GOAT.

Sammyzuko
06-04-2016, 01:41 PM

LOL horrible comparison. Moss just happened to be head and shoulders above anyone else at the deep ball and that's what made him famous to the casual fan, but he was an all around elite receiver. He had elite hands, speed, awareness, football IQ, height, etc. He was the complete package.
Steph is great, but he's relatively one dimensional.