PDA

View Full Version : Why does the MVP standard change in the Finals?

konex
06-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Unlike last year, I think LeBron should get it win or lose if he has a decent gm 7. However, why is the "Best player on the best team" nonsense okay for the regular season but thrown out the window in the Finals lately?

nba_55
06-18-2016, 12:00 AM
Unlike last year, I think LeBron should get it win or lose if he has a decent gm 7. However, why is the "Best player on the best team" nonsense okay for the regular season but thrown out the window in the Finals lately?

How is it thrown out the window? They almost always give it to the best player on the best team (winning team).

jstern
06-18-2016, 03:05 AM
I think it's fine because unlike the regular season it's between two teams that are more or less in the same level going up against each other. Also it's not always the best player on the best team that wins MVP. It could be the team on the 2nd best team, 3rd. So it's not always the best team, but rather one of the top teams.

Though the idea of someone in the losing team winning FMVP was something that the majority of people wouldn't consider 3 years ago. The way Lebron has been playing this year, and how he played compared to anyone in the Warriors last year, started that talk. If the idea was not so taboo to many, Lebron would probably had won it last year, being just one vote away.

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 03:14 AM
Well this is the thing, I do think even if Cavs lose Bron could actually win it this year....we saw he got votes last year for freezing out his team mates and losing them the series, this year he's just been far above ANY GS player and has actually been half decent, dishing out assists and shit.

There is actually not a single GS player who deserves the award up to this point, and one extra game won't change anything.

Warriors have collectively sh*t the bed way too often, they actually don't deserve this series, lucky to even be in the finals, wouldn't be if sh*t wasn't rigged.

SouBeachTalents
06-18-2016, 03:29 AM
Even if LeBron drops 45 points in a loss on Sunday, there's no way that during the Warriors championship celebration in Oracle in front of all their fans they're going to announce LeBron as the FMVP, it's just never going to happen

ArbitraryWater
06-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Well this is the thing, I do think even if Cavs lose Bron could actually win it this year....we saw he got votes last year for freezing out his team mates and losing them the series, this year he's just been far above ANY GS player and has actually been half decent, dishing out assists and shit.

There is actually not a single GS player who deserves the award up to this point, and one extra game won't change anything.

Warriors have collectively sh*t the bed way too often, they actually don't deserve this series, lucky to even be in the finals, wouldn't be if sh*t wasn't rigged.

LeBron has been "half decent".. kills these guys :oldlol:

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 06:51 AM
LeBron has been "half decent".. kills these guys :oldlol:

I used that term loosely...hes obvs been killing it.

even I can admit this hahah

SexSymbol
06-18-2016, 07:34 AM
It's really simple if GSW wins and Curry has a decent game he definitely deserves it
If Cavs win and Bron has a decent game he definitely deserves it
and wild card if cavs win and Kyrie drops 50+ he definitely deserves it.
It's simple

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 07:51 AM
It's really simple if GSW wins and Curry has a decent game he definitely deserves it
If Cavs win and Bron has a decent game he definitely deserves it
and wild card if cavs win and Kyrie drops 50+ he definitely deserves it.
It's simple

lol its not that simple.

what if warriors win off someone else like Harrison and Klay and curry has a stinker....who gets it then?

ArbitraryWater
06-18-2016, 07:51 AM
lol its not that simple.

what if warriors win off someone else like Harrison and Klay and curry has a stinker....who gets it then?

its all simple for a simpleton.

Kblaze8855
06-18-2016, 09:34 AM
It really doesnt. If you put up 40 a game and get swept you wouldnt win finals MVP. You at least have to have a great showing and win games. Being the obvious best player and losing in 7 is about like giving the regular MVP to the obvious best player who won 60 games instead of the 63 the best team had. Its in the area. Its not always the very best team that gets MVP...but you better be up there.

LAZERUSS
06-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Even if LeBron drops 45 points in a loss on Sunday, there's no way that during the Warriors championship celebration in Oracle in front of all their fans they're going to announce LeBron as the FMVP, it's just never going to happen

You have a point, but I really think he is the front-runner right now. Unless Curry, Klay, or Dray come up with a monumental game seven, a big game by Lebron, even in a loss, would likely win him the award.

He had four of the 11 votes last year, and he is miles better in this year's Finals, while there is no Warrior that has even a remotely good series so far. Curry has only played well in two games, and in one, it was a solid loss. In fact, he has basically only played well in three of his 12 Finals games in the last two years.

kshutts1
06-18-2016, 09:56 AM
If anyone was going to win FMVP while losing the Finals, it was Lebron last year. The fact that he didn't, IMO sets a precedent.

If Cleveland loses this year and the media votes Lebron as the winner, then that's a very, very clear statement from them saying "we don't care about the individual player, but rather how good his teammates are".

Lebron was just as good, if not better, last year. All that's improved are (assuming he loses game 7) one extra win (team accomplishment) and better efficiency (essentially a team accomplishment as well).

LAZERUSS
06-18-2016, 10:03 AM
If anyone was going to win FMVP while losing the Finals, it was Lebron last year. The fact that he didn't, IMO sets a precedent.

If Cleveland loses this year and the media votes Lebron as the winner, then that's a very, very clear statement from them saying "we don't care about the individual player, but rather how good his teammates are".

Lebron was just as good, if not better, last year. All that's improved are (assuming he loses game 7) one extra win (team accomplishment) and better efficiency (essentially a team accomplishment as well).

I think he as been significantly better in this year's Finals.

But, not only that, but who on the Warriors has even played well for more than 1-2 games? Curry has again been a non-factor in all but one game. And Iggy has been torched in the last two games. Klay has played well in the last two, but both were losses. Dray missed game five, and then went MIA in game six.

Hell, you could argue that Barbosa has been the only Warrior to have played well, and he (curiously) missed one game, as well.

Again, unless Curry, Klay, or Dray put up a HUGE game seven, in a win of course, I think it would be a joke to give any of them the FMVP.

kshutts1
06-18-2016, 10:07 AM
I think he as been significantly better in this year's Finals.

But, not only that, but who on the Warriors has even played well for more than 1-2 games? Curry has again been a non-factor in all but one game. And Iggy has been torched in the last two games. Klay has played well in the last two, but both were losses. Dray missed game five, and then went MIA in game six.

Hell, you could argue that Barbosa has been the only Warrior to have played well, and he (curiously) missed one game, as well.

Again, unless Curry, Klay, or Dray put up a HUGE game seven, in a win of course, I think it would be a joke to give any of them the FMVP.
In what ways has Lebron been better this year? Though I agree that no one on the Warriors has yet stepped up, but that was also the issue last year, and why Iggy won it, IMO.

LAZERUSS
06-18-2016, 10:13 AM
In what ways has Lebron been better this year? Though I agree that no one on the Warriors has yet stepped up, but that was also the issue last year, and why Iggy won it, IMO.

I'll give Lebron credit in last year's Finals... he was dealt a lousy hand. But, IMO, the Cavs defense last year, along with a shot-jacking Lebron, kept them in that series. This year, and of course particularly in the last two games, he has just been unstoppable. He almost looks Shaq-like once he is in the lane. And now his outside shots are falling, as well.

And, he has been a defensive force this year, as well.

Of course, much of his legacy will depend on how well he plays in this game seven. If he hangs 40, even in a close loss...he will still climb. But, if he goes MIA, then games five and six will be forgotten.

Nuff Said
06-18-2016, 10:31 AM
But the standard hasn't changed. Iggy was arguably their best player last year. He had a good argument.

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 10:40 AM
I still cringe at the thought of lebron as FMVP last year...he was a team killer and the reason they lost...only naive basketball fans think otherwise.

this year is a whole different story.

kshutts1
06-18-2016, 10:45 AM
I'll give Lebron credit in last year's Finals... he was dealt a lousy hand. But, IMO, the Cavs defense last year, along with a shot-jacking Lebron, kept them in that series. This year, and of course particularly in the last two games, he has just been unstoppable. He almost looks Shaq-like once he is in the lane. And now his outside shots are falling, as well.

And, he has been a defensive force this year, as well.

Of course, much of his legacy will depend on how well he plays in this game seven. If he hangs 40, even in a close loss...he will still climb. But, if he goes MIA, then games five and six will be forgotten.
Rather than calling him shot-jacking, I prefer to say that Lebron's style of play (and let's be real, it was all Lebron last year) kept the Cavs in the game.

The team D was solid, but Lebron essentially single-handedly slowed the game down, by turning every offensive possession for the Cavs in to a major grind. People like to look at his play and say that he was always in iso, always trying to back down, always jacking shots, shooting sub 40%, whatever it may be... but what is regularly not mentioned is how Lebron playing that style in particular slowed the game down tremendously, and really helped keep the Warriors offense in check.

Just ignore the numbers that Lebron had last year, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a single player control the tempo of the game so completely in a Finals series as Lebron did last year.

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 10:47 AM
holding the ball til there 5 secs left and going the drive and/or kick is not some game tempo controlling I'd be belting off over tbh

especially when he's freezing his team mates out at the same time.

coin24
06-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Kyrie has been the better player overall this series..

Lebron was nowhere to be seen the first 4 games.
Apart from once they already had the lead, which Kyrie got them..

LePippen front running as always, hopefully game 7 is close well all see what a shrivelled choke artist he is as usual

Dray n Klay
06-18-2016, 11:00 AM

LePippen front running as always, hopefully game 7 is close well all see what a shrivelled choke artist he is as usual

LMAO this 3 incher cashew boy is acting like he watches bball :lol :lol

Psileas
06-18-2016, 11:46 AM
How does the MVP standard change in the Finals when a guy with vastly worse numbers than LeBron (Leonard in 2014, Iggy last season, arguably whoever Warrior wins it this season, if the Warriors win) still easily outvotes him just because he belongs to the better team? Not only doesn't it change, it becomes stronger. At least, in the regular season, you see in retrospect once in a while a guy who doesn't belong to the elite teams win it. In the Finals, only West did it, and it was the first time the award was given, meaning there was no certain tradition behind it, and in one of the closest series in history.

Curry's regular season MVP was a no-brainer because it combined an elite regular season record with elite numbers. If this elite regular season record had come with the team having many more scoring protagonists, as is the case in the Finals (an underwhelming series, btw, since a 73 win team is inexcusable of suffering 3 blowouts), it wouldn't have been anywhere near unanimous. The Spurs have posted dominant seasons without a single serious MVP candidate.

SouBeachTalents
06-18-2016, 12:01 PM

You say some stupid shit like this yet I bet you give full credit to Kobe during the Lakers 3peat when Shaq outplayed him every single game in the Finals. Also, you want to see a choke artist in Game 7 of the Finals, watch Kobe's 6/24 masterpiece in 2010

LAZERUSS
06-18-2016, 12:39 PM
How does the MVP standard change in the Finals when a guy with vastly worse numbers than LeBron (Leonard in 2014, Iggy last season, arguably whoever Warrior wins it this season, if the Warriors win) still easily outvotes him just because he belongs to the better team? Not only doesn't it change, it becomes stronger. At least, in the regular season, you see in retrospect once in a while a guy who doesn't belong to the elite teams win it. In the Finals, only West did it, and it was the first time the award was given, meaning there was no certain tradition behind it, and in one of the closest series in history.

Curry's regular season MVP was a no-brainer because it combined an elite regular season record with elite numbers. If this elite regular season record had come with the team having many more scoring protagonists, as is the case in the Finals (an underwhelming series, btw, since a 73 win team is inexcusable of suffering 3 blowouts), it wouldn't have been anywhere near unanimous. The Spurs have posted dominant seasons without a single serious MVP candidate.

This.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Stringer Bell
06-18-2016, 08:17 PM
How does it change?

Players who put up great numbers on poor teams in the regular season rarely win MVP, just like putting up great numbers on a losing team in the finals hasn't gotten anyone FMVP since the first time in 1969. LeBron got some votes last year for leading the undermanned Cavs to 2 wins but didn't win FMVP despite putting up 36, 13, and 9 per game

Spurs m8
06-18-2016, 08:22 PM
lol leonard smashed Bron...Bron stat padded off leonard...hence why his team got 100% obliterated....