PDA

View Full Version : Should the Warriors sign Al Horford if they can't get Durant?

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 12:11 AM
The salary cap for 2016 was announced today and it will be 94 million. Given Harrison Barnes poor performance I think the dubs should strongly consider looking for alternatives regardless of game 7's outcome. I think Barnes is vastly overrated and the dubs will have the flexibility to chase after a max player.

The Warriors would have 19 million in cap space if they were to renounce the rights to all their free agents. Salary dumping Bogut would give them 31.7 million in cap space. So the dubs would have Curry, Klay, Draygod, Iggy, Livingston, and Looney under contract with 31.7 million in cap space(26.7 million if they don't renounce Ezeli).

Durant and Horford are eligible to sign for up to $26.4 million for next season. I would salary dump Bogut and let Barnes walk for Horford if Durant doesn't sign.

Curry/Livingston
Klay/?
Iggy/?
Draygod/Looney
Horford/Ezeli

This is more realistic than Durant signing.

raprap
06-18-2016, 12:21 AM
That 3 point shooting... Also, Horford is a pretty good rim protector.

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 12:27 AM
That 3 point shooting... Also, Horford is a pretty good rim protector.

Yeah. Horford expanded his range to the 3 point line this season. Horford would be a massive upgrade to death lineup over Barnes. Barnes is just an overrated role player.

sundizz
06-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Horf and Torf would be the ultimate perfect addition. He'd gel so damn well and his defense is top notch.

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Horf and Torf would be the ultimate perfect addition. He'd gel so damn well and his defense is top notch.

Yeah. He would be a huge upgrade over Barnes and Bogut.

SexSymbol
06-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Horford is not a bogut level rim protector.
Having someone like Whiteside would be deadly.

NattyPButter
06-18-2016, 04:49 PM
be hard to beat them with someone that can also play in the post. Don't have to depend on jumpers.

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Horford is not a bogut level rim protector.
Having someone like Whiteside would be deadly.

Whiteside doesn't fit their offense though. Bogut doesn't close games in the 4th quarter. Barnes does.

Curry, Klay, Iggy, Draygod, and Horford >>> Curry, Klay, Iggy, Barnes, and Draygod.

SexSymbol
06-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Whiteside doesn't fit their offense though. Bogut doesn't close games in the 4th quarter. Barnes does.

Curry, Klay, Iggy, Draygod, and Horford >>> Curry, Klay, Iggy, Barnes, and Draygod.
yeah, you're correct on that.
I guess having Horford would really help the team, especially with a good post presence and a guy who can actually post up.

DMAVS41
06-18-2016, 06:17 PM
The salary cap for 2016 was announced today and it will be 94 million. Given Harrison Barnes poor performance I think the dubs should strongly consider looking for alternatives regardless of game 7's outcome. I think Barnes is vastly overrated and the dubs will have the flexibility to chase after a max player.

The Warriors would have 19 million in cap space if they were to renounce the rights to all their free agents. Salary dumping Bogut would give them 31.7 million in cap space. So the dubs would have Curry, Klay, Draygod, Iggy, Livingston, and Looney under contract with 31.7 million in cap space(26.7 million if they don't renounce Ezeli).

Durant and Horford are eligible to sign for up to $26.4 million for next season. I would salary dump Bogut and let Barnes walk for Horford if Durant doesn't sign.

Curry/Livingston
Klay/?
Iggy/?
Draygod/Looney
Horford/Ezeli

This is more realistic than Durant signing.

I doubt Ezeli is coming back. He's obviously not taking the qualifying offer...and it seems like Kerr has lost all faith in him.

Bogut is locked into his contract through next year anyway as well.

I think Barnes is gone if they lose...might be gone even if they win, but his price tag simply might get too big at this point. But I do think he's for sure gone if they lose.

I think Horford would be a great fit on this team. Absolutely great...only concern is health, but he's been rock solid in that area for 2 years pretty much now.

However, he might cost too much. I think Noah would be a great fit for the Warriors. Not sure how much he is going to cost though. He's 30 and coming off 2 terrible years.

If the Warriors could somehow add Noah and Marvin Williams...I think I like that better than Horford alone, but it's close.

Also, I'm not sure how easy it will be to dump Bogut just from a franchise perspective. It's one thing to let Barnes walk because he's going to demand so much money...but to just dump Bogut after the last 2 seasons...that's going to be difficult.

It's a really interesting situation though...but regardless of what happens;

Curry/Klay/Green/Iggy/Liv means you are going to be the favorite regardless really.

But yea...dump Bogut and replace him with Horford and vet mins or Noah/Marvin Williams type combo. The Warriors are as good or better for next year imo...

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-18-2016, 08:10 PM
^ exactly. Bogs aint leaving, but Ezeli is.

I could dig a Horford signing. Though I don't like the idea of playing him at C. Any intelligent person knows he's really a PF.

How about GSW trades the lying, fake, tool Draymond to Orlando for Aaron Gordon? Then sign Horford?

Bogut
Horford
A Gordon
Klay
Steph
-------
Looney
Iggy
Livingston

Just that 8-man rotation is good enough for 50 wins. Wait til they get more FAs or re-sign their current ones. :eek:

NBAGOAT
06-18-2016, 08:13 PM
^ exactly. Bogs aint leaving, but Ezeli is.

I could dig a Horford signing. Though I don't like the idea of playing him at C. Any intelligent person knows he's really a PF.

How about GSW trades the lying, fake, tool Draymond to Orlando for Aaron Gordon? Then sign Horford?

Bogut
Horford
A Gordon
Klay
Steph
-------
Looney
Iggy
Livingston

Just that 8-man rotation is good enough for 50 wins. Wait til they get more FAs or re-sign their current ones. :eek:

orlando would be laughing their asses off at that trade unless golden state gets a lot of other stuff back in the trade too.. Too bad Orlando doesn't have much else that would interest GS(no point in Vucevic if you sign Horford). Orlando would become a playoff team with Green.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-18-2016, 08:33 PM
orlando would be laughing their asses off at that trade unless golden state gets a lot of other stuff back in the trade too.. Too bad Orlando doesn't have much else that would interest GS(no point in Vucevic if you sign Horford). Orlando would become a playoff team with Green.
Well, GSW could look for depth (which they may need)...and towards the future?

How about this?

Orlando gets - Draymond Green
GSW gets - Aaron Gordon + Shabazz Napier + #11 pick

DMAVS41
06-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Well, GSW could look for depth (which they may need)...and towards the future?

How about this?

GSW gets - Aaron Gordon + Shabazz Napier + #11 pick

Dude..the Warriors literally aren't trading Draymond Green for anyone. There is not a player in the league they'd trade him for. He was built in a lab to play with Steph and Klay...and play the Warriors style...on both ends.

DMAVS41
06-18-2016, 08:36 PM
People reading our posts;

Ethan Strauss ‏@SherwoodStrauss 11m11 minutes ago
I can't predict what'll go viral. I see 2014 Kerr tweeting he'd take LeBron No. 1 in a Game 7 and find more shock in Noah's 3rd place rank
5 retweets 19 likes
Reply Retweet 5
Like 19
More
User Actions
Following

Tim MacMahonVerified account
‏@espn_macmahon
@SherwoodStrauss Forget KD. Noah to Warriors this summer?!?

Get your own ideas clowns...:lol

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Dude..the Warriors literally aren't trading Draymond Green for anyone. There is not a player in the league they'd trade him for. He was built in a lab to play with Steph and Klay...and play the Warriors style...on both ends.
How about this one, then?

GSW gets - Vucevic + Aaron Gordon + Oladipo + Super Mario + Payton + #11 pick?

Imagine that depth...

DMAVS41
06-18-2016, 08:38 PM
How about this one, then?

GSW gets - Vucevic + Aaron Gordon + Oladipo + Super Mario + Payton + #11 pick?

Imagine that depth...

Money doesn't work....can't do it.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Money doesn't work....can't do it.
How about if Orl...
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/49319345.jpg

Meticode
06-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Noah or Horford would be a great signing. Bogut should be a bench player anyway at this point. He pretty much already gets bench player minutes, but just starts games.

West-Side
06-18-2016, 08:48 PM
If GS get Durant or Horford, they'll be unbeatable in a 7 game series.

Bogut, Green, Durant, Klay, Curry.
I honestly think Durant & Curry finish with 7+ titles.

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 09:11 PM
If GS get Durant or Horford, they'll be unbeatable in a 7 game series.

Bogut, Green, Durant, Klay, Curry.
I honestly think Durant & Curry finish with 7+ titles.

They wouldn't be able to keep Bogut. Ezeli would be there instead.

Curry/Livingston
Klay
Durant/Iggy
Draygod/Looney
Ezeli

Death lineup- Curry, Klay, Iggy, Durant, and Draygod. :eek:

tpols
06-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Horford isn't that good to me. Stiff, not physically intimidating, no creation inside the arc, his 3 pt shooting with flat arc is not dependable at all come pressure time .. warriors just need an athletic rim protector who can switch on screens, bogut is a great fit but hes out right now unfortunately.

Dray n Klay
06-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Horford isn't that good to me. Stiff, not physically intimidating, no creation inside the arc, his 3 pt shooting with flat arc is not dependable at all come pressure time .. warriors just need an athletic rim protector who can switch on screens, bogut is a great fit but hes out right now unfortunately.

You'd be sucking him off if he played in the West :lebroncry:

tpols
06-18-2016, 09:21 PM
You'd be sucking him off if he played in the West :lebroncry:

he's weak.

Bron is a wrecking ball and good enough to always get far w/ his squad, you cant have weak dudes like him or 6'6 paul millsack anchoring your paint. You need a biyombo, or a tyson chandler, or a andrew bogut, or a tim duncan etc, someone who is always going to make right rotations and physically say "no" .. horford just isnt that guy

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Horford is very good defensive player. His 3P% was 39% in the playoffs. He would get wide open 3 point and midrange(his bread and butter) looks playing with Curry and Klay. Horford is one of the most versatile bigs in the NBA both offensively and defensively. His only real weakness is rebounding.

NBAGOAT
06-18-2016, 09:23 PM

i'll go back to defending Horford again since I like him. The 3pt shooting is mediocre but decent enough on that team kind of the same with Iggy. He's elite from midrange and can always pick and pop from there. He has a decent enough post game which he can bring out once in awhile and he's perfectly fine being a 3rd or 4th option always having been a team guy. He's not the rim protector Bogut but is fine at it and a super smart defender and even better at defending the pnr than Bogut. Being the 2nd best defender on the 2nd best defense in the league is pretty great and the Cavs going off from 3 isn't really his fault. His rebounding is a big worry however especially since that's a weakness of the Warriors. I agree that someone like Whiteside if they could get him would still be a better fit.

tpols
06-18-2016, 09:31 PM
i'll go back to defending Horford again since I like him. The 3pt shooting is mediocre but decent enough on that team kind of the same with Iggy. He's elite from midrange and can always pick and pop from there. He has a decent enough post game which he can bring out once in awhile and he's perfectly fine being a 3rd or 4th option always having been a team guy. He's not the rim protector Bogut but is fine at it and a super smart defender and even better at defending the pnr than Bogut. Being the 2nd best defender on the 2nd best defense in the league is pretty great and the Cavs going off from 3 isn't really his fault. His rebounding is a big worry however especially since that's a weakness of the Warriors. I agree that someone like Whiteside if they could get him would still be a better fit.

If you look at horford's shooting stats, he has seen a chris bosh effect in his style. Two years prior to this one he took 55+% of his shots from that kg tim duncan midrange sweet spot and shot well.. compared to only 30% volume this year. also, 24% of his shots were from three point land, up an almost unthinkable amount from his career average of 2-3%, and he shot 25% from the pick and pop midrange area you speak of in this years playoffs.. which is beyond awful.

Al Horford is one of the worst examples of the stretch four 3 pt phenomenom.. his game has been pretty terrible since the transition.

NBAGOAT
06-18-2016, 09:46 PM
If you look at horford's shooting stats, he has seen a chris bosh effect in his style. Two years prior to this one he took 55+% of his shots from that kg tim duncan midrange sweet spot and shot well.. compared to only 30% volume this year. also, 24% of his shots were from three point land, up an almost unthinkable amount from his career average of 2-3%, and he shot 25% from the pick and pop midrange area you speak of in this years playoffs.. which is beyond awful.

Al Horford is one of the worst examples of the stretch four 3 pt phenomenom.. his game has been pretty terrible since the transition.

I mean he played terrible in the playoffs. I'm going blame small sample sizes and say it doesn't represent his shooting ability. Last 3 years in the regular season, he's shot 49% every year from 16< which is pretty ridiculous. His 3pt shooting is mediocre but it's not awful. His efficiency hasn't changed much even when he started shooting 3's(56.5% ts when his career average is 57%). He also has a decent post game and is just a lot more useful than Bogut on offense and there's not going be any dropoff defensively at all. I guess one big problem with signing Horford however is he's going get around 30mpg instead of Bogut's 20 so the Warriors won't be able to go small as often.

Ca$H
06-18-2016, 09:52 PM
I mean he played terrible in the playoffs. I'm going blame small sample sizes and say it doesn't represent his shooting ability. Last 3 years in the regular season, he's shot 49% every year from 16< which is pretty ridiculous. His 3pt shooting is mediocre but it's not awful. His efficiency hasn't changed much even when he started shooting 3's(56.5% ts when his career average is 57%). He also has a decent post game and is just a lot more useful than Bogut on offense and there's not going be any dropoff defensively at all. I guess one big problem with signing Horford however is he's going get around 30mpg instead of Bogut's 20 so the Warriors won't be able to go small as often.

They wouldn't need to go small. I think Horford would improve his 3P% on the dubs to maybe 38% due to the spacing. Also Horford can switch onto smaller players in pick and roll situations and he can close out on shooters.

NBAGOAT
06-18-2016, 09:57 PM
They wouldn't need to go small. I think Horford would improve his 3P% on the dubs to maybe 38% due to the spacing. Also Horford can switch onto smaller players in pick and roll situations and he can close out on shooters.

i mean Atlanta has pretty good spacing too even if it's not Warriors level. Horford's a pure catch and shoot guy so his looks are pretty good already. Maybe it can get better but don't think it'll be anything big. Agreed on the defense however.

Ca$H
06-19-2016, 03:41 PM
i mean Atlanta has pretty good spacing too even if it's not Warriors level. Horford's a pure catch and shoot guy so his looks are pretty good already. Maybe it can get better but don't think it'll be anything big. Agreed on the defense however.

I think overpaying Barnes and Ezeli to long term deals is the worse thing that they can do. They are both overrated role players. They both benefit greatly from playing on a stacked team with a great coach and they still don't really perform that well.