PDA

View Full Version : The late 90s Lakers was more talented than any champsionship Laker team in the 00s

Micku
06-19-2016, 04:54 AM
I still don't know why they couldn't keep together and win a ring. I still don't know how they got swept by the Jazz. They had four all stars and a solid bench. What happened? Look you had:

Prime Shaq
Young Kobe
prime Eddie Jones one of the best two way players in his era
prime Nick Van Exel
Robert Horry
Rick Fox
young Derek Fisher coming off the bench
Elden Campbell coming off the bench

They were entertaining to watch and had swagger. The 3peat Lakers and the Kobe/Gasol lakers weren't this talented. What happened to this team? I know that there was a lot of egos in this team, and they needed a coach to set them straight and get rid of some dudes, but ergh, the potential of greatness was there. That 97 and 98 team had a ton of talent. More so in 98 than in 97.

They were a championship contender and they were thought to met the Bulls in the finals. But they got destroyed by the Jazz.

Here is nice Kblaze vid on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JNNDskWNGg

SamuraiSWISH
06-19-2016, 05:19 AM
Seriously. Team was huge too with Shaq and Campbell. Had to move Eddie though, even given how great he was on both ends to make freedom of growth for a transcendent player like Kobe.

Asukal
06-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Nah, 19 year old kobe was too green for the playoffs. They aren't beating a veteran Utah team with Malone and Stockton leading them.

ImKobe
06-19-2016, 09:32 AM
no Phil

Kobe still developing

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Fun team but outside of Shaq they were TRASH in the postseason.

Notably against Utah. NVE's 123 cancun!! bullsh*t essentially got him canned. :oldlol:

NBAGOAT
06-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Eddie Jones was great but Kobe was too young and Van Exel was kind of a chucker. Also Shaq wasn't quite as good as he was in 00.