PDA

View Full Version : Why do I keep hearing 2016 was one of the greatest game 7's ever?

L.Kizzle
06-21-2016, 11:34 PM
Seriously, the game was pretty bad to watch. :biggums:

And the last 5 minutes was really cringe worthy. On both sides. And it was not from good defense, lets get that clear. Brick after brick, turnover after turnover. You realize it was only four points scored in the final 5 minutes of the game. The Kyrie 3 pointer and one free throw from LeBron.

J Shuttlesworth
06-21-2016, 11:35 PM
The game being tied for so long without anybody scoring just made everything so much more tense, which is great. I couldn't sit down

Nilocon165
06-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Because it was when Lebron cemented himself as top 5 GOAT?

Damn you're an idiot

Indian guy
A game doesn't have to be high scoring for it to be one of the best. The low-scoring, grind-it-out nature of it was typical of almost all Game 7's. And it was back-n-forth for its entirety and competitive all the way down to the final minute, with a couple of memorable clutch plays on both ends. Given the stakes, it was about as exciting/intense a game you could possibly ask for.

Which finals Game 7 would you consider better/more dramatic?

SouBeachTalents
The game being tied for so long without anybody scoring just made everything so much more tense, which is great. I couldn't sit down

This

Fire Colangelo
It was exciting as hell to watch, I jumped up and down during every missed shot.

If the Warriors won, they would've cemented themselves as the possible GOAT team.

If the Cavs won, they'd be the first team ever to come back from 3-1.

The story is there, the excitement was there. If you didn't feel the tension during those last 5 minutes, you either just watched the highlight or just looked at the boxscore.

NBAGOAT
06-21-2016, 11:41 PM
well there's a difference between being well played and being exciting. This game was pretty much exciting until the buzzer. Also, players tense up since you can't have a bigger pressure situation. Last 2 game 7's with Celtics-Lakers and Pistons-Spurs were not exactly great offensive battles either.

moongaze
06-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Because it was? 20 lead changes,11 ties. Both teams exchanging blows, going toe to toe. Both offensive juggernaut teams playing hard defense a lot of drama. It was one of , if not the, best game ever

Spurs m8
06-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Well i know how f*cking much I enjoyed it....your loss if you didn't rate it....big loss too, tbh

J Shuttlesworth
06-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Well i know how f*cking much I enjoyed it....your loss if you didn't rate it....big loss too, tbh
kawhi m8, are you a member of the LeBron family these days? :eek:

KiiiiNG
06-21-2016, 11:47 PM
:facepalm

While all that's going on, there's legacy's on the line so every possession is critical. You're analyzing the game and you're not even invested in why it's so important. You're better off watching the all-star game because you clearly aren't a real athlete or sports fan in general. High scoring doesn't necessarily mean exciting... game 7 2016 was absolutely captivating for all the storylines that were riding on its conclusion. Talk about tense, ultra competitive/desperate basketball. Game 7 was a masterpiece.

L.Kizzle
06-21-2016, 11:49 PM
I watched the game, it just wasn't well played. Especially the last 5 minutes. It was only one field goal made in the last 5 minutes. Do you see that.

A few of Kyrie tough layups and Dray perfect from3 in the first half were the excitement of the game really. Of course James block, but that came late in the 4th with a bunch of misses everywhere.

Once it was tied at 89, I expected it to go back and forth not a standstill. IT would have been different if it was due to great defense but it wasn't.

TheOne
06-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Just too much at stake:
record 73 wins team trying to win back to back titles
Potential first ever 1-3 comeback
2-7 for Lebron if Cav lost
1st chip in 50+ years for Cleaveland
the dramas in previous games

All boiled down to the last minute. It could only get better if Curry hit a three to tie the game, then someone hit a buzzer beater.

moongaze
06-21-2016, 11:52 PM

While all that's going on, there's legacy's on the line so every possession is critical. You're analyzing the game and you're not even invested in why it's so important. You're better off watching the all-star game because you clearly aren't a real athlete or sports fan in general. High scoring doesn't necessarily mean exciting... game 7 2016 was absolutely captivating for all the storylines that were riding on its conclusion. Talk about tense, ultra competitive/desperate basketball. Game 7 was a masterpiece.

This. Op sounds like he suffers from a short attention span and if there isnt a lot of scoring the game wasn't well played. Watch another sport

Indian guy
06-21-2016, 11:55 PM
I watched the game, it just wasn't well played.

Again, what finals Game 7 is well played offensively? They all tend to be grind-it-out affairs with excellent defense. If this game wasn't the best or one of the best, then please tell us what games were. You are the one feining annoyance over how this game has been received after all. Go ahead and give us something.

Personally, I believe if this game didn't have you on the edge of your seat for much of the night, then you simply aren't a basketball fan.

L.Kizzle
06-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Just too much at stake:
record 73 wins team trying to win back to back titles
Potential first ever 1-3 comeback
2-7 for Lebron if Cav lost
1st chip in 50+ years for Cleaveland
the dramas in previous games

All boiled down to the last minute. It could only get better if Curry hit a three to tie the game, then someone hit a buzzer beater.
Those are great storylines, I'm not talking about that. Those are all good lead up. I'm talking about the last five minutes.

Y'all are fooling yourselves if you think the last 5 was great basketball. Game doesn't have to be high scoring not sure where that's coming from. It was just bad plays down the stretch from both teams. But hey, maybe y'all think a player missing a shot means it was because of good defense. Maybe it was just a bad shot ...

Byobob
06-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Again, what finals Game 7 is well played offensively? They all tend to be grind-it-out affairs with excellent defense. If this game wasn't the best or one of the best, then please tell us what games were. You are the one feining annoyance over how this game has been received after all. Go ahead and give us something.

Personally, I believe if this game didn't have you on the edge of your seat for much of the night, then you simply aren't a basketball fan.

How about the 2013 NBA finals? I mean, 2016 is by far the most tense game 7 I've watched live. But the 2013 NBA finals is a very close 2nd.
Every time the Heat went on a mini-run, the Spurs would answer back with one of their own. A very big missed bunny by TD tie the game. It was a one possession game up until Lebron's jumper with 20+ seconds left.

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 12:05 AM

It was a close game, so of course I was on the edge. Doesn't mean it was good.

It hasn't been too many game 7's in recent memory. I don't remember Heat-Spurs or Lakers-Celtics or Spurs-Pistons being anointed as great game 7's. But I keep hearing ESPN saying it and it can't be.

I don't know, maybe that last 5 minutes just left a bad taste in my mouth seeing brick after brick.

Springsteen
06-22-2016, 12:07 AM
If your heartrate didn't increase watching that, you don't enjoy basketball. Simple as that.

Megabox!
06-22-2016, 12:19 AM
Longest, most stressful 5min in NBA finals history. So many heart-attacks and nervous breakdowns :oldlol:

Jay-B
06-22-2016, 12:20 AM
You must not know much about basketball if you didn't think it was great.
Tell us which game 7 do you think was better????

Gougou
06-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Are you serious?

This is the most exciting game 7 ever.

Remember, there is never another away team that won a game 7 at home.

The pressure on the line was also way too much for both team.

bdreason
06-22-2016, 12:22 AM
Decent drama. Terrible basketball.

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 12:23 AM
You must not know much about basketball if you didn't think it was great.
Tell us which game 7 do you think was better????
Wait, so both teams combining for probably 1-20 in the last 5 minutes is great? And because I don't think it's great I don't know basketball?

IGOTGAME
06-22-2016, 12:25 AM

This. I went home for fathers days and watched the game with my fam. My grandmother (basketball fan w hip replacement) and mom (non-basketball fan who only watched game 7) where both jumping up outta their seats. I just don't see how someone couldnt love that game. its what nba basketball is all about.

hateraid
06-22-2016, 12:29 AM
A basket doesn't need to be scored to make a game spectacular. It's 2 teams competing for their legacies. Every shot that went up the whole room held their breaths, and the screams when they would rattle out. The going up for rebounds, the blocks, the agony of the turn overs. They add to the texture of the game. It was hella fun to watch. To see Lebron gaining more fans as the clock ticks down. It was one of the best games I've seen this season, probably in a finals ever. I'm sorry you need to see a basket scored in order to consider a game any good

The drama that led up to the Kyrie shot made the shot epic.

Indian guy
06-22-2016, 12:29 AM
It was a close game, so of course I was on the edge. Doesn't mean it was good.

It hasn't been too many game 7's in recent memory. I don't remember Heat-Spurs or Lakers-Celtics or Spurs-Pistons being anointed as great game 7's. But I keep hearing ESPN saying it and it can't be.

I don't know, maybe that last 5 minutes just left a bad taste in my mouth seeing brick after brick.

I see. So you have absolutely no alternative Game 7's to offer, but are still annoyed at people calling this one of the greatest game 7's ever because of 5 minutes that displeased you. Okaaaay then.

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 12:33 AM
A basket doesn't need to be scored to make a game spectacular. It's 2 teams competing for their legacies. Every shot that went up the whole room held their breaths, and the screams when they would rattle out. The going up for rebounds, the blocks, the agony of the turn overs. They add to the texture of the game. It was hella fun to watch. To see Lebron gaining more fans as the clock tick down. It was one of the best games I've seen this season, probably in a finals ever. I'm sorry you need to see a basket scored in order to consider a game any good
That's a good introduction on a NBA on NBC promo circa 1993. But what about the execution on the court. Yeah the drama was there all night.

SavageMode
06-22-2016, 12:34 AM
OP is salty. Lebron fam stays winnin

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 12:36 AM
I see. So you have absolutely no alternative Game 7's to offer, but are still annoyed at people calling this one of the greatest game 7's ever because of 5 minutes that displeased you. Okaaaay then.
It's only been four game 7's in the past 20 years. It's really not that many to chose from. I mean really, was this game 7 that much better than the others?

hateraid
06-22-2016, 12:37 AM
That's a good introduction on a NBA on NBC promo circa 1993. But what about the execution on the court. Yeah the drama was there all night.

If you want execution watch NFL.
Hard nose basketball that included fighting for the ball, game saving blocks, an actual game winning shot in the last minute....that's solid NBA basketball

Nevaeh
06-22-2016, 12:41 AM

Great great post, Man. Those of us who've been with ISH over a few years absloutely know how true this is, considering how many agendas, and posters are staking claim on how a player or team is percieved here, when compared to the average fan who's just watching the game for a family get together.

The usual "2/7" posts were easy to see coming, but the ablsolute overrating of this Warriors team based on 2 great years alone was totally mind boggling, and may have caused a few of us to fall back from posting as much due to the idiocy.

The sub plots dealing with both teams' best Players, both on and off the court hasn't seen this level of scrutiny since the days of Ali in his prime, and did an awesome job of keeping all demographics, casuals and die hards, engaged to the bitter end.

For Lebron to win it they WAY that he did it, Leading in every statistical category across the Board, on the road, in a game 7, with the "hate" (I call it envy) attached to him lover the years, was nothing short of spectacular.

It's no coincidence why this game ranks right up there with Jordan's 98 game 6 and had taken the League almost 20 years to get back to that level of fan excitement again.

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Great great post, Man. Those of us who've been with ISH over a few years absloutely know how true this is, considering how many agendas, and posters are staking claim on how a player or team is percieved here, when compared to the average fan who's just watching the game for a family get together.

The usual "2/7" posts were easy to see coming, but the ablsolute overrating of this Warriors team based on 2 great years alone was totally mind boggling, and may have caused a few of us to fall back from posting as much due to the idiocy.

The sub plots dealing with both teams' best Players, both on and off the court hasn't seen this level of scrutiny since the days of Ali in his prime, and did an awesome job of keeping all demographics, casuals and die hards, engaged to the bitter end.

For Lebron to win it they WAY that he did it, Leading in every statistical category across the Board, on the road, in a game 7, with the "hate" (I call it envy) attached to him lover the years, was nothing short of spectacular.

It's no coincidence why this game ranks right up there with Jordan's 98 game 6 and had taken the League almost 20 years to get back to that level of fan excitement again.
I'm not downplaying the drama leading up to this game. It was like a WWE promo. Fights, trash talking, suspensions, legacies on the line. Records on the line. Now, that was awesome.

My main post was was basically about the last 5 minutes of the game. One field goal and one free throw combined for the Cavs and the Warriors. Now, I don't know where that is considered great basketball but apparently on ISH, all of those bricks and turnovers got y'all really tense. Imagine is those shots were falling for both teams, y'all would have passed out before the buzzer went off. Y'all were tense from what was at stake at the end of the game not the play on the court.

k0kakw0rld
06-22-2016, 01:01 AM
Game tied at 89-89 for i don't remember how many minutes...

If you love effort, defense you gotta love what you saw. Love locked down Curry down the stretch :bowdown:

hateraid
06-22-2016, 01:06 AM
I'm not downplaying the drama leading up to this game. It was like a WWE promo. Fights, trash talking, suspensions, legacies on the line. Records on the line. Now, that was awesome.

My main post was was basically about the last 5 minutes of the game. One field goal and one free throw combined for the Cavs and the Warriors. Now, I don't know where that is considered great basketball but apparently on ISH, all of those bricks and turnovers got y'all really tense. Imagine is those shots were falling for both teams, y'all would have passed out before the buzzer went off. Y'all were tense from what was at stake at the end of the game not the play on the court.
As a poster mentioned before, you're looking for an all star game.

I get what you're saying, if this was a regular season game then it would have appeared sluggish. Although as I mentioned before there were other nuances to enjoy. Obviously you don't value grit and determination. You're fixated on the execution of scoring a basket. If you didn't appreciate all the other activity, then good NBA is not for you.

Koresh
06-22-2016, 01:09 AM
If your heartrate didn't increase watching that, you don't enjoy basketball. Simple as that.

Took the words right out of my mouth. My heart has never raced so fast. I was standing for the final 5 minutes because of the intensity. I haven't been this excited and anxious since 2013 game 6 and game 7 of the NBA Finals.

The last 3 games of these NBA finals were 3 of the greatest games I have ever seen. I have watched basketball since 1989, so I witnessed a lot. Game 7 on Sunday is a masterpiece.

Johnni Gade
06-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Are you sure you like basketball?

G-train
06-22-2016, 01:20 AM
It was 100% a crappy game full of poor execution and turnovers and bad shooting.
That's usually what happens under the highest pressure though.

Most ISHers would collapse in the warmups.

L.Kizzle
06-22-2016, 01:24 AM
As a poster mentioned before, you're looking for an all star game.

I get what you're saying, if this was a regular season game then it would have appeared sluggish. Although as I mentioned before there were other nuances to enjoy. Obviously you don't value grit and determination. You're fixated on the execution of scoring a basket. If you didn't appreciate all the other activity, then good NBA is not for you.
Maybe my expectations for game 7 were too high.
And lol I love the NBA. Been watching over 20 years and I'm not even 30.
I'm not fixated on scoring I know it's two sides to the court.

WadeBronDonJuan
06-22-2016, 01:28 AM
I watched the game, it just wasn't well played. Especially the last 5 minutes. It was only one field goal made in the last 5 minutes. Do you see that.

A few of Kyrie tough layups and Dray perfect from3 in the first half were the excitement of the game really. Of course James block, but that came late in the 4th with a bunch of misses everywhere.

Once it was tied at 89, I expected it to go back and forth not a standstill. IT would have been different if it was due to great defense but it wasn't.

Did you miss the huge Lebron block on Iggy? You're in the minority here, man. Everyone that I was watching with was jumping up and down and screaming every time the possessions changed.

Sorry that you have a one track mind. Basketball is much more than the ball going in the hoop.