PDA

View Full Version : D'angelo Russell

ashlar
06-24-2016, 12:13 AM
Hard for me to ask this but a lot of the most hate fueled criticism leveled at D'Angelo Russell comes from black men in the media. The most notable of these are people like Wilbon(see today), SAS, Jason Whitlock, etc.

I get that DLO did something stupid by recording Young's confessions and allowing it to get into the public sphere but the kid apologized and set the record straight publically. Is it a cultural thing? Did DLO break some kind of unforgivable rule? Will these people ever let it go? Their little shit session on DLO tonight during the draft was downright embarrassing even for ESPN.

As an outsider I really don't understand. DLO has admitted to making a mistake and acted like a man about it. Nick Young continues to pout and put up passive aggressive shit on twitter. The same guys criticizing DLO don't even mention a peep about Young being a cheater.

Am I overthinking this? Is ESPN just baiting people to get more viewers?
Is the NBA just a cabal of cheaters willing to die for their own? What is it?

AI09
06-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Hard for me to ask this but a lot of the most hate fueled criticism leveled at D'Angelo Russell comes from black men in the media. The most notable of these are people like Wilbon(see today), SAS, Jason Whitlock, etc.

I get that DLO did something stupid by recording Young's confessions and allowing it to get into the public sphere but the kid apologized and set the record straight publically. Is it a cultural thing? Did DLO break some kind of unforgivable rule? Will these people ever let it go? Their little shit session on DLO tonight during the draft was downright embarrassing even for ESPN.

As an outsider I really don't understand. DLO has admitted to making a mistake and acted like a man about it. Nick Young continues to pout and put up passive aggressive shit on twitter. The same guys criticizing DLO don't even mention a peep about Young being a cheater.

Am I overthinking this? Is ESPN just baiting people to get more viewers?
Is the NBA just a cabal of cheaters willing to die for their own? What is it?

The thing here is fans will forget but players will never forget if he was a nba bench guy he would've been cut or traded for peanuts and maybe spend the rest of his career overseas but the kids got talent and GMS will overlook the incident and say it's just immature behavior by a young rookie.

boldarblood
06-24-2016, 12:23 AM
When I was a kid (25 and under) I would have cared. Now as I have gotten older and married, things like this are 100% completely overblown. If I was in NY shoes, I would be more pissed at myself for not being able to be faithful than anything else.

In a year or two it will be nothing to anyone that matters (you'll still hear about it from the idiot crowds on facebook and forums, but again, none of them mean a thing). His teammates and coaches are not going to care, Dlo manned up and owned it. Seen it in work places a few times over the years.

DingDengDong
06-24-2016, 12:26 AM
lol, Lakers still stuck with him.

ashlar
06-24-2016, 12:27 AM
lol, Lakers still stuck with him.

Like that's a bad thing?

Many teams would kill for Russell.

Genaro
06-24-2016, 12:36 AM
I feel like his game (that has nothing to do with the video leak affair) has been very underrated. One guy at the draft even said Ingram and Dlo couldn't play together. He was left out of the all 1st rookie team and was 9th in ROY voting.
He will have to play very well to shut down those people and gain respect. That first season made a lot of damage in his reputation.

PS: On topic, yes, I agree. Nick image pretty much left the whole situation unharmed while DLO took the hits.

artificial
06-24-2016, 12:44 AM
It's not like you just apologise and then people just let go.

Plus, he had a sub-par season (for a #2 pick) in a media swarmed city where he had immense expectations. The incident came at a very bad moment.

However, if he acts right public opinion should gradually let go... it will take time though. And whenever he screws up anything, there will always be some d

bluechox2
06-24-2016, 12:46 AM
all he has to do is ball out next season and everyone becomes his bitch

bobopenguin
06-24-2016, 02:37 AM
all he has to do is ball out next season and everyone becomes his bitch

he better, otherwise go play somewhere else.
lakers needs to start winning.