PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't the media addressed the SINGLE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between the eras?

3ball
06-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Lebron's teammates wouldn't be spacing the floor for him via 3-pointers in the 80's or 90's - the floor setup in those no-spacing environments was COMPLETELY different, so today's skillsets wouldn't be as effective back then.

Specifically, players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint.. Here's a reminder of the standard setup in this gif (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif) - penetration isn't possible, so Jordan must pull-up from midrange..

This is the primary reason Lebron would be worse back then - his lack of midrange shooting ability - virtually ALL great perimeter scorers in the 80's and 90's had great midrange (just look at the top 10 scorers from 1985 or any year (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/pts_per_g_top_10.html) in the 80's or 90's - everyone had great midrange).. But in today's game, it's statistical fact (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12389778&postcount=41) that most of the top perimeter scorers don't have good midrange jumpshots, because the spacing and hands-off defense allows them easier access to the rim.

riseagainst
06-24-2016, 12:49 PM
the single biggest difference is that today's era is just flat out better and more competitive than previous eras.

Terahite
06-24-2016, 12:52 PM
3ball had this thread ready for when the Warriors won the title. :oldlol:

You're correct about the difference between the eras but this hardly applies to the Cavs' style of play in these Finals which was old-era-like in many ways. Lebron's GOAT-level performance was certainly a throwback to superstars of the 90s who will remain nameless.

3ball
06-24-2016, 01:06 PM
You're correct about the difference between the eras but this hardly applies to the Cavs' style of play in these Finals

The Cavs didn't play like previous eras - they took 30 threes per game in regular season and 24 per game in Finals, compared to the 1991 Bulls' 5 per game.. So the Cavs' style of play in the Finals was NOTHING like previous eras because they had SPACING, while previous eras did not

The floor setup in the no-spacing environments of previous eras was COMPLETELY different, so today's skillsets wouldn't be as effective back then.

Specifically, players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint.. Here's a reminder of the standard setup in this gif (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif) - penetration isn't possible, so Jordan must pull-up from midrange..

This is the primary reason Lebron would be worse back then - his lack of midrange shooting ability - virtually ALL great perimeter scorers in the 80's and 90's had great midrange (just look at the top 10 scorers from 1985 or any year (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/pts_per_g_top_10.html) in the 80's or 90's - everyone had great midrange).. But in today's game, it's statistical fact (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12389778&postcount=41) that most of the top perimeter scorers don't have good midrange jumpshots, because the spacing and hands-off defense allows them easier access to the rim.

3ball
06-24-2016, 01:58 PM
No one is willing to address the truth - players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim, because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint.

Spacing is the biggest difference between the eras, yet everyone ignores it when making comparisons, which makes their conclusions meaningless.

Cap'n Obvious
06-24-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't think it is a coincidence that the OP'S "single biggest difference" favors Jordan.

3ball
06-24-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't think it is a coincidence that the OP'S "single biggest difference" favors Jordan.

So you don't think the single biggest difference in the eras is spacing?

What's a bigger difference than spacing??

Today's 3-point shooting/spacing allows the floor setup to be COMPLETELY different from the setup in previous eras (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif).

What's a bigger difference than that?

kshutts1
06-24-2016, 02:41 PM
So you don't think the single biggest difference in the eras is spacing?

What's a bigger difference than spacing??

Today's 3-point shooting/spacing allows the floor setup to be COMPLETELY different from the setup in previous eras (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif).

What's a bigger difference than that?
Haven't you said that you have a background in statistics or something math-centric like that?

Do you honestly not see the additional benefit derived from the use of today's 3p shot? If teams from the 80s and 90s had the personnel to utilize the shot in a similar way, do you honestly believe that they would have been better off NOT using it?

Now, I'm not asking for a preference. A lot of people prefer the 3p shooting league of today, and a lot of people prefer the midrange, low post league of yesteryear. I'm asking from a statistical, analytical standpoint. Do you truly believe that the league, with it's bevy of great shooters, should not utilize the 3p shot?

Nilocon165
06-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Why don't you shut your f*cking mouth?

MP.Trey
06-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Because they don't care.

r0drig0lac
06-24-2016, 02:57 PM
man ... relax MJ >>> Lebron everybody knows

3ball
06-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Haven't you said that you have a background in statistics or something math-centric like that?

m & a

Do you honestly not see the additional benefit derived from the use of today's 3p shot?

It's a waste of time to comment if you didn't read the thread title or the OP - I never commented on the value of 3-pointers.. The point I made was completely different: when media or fans compare players over the eras, they omit the most important consideration - SPACING.

The floor setup in the no-spacing environments of previous eras was COMPLETELY different, so today's skillsets wouldn't be as effective back then.. Specifically, players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint..

Here's a reminder of the standard setup in this gif (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif) - penetration isn't possible, so Jordan must pull-up from midrange..

kshutts1
06-24-2016, 03:22 PM
m & a

It's a waste of time to comment if you didn't read the thread title or the OP - I never commented on the value of 3-pointers.. The point I made was completely different: when media or fans compare players over the eras, they omit the most important consideration - SPACING.
Not a waste of time. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the coaches themselves. If even YOU admit to the value of the 3p shot, it was not utilized properly back then because of stubbornness. Not because of some logic isoteric idea that they were too tough for 3s or too talented for 3s. Come off it. You can admit that the NBA has evolved schematically without conceding that it's more talented.

Piccolo
06-24-2016, 03:34 PM
It's clear from my years of lurking here that 3ball hasn't watched a lick of basketball in his life. You're a geek that loves stats and watch YouTube clips 24/7 of Jordan because you're too damn young to have watched him play live.

LeBron wouldn't suffer in the 80's and do you know why? That's the fastest pace in NBA history. He would have florished with the high tempo teams. Everyone was on the fastbreak. He would have been better in the 80's. Yes, he would have been less efficient in the 90's because the games were slower but he would still be a triple double machine. He would be better in the 80's.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're an analytics nerd that hasn't watched Jordan live or hasn't watched the modern NBA (2000-2016) ever. It's clearly evident with your 1000+ spam threads.

3ball
06-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Lebron would flourish with the high tempo teams of the 80's.

But he'd be worse in the halfcourt, where most of the points were still scored.. So that ends your argument.

In the halfcourt, he'd be forced to use his poor midrange jumpshot more often rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint.

Also, many teams in the 80's played just as slow as today's teams, like Jordan's Bulls - so Lebron wouldn't get any extra fastbreaks on Jordan's Bulls or many other teams.

Furthermore, the stats show that pace ALWAYS slowed down in the playoffs - pace was barely faster in the mid-80's playoffs, and SLOWER in the late-80's playoffs than today's game - pace was 94.0 in 1988 playoffs compared to 94.4 in 2015 playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1988.html#all_misc_stats

HylianNightmare
06-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Balls and stuff

inclinerator
06-24-2016, 03:59 PM

̴̻̗̞͖̩̩L̹͔̗͕͈̗͉e̮͈͖̟͍͍b͚̤̪̳̳͚r̬̜͚͇o̸ņ̪̼ͅ'̘͓͍͓ s͈̭͎ ̲̺̟͈̬̤͝t̝̩͡e̗͍am̹̙̦͉̬̺͇m̛̩̭̦̥̖͍a͙̟̱͔t͞ͅe̶͎̻̹̲s̘͕͕̯ ̱͔ ̳͡w͉o͇̹̗̠u̹̝̥̞l̻̘̼̜̟̠̟͢d̮̦͈n̗͟'͚̩͈̬̩̜͡ͅt̢̞̜͎ ͎̩̪b̧̺ẹ̗͠ͅ ̗̣s̷̻̳͍͕̖͚ͅṕ̬̳͕a̞̘̹̘̜̬̬c̠͚̣̘̯̞ͅį͎͚̫̜n̬͜g̛ ̮t̺̮̰̖h̶e ̗fl͈͈̝̘̰͢ó͕̪̜̳̗o̹̱̞̣͟ŗ̪ ͇͔̦̳͜f͍o̲̲̖̗̥̼̖r҉̠̜͔̩̘̱ ̷͍͉͚͍͈̲͉h̶̹͈̹͙ím ̹̲v͇̰̣͇ị̭͉̲a̮ ͇̮̪̻3͔̞̟̜͕͙͎̀-̨͈̩͚̭͎̩ͅp̷͙̠ͅoͅi̜̪̟̫̬n҉t̼͜e̢̬͎r̛̞̯̝͇̹s͙ ̴̮͓i̬͓̖̦̥͇͠n̰͇ ̰́t̪͍h͕̣̫̹̝̗è ͔͕̹8̢0̫̥'͕̙̰̘͎̪͢s̭̲̫̬ ̥̠̕o̢̗̼̦̹̖r͖͎̮͠ͅ ̡̪͚͖9̜̻̹̮0̡̙'̼̠ͅs̴̘͚̯̭̻͓̫ ͕͙̬̖̺͖̙̕-҉ t̨̗̦̲̥ͅḩe̬̕ͅ ̙f̺͉l̵̻͙̖̭̝̮͕o͎̲͖̟o̙r͔ ̢s̕e͉̜̻̰̪̩t̝͈u͓͉̞͉͜p̛͚̦̺̝̮ ̫͢i̸̟͕͔͎̳̻͕n̟̖̜ ̦̼͈͘tḥ̗̼̣̫̼ͅo͖͍͚͖̱s̱͚̰̘͓̦͡e҉̳̥͙̝͔̥̫ ͉̯̯n̸̻̝̦̻͓̯ͅo̜̣̯͉-̥̪͖̭̭s̬̲̟̯ṕ̰̲a̜̼̲c͢ḭ͚ņ̞̲͇̬͇̩g͕̣̭͚ͅ ͇e̺͈̬̠͡n̵͓̮͙̥v̸i͉̜͖̙r̢͓̬͓̯̠̞͙o̝n͚͖̣͘ḿęn̵̻̟t̹ ̹ͅs̨ ̠̥̹̣̲͝w̝͟a̞̖̠͙̖͇͉s͎̦̱̹̹̟͡ ̫̺͍͈̼͖C̯̭̗̲̀O͔̩̥̠M̴̳̝̯P̺͎̱L̖͕̤͙̻͓̝E͈T̲̙̝͠ͅE̸̖̳̠̪L̤ ̤̟̲̻̪̲Y͚̰̙͓̮ ̹̗͜d̬̟̖̳i̝̘̱̼ff̛̙̮̘̻͉͙̭e͖̘͈̘re̻̗͎̙̫͞ͅn͈̝̪̕t̙̖͝ , ̷̘̠s̠̗̺o̠̞̫͕͖̙̰͝ ̭̺͝t͏o͞d̛̮a̧̜y͇̗'̜͉̗ś͕̫̦̩̤ ͓̮̖̱s̷̤͙̱k̸̤͇ì̮̖l̞̗͍̯̖̼̗l̟̠͡s̷̹̦͈͙e̦̭̠̖̳͔t̟̬͇ s̖̳̮ ̠̳̪̤w̛͖̖̘̼o̟̳̹̤̰͎͘u̺̣̱ld̤̣̟̺̺̠̗n̹͎̼̜͇͎̝͢'̢̹̖̮̤̲̺̬t ̬͘ ̫̬b͚̱̳͚ͅe̶̱͓̘͖͇ ͉̜a͏͈̹̻̝͙̱̠s̨͇̭̱̘̼͚ ̞̥̞̲͟e̱͢f̶͇̣̪̪͕̟̳f̰͕̕e̴̮͎̤͓͉͇̣c̸̤̙̪̮̼͖t͔̬iv̝͔̣ e̫̱ ̷̯̬̪b̬̜̥͈̪͙̲a͎̭̗̭̯̝͝c̭͖̫̮̞̺̳ḱ̯̗̣̼̳͙̹ ̷͓t̪h̖̦̻̞͕e̶̘̤͙̼̜̦̙n͕̜̤͝.̨̼
̛̩͓̮͕̰͍͕
͈̯͇S̡̼̜̜̻̹p̷e̖͠c̼̬̘̼͍̬͈͞i͓ͅf̦͉͞i̦̖͔̣ͅc҉͉͖̺a̮̞̤͔lĺ ̱̪͖̜̰y͕̺͍͎͙̲,̥ ̙ͅp̪̻̺̪̭l̨͇͔̩a̖̙̹y̧̺̼̣̹e̤͓͟ͅr̮s̖̱̤͓͕̕ ͏̬͖̹̩̘͇̼į̜̹͇̟̩n͕̭̖̺̻͠ͅ ̴̪̘͇p͙̖̥̠̳̱̕r̪̕e̳̥͍̼̺̳v̱͙͍͈̹̯̖i͔ou̡̹̩͉̪s̰̥͔̹ͅ ̟̗̣̗e͙͢ͅr̺̬͉̯a͍͇̼̠̹͚͔s͔ ̛̺̲w͍̞̲̭̝̫e̖̬̞̪͜re̷̻̜̦ ̮̣f͙̙̀o͞r̺̱̬̤̙̯̻c̫̩̖̺̀ḛ̪̪̼͈d̮̞ ͖̪̟̼͇͉͞t̶͖o̮̮ ̠u͖s̮̺͘e̙͔ ͠th̖͎̩͍e̪̖͓͎̯͎͚i̝̲̗̠̩r҉̫ ̵̩̫m͔̫̪i̧̦͓̩̠d̴̙̼̞̩̺̫͍r̡͎̖̠͔̲̞ạ̫̭̦̼̠͘n̰̞̦̠͡g̘ ̗e͞ ͍j̡̼̹̣̩̮u̴̯̺̪m͕͓͡p̶̼̱̫̩s̤ͅh̼͢ͅot̖́ ̬͕̞̱̱̗̕r͔̠̘͍a̤̼t͈h̢̯̻̳̙̫̮̬e̹̘̳r̼̥̠͎͇͍ ̨̘̟͓̫͙ṭ͇̱̟͔̣͢h̦̜̜͉̫̞a̵̻̲̯̳̖n҉̥ ̠͇̣g̲͝et̻̟̘ͅ ͕̗̹t̴͔͈̖̝̼͎o̺̜̫̣̮͟ ̰͓͔̤̘t͔̰̝̝h̪͓̞̺e ̶̼̰̠̜r̝͎̗̱̟͙i͚̟̦̙m̵̦̣̹ ̫̥̘͡ͅb̺͞e͏͚̱c̥̱͓͜a̱̤̗̦u͕̲̤͈̪ͅse ̝̮̮͉͎͉t͇̼̺̲͜h̞͙̰̱̭͈e̴̙͈̜̘̞ ̞͔̠̣͈̖̬l͙̣̩͔̜̭ͅaç̝̫͇k̵ ̝̗͈̞̟͔͞of̰͚̩͢ ͇͇̻̹3̼̹̯-̝̺̮̘̬̙po̝̠͎͔̞͚̺i͈n̺͎̱͍̹t͇ ̗s̡̙͎̳͉̰ḥ̳̹̖̬o͈̗̞̘̗̪͓o̳͉̝̤̦ͅͅti͏̰ng̞̮̫̯̹ ̨̙͙͕͖̭̮ą̭̳̫l̦ͅl̙̥͕͍̹͔ͅo̙̪̺̦we̥d̦̫̖ ̜̹͎̥͙d̺̗̩̱͔̗è͉̘̥̞̟f͚̩̖e̠̪̞̳͡n̸d̞e̞̫̠̬r҉̜̞͖s̳̤ ͓̯ ̨̱̠̦͔̫̦͖t̞̣̣̲̤̜ơ̘̯ ҉̝͇̤̼̜̩o̳̦͠v̫̱̗e̼͎̘͟r͈͚̳̱̻c͏r̜̱ow̛d̛ ͉̳̤̙̕t̷̜̝̮͖̬h͔͍̪͝e̝̺̙ p̥̰a̷̠̻i̩̭̫̝͕̙n̗̦͉̘̫̱̲ț̹͎͈̬.҉̰.̘̘ H̪͈̭̠̣̼e̶͉͔̹͎̹r̤͚̗̙͈͠e'͖̹̺̗͉̝̘͠ş̘̱͈͓̻͇̟ ̯͎̣͟a̭̠̯ ̟͙̜̣̹̙͚r͔͍͝e̼͕͙̖̥̝͖m̱͚̯͕͔̘͜i̵̥͈̗̭̦̤͍n̨de͜r͔̰̜̼ ̪ ̢̥̠̮̦̥̞̙of̧̤͕͍̯ ̤̰͍̱ͅṭ̲̖̕h̨̯̹͙̣͙̲e̪̥̲͉͖̞͇ s͡t͉̲̫̥a̶̹̫͚̪̹ń̙̠͇̱̮d̵̲̟̜̩̫̤̭a̶r̺͎̳͔̰̥͍d̙̖̮͚͟ ̵̗̻͈͉̲s̟̟e̡͎t̡̮̣̙͙u̫̤̫͔̫̲͝p̶͔̘̖̻̭ ̞̩̞̝̩͢i͕n̲̯͙̗̺ ̰̙̦̝̟͢t͙̱h̠i̴̺s̛͇̫͓͎̤̜̻ ̠̘̯̖͓͝g͍̦̭̥͝i͓͇̹͇͉̺͓f͎ ̴̰̙̗͖-͔̹͓͈ ̤p̴e̱ń̦̙͎͙̥̗͓et̝͍̮̜̗͍͎r̘̮͟ͅa̼t҉̖i̫̳̖̤̦͝o̸n͙ ͈į̱͚̳̩s̢̯̘͉ṋ͕͖͇̠'͈̻̹̟͖̠ͅț̥͉ ̦̯p҉̫̘͇o̲̬̥͡s̳̫̼s̷͓͔ì͇̹b̞̣̜l̬͓̫̠̫̟̥e̛͕̖,̟͈̲̥̗ ̺̞ ̧̝̦s̘̭͈̹ọ͇̹̫̕ ̡Jor̶̺̲̭̬̟̺̹d͖͎ą͖̯n̠͎̭̮̟̜̕ ̳͈m͏̣̰̣̤̱̺̥us͓͎͖͙̰͈͉t̀ ̱̺̭̗̰͍́p͚̼u̢͔̺̝̝̙̥l̰̮l͏̟̻͇-u̼̳͍͉͙ͅͅp͖̝ ̱̯̠͙͉f̬r͙̘̗o̥̥̝̟̞͘m ̤̜̯̼̕m̕i̟d̴͚͖r͏̯̞̰̳̬̠͚a͎̮͙͕͓̜n̦̯̲g̮̗̗̘̖̘ͅe̫͠.̢͙̲̥͙ ̗̠.̮͕̼̹͠
̻̲͇̝̝͇̭
̰̞͖͇̫̼̲T̮h̫̩̥̯͖͙̟ị̲͙̳͖s̥̘̩͇̙̖ ̳͝i͔̼͙̻s̕ ̥͕͉̱̼̮t̘͞h̰̜̘̀ę̺̠̘̻̭̦ ̗̠͉͖̜̝̙́p̰̙̫̝̩͎͍͘r̟̣͔̺̼̲̹i̖͎͍͇͙̦m̤͟a̘̺͇̖̥̙̥r̝̰͔̻̰͠ ̬͓y̢̜̝̤̗̭ ͉͡r̵̟e̺̘͇͡a̺͈̺̩͔̱s͖̝̕o̶ń̳ ̞̼̬̙̖̤͟L̜͍̺͈̝̤̗̀e̛b̜r̗̯͎ǫ̱n͚̣͎͕̮ ͓̟̞̠͞wǫ̪̹̥̣u̩̻͇̺l̹d̛ ̡ ̦̜̞g̻͖̜r̤̦̗̯̞͎ͅe͇̫̫̮̥͉̮a̧̞̝̤̫̣ͅt͎͈̥͓ ̰͠m̥̦͖̥̖i͏̣d̤̯͚̲͉̭r̤͈͖a͏̪͉̥̻͎̥n͇̫̗̕g͓̫̥̼̣̗͠e͙ ̙͚͘(͉͇͜j̗͙̞̯̟̞̕u͓͇̖s̖̞t ͖l̨̯̝o̤̮̼ͅo̬k̛̫̘͚̘̣̥̙ ̹͕͚̯a̝̞͇͓͇͔t͖ ̞t̩̲̜h̰̟̺̰̗̙e͏ ̼͜t̠̫͕͚o̱̮̞͈̰̻̘p҉̳̗̖̙̲ ̨͈̦1̜̣̣̳̣0̛̗̤̲̦̬ ̻s̳̖͘co̰̜r͙͔̩̺̠̀e͎͖r̛̳̗̪̝̟s̬̭̤̖͉̠͡ f̝r̻̜̣̖̻̜͖o̺m̲̠̼̗ ͓͉͔͍́1͔͇̫̜͈̺͔9̺̜̮͚͡8̟̭͚͜5̱̭̼̱̟̲̹ ̼̤̰͚̥̮̜̀o̮̞̞͖̙r̙̱͍͙̼̝̕ ̗̺̙͖͡ͅa̬͢n̰̥y̞̙̮͙̝ ̼͇͎̙̖̺y̸e͈͉̦̣̗̩à̼̙r̳̺̱̯̯̤͠ i̵͇̟̹̣n̙̼͙͙̣͇͎͝ ̡̭̥͉̞̥̬̗t̜h̸̬͎̥͈̜̟e͉ ҉͇̻̥̜͕̬8̣̯ͅͅ0̸̲̦̫'̛s͚̞̘̟̖̺ ̺̜͕͎͓̹͕ơ̯͇̣̺̬r͈̯̬͉͎͍̝͟ ̮9̨̗̩͎̯͈0's̴̮̜̬̥̯ ͖͔̲͈͕͎͡-̣ ̧̫̼̦̥͖͕e̮̭ͅv͕̠̖͚͔̯e͔̝̬͟r̮̠y͈̦o̹͕͓n̘̼̦̭̜é ̻͎͘h̫̙̯ad̲̺̫̱̣͈͖̀ g̮̟̰̩̺re̸̘̖͙a̧͓̥̤̤t ̗̖͠m̸̫i͍̘͍͈̺̪̱͝d̠͞r͕̘͉̳̪̻͙à͔̥͉̣̙͎n̟̯̻̭͇̰g͕͚̯̼͍̼e̢ ̱͓̣̮͎̼̣)͈.̢͔͇̫̩͍̟̰.͏̦̙̜͓̥̳ ̻ͅB̗́u̻͓t̗̙͙̦͡ ͖̗͓͞i̭͎̙̦̲̬̥͠n ̟̱̝̣͜t̷͕͕̠̯̼o͍d̟̩͍̞͠ạ̴̹͖̲̘̻͓y̹̮͖̼̦'̪̣̤͉̥̹͎͞s̶ ̟ ͇̰g̞a̘̘̹̹̦͕͜m̙̪͙̠ͅe̻̥͉̯͕͉͜,͡ ̲͉i̢̤t̫̜̭͞'̗̗̯͉̩͙̀s͏͙ ̬͚̣̙̯̱̳s̶̘̱̼̤̦͙t̖̜̯̣͙̞a̷̦̱t̷̹͙̻i҉͍̗͈s̶̠̺͈ͅt̴̳i͉͠c̼ ̺̜͕̭̠a͚̣͝l̻̜̻͟ ͍̦̞̭͇̟̥f̴ac̡̱̻̻̲̗̺t̛͇̬ ̛t̙͇̭̙̩̰͇ha͎̗̥͖̝̥t ͔̮̻͓̰͚ḿọs̵t̢͖͔̜͎̲ ̗̠o̞̬f̷ t̮h̳̫̪͙̫͈̖e̴̼̞͔̺̭̮ͅ ̧̟̲̩͍͕̠̪t̛̜̻o̻̠̣͟p̢̖̥̮̭̜̙̙ ̬̮̼̬̥p̫͍͎̻̦͠e̶̦ͅr̟̩̗͉im̟̹̣̘͇̩ͅet͇̠͙͈̺͈́e

3ball
06-24-2016, 05:03 PM
previous eras weren't too tough for 3s or too talented for 3s. Come off it.

I never said that, or anything like that - this is the 2nd time your reading comprehension has failed..

I said the lack of 3-point shooting/spacing in previous eras made the floor setup and the game completely different from today's game - spacing is the most significant difference between the eras, yet the media/fans ignore it when comparing players.. But the lack of spacing and different floor setup in previous eras is why today's skillsets wouldn't be as effective back then.

Specifically, players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint..

Here's a reminder of the standard setup in this gif (https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif) - penetration isn't possible, so Jordan must pull-up from midrange..

This is the primary reason Lebron would be worse back then - his lack of midrange shooting ability - virtually ALL great perimeter scorers in the 80's and 90's had great midrange (just look at the top 10 scorers from 1986 or any year (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/pts_per_g_top_10.html) in the 80's or 90's - everyone had great midrange).. But in today's game, it's statistical fact (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12389778&postcount=41) that most of the top perimeter scorers don't have good midrange jumpshots, because the spacing and hands-off defense allows them easier access to the rim.

CuterThanRubio
06-24-2016, 05:07 PM
It's clear from my years of lurking here that 3ball hasn't watched a lick of basketball in his life. You're a geek that loves stats and watch YouTube clips 24/7 of Jordan because you're too damn young to have watched him play live.

LeBron wouldn't suffer in the 80's and do you know why? That's the fastest pace in NBA history. He would have florished with the high tempo teams. Everyone was on the fastbreak. He would have been better in the 80's. Yes, he would have been less efficient in the 90's because the games were slower but he would still be a triple double machine. He would be better in the 80's.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're an analytics nerd that hasn't watched Jordan live or hasn't watched the modern NBA (2000-2016) ever. It's clearly evident with your 1000+ spam threads.

Of course!

I exposed this months ago!

LeBron doesn't need a midrange jumper, he can bulldoze past anyone

Why are Jordan fanboys so obsessed with his accomplishments while having none of their own?

When is the last time Jordan led in every statistical category during the finals?

Never!

Dragonyeuw
06-24-2016, 05:17 PM
the single biggest difference is that today's era is just flat out better and more competitive than previous eras.

In what sense? There's 4 legit title contenders( Cavs, GS,SAS,OKC), a few good teams and alot of mediocrity. How is that different from previous eras? Positional star power is down with the exception of the PG spot. The shooting guard, power forward and center position are all weaker than they were 10 years ago. So how is it better?

3ball
06-24-2016, 05:30 PM
LeBron doesn't need a midrange jumper, he can bulldoze past anyone

But he can't bulldoze THROUGH players, which is what he would need to penetrate against the overcrowded paints in previous eras

https://media.giphy.com/media/WM0txsXFKjLP2/giphy.gif

Since he can't go THROUGH players, he'd need a better midrange jumpshot, just like everyone else back then.

When is the last time Jordan led in every statistical category during the finals?

Finals Stats Thru 31 Years Old:

JORDAN:. 36.3 ppg.. 6.6 rpg.. 7.9 apg.. 2.0 spg.. 0.8 bpg.. 52.6 fg.. 3 fmvp
LEBRON:. 27.0 ppg.. 9.9 rpg.. 7.2 apg.. 1.9 spg.. 0.8 bpg.. 45.4 fg.. 3 fmvp

Jordan scores 33% more with more assists and efficiency... :eek: :bowdown:

Nash
06-24-2016, 05:57 PM
MJ would be Demar Derozan in todays league.

kshutts1
06-25-2016, 03:30 AM
I never said that, or anything like that - this is the 2nd time your reading comprehension has failed..

I said the lack of 3-point shooting/spacing in previous eras made the floor setup and the game completely different from today's game - spacing is the most significant difference between the eras, yet the media/fans ignore it when comparing players.. But the lack of spacing and different floor setup in previous eras is why today's skillsets wouldn't be as effective back then.

Specifically, players in previous eras were forced to use their midrange jumpshot rather than get to the rim because the lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to overcrowd the paint..

This is the primary reason Lebron would be worse back then - his lack of midrange shooting ability - virtually ALL great perimeter scorers in the 80's and 90's had great midrange (just look at the top 10 scorers from 1986 or any year (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/pts_per_g_top_10.html) in the 80's or 90's - everyone had great midrange).. But in today's game, it's statistical fact (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12389778&postcount=41) that most of the top perimeter scorers don't have good midrange jumpshots, because the spacing and hands-off defense allows them easier access to the rim.
It completely depends on whose skillset you're referring to. Because obviously a shooter would be the same.. the coach just might be set in his ways to use him properly.

But you're overlooking the fact that skillsets would be different if players grew up to play in that league. They'd see the skills they needed. The players from the 80's and 90's literally grew up without a 3p line; the line was introduced in like 1978 or something. So the league didn't see players enter the league with a 3p mindset until about 1998 or so. Then coaches had to figure out how to use them, because previously they were fitting square pegs in to round holes. Now they had round pegs.

3ball
06-25-2016, 04:06 AM
But you're overlooking the fact that skillsets would be different if players grew up to play in that league. They'd see the skills they needed.

Very true - if Lebron grew up in previous eras, he would grow up watching stars that used the necessary skills to dominate that era.. So his post game would be better.

But I'm not sure his midrange shot would be any better - he has a lot of mechanical issues with it, and some guys just can't shoot.. Certainly, if he was teleported from today to say, 1985, his lack of midrange jumpshot would hurt him.

It completely depends on whose skillset you're referring to. Because obviously a shooter would be the same..

A shooter would be the same, which is why Lebron would be worse, because he can't shoot.