PDA

View Full Version : Are we sure KD to GSW is an upgrade?

KirbyPls
06-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Given that GSW may have to gut a significant portion of their depth, and the fact that KD's playoff performances have trended downwards, is KD to the Warriors really the superteam upgrade that everyone thinks it is?

KD is an amazing player, but I'm not sure that sacrificing defense, depth and chemistry will automatically make the Warriors better.

Thoughts?

kamil
06-27-2016, 01:07 PM
:hammerhead:

Clyde
06-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Is it an upgrade?

Yes, yes it is.

Levity
06-27-2016, 01:13 PM
kirby, pls

KirbyPls
Who would GSW lose in order to sign KD? I'm not sure, so if someone who knows could post that would be helpful.

KirbyPls
kirby, pls

:lol :applause:

Kiddlovesnets
06-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Who would GSW lose in order to sign KD? I'm not sure, so if someone who knows could post that would be helpful.

They will lose Barnes for sure, likely Iguodala too. Losing Barnes for Durant isnt bad at all, but missing Iguodala coming off the bench can be critical.

KirbyPls
06-27-2016, 01:26 PM
They will lose Barnes for sure, likely Iguodala too. Losing Barnes for Durant isnt bad at all, but missing Iguodala coming off the bench can be critical.

That's all I'm saying. Should they do it? Yes, but it may have unintended consequences in the playoffs.

Kiddlovesnets
06-27-2016, 01:32 PM
That's all I'm saying. Should they do it? Yes, but it may have unintended consequences in the playoffs.

I think they should, this effectively eliminates the Thunder from competition, and the only opponents will be Spurs and Cavs. Finding Iguodala's replacement is hard but its doable, not sure if they can do it though. With Curry already declining, the Warriors need a new #1 option with Durant's caliber to be top contender again.

SilkkTheShocker
06-27-2016, 01:36 PM
All for them signing FT35 If it means no Bogut, Iggy, and Barbosa

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 01:37 PM

They would lose Barnes and Bogut. Maybe Ezeli too.

Curry/Livingston
Klay/Barbosa(re-sign vet minimum)
Durant/Iggy
Dray/Looney
? /Jones

Could offer Gasol the MLE.

KirbyPls
06-27-2016, 01:37 PM

Yep.

Kiddlovesnets
06-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Curry/Livingston
Durant/Iggy
Dray/Looney
? /Jones

I dont think they will trade away Bogut, considering how Bogut's injury altered the outcome of NBA Finals. In 2014 they also lost to Clippers in 7 games when Bogut went down before the series began. Its evident how important Bogut is for this team.

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Iggy would stay. No Bogut, Barnes, and maybe Ezeli.

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 01:40 PM
I dont think they will trade away Bogut, considering how Bogut's injury altered the outcome of NBA Finals. In 2014 they also lost to Clippers in 7 games when Bogut went down before the series began. Its evident how important Bogut is for this team.

Tim Kawakami who covers the warriors reported that Bogut would be dumped not Iggy.

Kiddlovesnets
06-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Tim Kawakami who covers the warriors reported that Bogut would be dumped not Iggy.

Then they have no center, they cant keep Ezeli either. They aint even making it out of the West.

tpols
06-27-2016, 01:43 PM
there is definitely some real truth to fact that trading away their bangers for more finesse may hurt the warriors come playoff time ..

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Then they have no center, they cant keep Ezeli either. They aint even making it out of the West.

They could sign Gasol for the MLE. They drafted Damian Jones to replace Ezeli as the backup center. Their depth lineup would close games regardless of who is playing center:

Curry
Klay
Iggy
Durant
Dray

would be the 4th quarter lineup in the playoffs.

34-24 Footwork
06-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Normally, dumping Bogut is stupid as hell. But dude is the Derrick rose of big men. May not be that much of a drop off. But Ezeile has to be better...Dude looks lost out there half the time.

Overdrive
06-27-2016, 01:48 PM

Bogut is o damn underrated..

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Normally, dumping Bogut is stupid as hell. But dude is the Derrick rose of big men. May not be that much of a drop off. But Ezeile has to be better...Dude looks lost out there half the time.

Even if they don't get KD their backup plan is Horford. I really don't think Bogut will be on the Warriors next season.

kamil
06-27-2016, 01:58 PM
They could sign Gasol for the MLE. They drafted Damian Jones to replace Ezeli as the backup center. Their depth lineup would close games regardless of who is playing center:

Curry
Klay
Iggy
Durant
Dray

would be the 4th quarter lineup in the playoffs.

Jesus, a line up like that woudn't be fair....

SilkkTheShocker
06-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Not saying Bogut >>> KD, but they will need a center that will be able to come in and defend the rim/get away with blatant illegal screens.

SilkkTheShocker
06-27-2016, 02:00 PM

They said the same thing with this season about the Warriors.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Speights
Barbosa
Rush

Are all UFAs. They would likely lose them all (not that big a deal).

McAdoo
Clark
Barnes (Cap Hold - 5.1M)
Ezeli (Cap Hold - 3M)

Are RFAs.

Livingston has a TO for 5.7M. That is going to be 100% picked up.

They could COMFORTABLY have cap room for:

Steph
Klay
KD
Dray
Ezeli (would have to be AFTER KD signs, but that happens ALL the time)

Iggy
Livingston
Looney

With league min players filling out the squad with the 5.6M MLE available as well (if they go in to the tax to resign Ezeli the MLE goes down to 3.4M)

They need another backup big. But they could easily track down a vet to play for what would appear to be a near certain Championship and 5.6M.

bdreason
06-27-2016, 02:24 PM
I was actually really impressed with his defense versus the Warriors.

Boogaboog
06-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Given that GSW may have to gut a significant portion of their depth, and the fact that KD's playoff performances have trended downwards, is KD to the Warriors really the superteam upgrade that everyone thinks it is?

KD is an amazing player, but I'm not sure that sacrificing defense, depth and chemistry will automatically make the Warriors better.

Thoughts?

Agreed. It's a dangerous move for GSW and KD to make. GSW and OKC are both already championship-caliber teams. Moving GSW pieces out to make way for another skilled scorer seems highly redundant.

ScalsFan21
06-27-2016, 02:27 PM
I think they should, this effectively eliminates the Thunder from competition, and the only opponents will be Spurs and Cavs.

Yeah. I mean even in the WORST case scenario, it shallows the pool of possible threats to them by 1. You could argue that alone makes it almost a no downside move, before even factoring in the things Durant can bring.

West-Side
06-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Curry/Livingston
Durant/Iggy
Dray/Looney
? /Jones

:oldlol: Like honestly, this is absolutely scary.
Getting Pau for the MLE is actually a perfect addition to this team. Pau's passing abilities and unselfish will make GS even better at passing the ball.

34-24 Footwork
06-27-2016, 03:15 PM
:oldlol: Like honestly, this is absolutely scary.
Getting Pau for the MLE is actually a perfect addition to this team. Pau's passing abilities and unselfish will make GS even better at passing the ball.

I don't like the addition of Pau for this team. Can't have that many soft dudes on this team and expect not to get plunked again.

West-Side
06-27-2016, 03:19 PM

You could argue they'd have 4 of the 10 best players in the league.
To me Green, Durant & Curry are def. top 10; and you could make a case for Klay.

If they can successfully replace Bogut with Pau...

JESUS

Flower_
06-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Is he going to box out TT?

Frenetic
06-27-2016, 04:03 PM
over draymond green? he only seems good because curry gets tripple teamed and dray gets to drive the lane with no defenders on him. curry had to play the finals with 3 people guarding him while his "stacked" team failed to do anything. this is the truth, curry has been carrying the worst team ever. who is notable from GSW? klay thompson hits 3s yea but they are usually uncontested because everyone sticks to curry like flies on shit, barnes - roleplayer - iggy - roleplay - bogut - opinionated 4 ppg player.

the single best player in the GSW warriors lineup besides curry is livingston. without a doubt. he takes all the pressure when curry is off the court and he makes shots consistantly, he has a high IQ and hes versatile.

at first i was pissed off with curry because he lost me a few hundred bucks on a bet but after rewatching the game its obvious. cavs are too stacked. they triple team curry and let the roleplayers get rolled.

lebron passes well and only reinforces that, hes got kyrie, k-love, jr smith who basically = klay thompson and then channing fry who can step on the court and drill 3's.

im sure if MJ got triple teamed in the 95-96 playoffs he would've had a similar performance.

Ben Simmons
06-27-2016, 04:05 PM
It's a clear upgrade as long as they dont gut their bench

DMAVS41
06-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Is this a serious question?

Ezeli was not relevant to this team...so losing him means nothing.

So it's basically Bogut/Barnes for Durant. And Durant is literally 3 times better than that combo.

Especially when ultimately the best lineup for the Warriors is Draymond at center anyway.

They can always find some vets and a big or two to get through the regular season.

ArbitraryWater
06-27-2016, 04:34 PM

this... and no Livingston :P

Nah but seriously, Barnes has his moments, hes okay.. Barbosa is getting older and older.. but losing Bogut/Iggy/Livingston, or two of them, hurts them.

Then again, KD is fcking KD... and a Curry/Klay/KD/Green lineup would rape.

DMAVS41
06-27-2016, 04:45 PM
this... and no Livingston :P

Nah but seriously, Barnes has his moments, hes okay.. Barbosa is getting older and older.. but losing Bogut/Iggy/Livingston, or two of them, hurts them.

Then again, KD is fcking KD... and a Curry/Klay/KD/Green lineup would rape.

I thought they didn't have to do that.

I thought they just had to renounce all the rights to their free agents...and then move Bogut.

I'm pretty sure that opens up enough space for them to sign Durant to a max....or close enough to it that money wouldn't be the reason Durant doesn't come.

Which it wouldn't be anyway...if Durant really wanted to go there. He'd take a couple million less for it to work.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2016, 05:11 PM
I thought they didn't have to do that.

I thought they just had to renounce all the rights to their free agents...and then move Bogut.

I'm pretty sure that opens up enough space for them to sign Durant to a max....or close enough to it that money wouldn't be the reason Durant doesn't come.

Which it wouldn't be anyway...if Durant really wanted to go there. He'd take a couple million less for it to work.

Last page I outlined specifically what the most likely outcome would be. Not only can they keep Iggy and Livingston, they can keep Ezeli too (his cap hold is only 3M; they would go over the cap, but can do so using the cap hold).

If we are seriously looking at a:

Steph
Klay
Iggy
KD
Dray

Ezeli
Livingston
+MLE

Team I might just watch Euroleague ball for a few years. Because that team shouldn't lose a game. And joining a 73 win team is NOT the same as LeBron going to Miami. Not even close.

DMAVS41
06-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Last page I outlined specifically what the most likely outcome would be. Not only can they keep Iggy and Livingston, they can keep Ezeli too (his cap hold is only 3M; they would go over the cap, but can do so using the cap hold).

If we are seriously looking at a:

Steph
Klay
Iggy
KD
Dray

Ezeli
Livingston
+MLE

Team I might just watch Euroleague ball for a few years. Because that team shouldn't lose a game. And joining a 73 win team is NOT the same as LeBron going to Miami. Not even close.

Yea...that's what I thought. Didn't know that about Ezeli...he would be nice to keep of course.

Totally agree. This would be the biggest bitch move in sports history. It's significantly worse than Lebron going to Miami...anyone comparing it is a liar.

I almost hope it happens because I will never hate a team more a go against a team more than a Warriors team with KD.

So that part of it would be pretty fun.

SCdac
06-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Too much of a good thing can be bad imo. I agree the team would be sick if everything worked out, but something about Curry/Thompson/KD on the same team makes me feel like one of em is going to take a hit in effectiveness/impact/value. Feel like they would be better served trying to get some assets back for Thompson if they're gonna fit KD in. Kinda feel like Durant would fall into a trap of being more and more of jump shooter on the Warriors

bobeticus
06-27-2016, 07:07 PM
in case KD goes to GSW... you have my approval

you're a 100%

http://i.imgur.com/jIW3Ale.jpg

:confusedshrug:

MASH Transit
06-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Too much of a good thing can be bad imo. I agree the team would be sick if everything worked out, but something about Curry/Thompson/KD on the same team makes me feel like one of em is going to take a hit in effectiveness/impact/value. Feel like they would be better served trying to get some assets back for Thompson if they're gonna fit KD in. Kinda feel like Durant would fall into a trap of being more and more of jump shooter on the Warriors

Durant shoots so many jumpers for OKC because the paint is almost always clogged by one of Kanter or Adams. That won't be the case with GS.

Ca$H
06-27-2016, 09:58 PM

Klay is the best spot up shooter in the NBA. He would be the ultimate 3 and D guy.

SCdac
06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Klay is the best spot up shooter in the NBA. He would be the ultimate 3 and D guy.

I agree with that and hear what you're saying.

But he also needs shots to spot up and shoot.

Every season for instance Thompson's three point attempts (and shots) have gone up.

4.1 (rookie season) ---> 6.6 (two seasons later) --- > 8.1 (2016 season)

And Thompson arguably hasn't peaked. At just 25 years old I think he could blossom more given the opportunity.

But with Durant and Curry combining for 35+ shots a game it'd be different than the last two years that's for sure.

I guess it'd be comparable to Durant/RW/Harden on the Thunder, but worth noting Harden came off the bench at the time and was really relegated compared to his Houston days where he now has max freedom. Eventually Harden chose to take the money and bounce. Thompson being a champion already, I could see him eventually doing the same.