PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Brings In First Ever Chinese Minority Owner

FireDavidKahn
06-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Sources: Lizhang Jeng to be NBA's first Chinese minority owner

3:03 PM CT
Brian Windhorst
ESPN Senior Writer

Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor has sold shares in the team including to the NBA's first-ever Chinese minority owner in a deal that will enable Taylor to remain the franchise's controlling owner into the future, sources told ESPN.com.

Taylor announced last year that he planned to sell 30 percent of the team to Steve Kaplan, a current minority owner of the Memphis Grizzlies, with the intention of Kaplan becoming the controlling owner in the future. That deal fell apart earlier this year.

Last week Taylor closed a deal to bring in Lizhang Jeng, a Shanghai-based businessman. Jeng, who founded Chinese marketing company Double-Edge Sports, previously worked with the NBA in China. Earlier this month Jeng, 35, completed the purchase of Spanish soccer club Granada CF. Lanxiong Sports of China reported Jeng purchased five percent of the Wolves and Minnesota Lynx.

In addition, Taylor has sold a share of the team to Meyer Orbach, a New York-based real estate magnate.

At least twice in the last five years Taylor has put the Wolves on the market only to later back off and decide to keep the team. This investment, which league sources indicate put a valuation on the team at around $1 billion, adds stability to Taylor's position.

After their planned deal with Taylor fell apart, Kaplan and partner Jason Levien bought 60 percent of English Premier League soccer club Swansea City in April and closed on the deal earlier this month.

The Wolves are expected to announce the deal later this week.

Wolves popularity in China is about to explode

FireDavidKahn
06-27-2016, 05:25 PM
In Januray, Forbes valued this team at $720 million...6 months later and the NBA valued us at $1 billion...

Good things are happening in Minny:D

DMAVS41
06-27-2016, 05:29 PM
In Januray, Forbes valued this team at $720 million...6 months later and the NBA valued us at $1 billion...

Good things are happening in Minny:D

It's certainly a team that not enough people are talking about.

The Thibs addition is brilliant...and while I think they need to make a few moves, they are going to be really really good this season imo.

Can't wait to bet on their over win total.

What is the deal on Pek health wise? It would be nice if they could dump him.

FireDavidKahn
06-27-2016, 05:37 PM
It's certainly a team that not enough people are talking about.

The Thibs addition is brilliant...and while I think they need to make a few moves, they are going to be really really good this season imo.

Can't wait to bet on their over win total.

What is the deal on Pek health wise? It would be nice if they could dump him.
Pek will never contribute again. He is toast.

But we wont be really good this year. I'd say 40 wins would be great. All the young guys having to learn a completely new system takes a lot longer than overnight.

FKAri
06-27-2016, 05:37 PM
What happened to pek? what was the injury?

FireDavidKahn
06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
What happened to pek? what was the injury?
Pek has had chronic ankle issues his entire career and last year had an achilles

DMAVS41
06-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Pek will never contribute again. He is toast.

But we wont be really good this year. I'd say 40 wins would be great. All the young guys having to learn a completely new system takes a lot longer than overnight.

I was thinking more around 45 wins, but you make a good point.

KAT is just so good. Rubio is under-rated imo. Lavine at sg is actually quite nice.

Wiggins is obviously going to flourish under Thibs because he'll learn to play a lot smarter on defense and put his talent to better use.

I also have always really like Dieng.

I'd like to seem them add something of note this year. A guy like luol deng could be a nice veteran presence to help them all learn and make Thibs job a little easier to have someone lead by example. Also could allow the Wolves to play Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Deng/KAT (Dieng)...which would be a pretty devastating small ball lineup as a change of pace.

A guy like Crabbe makes sense to me as well as a nice role player off the bench. Thibs could get him defending...and he has a nice stroke from range...and good size as well. That is the type of guy I'd overpay a bit now on and lock him in for 4 years. Overpay a bit now...contract will look great after the increase next year if he fits in well and improves.

I wonder what it would take for a team to take Pek. I guess it's not a huge deal because he expires after next year, but it might be nice to have that extra room this summer and next depending on the plan. Obviously you can't give up much to shed him...

AintNoSunshine
06-27-2016, 09:25 PM
There will only be either HOU or MIN game in China from here on out, good lord:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: