PDA

View Full Version : Joakim Noah expected to sign with Knicks for $18 mil/yr

no pun intended
06-30-2016, 02:43 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/06/29/joakim-noah-expected-to-sign-with-new-york-knicks-for-18-milllion-a-year/

Rose
Afflalo
Anthony
Porzingis
Noah

DMAVS41
06-30-2016, 02:44 AM
How many years?

If it's 2 years...it's not a bad deal.

raprap
06-30-2016, 02:48 AM
If LeBron beats this team myghad

tomtucker
06-30-2016, 02:49 AM
$18 mil/yr
for someone who can't hit a basket if his life depended on it !

NBAGOAT
06-30-2016, 03:00 AM
this means the report about nba executives thinking dwight would get only 10-15 is definitely lowballing. I think he gets at least 25(max is like 31).

aj1987
06-30-2016, 03:15 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

$18M for someone who's garbage on the offensive end and has been less than impressive on the defensive end. When was the last time the guy was healthy?

RoundMoundOfReb
06-30-2016, 03:19 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

$18M for someone who's garbage on the offensive end and has been less than impressive on the defensive end. When was the last time the guy was healthy?
Get used to it. People are about to be overpaid like crazy.

Prime_Shaq
06-30-2016, 03:28 AM
18 mil wtf... What's Dwight gonna get then

NBAGOAT
06-30-2016, 03:33 AM
18 mil wtf... What's Dwight gonna get then

good chance the max which is like 31. I say at least 25.

Asiantastic
06-30-2016, 03:36 AM
This makes no sense. Why not just go after Dwight with that money?

Noah admittedly has more heart than Howard on the floor, but it's still strange to think that he's going to earn more than 10 mil. He just hasn't been the same post-injury.

Gileraracer
06-30-2016, 03:42 AM
Noah's great when healthy. Too bad i can't remember last time he actually was healthy.

AcquiringSteak
06-30-2016, 03:46 AM
Lebron and his cavs will murder this Knicks team if they ever meet, they got no cohesion or drive.

aj1987
06-30-2016, 03:54 AM
Noah's great when healthy. Too bad i can't remember last time he actually was healthy.
Absolutely trash offensively. His defense has slipped as well. He's basically a decent rebounder, who's never healthy.

SpaceJam
06-30-2016, 04:10 AM
Hate to see him and Rose go in the same season, those dudes were the heart of this team. Glad they gonna be on the same team together

Hopefully they can stay healthy, however 18mil is a stretch

If that's what a player like Noah is getting, R Lopez's deal looks pretty sweet for us

Chokefree
06-30-2016, 04:46 AM
$18 mil/yr
for someone who can't hit a basket if his life depended on it !
:roll: :roll:

JebronLames
06-30-2016, 05:07 AM
If LeBron beats this team myghad
If LeBron makes it past them, he is the undisputed goat

Bosnian Sajo
06-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Noah admittedly has more heart than Howard on the floor, but it's still strange to think that he's going to earn more than 10 mil. He just hasn't been the same post-injury.

Because Howard brings chemistry issues, he killed 3 teams in a row, and 2 teams who he never was even apart of (Nets, Mavs). Dwight is straight up bitch made.

90sgoat
06-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Phil gonna make that triangle come true.

Except Rose who is a dumbass, Noah, Melo, Porzingis are picture perfect triangle players.

AirBonner
06-30-2016, 05:58 AM
Will knicks even reach 40 wins with this roster?

Draz
06-30-2016, 06:01 AM
You guys are hating. This team looks great. Noah needs to be healthy but he plays with heart.

90sgoat
06-30-2016, 06:07 AM
You guys are hating. This team looks great. Noah needs to be healthy but he plays with heart.

If healthy and that's a big IF, Rose and Noah IF healthy, yes that is a great looking team at least it will be entertaining.

GINOBILI!
06-30-2016, 06:27 AM
How do they have contract stuff figured out if they aren't allowed to talk yet?

2swift4u
06-30-2016, 06:47 AM
18 mil/yr ?? :roll: :roll:

Nash
06-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Looks like the team Melo rejected last year :roll: :roll:

Dragonyeuw
06-30-2016, 07:16 AM

Because they need someone who can fill a role of defender/rebounder, and not need more touches than the state of his offensive game dictates. His type of game is more likely to return to prior form post-injury( or close enough to), than Dwight's is.

BlakFrankWhite
06-30-2016, 07:17 AM
He averaged 4/9 on 38% FG :lol

Dumb fcks Knicks.

GINOBILI!
06-30-2016, 07:27 AM
He averaged 4/9 on 38% FG :lol

Dumb fcks Knicks.
Well, this is the same franchise who celebrated landing Rose just weeks earlier, despite him being injury prone and simply bad in recent years.

Derka
06-30-2016, 08:27 AM
How do people still trash the amount and forget how enormously the cap is going up over the next couple of years? :lol Dumbasses.

What games I saw Noah in last year, the dude looked like he'd aged tremendously. He's gonna need to bring that Noah energy on the defensive end to be of any help to this Knicks team.

aj1987
06-30-2016, 08:32 AM
How do people still trash the amount and forget how enormously the cap is going up over the next couple of years? :lol Dumbasses.

What games I saw Noah in last year, the dude looked like he'd aged tremendously. He's gonna need to bring that Noah energy on the defensive end to be of any help to this Knicks team.
Probably because the guy can't stay healthy at all. The cap is going up in '17 and not this season. Even with the substantial cap increase, Noah is NOT worth $18M.

Sakkreth
06-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Well Knicks are setting themselves up for another big disappointment.

Derka
06-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Probably because the guy can't stay healthy at all. The cap is going up in '17 and not this season. Even with the substantial cap increase, Noah is NOT worth $18M.
The cap is going up to $94 million for the 2016-2017 season and keeps increasing for the next two seasons. And he is absolutely worth that on a 2-year deal with an option...if they sign him for four or five years at that, then I agree he's nowhere near worth that. Max players are going to be in the neighborhood of $28-$31 million.

aj1987
06-30-2016, 08:39 AM
The cap is going up to $94 million for the 2016-2017 season and keeps increasing for the next two seasons. And he is absolutely worth that on a 2-year deal with an option...if they sign him for four or five years at that, then I agree he's nowhere near worth that. Max players are going to be in the neighborhood of $28-$31 million.
Unless he can stay healthy, he's not worth anything more than the MLE (how ever much that is). Even when he has been playing, he hasn't looked like he's worth than that, the past couple of seasons.

kNicKz
06-30-2016, 08:41 AM
18 Mil? ugh

Knicks do need a Center badly though

SilkkTheShocker
06-30-2016, 08:59 AM
The Knicks are a f.ucking joke.

Ramza
06-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Now we'll finally get to see Melo play with Rose/Noah like everyone wanted a few years ago. Interesting.

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Some of yall need to read Zach Lowe's latest article.

Sarcastic
06-30-2016, 09:13 AM
What happened to teams not being allowed to meet with players till July 1?

midatlantic09
06-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Does Phil Jackson know what he's doing? He's clearly not trying to build a championship contender....just a bunch of broken down/aging guys.

Jasper
06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/06/29/joakim-noah-expected-to-sign-with-new-york-knicks-for-18-milllion-a-year/

Rose
Afflalo
Anthony
Porzingis
Noah
no one else wants a busted up center :confusedshrug:

Jasper
06-30-2016, 01:38 PM
What happened to teams not being allowed to meet with players till July 1?
that is for everyone but NY Knicks

Let me rephrase that :
NY isn't gold , it's SILVER country

hiphopfan777
06-30-2016, 01:48 PM
What a blood bath

nathanjizzle
06-30-2016, 01:49 PM
hopefully the knicks training staff is alot more competent than the bulls is. noah will have a good season playing for his hometown next to his best buddy d rose. noah and porzingis the best front court duo in the game. that defense though. those put backs though :biggums:

rose and noah gonna bring the energy back on the court for the knicks.

Velocirap31
06-30-2016, 02:32 PM
This sets a new precedent. Everyone is going to feel like they deserve more money than Noah.

SwishSquared
06-30-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't know how many years they give to him, but it better not be more than two. If they gave him ~$54M/3 years, I'd have rather kept the cheaper option in RoLo.

But $36M/2 years to Noah vs. ~$45M/3 years remaining to Robin Lopez? I'd maybe still consider keeping Lopez. They may as well pursue Biyombo with those kinds of numbers being thrown around. Yeah Noah's a lot better passing, but at least Biyombo brings athleticism, lob threat on offense, and potentially a better bill of health.

DMAVS41
06-30-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't know how many years they give to him, but it better not be more than two. If they gave him ~$54M/3 years, I'd have rather kept the cheaper option in RoLo.

But $36M/2 years to Noah vs. ~$45M/3 years remaining to Robin Lopez? I'd maybe still consider keeping Lopez. They may as well pursue Biyombo with those kinds of numbers being thrown around. Yeah Noah's a lot better passing, but at least Biyombo brings athleticism, lob threat on offense, and potentially a better bill of health.

Yep.

I told everyone that Robin's contract was going to start looking damn good after this free agency...and it's already started hours before if this is accurate.

Biyombo is better in my opinion...and he fits better on the Knicks.

Totally agree about Noah's passing, but he'll never have the damn ball with Rose, Melo, and Kristaps out there all the time. And they might add another offensive piece as well...he won't touch the damn ball.

Cone
06-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Knicks are dumb :oldlol:

sd3035
06-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Still a garbage team except for Porzingis

SwishSquared
06-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Yep.

I told everyone that Robin's contract was going to start looking damn good after this free agency...and it's already started hours before if this is accurate.

Biyombo is better in my opinion...and he fits better on the Knicks.

Totally agree about Noah's passing, but he'll never have the damn ball with Rose, Melo, and Kristaps out there all the time. And they might add another offensive piece as well...he won't touch the damn ball.I thought that RoLo contract was very reasonable. I think Noah has value, but at like $10M/year in a backup role. I really don't like this move for the Knicks if it's long-term.

And like you said- Rose/Melo/Porzingis will take up most touches. It's fine to have Noah set them up as a look out of the high PnR. But I'd much rather invest in a younger rim protector than get putbacks and lobs on O. They'd have 48 minutes of rim protection between him and KP. Heck, Knicks should try to engage Philly in a Nerlens trade if that's on the table lol.

Chicago would be wise now to pursue Biyombo.

DMAVS41
06-30-2016, 04:35 PM
I thought that RoLo contract was very reasonable. I think Noah has value, but at like $10M/year in a backup role. I really don't like this move for the Knicks if it's long-term.

And like you said- Rose/Melo/Porzingis will take up most touches. It's fine to have Noah set them up as a look out of the high PnR. But I'd much rather invest in a younger rim protector than get putbacks and lobs on O. They'd have 48 minutes of rim protection between him and KP. Heck, Knicks should try to engage Philly in a Nerlens trade if that's on the table lol.

Chicago would be wise now to pursue Biyombo.

Yea.

Also totally agree on the Bulls with Biyombo. If they are keeping Butler and not completely rebuilding...it would be a mistake to chase guards when they actually should add another big.

Biyombo / Lopez would be a great fit and an awesome rotation.

Keno
06-30-2016, 04:47 PM
another stacked powerhouse eastern conference team my god. how much better will it get? lebron will beat yet another stacked team.

senelcoolidge
06-30-2016, 04:52 PM
18 mil for a guy who's best year was 11-12 and has been hurt a lot recently. Knicks gonna knick.

Meticode
06-30-2016, 04:55 PM
I know this is under the new salary cap rules, but Noah will be getting paid more than Tristan Thompson. Thompson won't make $18 million until the 19-20 season.

Pretty much anyone who signed last year long-term, those teams got a deal on those players because they would easily be getting $3 to $4 million more this season.

RedBlackAttack
06-30-2016, 05:04 PM
I know this is under the new salary cap rules, but Noah will be getting paid more than Tristan Thompson. Thompson won't make $18 million until the 19-20 season.

Pretty much anyone who signed last year long-term, those teams got a deal on those players because they would easily be getting $3 to $4 million more this season.
...which I tried to explain to people last year, but they didn't want to hear it. It was so worth it to "overpay" for good young players on longterm deals last year to avoid ... THIS.

Gonna get ugly. We'll feel some of the pain with re-signing JR and maybe Delly, but at least the core (minus James) is in the bank already.

Meticode
06-30-2016, 05:13 PM
...which I tried to explain to people last year, but they didn't want to hear it. It was so worth it to "overpay" for good young players on longterm deals last year to avoid ... THIS.

Gonna get ugly. We'll feel some of the pain with re-signing JR and maybe Delly, but at least the core (minus James) is in the bank already.
By all accounts, Smith deserves to make more money. He earned it last year in the regular season and playoffs. If he can give us near what he did last year, I'll be happy with that.

SwishSquared
06-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Yea.

Also totally agree on the Bulls with Biyombo. If they are keeping Butler and not completely rebuilding...it would be a mistake to chase guards when they actually should add another big.

Biyombo / Lopez would be a great fit and an awesome rotation.We'll see what they do going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sign Mahinmi and save $$$ instead of getting the best young C on the market. Or if they chase the wrong bigs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Bulls right now. I thought that they got a good return on Rose (quite a bit more than I expected actually). But I didn't like their draft strategy.

The Knicks would be making a great team if it was 5 years ago. I don't think I'm gonna like their FA period haha.

SwishSquared
06-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Gonna get ugly. We'll feel some of the pain with re-signing JR and maybe Delly, but at least the core (minus James) is in the bank already.Absolutely. Considering how much flack the Cavs got for signing TT to that deal, he's looking like a bargain already. He's not "worth" that deal, but the alternatives were awful. They had near-zero ability to replace his production and he came up huge in their biggest series.

I didn't get those who said they should let him walk.

Tmuston Beltics
06-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Dam Cavs are the underdog yet again..

smoovegittar
06-30-2016, 05:35 PM
I'll be well pleased with this signing. They'll be working out Marshall Plumlee in the Summer league, and KP's old team mate Willy Hernangomez will be on board. Much prefer Noah over Dwight. They can rotate these dudes at the 5 if they work out. Knicks are in good hands right now... haters can hate all they want; I'm looking forward to the new season.

DMAVS41
06-30-2016, 05:37 PM

Such a good point. All that arguing and people are gonna wake up in 5 days and understand that the Shump (although he has to play better) and TT contracts were nothing to note even just from a monetary standpoint and not factoring in the Cavs specific situation

In the Nate Duncan mock free agency...JR Smith got a 3 yr 60 million dollar deal from the Cavs. Haha.

RedBlackAttack
06-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Such a good point. All that arguing and people are gonna wake up in 5 days and understand that the Shump (although he has to play better) and TT contracts were nothing to note even just from a monetary standpoint and not factoring in the Cavs specific situation

In the Nate Duncan mock free agency...JR Smith got a 3 yr 60 million dollar deal from the Cavs. Haha.
I wouldn't go that high with unless we have to match some other offer. I'd get his contract done at 12:01 tonight and give him between $12-15 million for 2-3 years... whatever it takes to get him locked in. The $20 million a year seems like a lot, even for this offseason. Then again, deals like this one don't help our cause. lol

He's absolutely key, though, and we have to re-sign him.

In retrospect Tristan was worth every penny, because there's no way in hell we win a championship without him. He was absolutely key against the Warriors. His ability to switch onto anyone and be maybe the best bigman defender on Steph Curry in the league allowed the defense to do what it did.

If he were a free agent this year, I'd hate to even see what the numbers would look like.

TAZORAC
06-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Who pay's a guy who can only play defense and rebound, and who only plays 50% of the season 18mil a year?

smoovegittar
06-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Who pay's a guy who can only play defense and rebound, and who only plays 50% of the season 18mil a year?

New York, that's who. And we got paper, son.

DMAVS41
06-30-2016, 05:44 PM
We'll see what they do going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sign Mahinmi and save $$$ instead of getting the best young C on the market. Or if they chase the wrong bigs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Bulls right now. I thought that they got a good return on Rose (quite a bit more than I expected actually). But I didn't like their draft strategy.

The Knicks would be making a great team if it was 5 years ago. I don't think I'm gonna like their FA period haha.

Mahinmi would be great as well.

I personally would blow up the Bulls if I was in charge because I don't think Butler can be "that guy"...

I also think that Lopez contract would be great trade bait because it's going to look insanely good even if you don't love Lopez. And with another increase next year and him on the books for 3 more years...teams will give up something real for it...especially the right teams.

So I'd ship Butler to the Wolves or Celtics. Some package of Lavine/Dunn future first or the Nets pick, Smart, and another pick or two.

Then move Lopez for a young player / pick...

Then move Gibson.

They really could land a huge haul by trading Butler/Gibson/Lopez.

Tank...maybe you end up with two top 5 picks in next years draft and you have essentially nobody on the books but young players on great contracts.

I like that more than going down the ...we'll see where Butler takes us path.

LebronsHairline
06-30-2016, 05:46 PM
New York Knicks: Home Of The Hasbeens

Euroleague
06-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Noah would be one of the worst rotation centers in the Euroleague....

Jackson - "Let's give him $18 million a year".

Why not, he traded for a guy that has been an ex player for like 5 years now.

Phil Jackson is rapidly proving that he is retarded.

Euroleague
06-30-2016, 07:11 PM
I'll be well pleased with this signing. They'll be working out Marshall Plumlee in the Summer league, and KP's old team mate Willy Hernangomez will be on board. Much prefer Noah over Dwight. They can rotate these dudes at the 5 if they work out. Knicks are in good hands right now... haters can hate all they want; I'm looking forward to the new season.

Hernangomez is good at finishing, and he's big and strong. But he can't play a lick of defense. He would get in for 5 minutes with Real, play horrible D, then get benched for the rest of the game.

That was his entire career so far in Europe. No D at all.

smoovegittar
06-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Noah would be one of the worst rotation centers in the Euroleague....

Jackson - "Let's give him $18 million a year".

Why not, he traded for a guy that has been ex player for like 5 years now.

Phil Jackson is rapidly proving that he is retarded.

You may be correct - they're working out Ognjen Kuzmic -

Euroleague
06-30-2016, 07:14 PM
You may be correct - they're working out Ognjen Kuzmic -

If that is true, then this can't be real life.....

Kuzmic was THE WORST CENTER IN EUROLEAGUE and the WORST CENTER IN THE HISTORY OF PANATHINAIKOS.

If the Knicks would even consider that mega colossal scrub, then Jackson is the biggest moron to ever set foot in an NBA front office.

He got cut from Panathinaikos due to sucking so much, just this season, and that was the worst Panathinaikos team of the last 25 years....

smoovegittar
06-30-2016, 07:50 PM
If that is true, then this can't be real life.....

Kuzmic was THE WORST CENTER IN EUROLEAGUE and the WORST CENTER IN THE HISTORY OF PANATHINAIKOS.

If the Knicks would even consider that mega colossal scrub, then Jackson is the biggest moron to ever set foot in an NBA front office.

He got cut from Panathinaikos due to sucking so much, just this season, and that was the worst Panathinaikos team of the last 25 years....
Well, I'll watch him the 4 games and see how he pans out -

poido123
06-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Wow.

That was a baaaad overpay.

How can Noah command anything over 15 mill with his history and lack of offensive game is beyond me.

smoovegittar
06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Wow.

That was a baaaad overpay.

How can Noah command anything over 15 mill with his history and lack of offensive game is beyond me.
Wow.

Salty.

Hey Yo
06-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Wonder why he didn't consider Miami???

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmOnMwlXEAUWUE4.jpg

G-train
06-30-2016, 09:52 PM
"Breaking: Noah expected to sign with Knicks for $18 mil/yr"

Believe it when I see it.

Jasper
06-30-2016, 11:10 PM
he just signed with Boston :wtf:

ReturnofJPR
07-01-2016, 01:03 AM

Stop right there!

Noah hasn't been healthy in years! That's Thibs for ya. Minnesota better get used to it. He will give them 2-4 years of competition but he will ruin Wiggins and company into the ground. Especially, Towns. Thibs is the dusty baker of the NBA ruining careers but instead of Kerry wood and Mark prior it'll be Wiggins and towns.

Sarcastic
07-01-2016, 01:09 AM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/6-12-2015/4OrYMS.gif

Real14
07-01-2016, 01:28 AM
I like Noah but that's too much damn money for him.

Meticode
07-01-2016, 01:29 AM
I like Noah but that's too much damn money for him.
Too much money, too many years considering his injury and he's 31. He'll be 32 in February.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 01:33 AM
4 years???????

Hahahahahahahahahah.

Told you guys that Robin Lopez contract would look incredible in a couple days.

:cheers:

Real14
07-01-2016, 01:34 AM
Too much money, too many years considering his injury and he's 31. He'll be 32 in February.
Shit, I just hope that he will be healthy for us especially in horneck's system. Phil Jackson better pray.

SwishSquared
07-01-2016, 01:42 AM
4 years???????

Hahahahahahahahahah.

Told you guys that Robin Lopez contract would look incredible in a couple days.

:cheers::cheers:

Looks like bigs still on rookie deals just had their trade value go up. $16M/yr for Mozgov (the new Asik contract) and $18M/yr for Noah (the new Chandler contract). What an inflated market.

And how haven't Biyombo or Mahimni had any buzz? Based on the market now, Chicago fleeced New York in that deal.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 01:48 AM
:cheers:

Looks like bigs still on rookie deals just had their trade value go up. $16M/yr for Mozgov (the new Asik contract) and $18M/yr for Noah (the new Chandler contract). What an inflated market.

And how haven't Biyombo or Mahimni had any buzz? Based on the market now, Chicago fleeced New York in that deal.

Oh for sure.

So the Bulls got 2 real assets in a salary dump of Rose.

I didn't see if you responded to my plan for the Bulls, but now I'm convinced they really should blow it up.

Lopez is going to look amazing now...even better than I thought.

Gibson...even though he expires, will be sought after.

And, my god, Butler's contract after this absurdity, it makes him one of the most valuable players in the league on that alone.

Forget my earlier ideas on trades...he's now worth even more.

They could got an absurd amount if they moved Butler, Gibson, and Lopez...I don't know how you pass that up...and it looks like they are sitting out free agency.

Blow it up, tank, and it could be an unreal rebuild in a great market...

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

SwishSquared
07-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Oh for sure.

So the Bulls got 2 real assets in a salary dump of Rose.

I didn't see if you responded to my plan for the Bulls, but now I'm convinced they really should blow it up.

Lopez is going to look amazing now...even better than I thought.

Gibson...even though he expires, will be sought after.

And, my god, Butler's contract after this absurdity, it makes him one of the most valuable players in the league on that alone.

Forget my earlier ideas on trades...he's now worth even more.

They could got an absurd amount if they moved Butler, Gibson, and Lopez...I don't know how you pass that up...and it looks like they are sitting out free agency.

Blow it up, tank, and it could be an unreal rebuild in a great market...

I'd love to hear your thoughts...My bad on not responding above! I was going to write back a bit later after thinking some more.

However my idea would have been to flip Butler/Lopez/Calderon to Lakers for Russell, #2, and a lightly protected 1st. Now, I think the Lakers would have easily done that deal hahaha after paying all that cash for Mozgov. That 3 man package could/would be worth a ton now. Imagine how much Boston would have give up for that package on draft day with hindsight of this market right now. They could move Butler/Calderon to Philly for next year's 1st, Noel, RoCo, other young guys, and the LAL pick probably. Who knows actually.

I can see Portland trading for Lopez, though not sure what they'd give up. Milwaukee could use a starting caliber big. ATL likely would have interest if Horford walks. There's a large market for RoLo now, but those are just a couple teams.

Butler is an insane value right now. He's paid like $1 or 2M/yr more than Noah hahaha. I'd probably start shopping hard if they want to tank. They need to go full Hinkie if they do have a firesale instead of fielding a mid lotto type team. I didn't like their draft but at least they're not going insane with stupid contracts right now in free agency.

I don't know what they'd trade for him, but I bet Thibs would take Gibson easily right now. I'd imagine they could move Gibson to Toronto potentially (maybe for Corey Joseph?) since they really only have Carroll and Patterson as useful Fs. I think Toronto would move Delon Wright for him, but I'd take a shot on Powell too.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 02:18 AM
My bad on not responding above! I was going to write back a bit later after thinking some more.

However my idea would have been to flip Butler/Lopez/Calderon to Lakers for Russell, #2, and a lightly protected 1st. Now, I think the Lakers would have easily done that deal hahaha after paying all that cash for Mozgov. That 3 man package could/would be worth a ton now. Imagine how much Boston would have give up for that package on draft day with hindsight of this market right now. They could move Butler/Calderon to Philly for next year's 1st, Noel, RoCo, other young guys, and the LAL pick probably. Who knows actually.

I can see Portland trading for Lopez, though not sure what they'd give up. Milwaukee could use a starting caliber big. ATL likely would have interest if Horford walks. There's a large market for RoLo now, but those are just a couple teams.

Butler is an insane value right now. He's paid like $1 or 2M/yr more than Noah hahaha. I'd probably start shopping hard if they want to tank. They need to go full Hinkie if they do have a firesale instead of fielding a mid lotto type team. I didn't like their draft but at least they're not going insane with stupid contracts right now in free agency.

I don't know what they'd trade for him, but I bet Thibs would take Gibson easily right now. I'd imagine they could move Gibson to Toronto potentially (maybe for Corey Joseph?) since they really only have Carroll and Patterson as useful Fs. I think Toronto would move Delon Wright for him, but I'd take a shot on Powell too.

Love that Lakers trade...love it all.

So, the question is though...if you were running the Bulls...do you do blow it up after free agency to capitalize and get what will likely be max value for all those guys and hard tank for a year or 2?

Or do you run it back with Butler?

I say tank. What would you do?

SwishSquared
07-01-2016, 02:29 AM
Love that Lakers trade...love it all.

So, the question is though...if you were running the Bulls...do you do blow it up after free agency to capitalize and get what will likely be max value for all those guys and hard tank for a year or 2?

Or do you run it back with Butler?

I say tank. What would you do?Thanks for the feedback!

I tank hard next season. I don't run it back with Butler at this time. I would have been compelled to shop him more at the draft. I think Jimmy's a top 15 player in his prime, maybe even near his peak. But right now they only have 2 good starters, no bench, and lots of chemistry problems. I don't see them progressing to more than 2nd round fodder over next 3 seasons.

I'd call LAL, BOS, and Philly this week asking for some deals. It depends on what you want from each team, but Boston really only has the Brooklyn picks and solid, young role players to offer. LAL has no picks really, but could be great for a trading partner if you love Ingram and Russell. Philly has the best draft assets in the league most likely. I'd probably trade with Philly honestly. Trade Lopez to the Bucks for a top 8 protected 1st (else converts to '17 pick swap), Butler to Philly for a monster package, Gibson to Portland for something, and Mirotic (expiring contract) to Toronto maybe (CoJo/Powell straight up?).

Huge firesale to reboot the franchise.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I tank hard next season. I don't run it back with Butler at this time. I would have been compelled to shop him more at the draft. I think Jimmy's a top 15 player in his prime, maybe even near his peak. But right now they only have 2 good starters, no bench, and lots of chemistry problems. I don't see them progressing to more than 2nd round fodder over next 3 seasons.

I'd call LAL, BOS, and Philly this week asking for some deals. It depends on what you want from each team, but Boston really only has the Brooklyn picks and solid, young role players to offer. LAL has no picks really, but could be great for a trading partner if you love Ingram and Russell. Philly has the best draft assets in the league most likely. I'd probably trade with Philly honestly. Trade Lopez to the Bucks for a top 8 protected 1st (else converts to '17 pick swap), Butler to Philly for a monster package, Gibson to Portland for something, and Mirotic (expiring contract) to Toronto maybe (CoJo/Powell straight up?).

Huge firesale to reboot the franchise.

Yep. I think it's clear that is the path that makes the most sense.

I would have shopped Butler harder at the draft as well, but it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I really think his value has already gone up in the first 3 hours of free agency.

Once the dust settles...people will look up and see that contract and the player he is..and will offer the farm.

imdaman99
07-01-2016, 02:37 AM
Well, 4 years is not a terribly long time. I can live with it. Plus he has more impact in the game than RoLo did because he can pass too. I suppose he's a triangle guy, I remember him having a ridiculous triple double against the Knicks a couple years back. He had like 12-13 assists :eek:

Health is a major concern. In other words, we need to figure out who the hell is his backup, same as with Rose :oldlol:

poido123
07-01-2016, 04:03 AM
Well, 4 years is not a terribly long time. I can live with it. Plus he has more impact in the game than RoLo did because he can pass too. I suppose he's a triangle guy, I remember him having a ridiculous triple double against the Knicks a couple years back. He had like 12-13 assists :eek:

Health is a major concern. In other words, we need to figure out who the hell is his backup, same as with Rose :oldlol:

As a bulls fan who has watched him for many years, you will LOVE Noah, but then curse at him constantly watching the TV :oldlol:

Misses a lot of bunnies, however if he is free from injury he is a beast an da great anchor on defense. I'd say his offensive game completely falls off when he has no confidence in his body.

DCL
07-01-2016, 05:49 AM
greg oden's gotta be hating this more than anyone

Derka
07-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Four years? Ouch. Good luck with this one, Knicks.

nathanjizzle
07-01-2016, 08:07 AM
yikes, thats alot of money for jo. he has huge impact though when hes healthy and hes gonna bring energy to a team that doesnt have any. great fit.

Jasper
07-01-2016, 09:22 AM
noah going to a dead city , on a dead beat team owned by a dead beat owner.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

SwishSquared
07-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Yep. I think it's clear that is the path that makes the most sense.

I would have shopped Butler harder at the draft as well, but it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I really think his value has already gone up in the first 3 hours of free agency.

Once the dust settles...people will look up and see that contract and the player he is..and will offer the farm.That's a good point- he probably definitely has more value than he did a couple weeks back.

What's the most Philly would offer for him in your opinion?

ALBballer
07-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Terrible deal.

Noah's game is based on athleticism and hustle and he's on the wrong side of 30. And it hinders KP since he should be playing more minutes at center and it will clog the lane for Rose and Melo.

I would of maybe been ok with 2 years and maybe 3 with a team option but 4? This Knicks team is going to be hot garbage this year. Sure they might make the playoffs but we have no chance of beating any of the top teams in the East.

NYCPG
07-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Its like you people have no grasp of the salary cap increase. This is equivelant to a 13 Mil contract on the old deal. Noah fills a huge void and is exactly what New York needs. Noah brings everything RoLo did, but he also brings what the Knicks are lacking majorly : Heart and Compete. Sure, he's been injured the last couple years but he's 2 years removed from being the DPOY and damn near MVP candidate. He doesn't need to score to impact the game. He fills the stat sheet in every category and he will surely change the culture in that locker room. Health is a huge concern but you got to pay to get impact players. Look at the deals other enters signed:
Dwight 3 yrs 24 per
Biyombo 4 yrs 70 mil
Mozgov 4 yr 64

Noah brings a lot more value than Biyombo does and essentially makes the same money. Its crazy, when theres no talent on the roster critics will roast the Knicks for losing. When there is an effort to make the team competitive, people still criticize. KD is not signing in NY. Lebron is not signing in NY. Phil has been questionable at best at Prez but atleast he has brought talent for Hornacek to utilize, something we haven't had in years.

DMAVS41
07-02-2016, 06:22 PM
That's a good point- he probably definitely has more value than he did a couple weeks back.

What's the most Philly would offer for him in your opinion?

I don't know if Philly is a team that wants him. Do they?

If they do...I'd imagine they'd offer Okafor and a pick or two. I don't really like him in Philly though. Feel like it kind of needs to be Simmons team.

DMAVS41
07-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Its like you people have no grasp of the salary cap increase. This is equivelant to a 13 Mil contract on the old deal. Noah fills a huge void and is exactly what New York needs. Noah brings everything RoLo did, but he also brings what the Knicks are lacking majorly : Heart and Compete. Sure, he's been injured the last couple years but he's 2 years removed from being the DPOY and damn near MVP candidate. He doesn't need to score to impact the game. He fills the stat sheet in every category and he will surely change the culture in that locker room. Health is a huge concern but you got to pay to get impact players. Look at the deals other enters signed:
Dwight 3 yrs 24 per
Biyombo 4 yrs 70 mil
Mozgov 4 yr 64

Noah brings a lot more value than Biyombo does and essentially makes the same money. Its crazy, when theres no talent on the roster critics will roast the Knicks for losing. When there is an effort to make the team competitive, people still criticize. KD is not signing in NY. Lebron is not signing in NY. Phil has been questionable at best at Prez but atleast he has brought talent for Hornacek to utilize, something we haven't had in years.

It's a great move if Noah is healthy and the Knicks contend. Same thing with the Rose trade.

If the Knicks actually contend this year...it's worth it.

If they don't contend and these guys get hurt...it just set the franchise back.

ReturnofJPR
07-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Dwight 3 yrs 24 per
Biyombo 4 yrs 70 mil
Mozgov 4 yr 64

Dwight Howard is a proven commodity and a franchise player. Noah is coming off of many injuries. He is skin and bones, nothing but lankyness with a mop for hair. He can pass the ball really well when he is the 3rd or 4th person getting the pass in a possession, setting up teammates flawlessly in the lane. However, with Melo and Rose...The Knicks will never make more than 2 passes. This move and the Rose move will stunt Porzingis' growth.

You make this deal 5 years ago, not today.

Noah can't shoot, misses lay ups you and me can make with ease, he misses his free throws but he used to be able to rebound and defend. He has the ugliest shot in the game and it always bricks. He looks like a 3 year old girl when he shoots, just look at the way he sticks out his tongue through his teeth while giving the stink eye looking like he needs a diaper change. Old player who is injury prone, should be interesting...

And back to Byiombo, he was the hottest free agent name in the early round of the playoffs. Noah hasn't played in years...one is entering his prime and the other one is over the hill..you can't compare the two.

Draz
07-02-2016, 10:41 PM
This is the best roster we have to date for the past 20 years?

Seriously. Give the franchise a break. They're taking risks. But, risks worth the attempt.

ReturnofJPR
07-02-2016, 10:45 PM
This is the best roster we have to date for the past 20 years?

Seriously. Give the franchise a break. They're taking risks. But, risks worth the attempt.

Reminds me of the Nets a couple of years ago...

poido123
07-02-2016, 10:52 PM
yikes, thats alot of money for jo. he has huge impact though when hes healthy and hes gonna bring energy to a team that doesnt have any. great fit.

Deng got the same money.

There's that.

poido123
07-02-2016, 10:54 PM
I wish the best for Rose and Noah and hope they return to their best.

I also want to see the Knicks be good again.

I think the Noah contract isn't so bad now that I've seen the others floating around...

NYCPG
07-03-2016, 12:43 AM
It's a great move if Noah is healthy and the Knicks contend. Same thing with the Rose trade.

If the Knicks actually contend this year...it's worth it.

If they don't contend and these guys get hurt...it just set the franchise back.

It is obviously gambling on health, but whats the alternative? Whoever you sign in FA, you will have to pay generously for them. We have seen that over the last two days. The alternative is not fielding a competitive roster again and having cap space with nobody interested in coming to NY. Funny how it worked. Getting Rose led to us getting Noah even though there was serious interest from other teams (Wizards,Bulls, Lakers). Getting Noah led to us getting Courtney Lee, even though he had serious interest from other teams as well. Talent attracts other talent. Players want to play on winning teams. There is no use having cap space if your team is terrible. Philly and L.A are prime examples of that. No major FA will even sit to have a meeting with them. IF nothing else, this changes the culture in NY.

NYCPG
07-03-2016, 12:50 AM
Dwight Howard is a proven commodity and a franchise player. Noah is coming off of many injuries. He is skin and bones, nothing but lankyness with a mop for hair. He can pass the ball really well when he is the 3rd or 4th person getting the pass in a possession, setting up teammates flawlessly in the lane. However, with Melo and Rose...The Knicks will never make more than 2 passes. This move and the Rose move will stunt Porzingis' growth.

You make this deal 5 years ago, not today.

Noah can't shoot, misses lay ups you and me can make with ease, he misses his free throws but he used to be able to rebound and defend. He has the ugliest shot in the game and it always bricks. He looks like a 3 year old girl when he shoots, just look at the way he sticks out his tongue through his teeth while giving the stink eye looking like he needs a diaper change. Old player who is injury prone, should be interesting...

And back to Byiombo, he was the hottest free agent name in the early round of the playoffs. Noah hasn't played in years...one is entering his prime and the other one is over the hill..you can't compare the two.

Dwight has rapidly declined year by year over the last three or four years. Check his numbers. He is also known as a bad leader and terrible locker room guy. Dwight has mentally checked out on the last 2 teams he has played for, and your justifying paying him max? Yes Noah has been injured the last two years, but it was a shoulder injury that cost him the season last year and him playing less games actually benefits us. He isn't a great offensive player but thats not what he is signed for. He is making his money in the trenches, anchoring the D, being a leader, making sure everyone is accountable. He is one of the best big man passers in the game. If anything, him being here doesn't stunt Porzingods growth, it helps shelter him a bit defensively and gets him easier looks on offense. Porzingis was worn down at the end of last year and that was because he was overused. He has the ability to be mentored by one of the toughest players in the game and it will do nothing but benefit him.

Biyombo has never came close to Noahs level of play. He has never even been a consistent starter. He played well for a stretch of 30 games, similar to Jerome James in Seattle. Noah is way more proven and worthy of that pay day. Also, if you think Biyombo is actually 24 you are more naive than I thought. :biggums:

NYCPG
07-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Reminds me of the Nets a couple of years ago...

Garnett was 37 at the time of that trade. Paul Pierce was 35.

Noah is 31. Rose is 27.

:biggums:

DMAVS41
07-03-2016, 10:01 AM
It is obviously gambling on health, but whats the alternative? Whoever you sign in FA, you will have to pay generously for them. We have seen that over the last two days. The alternative is not fielding a competitive roster again and having cap space with nobody interested in coming to NY. Funny how it worked. Getting Rose led to us getting Noah even though there was serious interest from other teams (Wizards,Bulls, Lakers). Getting Noah led to us getting Courtney Lee, even though he had serious interest from other teams as well. Talent attracts other talent. Players want to play on winning teams. There is no use having cap space if your team is terrible. Philly and L.A are prime examples of that. No major FA will even sit to have a meeting with them. IF nothing else, this changes the culture in NY.

Yea. I readily admit that I didn't see them improving the roster like this after the Rose trade.

However, I just wouldn't have gone down this road if I'm the Knicks.

This is one of those trades / off season in which it's all results oriented. If they contend and or win over the next 2 years...it's good. If not...it's terrible.

I would have just tried to build around Kristaps and would have rather moved Lopez/Grant for young assets and or a pick. Like I said at the time, that Lopez contract was going to be more valuable after free agency so I feel like they moved it at the wrong time.

Long story short...I wouldn't make these moves just because I don't think they can actually win the title. And if you can't win the title...I just don't see why you want to lock in some of these guys for 4 years when it makes improving the roster and building around Kristaps harder going forward.

And that Rose conundrum if he plays well this year could seriously set them back if they sign him next summer to a long term deal.

We'll see though...Lee was a really nice pick up and if Noah stays healthy...this team could be really good defensively. Which is honestly the most important thing for this team imo...playing quality defense.

SwishSquared
07-05-2016, 01:36 AM
I don't know if Philly is a team that wants him. Do they?

If they do...I'd imagine they'd offer Okafor and a pick or two. I don't really like him in Philly though. Feel like it kind of needs to be Simmons team.I don't know if they want him, but they have a trove of draft assets that Chicago could definitely use. I would half-expect this FO to rush a rebuild, based on BC's prior history.

I agree though that this needs to be a team built around Simmons, their potentially 2 lotto picks next year, and maybe some FAs.

Not sure what Chicago will do the rest of the summer, unless I missed some of their moves.

I did like NYK re-upping Lance Thomas on a reasonable deal. Not sure I like Jennings, though as a backup I guess it's worth a shot. I didn't see his contract #s yet though. I feel this team on paper could have a 1-year run and then be hamstrung by the Noah and Lee deals.

DMAVS41
07-05-2016, 01:45 AM
I don't know if they want him, but they have a trove of draft assets that Chicago could definitely use. I would half-expect this FO to rush a rebuild, based on BC's prior history.

I agree though that this needs to be a team built around Simmons, their potentially 2 lotto picks next year, and maybe some FAs.

Not sure what Chicago will do the rest of the summer, unless I missed some of their moves.

I did like NYK re-upping Lance Thomas on a reasonable deal. Not sure I like Jennings, though as a backup I guess it's worth a shot. I didn't see his contract #s yet though. I feel this team on paper could have a 1-year run and then be hamstrung by the Noah and Lee deals.

Jennings was for 1 year / 5 million...really like this actually. Good for back up and Rose injury insurance.

The Bulls signed Rondo...which I think is just the height of stupidity in their circumstances. It was only for 2 years...and it has a mutual 2nd year option in which both Rondo or the Bulls can say they want to part ways.

I don't understand this move. Butler isn't a championship first option and it is just going to be too hard to build a title contending team around him. This team isn't exciting either...

Like we talked about...Butler's value is sky high right now. You know the Celtics would throw the Nets pick and more at the Bulls. I just can't believe they'd rather sign Rondo and try to make a playoff push for a non contending team with an insanely deep draft coming...with a real chance they could get two top 5 picks with their own / Nets.

Especially when they have just pretty much punted on free agency in terms of acquiring anyone with a real future on the team.

As for the Philly stuff. Maybe they would do something stupid...I just don't know why you'd rush the process by giving up real assets for Butler right now. You are at least 4 years from truly contending if everything goes right imo. What good is Butler when by the time the team is ready...Butler is moving out of his prime?