PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robertson On LeBron

PHILA
06-30-2016, 08:25 PM
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/186041762/oscar-robertson-on-lebron-james

June 25, 2016

ATLANTA -- When greatness praises greatness, you never know what you'll hear sometime. Take, for instance, the bold suggestion on Friday at the Center for Civil and Human Rights, where Oscar Robertson said LeBron James is so peerless these days in the NBA that the league should get rid of its Most Valuable Player Award for embarrassing itself.

"He got no votes for the MVP award," Robertson said, raising his voice while shaking his head. His reference was to James in relation to Golden State Warriors sharpshooter Stephen Curry, who finished this past regular season as the first unanimous winner of the award that Robertson captured in 1964 along the way to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. "I mean, he takes his [Cleveland Cavaliers team] to the NBA Championship, and he gets no votes at all. I think that was a bias situation. They should just do away with the award. For him not to get a vote? I think it's terrible."

Just for the record, the voting for NBA MVP happens each season before the playoffs, but you get Robertson's point. This also isn't to say that The Big O is totally surprised by the King James snub.

"You know, that's just the way things are in the world today," said Robertson, 77, in town as one of the honorees for the annual Hank Aaron Champion for Justice Awards as part of Heritage Weekend for the Atlanta Braves. "[James] plays great. I don't think he had the team to win it all last year, because two of his guys were out. But this year, when [the Warriors] stopped making field goals, it's a different game. I admire LeBron, and he kept real quiet until all the games were over. Then he said some things.

[I]"But I'll tell you one thing. There's so much social media around nowadays that I'm glad LeBron won. Only because, if he hadn't

NBAGOAT
06-30-2016, 08:43 PM
not surprising coming from Oscar knowing how he sees himself if Lebron and not being a fan of Curry's game. Curry definitely deserved that MVP however since it's just based off the RS.

Jasper
06-30-2016, 11:12 PM
Rs - regular season.

MVP should be of whole resume of the year.

Lebron23
06-30-2016, 11:18 PM
I agree with the Big O. I think LeBron wins his 5th MVP next season. He won't play in the 2016 Olympics. and Cavs are winning 60 games.

KirbyPls
06-30-2016, 11:47 PM
I agree with the Big O. I think LeBron wins his 5th MVP next season. He won't play in the 2016 Olympics. and Cavs are winning 60 games.

It'd be cool, but I'm much more concerned about rings and Finals MVPs at this point. I don't care what he does in the RS. Let Kyrie and Love do some heavy lifting, work on his passing, handles, jumper, and turn into the best player in the game when it counts again.

One more FMVP (although if Kyrie keeps coming, LBJ has his work cut out for him on that front if they make another Finals) and two more rings is far more valuable to me and his legacy than another MVP. Not to mention that for him to get an MVP, he may spend too much energy in the RS, leaving CLE unable to win it all against another West juggernaut.

My opinion anyway.

feyki
07-01-2016, 07:16 AM
He's right .

Todays votings are totally one sided , if there's a dominant player ; all votes goes him all the way . It's a bad thing .

PHILA
07-01-2016, 01:22 PM
http://theundefeated.com/features/oscar-robertson-lebron-hes-mvp-athlete-entrepreneur-and-leader/

Oscar Robertson gives LeBron his blessing

‘I wish LeBron and I could have teamed up together’

By Oscar Robertson - July 1, 2016

https://s31.postimg.org/43dpzh2vf/snjzx2u.jpg

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Two players better than Kobe :applause:

Anyway, that shit was really bad... not one vote, and behind Leonard? :biggums:

feyki
07-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Two acrobats cannot dance on the same rope .

But both were similar level players in their primes . Oscar had playmaking and shooting while Lebron had defence and boards .

3ball
07-01-2016, 02:35 PM
He got his first two when he interrupted his stay with the Cavaliers to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat.

Lebron's own words show that he underachieved with the Heat, since he expected 'not 5, not 6, not 7'..

It's easy to forget what was expected of that Heat team when evaluating the quality of 2/4 and a record defeat.

"He's much bigger, taller," Robertson said. "But anytime you play the game of basketball, and you're a dominant player, you have to make sure you get the other players involved in the action, and LeBron is learning that. As the years go by, he's gotten better at doing that, but if you don't have guys who can contribute, you certainly can't throw them the ball."

The bolded is giving Lebron an excuse for his 2009 and 2010 failures as the 1-seed, by saying he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast..

But if he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast, then why did that supporting cast add enough production on top of his 28/8/7 to win 66 games in 2009?.. Contrastingly, Jordan's supporting cast only enough on top of his 33/8/8 to win 47 games in 1989..

The 19-win advantage despite Lebron's inferior production indicates a better supporting cast, and probably inferior competition as well... But not brand of basketball - we know Jordan's brand of basketball was better because his brand was more successful in the playoffs.. Jordan's 6th seeded Bulls beat higher seeds in every round and took the champs to 6 games in ECF, while Lebron's heavily-favored 1 seed saw their brand of basketball exposed in the 2nd Round by the Magic.

Hoopz2332
07-24-2016, 10:10 AM
:pimp:

ShawkFactory
07-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Lebron's own words show that he underachieved with the Heat, since he expected 'not 5, not 6, not 7'..

It's easy to forget what was expected of that Heat team when evaluating the quality of 2/4 and a record defeat.

The bolded is giving Lebron an excuse for his 2009 and 2010 failures as the 1-seed, by saying he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast..

But if he didn't have a sufficient supporting cast, then why did that supporting cast add enough production on top of his 28/8/7 to win 66 games in 2009?.. Contrastingly, Jordan's supporting cast only enough on top of his 33/8/8 to win 47 games in 1989..

The 19-win advantage despite Lebron's inferior production indicates a better supporting cast, and probably inferior competition as well... But not brand of basketball - we know Jordan's brand of basketball was better because his brand was more successful in the playoffs.. Jordan's 6th seeded Bulls beat higher seeds in every round and took the champs to 6 games in ECF, while Lebron's heavily-favored 1 seed saw their brand of basketball exposed in the 2nd Round by the Magic.
Jordan's production was not superior to Lebrons. Per 100 possessions, Lebron scored more, grabbed more boards, dishes more assists

FatComputerNerd
07-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Two acrobats cannot dance on the same rope .

But both were similar level players in their primes . Oscar had playmaking and shooting while Lebron had defence and boards .

Lebron had/has everthing. He isn't a pure shooter but he can shoot, and is one of the best play-makers of all time - better than most true point-guards.

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Oscar Robertson was another dude who could only pad empty stats vs weak competition and couldn't win until he teamed up with a GOAT in Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Anything sound familiar?)

No wonder the Big Empty loves LeBron, he is a modern day version of himself

Nilocon165
07-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Oscar Robertson was another dude who could only pad empty stats vs weak competition and couldn't win until he teamed up with a GOAT in Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Anything sound familiar?)

No wonder the Big Empty loves LeBron, he is a modern day version of himself
In 2016 Curry put up one of the worst finals performances of all time

This is what he looked like trying to guard Kyrie

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/m_8DziMFB8s/0.jpg

Therefore we can conclude that Curry is a choking loser

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 03:52 PM
In 2016 Curry put up one of the worst finals performances of all time

This is what he looked like trying to guard Kyrie

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/m_8DziMFB8s/0.jpg

Therefore we can conclude that Curry is a choking loser

Curry is one of the top 5 point guard defenders in the league

Curry had a tough time defending Kyrie because of his MCL injury

MCL Injuries mainly effect lateral movement and explosiveness, both crucial for perimeter defense

[Quote]The MCL is one of four ligaments connecting the femur bone to the tibia at the knee. It helps keep the knee stable as it moves from the outside to the inside.

So the lateral movements are going to put pressure on the ligament.

Athletic trainers refer to what

LeFraud James
07-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Jordan's production was not superior to Lebrons. Per 100 possessions, Lebron scored more, grabbed more boards, dishes more assists

When you don't allow your teammates to get into a rythm by holding onto the ball for the first 20 seconds of every shot clock, it isn't much of an accomplishment.

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 04:06 PM

MCL Injuries mainly effect lateral movement and explosiveness, both crucial for perimeter defense

:facepalm A grade 1 mcl sprain wont affect your lateral quickness most players would have came back a game later, he took 2 weeks off and still played like s.hit.

3ball
07-24-2016, 04:11 PM

from 2015 Finals, when Curry was healthy:

"Curry was the primary defender on 21 isolation plays in the playoffs, and he limited opponents to 1-of-14 shooting on those attempts (7 percent).

Additionally, Curry forced a turnover on 19 percent of his plays as an isolation defender, the fourth-best rate among guards this postseason.

Curry’s ability to guard one-on-one allowed the Warriors’ wing defenders to double-team LeBron James effectively. When James was double-teamed, the Cavaliers scored 5 points on 2-of-18 shooting (11 percent).".

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/106718/iguodala-heads-all-playoff-defensive-team

However, the Warriors only felt the need to double-team Lebron 18 times in the entire Finals!!... That's from Lebron's poor shooting - double-teaming is mainly to stop a guy who's jumpshot is hot, since defenders can converge on the paint for drives

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Comparing curry guarding f.ucking delladova to kyrie :facepalm

3ball
07-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Comparing curry guarding f.ucking delladova to kyrie :facepalm
Curry was hurt - torn MCL

However, even though an MCL tear is considered a major injury, he still didn't need to be to be carried off the court like when Lebron had cramps.

Curry might be smaller in stature, but he's obviously tougher and more alpha

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Curry was hurt - torn MCL

However, even though an MCL tear is considered a major injury, he still didn't need to be to be carried off the court like when Lebron had cramps

A grade 1 mcl sprain and torn mcl are not the same, If he actually tore his mcl he wouldn't be playing at all, While a grade 1 sprain is the lightweight tissue sprain, not even the highest degree of sprains. It's like equating getting a scrape from falling on concrete to getting stabbed. :facepalm I can tell you never took an anatomy course while in school :facepalm

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 04:23 PM
:facepalm A grade 1 mcl sprain wont affect your lateral quickness most players would have came back a game later, he took 2 weeks off and still played like s.hit.

The time table for return of an MCL sprain is 2 to 4 weeks.

(Keep in mind that healing timetable is for every day activity, nothing more strenuous than walking up one flight of stairs, NOT playing professional basketball)

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 04:24 PM
.[QUOTE=3ball]from 2015 Finals, when Curry was healthy:

[INDENT][I]"Curry was the primary defender on 21 isolation plays in the playoffs, and he limited opponents to 1-of-14 shooting on those attempts (7 percent).

Additionally, Curry forced a turnover on 19 percent of his plays as an isolation defender, the fourth-best rate among guards this postseason.

[COLOR="Blue"]Curry

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 04:25 PM
The time table for return of an MCL sprain is 2 to 4 weeks.

(Keep in mind that healing timetable is for every day activity, nothing more strenuous than walking up one flight of stairs, NOT playing professional basketball)

Curry had no knee issues, he just played like shit.

Before Game 7:
https://i.imgflip.com/17hgtd.gif
People suffering with mcl tears dont do this.

Game 3:

https://i.imgflip.com/17hglh.gif (https://imgflip.com/gif/17hglh)
Shit finals performers get this.

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Curry had no knee issues, he just played like shit.

Before Game 7:
https://i.imgflip.com/17hgtd.gif
People suffering with mcl tears dont do this.

Doing a dunk in warm ups in no way indicates a player is 100% healthy. The main problem that is caused by an MCL injury is loss of lateral movement and explosiveness.

The MCL is one of four ligaments connecting the femur bone to the tibia at the knee. It helps keep the knee stable as it moves from the outside to the inside.

So the lateral movements are going to put pressure on the ligament.

Athletic trainers refer to what’s called a “valgus” position — that’s when the knee is turned inward toward the center of the body, and the MCL stretches to keep the joint stable.

Most people naturally stand in a slight valgus position, meaning they are putting a little pressure on their MCL without even trying. Playing basketball just adds to that stress, especially during quick lateral movements

“That valgus position occurs pretty often in basketball,” said Meredith Petschauer, an exercise and sports science professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, “because what you have to do in basketball all the time is plant your foot and turn in a different direction.”

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Doing a dunk in warm ups in no way indicates a player is 100% healthy. The main problem that is caused by an MCL injury is loss of lateral movement and explosiveness.

The MC ligament attaches to the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shinbone). Recovery Time: A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.

The results of an MRI on the right knee he injured in Sunday’s Game 4 win against the Houston Rockets showed only a Grade 1 MCL sprain.

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 04:46 PM
The MC ligament attaches to the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shinbone). Recovery Time: A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.

The results of an MRI on the right knee he injured in Sunday’s Game 4 win against the Houston Rockets showed only a Grade 1 MCL sprain.

https://s31.postimg.org/6i27i55uh/MCLSprain_Table.jpg

As you can see there are 5 different degrees of severity in each Grade of MCL sprains

It can be a mild Grade 1 sprain that heals in a few days

Or it can be a severe Grade 1 sprain that takes 2 + weeks

Not all injuries are the same, each injury is unique in it's own right

That is why it is not possible to say that one person's Grade 1 MCL sprain exactly same as another's, and that they share similar healing timetables

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 05:00 PM

As you can see there are 5 different degrees of severity in each Grade of MCL sprains

It can be a mild Grade 1 sprain that heals in a few days

Or it can be a severe Grade 1 sprain that takes 2 + weeks

Not all injuries are the same, each injury is unique in it's own right

That is why it is not possible to say that one person's Grade 1 MCL sprain exactly same as another's, and that they share similar healing timetables
A grade 1 sprain wouldn't take 2+ weeks, it would be upgraded to a grade 2+ sprain There's no such thing as a severe grade 1 sprain a severe grade 1 sprain is literally the same as saying a grade 3+ sprain :facepalm

You probably didn't even take an anatomy course in high school. :facepalm

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 05:08 PM
A grade 1 sprain wouldn't take 2+ weeks, it would be upgraded to a grade 2+ sprain There's no such thing as a severe grade 1 sprain a severe grade 1 sprain is literally the same as saying a grade 3+ sprain :facepalm

You probably didn't even take an anatomy course in high school. :facepalm

Wrong, there are 5 degrees of severity in each Grade of MCL sprain that is differentiated by the separation between the joints in millimeters

Recovery
Expected recovery for a Grade 1 MCL sprain usually occurs in 1-4 weeks depending on the severity of the injury.

Sources: https://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/knee/diagnosis/59-knee-diagnosis/84-grade-i-mcl-sprain

Recovery
Expected recovery for a Grade 2 or 3 MCL sprain usually occurs in 3 weeks to 3 months, depending on the severity of the injury, although lingering minor stiffness and soreness for six months is not uncommon.

Sources: https://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/knee/diagnosis/59-knee-diagnosis/85-grade-ii-or-iii-mcl-sprain

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Wrong, there are 5 degrees of severity in each Grade of MCL sprain that is differentiated by the separation between the joints in millimeters

Sources: https://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/knee/diagnosis/59-knee-diagnosis/84-grade-i-mcl-sprain

Sources: https://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/knee/diagnosis/59-knee-diagnosis/85-grade-ii-or-iii-mcl-sprain

A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports. This is from an actual viable and reliable college research .ORG source instead of .com clinic. Again there's no such thing as a severe grade 1 sprain.. if it's severe it will be upped to a grade 2 or 3.. depending on severity. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/mcl_tear/treatment.html

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 05:20 PM
A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports. This is from an actual viable and reliable college research .ORG source instead of .com clinic. Again there's no such thing as a severe grade 1 sprain.. if it's severe it will be upped to a grade 2 or 3.. depending on severity. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/mcl_tear/treatment.html

A Grade 1 with 0 to 1 millimeters of separation is less severe than a Grade 1 with 5 millimeters of separation (which is basically a Grade 2 sprain)

So if a Grade 1 Timetable has a healing expectation of 1-2 Weeks as you claim (which is not true)

And a Grade 2 Timetable has a healing expectation of 2 - 4 weeks

If someone has a severe Grade 1 Sprain (5 millimeters of separation), the healing time table will be closer to the Grade 2 sprain (6 millimeters of separation)

TheWinningFam
07-24-2016, 05:33 PM
A Grade 1 with 0 to 1 millimeters of separation is less severe than a Grade 1 with 5 millimeters of separation (which is basically a Grade 2 sprain)

So if a Grade 1 Timetable has a healing expectation of 1-2 Weeks as you claim (which is not true)

And a Grade 2 Timetable has a healing expectation of 2 - 4 weeks

If someone has a severe Grade 1 Sprain (5 millimeters of separation), the healing time table will be closer to the Grade 2 sprain (6 millimeters of separation)
Prove curry had 5 milimeters of separation :facepalm And even then that shit will only take at the most 2 weeks to heal.

Hey Yo
07-24-2016, 05:39 PM
"According to a recent story from Wired, platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) is the process of taking growth factors from a patient's own blood and concentrating them before injecting them back into the body. The hope is that these concentrated growth factors will accelerate healing. Curry told reporters Tuesday that he received the treatment on the second day after his injury.

Whether PRP therapy is actually effective is another matter, as doctors continue to debate whether there is clear medical evidence of a significant benefit.

Via Wired:

[Orthopedic surgeon Brian] Cole maintains these injections have shown some benefits for healing and, at the very least, haven't shown evidence of being harmful.

But others are skeptical. "There are some situations where it's not utilized in a biologically sound way," says [Dr. Anthony] Luke. "Everyone is always looking for the newest cutting-edge technique that might save a few days or a magic bullet that might fix this." He cautions athletes from using therapies like PRP injections in the place of giving the body enough time to heal.

"It seems Curry is on pace to at least meet that two-week goal. Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters on Tuesday that there is hope Curry could play in team scrimmages later this week, and he has not been ruled out for Game 3 on Saturday. Should he return that night, Curry would be one day shy of the two-week mark set by the team.

Curry came back in game 4 and showed no signs of slowing down after that.

He was fine.

warriorfan
07-24-2016, 07:08 PM
"According to a recent story from Wired, platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) is the process of taking growth factors from a patient's own blood and concentrating them before injecting them back into the body. The hope is that these concentrated growth factors will accelerate healing. Curry told reporters Tuesday that he received the treatment on the second day after his injury.

Whether PRP therapy is actually effective is another matter, as doctors continue to debate whether there is clear medical evidence of a significant benefit.

Via Wired:

[Orthopedic surgeon Brian] Cole maintains these injections have shown some benefits for healing and, at the very least, haven't shown evidence of being harmful.

But others are skeptical. "There are some situations where it's not utilized in a biologically sound way," says [Dr. Anthony] Luke. "Everyone is always looking for the newest cutting-edge technique that might save a few days or a magic bullet that might fix this." He cautions athletes from using therapies like PRP injections in the place of giving the body enough time to heal.

"It seems Curry is on pace to at least meet that two-week goal. Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters on Tuesday that there is hope Curry could play in team scrimmages later this week, and he has not been ruled out for Game 3 on Saturday. Should he return that night, Curry would be one day shy of the two-week mark set by the team.

Curry came back in game 4 and showed no signs of slowing down after that.

He was fine.

PRP is a completely unproven treatment

[Quote]
Now, though, the first rigorous study asking whether the platelet injections actually work finds they are no more effective than saltwater. The study, reported in the Jan. 13 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Hoopz2332
08-17-2016, 10:19 AM
http://edge-img.datpiff.com/mefb0d4a/Young_Keesh_BleedA_Real_Recognize_Real-front-large.jpg