PDA

View Full Version : Mavs in full blow panic/rebuild mode

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Cuban and Donnis has had 4 years of cap space and all they landed was wes mathews and chandler parsons who walked after 2 years. what do they do.

im hoping for a tank year

feyki
07-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Why ?

kentatm
07-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Cuban doesnt understand the cost of doing business w/the new CBA and ever rising cap. His constant wandering eyes and going for other players who are unlikely to leave for less money while disregarding his own FAs has led to this.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Cuban and Donnis has had 4 years of cap space and all they landed was wes mathews and chandler parsons who walked after 2 years. what do they do.

im hoping for a tank year

Chandler Parsons was a game changer.

He's the future of the Mavs...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Cuban doesnt understand the cost of doing business w/the new CBA and ever rising cap. His constant wandering eyes and going for other players who are unlikely to leave for less money while disregarding his own FAs has led to this.

And you said it best on the Mav board:

No reason for him to take a pay cut when Cubes cant close the deal w/any FAs of note yet again.

the biggest FA signings they've made w/Dirk are.....

Parsons who they then let walk for nothing

Monta who they then let walk for nothing

Haywood who was waived via amnesty clause

Erick Dampier who was technically acquired via a sign/trade, was traded for Tyson Chandler who they let walk for nothing... twice

I hope Dirk takes the Kobe route and just sign big money. Tell Cuban to go find a free agent after I retire.

KobeLookLike2Pac
07-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Only one thing to do. Suit up and get the shit done himself.

http://static3.therichestimages.com/cdn/568/728/90/cw/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/cherokee.parks_.mark_.cuban_.h.jpg

Overdrive
07-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Crazy how the Mav's reputation fell so much within just a few years. I think the mishandling of the '11 roster basically self-blackballed for FAs.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Crazy how the Mav's reputation fell so much within just a few years. I think the mishandling of the '11 roster basically self-blackballed for FAs.

We've never been able to get free agents of note. This is not a recent thing.

Cuban/Nellie Jr. even admit that Chandler just fell into their lap before 11...nobody else in the league really even wanted him.

They haven't done anything of note in free agency ever really.

A monkey could have built a better team/franchise since the 04 season...

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Not just '11. Part of it is Cuban continues to run his mouth about other players: see Russell Westbrook in this year's playoffs.

That turns **some** free agents off. (Players don't want to hear about shortcomings and grudges can run deep.)

Not keeping anyone for longer than a year or two turns **some** free agents off. (No free agents wants to sign somewhere and be dumped immediately via trade or let go.)

Not taking the draft seriously turns **some** free agents off. (The reason is because the draft allows you to add young talent, and most free agents like to see youth on the roster, not retread vets. If the cupboard is bare... very few players want to join a team no matter how much you offer. Players want to play with other players.)

feyki
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Only one thing to do. Suit up and get the shit done himself.

http://static3.therichestimages.com/cdn/568/728/90/cw/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/cherokee.parks_.mark_.cuban_.h.jpg

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Put him on the pivot position , that smallball :oldlol: .

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-01-2016, 02:52 PM
The Mavs also have a Jerry Jones type situation going on as well. If you look at Mav history (when Dirk has been good).... most of their acquisitions have been through the draft and trades.

Nellie may have been a a "so so" coach. But he was a great talent evaluator. He could find talent. (Much like Isiah Thomas in that regard.) Nellie and Nellie Jr found guys like Nash and Dirk. They found guys like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard.

But when Nellie left, Cuban became the defacto decision maker and much like when Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys, Jerry Jones started making really bad decisions, so did Cuban.

The Mavs lucked out in getting that assembly in 2011. And part of that was Dirk told Cuban to "shut up" and quit distracting the team about non basketball issues (refs/etc).... Cuban obliged.

And then Plan Powder came around after they won the championship. Cuban thought there would be tons of bargains because of the luxury tax, etc. He was wrong. He stripped the team in Wayne Hyzeinga style. And the Mavs haven't recovered yet.

This last year has been the only time where they look like they are **trying** to get some assets. Drafting Anderson, signing Matthews, keeping Powell, etc.

pastis
07-01-2016, 03:58 PM
lets trade matthews for some picks and tank.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 03:59 PM
i think comparisons to jerry jones are accurate. except he didn't entrust his franchise to Dave Campo. he kept rick carlise in pace alerting of the bad times up ahead. i doubt carlisle ever quits on the mavs. Carlisle is Jimmy that stayed.

i say mavs sign a bunch of unproven talent and max out dirk at 60 mil for 2 years. next year being a player option. dirk opts out after this year and mavs try again next year. if mavs lose, resign dirk.

this year is a complete rebuild. justin anderson is the first man up.

pastis
07-01-2016, 04:02 PM
i think comparisons to jerry jones are accurate. except he didn't entrust his franchise to Dave Campo. he kept rick carlise in pace alerting of the bad times up ahead. i doubt carlisle ever quits on the mavs.

i say mavs sign a bunch of unproven talent and max out dirk at 30 mil for 2 years. next year being a player option. dirk opts out after this year and mavs try again next year.

this year is a complete rebuild. justin anderson is the first man up.

in fact im glad and i hope that cuban DONT try desperately to get some old and washed up overrated and overpaid bum. lets take this season as a chance for the young guys. anderson, mejri and powell have potential, especially anderson can be a great perimter defender. lets trade matthews for some picks. and lets go!!!:applause:

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 04:07 PM
in fact im glad and i hope that cuban DONT try desperately to get some old and washed up overrated and overpaid bum. lets take this season as a chance for the young guys. anderson, mejri and powell have potential, especially anderson can be a great perimter defender. lets trade matthews for some picks. and lets go!!!:applause:
no. lets keep mathews. he's finley to a lesser extent. the vet that is a pro and can lead a locker room.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 04:10 PM
The Mavs also have a Jerry Jones type situation going on as well. If you look at Mav history (when Dirk has been good).... most of their acquisitions have been through the draft and trades.

Nellie may have been a a "so so" coach. But he was a great talent evaluator. He could find talent. (Much like Isiah Thomas in that regard.) Nellie and Nellie Jr found guys like Nash and Dirk. They found guys like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard.

But when Nellie left, Cuban became the defacto decision maker and much like when Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys, Jerry Jones started making really bad decisions, so did Cuban.

The Mavs lucked out in getting that assembly in 2011. And part of that was Dirk told Cuban to "shut up" and quit distracting the team about non basketball issues (refs/etc).... Cuban obliged.

And then Plan Powder came around after they won the championship. Cuban thought there would be tons of bargains because of the luxury tax, etc. He was wrong. He stripped the team in Wayne Hyzeinga style. And the Mavs haven't recovered yet.

This last year has been the only time where they look like they are **trying** to get some assets. Drafting Anderson, signing Matthews, keeping Powell, etc.

Kind of lazy to blame it on the summer of 11 though.

We built a nice team in 14.

We had cap room that summer...we needed to a 3/D guy and a guard. IT and Ariza were sitting there. We also could have still added Aminu.

Last year I wanted us to go after Biymobo. Could have easily had him if we were willing to pay him just a little. But oh no...gotta keep that cap wide open for all those big names.

This is a roster that could easily be sitting on;

IT/Harris/Dirk/Ariza/Crowder/Aminu/Biyombo/Ellis or Matthews (if we still would have gotten him last year)...with space this year and even more the next.

We had the chance to build on that 14 team that was quite good...and Cuban ****ed it all up to chase Parsons.

So...it was all there...and Cuban blew it. Had nothing to do with 11...had everything to do with him and Nellie chasing the wrong guys and not addressing what the team actually needed.

bdreason
07-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Mavs fans should be happy they didn't give Parsons the max.

bdreason
07-01-2016, 04:17 PM
And I think Carlisle is actually hurting the franchise at this point. I swear that guy could make the playoffs with Dirk + D-League players.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Mavs fans should be happy they didn't give Parsons the max.
yes. lets quit overpaying mediocrity. develop young talent and max dirk.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 04:19 PM
And I think Carlisle is actually hurting the franchise at this point. I swear that guy could make the playoffs with Dirk + D-League players.
:oldlol:

wish we had carlisle over avery in 06.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 04:20 PM

haha.

we might find out this season on that one.

i'm torn...i really don't know what i want. watching dirk on a different team would be so hard, but ugh...watching him be this good (assuming he still is) this late in his career and get no help is difficult.

i worry about Dirk if he comes back...i can't imagine his heart will really be in it. he's a true professional and works his ass off, but he's human. i can't imagine he can give it his true all on a team with a very small chance to even make the playoffs.

DoctorP
07-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Dirk should leave so they can rebuild and he can win.

DirkNowitzki41
07-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Mavs gonna mav. Literally the last 4-5 years have been the exact same.

Fail to get big fish A, fail to get big fish B, then build a mediocre but respectable squad that somehow gets the 8th seed, get bounced out of the first round, and repeat.

DirkNowitzki41
07-01-2016, 04:22 PM

True. Dirk and Carlisle will always find a way to sneak into the playoffs.

SupermanOnSteroids

Fail to get big fish A, fail to get big fish B, then build a mediocre but respectable squad that somehow gets the 8th seed, get bounced out of the first round, and repeat.
remember monta ellis?

Locked_Up_Tonight
Kind of lazy to blame it on the summer of 11 though.

We built a nice team in 14.

We had cap room that summer...we needed to a 3/D guy and a guard. IT and Ariza were sitting there. We also could have still added Aminu.

Last year I wanted us to go after Biymobo. Could have easily had him if we were willing to pay him just a little. But oh no...gotta keep that cap wide open for all those big names.

This is a roster that could easily be sitting on;

IT/Harris/Dirk/Ariza/Crowder/Aminu/Biyombo/Ellis or Matthews (if we still would have gotten him last year)...with space this year and even more the next.

We had the chance to build on that 14 team that was quite good...and Cuban ****ed it all up to chase Parsons.

So...it was all there...and Cuban blew it. Had nothing to do with 11...had everything to do with him and Nellie chasing the wrong guys and not addressing what the team actually needed.

It is the mentality that has stemmed from 2011. Blowing up the team and continually chasing.

Cuban will continue to do it unless he relinquishes control to someone else who can make better basketball decisions.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM
lol. solomon hill. another player mavs were desperately chasing signs with the Pelicans.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM

From a team building stand point...it's been like that since really the 04 season.

Dirk was just better in the past and capable of doing a lot more carrying teams.

I've tried to explain this before...go back and look at the teams Cuban/Nellie have built in terms of players/coaches since the 04 season.

Nothing is of note...other than 11...and Tyson wasn't even something they were after...he fell into their lap.

They have been so much worse than any casual fan realizes.

DirkNowitzki41
07-01-2016, 04:25 PM
remember monta ellis?

I'm still really salty that we let him walk, but he honestly wasnt an option for the Mavs until Devin Harris had that surgery. We really lucked into him, and then we did him dirty.

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 04:27 PM
It is the mentality that has stemmed from 2011. Blowing up the team and continually chasing.

Cuban will continue to do it unless he relinquishes control to someone else who can make better basketball decisions.

Oh yes...the mentality...yes.

Agree.

My point was just that we could have one of the best rosters in the league with still quite a bit of cap space just making the obvious smart moves for what this team needed.

I think I officially now want Dirk to leave. Just so Cuban looks even dumber in front of everyone when he's trying to act smarter than everyone else that destroys him year after year running a team.

Very few people/teams could have done a worse job putting teams around Dirk with the kind of money he was willing to spend.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Carlisle got the Pacers to the playoffs after the Malice in the Palace.

He is a great coach. Stubborn on some things, but a great coach.

But it isn't Carlisle's fault. He isn't holding the team back. Being a 7th/8th seed isn't going to be any better than being a mid tier lottery team.

Cuban just doesn't value the draft or young assets.

Donnie wanted the Mavs to draft The Greek Freak. Cuban turned that down and drafted Shane Larkin instead because he wanted to use that money to get Dwight Howard.

He drafted Satnam Singh last year and immediately **laughed on the phone** and said: Now there are a billion Mav fans in India.

He doesn't care about the draft. AT ALL.

In fact, Michael Finley got into the draft room this year and changed their whole approach to the way they evaluate talent and look to draft.

DirkNowitzki41
07-01-2016, 04:30 PM
From a team building stand point...it's been like that since really the 04 season.

Dirk was just better in the past and capable of doing a lot more carrying teams.

I've tried to explain this before...go back and look at the teams Cuban/Nellie have built in terms of players/coaches since the 04 season.

Nothing is of note...other than 11...and Tyson wasn't even something they were after...he fell into their lap.

They have been so much worse than any casual fan realizes.

No doubt. I always wonder what Dirk would be able to accomplish in this career if he had casts like other all-time greats..

SupermanOnSteroids
07-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Mavs also pursued dellavadova and he's gone to the bucks.

o lawd.

its all crashing down.