PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone scared of GSW? They'll have 6+ D-Leaguers.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
They have 4 max-type players, sure. And...Livingston, he's good. And Iggy, good too. ...and 6-9 D-Leaguers?

You need depth in the NBA. In the WC Finals, when those 4 All-Stars are either not clicking or tired, etc, what D-leaguers are gonna keep them in games vs the Spurs or Clippers?

Shit, Kerr may have to put out 5 D-leaguers on the court at times during regular season to rest up his real players.

I still think GSW is the safe pick, but they aren't the shoe-in apocalypse team I think everyone thinks they are.

VengefulAngel
07-04-2016, 01:02 PM
You don't understand they only have to unload Bogut and not sign Barnes.

Collie
07-04-2016, 01:04 PM
They'll probably have to resort to a mix of minimum vets and young players. What will hinder them is that most teams will probably not want to deal with them for a while. They might need to grab guys like Kendrick Perkins, Sacre for minimum deals. Their center slot will be their biggest problem. Iggy and Livingston should be enough depth along with a few young guys.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:05 PM
You don't understand they only have to unload Bogut and not sign Barnes.
They can still afford Rush, Barbosa, Speights, and Clark? Ezeli obviously is gone. But I mean sincere question? Teams wont offer those guys more $$?

They'll probably have to resort to a mix of minimum vets and young players. What will hinder them is that most teams will probably not want to deal with them for a while. They might need to grab guys like Kendrick Perkins, Farmar, Sacre for minimum deals.
I'm hoping for David West and Steve Blake, if that's the case.

HoopSuperstar
07-04-2016, 01:06 PM
They got their only finals MVP come off the bench!!!

VengefulAngel
07-04-2016, 01:07 PM
They can still afford Rush, Barbosa, Speights, and Clark? Ezeli obviously is gone. But I mean sincere question? Teams wont offer those guys more $$?

They can fill out the team with mid-level exceptions it was important to have Livingston and Iggy signed already.

ArbitraryWater
07-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Who cares about Rush/Barbosa/Speights/Clark? Lol

They have Curry/Klay/KD/Iggy/Green/Livingston...

bigkingsfan
07-04-2016, 01:09 PM
They won't be hurt until Curry extends.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Who cares about Rush/Barbosa/Speights/Clark? Lol

They have Curry/Klay/KD/Iggy/Green/Livingston...
We've seen All-Star mercenary teams (LAL multiple times, 80s Sixers, Rockets post-titles) not win titles before. Though to be fair, those All-Stars were past their prime, except possibly the Dwight-Nash LAL team. Still need depth. All-Stars cant play 44mpg and win titles all the time.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:11 PM
They'll have plenty of ring-chasers lining up with their hands out.

It depends how far into the luxury tax their owner is willing to go. They could bring back Barbosa and Ezeli, add a few bargain basement free agents, but no matter what they'll be absolutely stacked.

Curry
Thompson
Green
Durant
Iguodala
Ezeli
Barbosa
Livingston
Varejao
Damian Jones
Kevon Looney
Speights

Add a couple of veteran minimum guys who want a title and they'll be fine.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Curry
Thompson
Green
Durant
Iguodala
Ezeli
Barbosa
Livingston
Varejao
Damian Jones
Kevon Looney
Speights

Those bolded guys aren't under contract, and got their rings (except Varejao). I'm sure teams will offer more than what GSW can afford (except maybe Varejao).

HoopSuperstar
07-04-2016, 01:16 PM
3 Currents All-Stars, finals MVP and now 2 prime MVP's the last three. Remember D. Green missed one game of the finals and the guy Durant replaces H.Barnes disappeared in the finals.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Those bolded guys aren't under contract. I'm sure teams will offer more than what GSW can afford (except maybe for Varejao).

Depends how far their owner wants to go into the luxury tax. They could bring all of those guys back for at least a year.

LBJ 23
07-04-2016, 01:20 PM
OP, people don't realize how right you are. Last year I would swap KD for GSW depth/bench in a heartbeat. In the future other will realize this too.

GOBB
07-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Well considering I'm sure there will be free agents willin to take the minimum to ride the wave? The 6+ D Leaguer notion is a stretch.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 01:23 PM
They'll have plenty of ring-chasers lining up with their hands out.

It depends how far into the luxury tax their owner is willing to go. They could bring back Barbosa and Ezeli, add a few bargain basement free agents, but no matter what they'll be absolutely stacked.

Curry
Thompson
Green
Durant
Iguodala
Ezeli
Barbosa
Livingston
Varejao
Damian Jones
Kevon Looney
Speights

Add a couple of veteran minimum guys who want a title and they'll be fine.

Bogut is gone. Ezeli is reported gone. Speights is as good as gone bc he will get a big raise. They really wont have any one.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Depends how far their owner wants to go into the luxury tax. They could bring all of those guys back for at least a year.
Well, the crazy thing is, I wouldn't doubt if Kerr/Myers tell Lacob/ownership "it's cool, we got this." Myers is a great scout/talent assess-er. Kerr is a great coach. They can probably do well w/ D-Leaguers making up the majority of the bench.

Collie
07-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Bogut is gone. Ezeli is reported gone. Speights is as good as gone bc he will get a big raise. They really wont have any one.

Well, they have their rookie center. Guy couldn't be worse than Joel Anthony at least.

Big shoes to fill for the guy though.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Well, they have their rookie center. Guy couldn't be worse than Joel Anthony at least.

Big shoes to fill for the guy though.

who is the rookie center? guess they will sign Varejao but he will likely get injured under any work load. I don't see them winning this year.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, Jones has potential.

Like i said, GSW still looks like favorites. I just don't think they're an 80-2 team who'll sweep every series in the playoffs. I dont even think they'll win 70 games. And may have some tough match ups later in the playoffs. their roster is this as of right now, assuming Bogut is gone:

D Jones
Draymond
KD
Klay
Steph
-------
Looney
Iggy
McCaw
Livingston

That's w/ pretty much 0 cap space.

Just those 9 guys are good enough for 55 W's, yeah. But will they be exhausted in playoffs? If they get vets for minimum, will those vets be HINDRANCES instead of contributing? etc etc. I really want them to get David West and Steve Blake, then a buncha D-leaguers. That roster could still win a title, imo.

Collie
07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
who is the rookie center? guess they will sign Varejao but he will likely get injured under any work load. I don't see them winning this year.

Damian Jones, 30th pick in the draft. He's a 7 footer, but I don't know if he's good or not. They can probably pick up a minimum vet like Kendrick Perkins or Chris Andersen to have a committee at center.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Bogut is gone. As far as everyone else, it depends how much the owner is willing to go into the luxury tax. They can go above the cap to pay Ezeli because he is their own free agent, so if they are willing to spend the $$$$, they can hold on to all of those guys.

veilside23
07-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Watch they get whiteside :D

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Damian Jones, 30th pick in the draft. He's a 7 footer, but I don't know if he's good or not. They can probably pick up a minimum vet like Kendrick Perkins or Chris Andersen to have a committee at center.

Jason Terry, some other guys that will be happy to come along for the ride.

NuggetsFan
07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
The fit. Durant isn't a ridiculously ball dominant player. He can come off screens, move without the ball. He fits into what GS is doing. When LeBron/Wade teamed up they were basically the same player. Both needed the ball the entire time there first year. Curry/Durant play off eachother perfectly. How Durant fits on the Warriors is what scares me. It's not just tossing talent in a bottle and shaking it.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-04-2016, 01:36 PM
The fit. Durant isn't a ridiculously ball dominant player. He can come off screens, move without the ball. He fits into what GS is doing. When LeBron/Wade teamed up they were basically the same player. Both needed the ball the entire time there first year. Curry/Durant play off eachother perfectly. How Durant fits on the Warriors is what scares me. It's not just tossing talent in a bottle and shaking it.
All true.

Plus, if Kerr is smart, he can rotate it (even w/ D-Leaguers) to where KD and Steph are both well-rested before 4th qtrs.

But unless they get a solid, contributing bench, I'm still a bit wary on the playoffs. Even tho rotations tighten up, benches are still important.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Bogut is gone. As far as everyone else, it depends how much the owner is willing to go into the luxury tax. They can go above the cap to pay Ezeli because he is their own free agent, so if they are willing to spend the $$$$, they can hold on to all of those guys.

Stein reported they arent keeping Festus. So he is most likely gone. I'm pretty sure they arent going to pay Speights 10 million a year.

I just don't think they are going to get these guys on a bargain with all this money being thrown around out there. They already have a title and they are at the end of their careers. It just wouldn't make sense for some of them.

Other teams will be able to compete with them in the playoffs when teams get more physical, at least until they are able to add some more talent around them. I don't see it happening this year, but next year they will have the additional talent imo.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if eventually GSW trade Klay Thompson is they get bullied two more times in the playoffs.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Stein reported they arent keeping Festus. So he is most likely gone. I'm pretty sure they arent going to pay Speights 10 million a year.

I just don't think they are going to get these guys on a bargain with all this money being thrown around out there. They already have a title and they are at the end of their careers. It just wouldn't make sense for some of them.

Other teams will be able to compete with them in the playoffs when teams get more physical, at least until they are able to add some more talent around them. I don't see it happening this year, but next year they will have the additional talent imo.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if eventually GSW trade Klay Thompson is they get bullied two more times in the playoffs.

Once again, I just don't see it being an issue. They'll have guys lining up to join what is the biggest NBA title favorite in the past 20 years.

Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA)
17 mins ago - View on Twitter
A number of free agents are expressing interest in joining the Warriors on a veteran minimum contract to fill out the star-studded roster.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Once again, I just don't see it being an issue. They'll have guys lining up to join what is the biggest NBA title favorite in the past 20 years.

who?? who is left?

all i see:

Nene
Jordan Hill
Donetas (Houston)
Dirk
Kendrick Perkins
Prince
Brandon Rush
Scola
Sessions
Marcus Thronton
Varejoa
Sasha V
Dorrell Wright

There just isn't much left out there right now....

Collie
07-04-2016, 01:50 PM
We can argue all we want about "depth" or "size", but at the end of the day, when you get a chance to grab a top 5 player in the league without giving up any of your own stars, you do it. You don't really want to be the team that turned down Durant because of Barnes, Ezeli and Bogut.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 01:54 PM
who?? who is left?

Look around in FA, a team with Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green and Iguodala doesn't need a whole lot. They need a veteran center, a power forward and a shooting guard off the bench, you're making it sound like they need some starters. Its not like Barbosa and Speights were in-demand players at the time that the Warriors brought them in.

They have some young players in Jones, Looney and McCaw as well.

There will be guys who will be happy to play for the minimum for a year to get a ring, just as there were guys happy to follow LeBron around. I think David West is a real possibility for them. He took a huge paycut to try and get a ring with San Antonio. His odds with Golden State would be even better.

SexSymbol
07-04-2016, 01:56 PM
They have 4 max-type players, sure. And...Livingston, he's good. And Iggy, good too. ...and 6-9 D-Leaguers?

You need depth in the NBA. In the WC Finals, when those 4 All-Stars are either not clicking or tired, etc, what D-leaguers are gonna keep them in games vs the Spurs or Clippers?

Shit, Kerr may have to put out 5 D-leaguers on the court at times during regular season to rest up his real players.

I still think GSW is the safe pick, but they aren't the shoe-in apocalypse team I think everyone thinks they are.
yeaaah, i doubt anyone would count on that having 3 GOAT shooters on one team.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Look around in FA, a team with Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green and Iguodala doesn't need a whole lot. They need a veteran center, a power forward and a shooting guard off the bench, you're making it sound like they need some starters. Its not like Barbosa and Speights were in-demand players at the time that the Warriors brought them in.

They have some young players in Jones, Looney and McCaw as well.

There will be guys who will be happy to play for the minimum for a year to get a ring, just as there were guys happy to follow LeBron around. I think David West is a real possibility for them. He took a huge paycut to try and get a ring with San Antonio. His odds with Golden State would be even better.

I don't see many options in free agency. Starting Jordan Hill or Donatas just isnt going to get it done. They will win titles, but not next year. They will be to small and will have growing pains.

veilside23
07-04-2016, 01:59 PM
apparently tayshaun prince once another ring :D

josh smith too

DaSeba5
07-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Nah they are going to in the Finals every year. The NBA is basically over for anyone who wants to see their team be competitive for a title.

SexSymbol
07-04-2016, 02:02 PM
besides, everyone will want to play for them for nothing.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't see many options in free agency. Starting Jordan Hill or Donatas just isnt going to get it done. They will win titles, but not next year. They will be to small and will have growing pains.

LOL. Other than injury issues, nobody is beating them next year. When you can roll out Durant and Curry and have Thompson and Green on the bench or vice versa, no team is winning 4 games against that in a 7 game series.

Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green, Iguodala, nobody can shut down all of those guys. Basically pick your poison, someone is going to light you up and they have a lot of length and athleticism on the defensive end as well. What they really need is a veteran center that can protect the rim a bit and a vet power forward such as West who can give them a few minutes to get away from the small ball lineups.

As far as options go, David West, Jason Terry, Josh Smith, Kendrick Perkins, all are options for them as bench guys.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 02:03 PM
LOL. Other than injury issues, nobody is beating them next year. When you can roll out Durant and Curry and have Thompson and Green on the bench or vice versa, no team is winning 4 games against that in a 7 game series.

Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green, Iguodala, nobody can shut down all of those guys. Basically pick your poison, someone is going to light you up and they have a lot of length and athleticism on the defensive end as well. What they really need is a veteran center that can protect the rim a bit and a vet power forward such as West who can give them a few minutes to get away from the small ball lineups.

We'll see. I don't see them winning next year. I also don't see them getting a starting quality center.

all the guys you listed besides West don't fit into how GSW won 73 games last year. Its just going to be a totally different team. I'm not even sure how they are going to play...its a lot of things they have to figure out.

ArbitraryWater
07-04-2016, 02:03 PM
OP, the '11 Heat had CORPSES outside of the Big 3, and they were a Bron choke away from a relatively easy title.

IGOTGAME
07-04-2016, 02:06 PM
OP, the '11 Heat had CORPSES outside of the Big 3, and they were a Bron choke away from a relatively easy title.

but they lost to a team with much less talent. that is a very good example.

ReturnofJPR
07-04-2016, 02:06 PM

As far as options go, David West, Jason Terry, Josh Smith, Kendrick Perkins, all are options for them as bench guys.

Andre Iglodala is breaking down and is is old now. We are talking about the Philadelphia Sixers franchise player back when Philly actually had one! And they've sucked for how many years? Exactly. Iglodala only has 1 or 2 more years left and is breaking down due to the ridiculous minutes he has played his entire career. Especially, from his Philly days...

The Warriors can't stop anyone from driving the lane and getting to the free throw line.

wang4three
07-04-2016, 02:07 PM
There should be enough past-prime decent players looking to ring chase. Players like Kevin Martin, Udonis Haslem, Nene and David West...

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Andre Iglodala is breaking down and is is old now. We are talking about the Philadelphia Sixers franchise player back when Philly actually had one! And they've sucked for how many years? Exactly. Iglodala only has 1 or 2 more years left and is breaking down due to the ridiculous minutes he has played his entire career. Especially, from his Philly days...

The Warriors can't stop anyone from driving the lane and getting to the free throw line.

Iguodala is basically their 6th man. And Durant is an upgrade to Barnes in every way possible. Also its being reported by Bay Area media that Barbosa will return to the Warriors.

I think the Warriors will get the bench situation worked out fine.

Collie
07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
but they lost to a team with much less talent. that is a very good example.

That Miami team is not as good as this GSW team.

PejaNowitzki
07-04-2016, 02:14 PM
There should be enough past-prime decent players looking to ring chase. Players like Kevin Martin, Udonis Haslem, Nene and David West...

Kevin Martin is one that came to mind. West is another. Jason Terry....etc.

tpols
07-04-2016, 02:15 PM
is birdman a FA? he was the solution to the first collusions hole at C.. he can be the second solution here

BallsOut
07-04-2016, 02:23 PM
who?? who is left?

all i see:

Nene
Jordan Hill
Donetas (Houston)
Dirk
Kendrick Perkins
Prince
Brandon Rush
Scola
Sessions
Marcus Thronton
Varejoa
Sasha V
Dorrell Wright

There just isn't much left out there right now....

David West, Nene Hilario and David Lee should sign with the Warriors. They can help reduce the lost of Bogut/Ezeli in their frontcourt rotation.

Curry | Livingston
Thompson | Barbosa
Durant | Iguodala
Green | West | Jones
Nene | McAdoo | Lee

:bowdown: