PDA

View Full Version : Why is it we ask teams to get the best players but...

iamgine
07-04-2016, 08:36 PM
...we don't like it when the best players pick the best teams.

Bernkastel
07-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Teams acquiring the best players usually involves some kind of maneuvering and acquiring from management. As you can see from the KD saga, it's hard to get yourself in a good position to compete for someone, let alone actually acquiring the desired piece. The team almost never has complete control of the situation; they can't guarantee that they can get these players, so when a team can get players through trading and signing it becomes impressive.

Basically, it usually requires more work.

On the other hand, players getting together takes almost no skill other than finding a team with enough cap space. You come together, look for a team, and that's it.

No one is faulting the Warriors for picking up KD. No one would fault KD for going to another team. People are faulting KD for going to the Warriors after they beat him when he was up 3-1 in the playoffs this year. And that's all there is to say on the matter.

shadow
07-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Had he gone to SAS he wouldn't be catching so much flak imo. SAS are a solid contender too and KD would have put them over the top again.

J Shuttlesworth
07-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Had he gone to SAS he wouldn't be catching so much flak imo. SAS are a solid contender too and KD would have put them over the top again.
This. Different circumstances. Joining 3 allnba/allstar players who won 73 games, a title, and back to back finals... I don't think most people would be mad if he joined the Spurs or Celtics.

jayfan
07-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Sports is about competition and competitive spirit. With this move, Durant announced to the world that he has none.

Spurs m8
07-04-2016, 09:02 PM
...we don't like it when the best players pick the best teams.

Are you that stupid? Really?

HoopSuperstar
07-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Not even Hortford took the easy road. Some players have dignity. Durant got scared cause of Jerry West words that he would be hunted forever if he didn't win the title.

artificial
07-04-2016, 09:19 PM
I like the Warriors, and really like Durant. And even then (or maybe because of that) I can understand the controversy... A good player that goes from a team that hasn't helped him/her much to a good-great team, everyone will understand. From a good team to another good team? People will start to question why even moving instead of staying and making things better.

Now when players that on their own seem capable of making a difference go to already great teams... I don't know, it's suddenly feels like cheat mode, and for some people it's just harder to root for that. For instance: they are just too prone to bandwagonners, and I admittedly don't want to be taken for one.

I personally have never liked "super teams". Loved to root against the Lakers when they got Payton and Malone -despite them being well past their primes-. Rooted against Miami. Now... I like GS and KD, and I am confused to say the least.

iamgine
07-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Sports is about competition and competitive spirit. With this move, Durant announced to the world that he has none.
What about the GSW though. Shouldn't people also say, "man this team is already stacked...how dare they go after another superstar, what a beta team. Why didn't Steph Curry or Steve Kerr oppose this? Clearly this is a team and players with no competitive spirit."