PDA

View Full Version : True or False: Durant can never be ranked above Kobe, Duncan or Dirk

IGOTGAME
07-05-2016, 02:59 PM
They are stuck in the tier below with Barkley and David Robinson.

feyki
07-05-2016, 03:01 PM
It's about career . With OP's logic Lebron can't be in the same tier as Dirk . But it's about individual career .

IGOTGAME
07-05-2016, 03:03 PM
It's about career . With OP's logic Lebron can't be in the same tier as Dirk . But it's about individual career .

you have assumed a lot about my reasoning. Curry wasn't meant to be in the inital OP, phone sent before I was done.

Durant has done no more han Malone or Barkley or Robinson.

DMAVS41
False.

Too many things could happen.

Just look at the Heat with Lebron. Wade/Bosh severely declined or were injured in their runs...and Lebron gets more credit based on that.

If Curry or Durant were to be injured...etc...or just something changes...they could be in a similar situation to Lebron.

Having said...for Durant...I'm going to have a tough time ever taking him over a loyal championship first option franchise player that stuck with his team/fans through the good times and bad times...while having one of the best rosters in the league.

It is one thing to leave a bad situation...it is another to leave a loaded roster with an in prime top 5 player in the league at your side.

Anything could happen, but when I evaluate guys the ultimate question I ask is;

Which player would I draft to start my franchise knowing how their level of play / impact...and how their career turned out.

So now with Durant...you have to factor in the high probability that he leaves you in the heart of his prime...even if you build a championship contender around him with a top 5 running mate.

That will be very hard to overlook.

That is just me though...and goes more into my rankings than the standard rankings.

Magic 32
False.

If you win, the american public and sports journalists will find a way to worship you.

SilkkTheShocker
07-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Kobe's lack of impact on team basketball is really hard to ignore. He only wins when he has the best frontcourt in the league. And never lead a team to a series win as the underdog. Either his teams are clear favorites, or get their wheels blown off. Very unimpressive player in elimination games. All the players mentioned above clearly made their teams better. Kobe? Not so much.

IGOTGAME
07-05-2016, 03:07 PM
False.

Too many things could happen.

Just look at the Heat with Lebron. Wade/Bosh severely declined or were injured in their runs...and Lebron gets more credit based on that.

If Curry or Durant were to be injured...etc...or just something changes...they could be in a similar situation to Lebron.

Having said...for Durant...I'm going to have a tough time ever taking him over a loyal championship first option franchise player that stuck with his team/fans through the good times and bad times...while having one of the best rosters in the league.

It is one thing to leave a bad situation...it is another to leave a loaded roster with an in prime top 5 player in the league at your side.

Anything could happen, but when I evaluate guys the ultimate question I ask is;

Which player would I draft to start my franchise knowing how their level of play / impact...and how their career turned out.

So now with Durant...you have to factor in the high probability that he leaves you in the heart of his prime...even if you build a championship contender around him with a top 5 running mate.

That will be very hard to overlook.

That is just me though...and goes more into my rankings than the standard rankings.

We also don't know if he is capable of carrying the load Kobe/Duncan/Dirk showed they could carry...that is a big question to me

Magic 32
07-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Kobe's lack of impact on team basketball is really hard to ignore.

True. Nobody wanted to follow his lead and build teams from the ground up. They all want to copy Lebron now.

He only wins when he has the best frontcourt in the league.

https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/andrew-bynum-big-lebowski.gif

And never lead a team to a series win as the underdog. Either his teams are clear favorites, or get their wheels blown off.

True. He should have teabagged more.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/nba-does-cynical-lebron-james-bidding-suspends-draymond-green/

DMAVS41
07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
We also don't know if he is capable of carrying the load Kobe/Duncan/Dirk showed they could carry...that is a big question to me

Yea...but too many crazy things can happen to say it is impossible.

If Durant wins 3 rings with the Warriors and 2 finals mvps....then Curry leaves or Durant leaves.

And Durant wins another ring or two and another finals MVP at age 35?

Thinks will get murky on this shit.

All I can say is that the way I do rankings...Durant jumping ship on his franchise in the heart of his prime with a loaded supporting cast most likely prevents him from ever being ahead of the guys you mention.

Because ultimately my rankings are about which player you'd draft to start a franchise. And Durant just fell way down on my list because you wouldn't draft a guy knowing there is a high chance he leaves you even if you build a great team around him.

Again though...that is just me.

IGOTGAME
07-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Yea...but too many crazy things can happen to say it is impossible.

If Durant wins 3 rings with the Warriors and 2 finals mvps....then Curry leaves or Durant leaves.

And Durant wins another ring or two and another finals MVP at age 35?

Thinks will get murky on this shit.

All I can say is that the way I do rankings...Durant jumping ship on his franchise in the heart of his prime with a loaded supporting cast most likely prevents him from ever being ahead of the guys you mention.

Because ultimately my rankings are about which player you'd draft to start a franchise. And Durant just fell way down on my list because you wouldn't draft a guy knowing there is a high chance he leaves you even if you build a great team around him.

Again though...that is just me.

that all makes sense and I would factor it in as well. With the question, I was assuming they play the rest of their careers together (Curry, Durant, Klay Draymond)

DMAVS41
07-05-2016, 03:17 PM
that all makes sense and I would factor it in as well. With the question, I was assuming they play the rest of their careers together (Curry, Durant, Klay Draymond)

Duncan? For sure...I think he's easily the best player out of the group mentioned.

Dirk, Kobe, Durant, and Curry are all on a similar tier in terms of impact for me strictly going off of level of play and basketball ability.

So it is a bit harder to put a ceiling on someone without knowing what would happen.

Durant loses points for the jump, but not enough to say he can't do something special. It is still about how good these guys are at basketball.

feyki
07-05-2016, 03:18 PM
you have assumed a lot about my reasoning. Curry wasn't meant to be in the inital OP, phone sent before I was done.

Durant has done no more han Malone or Barkley or Robinson.

Done for what ? I don't think team and individual accomplishments changes anything . Look at Elgin Baylor , he's one of the greatests for me :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
07-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Duncan? For sure...I think he's easily the best player out of the group mentioned.

Dirk, Kobe, Durant, and Curry are all on a similar tier in terms of impact for me strictly going off of level of play and basketball ability.

So it is a bit harder to put a ceiling on someone without knowing what would happen.

Durant loses points for the jump, but not enough to say he can't do something special. It is still about how good these guys are at basketball.

he also lost points in my book for crumbling a few times. I don't know if he could stop from crumbling under loads the others have carried. Same with Curry, he hasn't really shown he can handle the wordkload in the playoffs. I don't know if he would crumble again either. I can't just give the benefit of the doubt, you gotta show me.

ArbitraryWater
07-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Duncan is out of the question anyway, but largely, I agree...

He'd have to do some heroic shit now, but frankly, how is he even gonna have the chance to display at? :confusedshrug:

How will he prove he can overcome adversity? Play at top 15 level in the face of resistance? Rally a comeback in the 4th quarter of a crucial playoff game? Dominate a game 7 on the road?

How will he be able to prove any of these things? I definitely wont give him the benefit of the doubt given that he hasnt done these things so far outside of 2012...

He'll putt up nice stats on resistance free paths, free rings...

playing on teams that wouldnt even need him to win....

its just hard given that environment, to catapult yourself over the likes of Kobe, or Dirk, who have done greater things, would suceed in this circumstance as well, but never think of making the move because they have an ounce of integrity and self respect in them.