PDA

View Full Version : And the beat goes on... Iron Man is going to be a black woman

Bourne
07-07-2016, 05:37 PM
In the comics.

What a laugh.

The writer even pretended this came 'naturally' and not because of social justice, progressivism, and the dislike for white cisgendered males. Comic books were the whitest things EVER but now are getting appropriated harder than Lebron's hair.

When do they stop calling the character Iron Man?

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 05:49 PM
This is the new trend and business wise it makes sense. Marvel has consciously been creating female heroes that are easy to cosplay. Hawkeye, Thor and now Iron Man all have a female version that is called the same as the male version.

They also are creating new heroes like Spider Gwen and redesigned Spider Girl to have a costume that is easy for girls to cosplay at conventions.

Tony Stark isn't going anywhere, or if he does, he will be back within a year.

Previously comics only were targeting 40 year old men, now they are trying to target young women. The way to do this has been creating young, sassy female heroes that are walking demographic check box cliches.

I could be wrong but I believe this strategy has been effective for them. It doesn't matter how shit the comics are because the comics aren't their real moneymakers. They get most of their money from licensing and merchandise. Creating new heroes like this new 15 year old girl Iron Man means more potential merchandise to sell to a new market.

The strategy might not pay off but that is why Marvel is doing what they do, I'm pretty sure it is making them a lot of money.

PLUS everytime they do stunts like this it iss new PR that temporarily boosts sales.

Bourne
07-07-2016, 06:03 PM
This is the new trend and business wise it makes sense. Marvel has consciously been creating female heroes that are easy to cosplay. Hawkeye, Thor and now Iron Man all have a female version that is called the same as the male version.

They also are creating new heroes like Spider Gwen and redesigned Spider Girl to have a costume that is easy for girls to cosplay at conventions.

Tony Stark isn't going anywhere, or if he does, he will be back within a year.

Previously comics only were targeting 40 year old men, now they are trying to target young women. The way to do this has been creating young, sassy female heroes that are walking demographic check box cliches.

I could be wrong but I believe this strategy has been effective for them. It doesn't matter how shit the comics are because the comics aren't their real moneymakers. They get most of their money from licensing and merchandise. Creating new heroes like this new 15 year old girl Iron Man means more potential merchandise to sell to a new market.

The strategy might not pay off but that is why Marvel is doing what they do, I'm pretty sure it is making them a lot of money.

PLUS everytime they do stunts like this it iss new PR that temporarily boosts sales.

So you are saying this was done for business purposes, not social purposes? Marvel (Disney) being a profit-seeking business means yes, obviously, but I hate how pandering to social progressivism is the way to go. And as a fan of comics, who wants characters to stay true to who they are, I don't appreciate it.

UK2K
07-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Hear Bruce Jenner is going out for the part of Wonder Woman.

He better ****ing get it too, because the only reason he wouldnt is... sexism. That's the only possible explanation.

Bourne
07-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Hear Bruce Jenner is going out for the part of Wonder Woman.

He better ****ing get it too, because the only reason he wouldnt is... sexism. That's the only possible explanation.

http://www.teachhub.com/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/imce/images/dark_haired_woman_in_pink_shirt_reading_red_book.j pg

Ah yes, here we are... according to this handbook, the page on the left, you are either a bigot or a transphobe. I hope I'm pronouncing those correctly.

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 06:41 PM
So you are saying this was done for business purposes, not social purposes? Marvel (Disney) being a profit-seeking business means yes, obviously, but I hate how pandering to social progressivism is the way to go. And as a fan of comics, who wants characters to stay true to who they are, I don't appreciate it.
It is definitely primarily a business decision. Marketers have realized that women are responsible for 70% of spending in the world. Market research in every field says appeal to women.

Appealing to women and expanding the audience compared to just targeting old men is a wise business decision. Research shows that women spend their money more freely than men do which is why every business is trying to appeal to them these days.

This is nothing but a gimmick, just like Captain America "dying" a few years ago was, just like Thor becoming a woman was.

The female Hawkeye Kate Bishop is actually a great character, at least when Matt Fraction writes her.

The other new characters have been pretty shit, especially female Thor.

It is not about the art and story and staying true to the characters anymore. If you want that, try Image or Boom or other indie comics.

All of the best artists and writers are switching to independent comics where they have full control of their property.

Brian Michael Bendis and Dan Slott are not good writers. They are shit. The good writers and creators are making their own IPs. All that is left in Marvel is fan boys and company men who will do whatever their editor tells them even if it compromises their vision.

Marvel also was doubling down on targeting the SJW crowd but so far that has not been paying off for them very well-it turns out many of these social justice warriors who whine the loudest don't actually buy the comics they are whining about, even when the editorial team does everything possible to appease them.

The lack of book sales doesn't really matter because the movies and merch are making them so much money.

TL;DR, yes, this was an entirely business motivated decision, influenced by modern trends in market research.

sammichoffate
07-07-2016, 06:42 PM
http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/iron-man-44-1428067708.gif

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 06:49 PM
This is actual unedited dialogue from a recent Thor comic. Read at your own risk. (https://imgur.com/a/Adnid)

Dresta
07-07-2016, 07:01 PM
This is actual unedited dialogue from a recent Thor comic. Read at your own risk. (https://imgur.com/a/Adnid)
hahaa, is that seriously real?

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 07:04 PM
hahaa, is that seriously real?
Yes.

Here is a lovely exert from Angela: Agent of Asgard, also completely real and unedited.

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_00631-600x555.jpg

I never read super hero comics apart from Frank Miller so I don't really care that Marvel is shit now. Loads of great comics are still being made, just not by Marvel or DC.

warriorfan
07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
comic books are for f ags so that is why they put f ag stuff in them

DonDadda59
07-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Damn, White dudes can't even have a monopoly on pretend comic book heroes any more. What is the World coming to?

I blame immigrants for this, as always. :mad:

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Damn, White dudes can't even have a monopoly on pretend comic book heroes any more. What is the World coming to?

This character has potential to be good and also potential to be horrible. Bendis is writing her so chances are she will be shit but hopefully a new writer comes along and does her justice.

I'm not going to read it anyways so don't care, but I personally don't mind Marvel doing this, even though it leads to shitty comics.

poido123
07-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Don't act like this doesn't please you to the core.

You want a black America, it's clear in all of your posts. Just so you know, all the bullshit that you enjoy in life like your acting career is because of the white man and if you think that african americans running shit in America will make it better, you are wrong.

Anywhere you look in the world, black governments are corrupt and incompetent. Fact.

It's one thing to blame the whiteys for fcked up shit, but let's see african americans create shit for themselves and see what happens.

TheMan
07-07-2016, 07:33 PM
:biggums: It's a fuccing comic, who cares!!!

TheMan
07-07-2016, 07:35 PM

You want a black America, it's clear in all of your posts. Just so you know, all the bullshit that you enjoy in life like your acting career is because of the white man and if you think that african americans running shit in America will make it better, you are wrong.

Anywhere you look in the world, black governments are corrupt and incompetent. Fact.

It's one thing to blame the whiteys for fcked up shit, but let's see african americans create shit for themselves and see what happens.
The Soviet Union fell because they started to elect black dudes...if only they kept electing native white Russians, they'd still be around...SMH

DonDadda59
07-07-2016, 07:42 PM

Dudes melting down over figments of someone's imagination now :yaohappy:

poido123
07-07-2016, 07:48 PM
The Soviet Union fell because they started to elect black dudes...if only they kept electing native white Russians, they'd still be around...SMH

Look I'm not at all interested in the race war thing. Just that DonDadda pushes the narrative so much, that I get fustrated and point those things out to him.

What you said takes nothing away from the facts. Black governments don't perform so well and you look at the successful governments around the world and they are predominantly white.

sammichoffate
07-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Look I'm not at all interested in the race war thing. Just that DonDadda pushes the narrative so much, that I get fustrated and point those things out to him.

What you said takes nothing away from the facts. Black governments don't perform so well and you look at the successful governments around the world and they are predominantly white.http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/12/02/chadwick-boseman-as-black-panther.jpg

Doomsday Dallas
07-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Because in all honesty...

The Black Woman... is the real quote on quote "White Prize"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1f/d2/f6/1fd2f681ba1c29f526de77e02a1d064f.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/28/dd/2b/28dd2bb3f38b158f1a640499b43d37ed.jpg

DonDadda59
07-07-2016, 08:18 PM

What you said takes nothing away from the facts. Black governments don't perform so well and you look at the successful governments around the world and they are predominantly white.

:lol

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-chit-chat/613970d1313172114-way-go-oklahoma-obama-you-mad.jpg

Stay Mad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYXkvDNj0U) :cheers:

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 08:24 PM

dawg, don't be racist

poido123
07-07-2016, 08:36 PM
dawg, don't be racist

It's observation.

How is that racist?

Black players tend to play basketball better than whites, is that racist too?

9erempiree
07-07-2016, 08:37 PM

I have to disagree with this post.

There is no acting career.

DonDadda59
07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
I have to disagree with this post.

There is no acting career.

How much longer will you be in the 'bulking phase' of your fitness plan? :lol

ILLsmak
07-07-2016, 10:47 PM

haha.

It's only sad cuz people are buying it. The decline of art continues.

-Smak

Nick Young
07-07-2016, 11:33 PM
haha.

It's only sad cuz people are buying it. The decline of art continues.

-Smak
People aren't buying it. Sales of new Thor are shit.

bdreason
07-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Who cares?

These companies are just smart and giving their consumers something new. I think a black, female Ironman will be cool.

Nick Young
07-08-2016, 12:10 AM
lol relevant article

Readers Are Abandoning Marvel Comics After Social Justice Invasion. Can You Blame Them?

“Thor? Are you kidding me? I’m supposed to call you Thor?” Marvel villain The Absorbing Man yells at the new “female Thor” during a vicious street brawl in an issue published last year. “Damn feminists ruining everything!”

The dialogue mirrored most sane reader’s thoughts during the issue, but we’re not all monsters. We are just loyal, long-time readers who are sick of our favorite characters being butchered by nose-ringed lesbians for the sake of diversity, and at the apparent expense not just of dialogue, story and creativity but also, it now appears, the commercial success of Marvel’s comic books line.

A villain based on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is to appear in “Spider-Gwen Annual #1” this week. The villain, who goes by the name of MODAAK will be seen rounding up “foreign filth”, complete with Mexico jibes, “small hands” jokes, and even Trump’s signature catchphrase “Make America Great Again.”

In one scene, a female Captain America can be seen hitting MODAAK with her [sic] shield before the villain can complete his “Make America Great Again” catchphrase.

Your mileage may vary on Trump disses. Plenty of readers will have smirked along at jokes made at The Donald’s expense. But increasing customer frustration at obscure third-wave feminism preoccupations shoehorning their way into Marvel’s comic books is starting to have an effect on sales. It turns out you can’t bully people into caring about “microaggressions.”

“[A lot of misogynistic filth]”, “[Red Pill MRA Meninist Casual Racism]”, and even “[Unsolicited Opinions on Israel???]” were all speech captions in Angela: Queen of Hel, a Marvel comic that was cancelled after failing to set the world alight earlier this year. The comic started with nearly 40,000 sales on its first issue, but dropped to just below 25,000 on its second.

By the third issue, Angela: Queen of Hel was at just above 20,000 sales, and by the last issue, issue seven, just over 14,000 people bought a copy. That’s right: the comic lost over half of its audience within seven issues.

Is that because the comic industry hates women? Or could it perhaps be because readers don’t appreciate being bludgeoned to death with student politics — and because social justice warriors tend not to put their money where their mouth is.

Marvel isn’t getting the message. Its latest comic book character is — wait for it — a fifteen year-old black female Iron Man. That’s right. Tony Stark, the badass, billionaire playboy businessman who has represented the quintessential white American male since the 1960s is to be replaced by a fifteen year-old black girl with an Afro and hooped earrings.

Other comic book publishers are hardly saints, of course. In an issue of DC’s Wonder Woman last year, the popular female superhero complained about a villain “mansplaining” to her before an ally punched him in the face for the crime. “The lasso compels truth, but it can’t stop mansplaining,” declared Wonder Woman as the “bad guy” had his teeth knocked out of his mouth.

The new social political styles seem a weird choice for publishers who have a predominately apolitical — and disproportionately male — audience, particularly since Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter also donated $1 million to Trump’s U.S. Military Veterans Fundraiser in January.

continued below

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/07/marvel-social-justice-insanity/

Nick Young
07-08-2016, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE]
[SIZE="5"]

oarabbus
07-08-2016, 03:22 AM
lol relevant article

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/07/marvel-social-justice-insanity/

:applause:

The market has spoken. The people are voting with their wallets.

nightprowler10
07-08-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm not on the same boat as theredpill people that think this is some kind of conspiracy to keep the white man down, but I do think I'd rather they create new interesting characters to increase diversity instead of making female counterparts for them. I think Marvel is more guilty of this more often than not. It's just lazy.

Charlie Sheen
07-08-2016, 06:15 PM

:oldlol: Marvel wasn't even trying to be subtle with Kateniss Bishop.

Nick Young
07-08-2016, 06:17 PM
:oldlol: Marvel wasn't even trying to be subtle with Kateniss Bishop.
They weren't subtle at all but she was written well in the Matt Fraction Hawkeye run IMO. That's why I'm not against this 15 year old black iron girl yet. Maybe they will write it good?

I haven't read any of Fraction's other comics but his Hawkeye run was brilliant. It also had the best art in a marvel comic going with David Aja.

The only stupid thing about the new Iron Girl is she's 15. If she was like 18-25, I wouldn't think it was that stupid. But this 15 year old girl is in MIT and already smarter than Tony Stark and duplicated his tech? WTF is that shit. 15 year old girls hardly even know how to stick a tampon in their cooch, how the **** are they getting in to MIT and out-engineering one of the greatest weapons engineer in the Marvel world?

Yes, comics involve people that fly and have super strength, but a 15 year old MIT chick who is the greatest engineer in the world+uses that weapon to defeat crime? It's just too much and too stupid. If she was an adult, ok, I can suspend my belief that much at least.

imdaman99
07-08-2016, 11:30 PM
I don't know what's more hilarious, angry nerds rioting or angry nerds refusing to buy a comic book and throwing a hissy fit about it. "I'M NOT GOING TO BUY MARVEL ANYMORE, THIS IS A REVOLUTION. I'M GOING TO BLOG ABOUT IT ON XANGA" :oldlol:

I say that as someone that has read and enjoyed some comics before so I am part nerd, relax :lol

Nick Young
07-08-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't know what's more hilarious, angry nerds rioting or angry nerds refusing to buy a comic book and throwing a hissy fit about it. "I'M NOT GOING TO BUY MARVEL ANYMORE, THIS IS A REVOLUTION. I'M GOING TO BLOG ABOUT IT ON XANGA" :oldlol:

I say that as someone that has read and enjoyed some comics before so I am part nerd, relax :lol
no one is rioting, and no one is throwing a hissy fit by refusing to buy shitty comics.

The market is reacting, and not purchasing this new style of story Marvel is putting out.

Why so much hyperbole? You are strawmanning like crazy right now dude

Brujesino
07-09-2016, 02:51 AM
I am seriously offended by the lack of mexican superheroes. I dont want a brand new superhero either I want a currently established hero to be remade as mexican.

I want the new black panther to be mexican. I want equality. He will still be the leader of a african nation though.

Nick Young
07-09-2016, 02:53 AM
I am seriously offended by the lack of mexican superheroes. I dont want a brand new superhero either I want a currently established hero to be remade as mexican.

I want the new black panther to be mexican. I want equality. He will still be the leader of a african nation though.
Black panther should have a bunch of adopted white children from war torn Eastern European countries, as well as yes, Little Pablo from Tijuana who is raised as Black Panther's ward and sidekick, who begins life as Puma, the Brown Panther and becomes Jaguar when he levels up and goes out on his own to clean up the streets of San Diego.

Brujesino
07-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Black panther should have a bunch of adopted white children from war torn Eastern European countries, as well as yes, Little Pablo from Tijuana who is raised as Black Panther's ward and sidekick, who begins life as Puma, the Brown Panther and becomes Jaguar when he levels up and goes out on his own to clean up the streets of San Diego.
:applause:

Charlie Sheen
07-09-2016, 03:08 AM
They weren't subtle at all but she was written well in the Matt Fraction Hawkeye run IMO. That's why I'm not against this 15 year old black iron girl yet. Maybe they will write it good?

I haven't read any of Fraction's other comics but his Hawkeye run was brilliant. It also had the best art in a marvel comic going with David Aja.

The only stupid thing about the new Iron Girl is she's 15. If she was like 18-25, I wouldn't think it was that stupid. But this 15 year old girl is in MIT and already smarter than Tony Stark and duplicated his tech? WTF is that shit. 15 year old girls hardly even know how to stick a tampon in their cooch, how the **** are they getting in to MIT and out-engineering one of the greatest weapons engineer in the Marvel world?

Yes, comics involve people that fly and have super strength, but a 15 year old MIT chick who is the greatest engineer in the world+uses that weapon to defeat crime? It's just too much and too stupid. If she was an adult, ok, I can suspend my belief that much at least.

I wanted to hate Miles because it felt cheap and lazy when he was first announced, but his stories turned out to be a lot of fun. That's all I'm looking for out of a comic book.... fun.

StephHamann
07-09-2016, 05:09 AM
comic books are for f ags so that is why they put f ag stuff in them

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT1XGPDVdqIWOX1DTG/giphy.gif

Bandito
07-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I would read this.

rezznor
07-09-2016, 02:44 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/350/0/1/INFIM2016001-cov-107f0.jpg

The famed "Daredevil" and "Scarlet" team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev will collaborate on "Infamous Iron Man," CBR can exclusively confirm, a fall-debuting series starring Victor Von Doom -- best known as iconic supervillain Doctor Doom -- as the new Iron Man. "Infamous Iron Man" will take the place of current series "International Iron Man" in Marvel's publishing schedule, also from Bendis and Maleev.

RELATED: New Hero Armors Up In "Invincible Iron Man" Relaunch From Bendis, Caselli
This move is an extension of storylines in the current Bendis-written "Invincible Iron Man" series, which has seen Von Doom seek rehabilitation, following his physical transformation at the end of the 2015 "Secret Wars" event series. It also raises plenty of questions -- like how will "Infamous Iron Man" interact with Bendis and artist Stefano Caselil's new "Invincible Iron Man" series, announced earlier this week and starring Riri Williams, a new character recently introduced by Bendis and Mike Deodato. "Infamous Iron Man" also pays off part of the Deodato-illustrated "Divided We Stand" teaser, which included Von Doom holding an Iron Man helmet.

Nick Young
07-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Wow this looks bad. The interior art of the new Iron Man comic is just 3-D asset models with the photoshop posterize filter.

This is a cut-rate technique that bad amateur webcomic artists use.

Oh dear. They couldn't even bother to get a real artist for the book. Atleast they won't lose much money if it bombs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnCm4YgWEAQt_2E.jpg

Check out that shitty dialogue as well. Unfortunately this is the norm in Marvel these days :D