PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook Is Underrated

CTbasketball92
07-08-2016, 12:13 PM
I know a lot of people call him top 5, but I feel like people just can't get past the stigma surrounding his style of play. They say it's not productive team basketball, and yet his teams have been to the NBA finals and the WCF twice, nearly every time he and KD were healthy at the same time. Shouldn't their success eliminate that narrative? People always look at where players/teams end up and criticize them for not having something else, but what gets lost is what it took to get to where they ended up in the first place. I'm telling you right now, no pass-first point guard could have brought the thunder to within one game of the NBA Finals. To go far in the playoffs, you either need a very deep, well-rounded team or two or three straight up scoring superstars. Westbrook and KD were in a position where they were the only truly reliable one-on-one scorers on their team, so Westbrook had to chuck a lot of shots. True, his missing jumper did hurt at the end of games, but his relentless attacking flat-out won OKC game one (steals, blocks, hustle plays, defense, that crazy 3rd quarter) and played a huge role in their other two wins as well. He was just a force of nature. Yet people always want him to change his game, even though I don't think we've seen a pass first point guard win a title as the team's best player since ... Isiah? And he was also a great scorer, more like a CP3 style pg

Westbrook is a really good passer, his midrange ball is solid, he can play defense when he locks in and he just makes those energy plays that can save a game. I saw an ESPN article ranking point guards, and one of the journalists said "Westbrook reminds me of Barkley in that he'll leave behind more indelible moments than actual accomplishments," and I felt it was unfair. He's been a scoring champion, made like 4 or 5 all nba teams and put up oscar robertson-esque numbers the last two-three years. I really hope he can win a ring and MVP so people give him the credit he deserves. If he can retain his athleticism for three-four more years, I think he should go down as a top 25 player for sure.

imdaman99
07-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Seems like the Westbrook family grew. Welcome aboard buddy, great post :cheers:

He was always the scapegoat needed for KD to succeed in OKC. Durant is mentally soft, so Westbrook had no problem being the lightning bolt. What an ALPHA :rockon:

bdreason
07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
He's an amazing player... until the final 5 minutes of an important playoff game. He just doesn't understand tempo, time, and score.

BlakFrankWhite
07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Seems like the Westbrook family grew. Welcome aboard buddy, great post :cheers:

He was always the scapegoat needed for KD to succeed in OKC. Durant is mentally soft, so Westbrook had no problem being the lightning bolt. What an ALPHA :rockon:

Lol did you check Westbrook's 4th July Instagram post around the same time Durant made his decision?

He was indirectly calling KD a fruitcake. :roll:

BlakFrankWhite
07-08-2016, 12:30 PM
He's an amazing player... until the final 5 minutes of an important playoff game. He just doesn't understand tempo, time, and score.

Let's be honest, he outplayed Curry in the series.

If it wasn't for Klay hitting miraculous 40ft 3s.. OKC woulda won...

SouBeachTalents
07-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Let's be honest, he outplayed Curry in the series.

If it wasn't for Klay hitting miraculous 40ft 3s.. OKC woulda won...

Or Durant playing like shit the entire game

keep-itreal
07-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Lol did you check Westbrook's 4th July Instagram post around the same time Durant made his decision?

I just checked that pic,

wow :roll:

alphabrook:bowdown:

imdaman99
07-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Russ isn't always on social media, but when he is, he da bess :lol

CTbasketball92
07-08-2016, 12:47 PM

I know what you mean, it's just that I haven't even seen him in a position where he could start a tempo and play steady. The only reason why OKC is ever in the game deep in the playoffs is because of his violent, erratic approach to the game. He needs someone to be a knockdown shooter or at least a great iso player. KD should've been that, but his jumper was broken or the pressure of the defense was too much for him. It reminds me of the LeBron-Kyrie situation. LeBron's all around play keeps them in the game, Kyrie does adequately enough in the all around part (defense, passing, turnovers low), then he knocks down shots in all the key moments.

Only a few players can play the all around game on both ends and then also be super clutch at the end. Really, only MJ and LeBron have done it. Again, Curry has never had to do more than shooting and passing. Can't wait to see KD does with all of that help lol.

greatest-ever
07-08-2016, 12:53 PM
I think he's rated fine, he's a consensus top 3-5 player in the league and he gets his due. My main gripes againt him are his low iq, and his inconsistent effort on defense. I don't know about him going down as a top 25 player of all time as you say, that seems a bit generous especially considering he's likely to have an early decline due to his game being so dependent on athleticism.

theaussieguy
07-08-2016, 12:58 PM
I think he's rated fine, he's a consensus top 3-5 player in the league and he gets his due. My main gripes againt him are his low iq, and his inconsistent effort on defense. I don't know about him going down as a top 25 player of all time as you say, that seems a bit generous especially considering he's likely to have an early decline due to his game being so dependent on athleticism.

I can't deny he does well with what hes given, but with an absolutely PITIFUL 36.5 inch max vert, his dropoff is likely to be sharp and swift and his ability to get anywhere near the rim will be nullified.

Just2McFly
07-08-2016, 01:00 PM
You can say the same for behind the back steph, and Westbrook's clutch resume is better than Curry's by miles.

LBJ4MVP23
07-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Hes a great player in a vacuum. I think on a terrible roster he is a guy you want/could live with. Someone who will dominate the ball, can be a hero on any given night, and is exciting to watch.

But when you have other talent? His inefficient scoring, barreling into the lane predetermined to put up a shot regardless of defense or an open shooter, and tendency to not actively get others involved when things start getting tough/slowing down hurts you. This is especially true when it comes to it being a PG, someone that should run the team even if he isn't the "leader."

I like WB, love his tenacity and swagger. But he doesn't play a winning brand of basketball and it must have frustrated KD endlessly to have someone like that. But I guess in the end you are asking a natural 2 to play the 1, so that doesn't help.

CTbasketball92
07-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Hes a great player in a vacuum. I think on a terrible roster he is a guy you want/could live with. Someone who will dominate the ball, can be a hero on any given night, and is exciting to watch.

But when you have other talent? His inefficient scoring, barreling into the lane predetermined to put up a shot regardless of defense or an open shooter, and tendency to not actively get others involved when things start getting tough/slowing down hurts you. This is especially true when it comes to it being a PG, someone that should run the team even if he isn't the "leader."

I like WB, love his tenacity and swagger. But he doesn't play a winning brand of basketball and it must have frustrated KD endlessly to have someone like that. But I guess in the end you are asking a natural 2 to play the 1, so that doesn't help.

I guess my overall point is, if the Thunder have had a few 60 win seasons and go deep into the playoffs, how is that not a winning brand of basketball.

LBJ4MVP23
07-08-2016, 01:12 PM
I guess my overall point is, if the Thunder have had a few 60 win seasons and go deep into the playoffs, how is that not a winning brand of basketball.

100% valid point. But I think the times they have been most successful was when Westbrook was under control. The fact that you can't rely on that happening hurts a team and demoralizes players who play with him, especially someone as talented as KD.

I do believe Westbrook is a great player, I just don't think he is as impactful as other "lesser" players because he can hurt you as much as he helps.

Ultimately this season will go a long way towards seeing what kind of leader he can be and how involved he can get his teammates.