PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 on ball defenders of all time?

TheWinningFam
07-11-2016, 08:26 PM
1.Gary payton (Best defender at the point guard spot, just a lock down guy.)
2.Lbj(Signature chase down blocking ability unseen before in the nba,Can guard 1-5 and blocked 7 footers with ease in his prime.)
3.MJ (Great on ball defender, top 5 in steals too)
4.Hakeem
5.leonard
Who am i missing and who's your top 5

andgar923
07-11-2016, 08:59 PM
2.Lbj(Signature chase down blocking ability unseen before in the nba,Can guard 1-5 and blocked 7 footers with ease in his prime.)
4.Hakeem
5.leonard
:rolleyes:

Smoke117
07-11-2016, 09:01 PM
4.Hakeem
5.leonard

Cringe...you're the worst new alt right now, fakkot...

AintNoSunshine
07-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Off topic but,

Lebron locks down MVP point guard Rose, Tony Parker and etc, and blocks centers like Splitter.

Simply amazing.

TheWinningFam
07-11-2016, 09:09 PM
:facepalm anyone who doesn't think lebron is a top 5 on ball defender is retarded.

tmacattack33
07-11-2016, 11:07 PM
:facepalm anyone who doesn't think lebron is a top 5 on ball defender is retarded.

A chase down block is off the ball, or fast break, defense.

His block on Splitter was also help defense.

I mean it doesn't actually matter what you call it, because in real life all that matters it the total result, which Lebron gets a 9.5 in, but you named this thread ON BALL defense.

And Lebron's ON BALL defense is just pretty good, a solid 8/10.

Lebronxrings
07-11-2016, 11:25 PM
:rolleyes:
but he can guard 1-5 and lock the opposing teams star player. Don't be a retard.

Prime_Shaq
07-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Walt Frazier

Bawkish
07-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Why do Bron stans always prop up the chasedown block as if it was invented by Lebron? Pippen used to do it all the time during the '90s, so does MJ

kamil
07-11-2016, 11:45 PM
LOL @ LeBronies*!!

Spaulding
07-12-2016, 12:12 AM
I would take out lebron and put Rodman in there

Micku
07-12-2016, 12:17 AM
That's tough.

Tony Allen should be on the list I think. He has done good work against Kobe and KD, despite being shorter.

You've got MJ, Pippen, Payton, Michael Cooper (his work against Bird was great), Joe Dumars, Bobby Jones, Rodman, LeBron and Kawhi. Kobe was great when he wants to be too. You need a pick to get off on him once he is focus, but he wasn't as consistent.

I never seen Anderson Cooper or Walt Frazier. I haven't seen enough of Sidney Moncrief and Mo Cheeks to say about those guys either.

So, from what I seen...I guess this in no ordder:
Tony Allen
MJ
Pippen
Payton
Kawhi/Rodman?

Might switch it with LBJ too. I dunno. He had some good instances where he slows down star point guards, more so than Kawhi though Kawhi has more potential.

ClipperRevival
07-12-2016, 12:48 AM
OP obviously doesn't know the definition of "on the ball" defender. LeBron isn't even top 15.

fsvr54
07-12-2016, 01:38 AM
That's tough.

Tony Allen should be on the list I think. He has done good work against Kobe and KD, despite being shorter.

You've got MJ, Pippen, Payton, Michael Cooper (his work against Bird was great), Joe Dumars, Bobby Jones, Rodman, LeBron and Kawhi. Kobe was great when he wants to be too. You need a pick to get off on him once he is focus, but he wasn't as consistent.

I never seen Anderson Cooper or Walt Frazier. I haven't seen enough of Sidney Moncrief and Mo Cheeks to say about those guys either.

Tony Allen
MJ
Pippen
Payton
Kawhi/Rodman?

Might switch it with LBJ too. I dunno. He had some good instances where he slows down star point guards, more so than Kawhi though Kawhi has more potential.

you named most of the dudes, but forgot bowen.

FashionIssues
07-12-2016, 01:51 AM
all time no switch / help team:

payton
jordan
pippen
rodman
mutombo

ClipperRevival
07-12-2016, 01:57 AM
That's tough.

Tony Allen
MJ
Pippen
Payton
Kawhi/Rodman?

Guys before my time who had reps for their D: West, Havlicek, D. Johnson.

Guys I saw: Robertson, Artest, Battier.

Robertson at his peak was THE GOAT at generating steals. 6 year stretch (1986 - 1991) 3.1 spg.

And I know I'm forgetting some guys too.

34-24 Footwork
07-12-2016, 02:23 AM
OP obviously doesn't know the definition of "on the ball" defender. LeBron isn't even top 15.

This is the only serious post in this thread.

AintNoSunshine
07-12-2016, 03:41 AM

payton
jordan
pippen
rodman
mutombo

How well did Mutombo defend the pick and roll? Didn't watch him much.

soots
07-12-2016, 03:47 AM
You had to be specific with the "On-ball" requirement because the top 20 defenders would all be Centers/PFs who have literally double the defensive impact

feyki
07-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Jordan,Payton,Hakeem,Russell,Garnett .

Sportal
07-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Was Stockton any good??

diamenz
07-12-2016, 08:21 AM
mj
pippen
leonard/payton
lebron

...in that order with iq factored in.

Dragonyeuw
07-12-2016, 08:26 AM
2.Lbj(Signature chase down blocking ability unseen before in the nba,Can guard

You make a post about on-ball defenders, and proceed to use chasedown blocking as your argument.

The trolling is getting worse by the day.

Klay 3D
07-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't think of big men when it comes to on-ball defense so I'm just going to leave them out. Basically, just pick 5 of the following list, and I would have no problem with it.

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Bruce Bowen
Sidney Moncrief
Tony Allen
Shane Battier
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Johnson
Kawhi Leonard
Dennis Rodman
Ron Artest
Jerry West
Michael Cooper
Alvin Roberson
Joe Dumars

I don't even mind Avery Bradley for smaller perimeter players. Iggy is up there too if you're facing stronger players.

f0und
07-12-2016, 10:08 AM
jordan
moncrief
payton
bowen(though he's dirty af)
leonard

f0und
07-12-2016, 10:10 AM
4.Hakeem
5.leonard

great. just what this place needs need. another f*ggot.

hateraid
07-12-2016, 11:43 AM
I don't know why people are scoffing at LBJ? On ball he's the only player I've seen that can shut down a guard to a power forward effectively.

I'm going to break down my list into 3 categories since I can't really compare a guard to a big. My 3 categories are perimeter, bigs, versatility

Perimeter
1- Payton
2- Pippen
3- Moncrief
4- Jordan
5- Dumars/ D.Harper

Bigs
1- Dennis Rodman
2- Mutombo
3- Ben Wallace
4- Bobby Jones
5- Hakeem Olajuwon

Versatility
1- Lebron
2- Pippen
3- Artest
4- Bowen
5- Rodman

imdaman99
07-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Never saw him play but his legend is strong here in NYC, Walt Clyde Frazier.

tmacattack33
07-12-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't know why people are scoffing at LBJ? On ball he's the only player I've seen that can shut down a guard to a power forward effectively.

I'm going to break down my list into 3 categories since I can't really compare a guard to a big. My 3 categories are perimeter, bigs, versatility

Perimeter
1- Payton
2- Pippen
3- Moncrief
4- Jordan
5- Dumars/ D.Harper

Bigs
1- Dennis Rodman
2- Mutombo
3- Ben Wallace
4- Bobby Jones
5- Hakeem Olajuwon

Versatility
1- Lebron
2- Pippen
3- Artest
4- Bowen
5- Rodman

This is a good list.

Though even this is dominated a little too much by the super-stars. Role players can play just as good defense as super-stars. Avery Bradley, Tony Allen, Speedy Claxton, Mookie Blaylock, Theo Ratliff, Igoudala, T. Prince.

Smoke117
07-12-2016, 06:24 PM

payton
jordan
pippen
rodman
mutombo

Wtf? He's not even a top 10 one on one defender at his position...way too slow.

Sheed was the best one on one defender in the post for many years...he deserves a mention.

Lebronxrings
07-12-2016, 06:50 PM
I don't think of big men when it comes to on-ball defense so I'm just going to leave them out. Basically, just pick 5 of the following list, and I would have no problem with it.

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Bruce Bowen
Sidney Moncrief
Tony Allen
Shane Battier
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Johnson
Kawhi Leonard
Dennis Rodman
Ron Artest
Jerry West
Michael Cooper
Alvin Roberson
Joe Dumars

I don't even mind Avery Bradley for smaller perimeter players. Iggy is up there too if you're facing stronger players.
Lol @ sneaking kobe in there. Kobetards gonna kobetard

FatComputerNerd
07-12-2016, 07:38 PM
I feel like Mookie Blaylock should at least be mentioned in here.

Aussie Dunker
07-12-2016, 08:42 PM
I feel like there is not enough shine on Joe Dumars in this conversation.

This dude was a BAD man when it came to on ball defense,

The GOAT, Michael Jordan, labeled him the best player to ever defend him.

For that reason alone, Dumars needs to be in the conversation as one of the all-time great on ball defenders -

hateraid
07-12-2016, 09:00 PM
I feel like there is not enough shine on Joe Dumars in this conversation.

This dude was a BAD man when it came to on ball defense,

The GOAT, Michael Jordan, labeled him the best player to ever defend him.

For that reason alone, Dumars needs to be in the conversation as one of the all-time great on ball defenders -
He actually said Derek Harper was the best defender he's ever faced

hateraid
07-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Wtf? He's not even a top 10 one on one defender at his position...way too slow.

Sheed was the best one on one defender in the post for many years...he deserves a mention.
Wft are YOU talking about. He's was the best vertical defender I've ever seen. Which took away one way to score. The only options was through or around. You could never go over. I've seen him effectively gaurd Kemp in his prime. Who was probably the most mobile and athletic true PF ever. Kemp couldn't go over, around or through him. Mutombo has pretty much stuffed every post player except for Shaq in his era one on one