PDA

View Full Version : Lets discuss: Are super teams really bad for the NBA?

Solefade
07-13-2016, 02:08 AM
I actually think it's better for the NBA...makes it way way more interesting IMO. The NBA is more fun when there's a villain.

sportjames23
07-13-2016, 02:13 AM
Ain't no fun when there's no competition. What good is having a super team if there are hardly any teams to challenge them?

Right now, there's Golden State and Cleveland. That's it. The East has been weak for years, and now the West is joining the East.

Spaulding
07-13-2016, 02:23 AM
Superteams aren't bad as long as there is actual competition.

East is finally improving and actual beat out the Western conference in more winning teams for playoffs. But, West is getting worse.

One thing for certain, it's not fun knowing that there's a high chance we will see Warriors and Cleveland again.

francesco totti
07-13-2016, 02:27 AM
Superteams arent bad for short period of time, but not long.
Something like Miami Heat was good for league, for 4 years. But not extended period of 7 - 8 years.. Same team winning.

I think the league is in good position. Since 2010, 7 championships 6 teams different won.

Bawkish
07-13-2016, 02:33 AM
of course it's bad, cause why the hell would you put up a 30 team league then collude most of the superstars into 4 teams? No one would care on those poor leftover teams that got taken off.

Solefade
07-13-2016, 02:35 AM
how is the current era any different from the 80's or 90's which was considered the "golden era" of basketball?

francesco totti
07-13-2016, 02:36 AM
THERE is nothing literally to stop superteams forming.the situation in NBA is far better then other sports, just take a look at european soccer and some of piss poor leagues ( seriea , la liga, ligue 1 bundesliga..). You have a team like Barcelona with 4 of best 10 players with them.

Bawkish
07-13-2016, 02:41 AM
how is the current era any different from the 80's or 90's which was considered the "golden era" of basketball?

Last time i checked Bird, MJ, Magic, Isiah weren't teammates

francesco totti
07-13-2016, 02:44 AM

Magic was a teammate with Kareem, two top 10 all time players on same team.

Solefade
07-13-2016, 02:51 AM

Bird's celtics weren't a super team?
the show time lakers weren't a super team?
MJ's bulls weren't a super team?

i'm not debating if KD's move was a bitch move because that's pretty obvious

sportjames23
07-13-2016, 03:43 AM

MJ's Bulls
Bird's Celtics
Magic's Lakers
Drexler's Blazers
Bad Boy Pistons
Ewing's Knicks
Stockton and Malone's Jazz
Payton and Kemp's Sonics
Robinson's Spurs
Dream's Rockets
Run-TMC Warriors
Barkley/KJ Suns
Zo's Hornets
Price and Daugherty's Cavs
Nique's Hawks
Miller's Pacers

You REALLY comparing today's shit league to the 80s/90s?

NBAGOAT
07-13-2016, 03:52 AM
MJ's Bulls
Bird's Celtics
Magic's Lakers
Drexler's Blazers
Bad Boy Pistons
Ewing's Knicks
Payton and Kemp's Sonics
Robinson's Spurs
Dream's Rockets
Run-TMC Warriors
Barkley/KJ Suns
Zo's Hornets
Nique's Hawks
Miller's Pacers

he should've said 80's but pretty much only 3 of those teams you listed came from the 80's. That's pretty similar to what next year will look like. 90's was really competitive but then again some will say there weren't many super teams that decade. Anyway our era is fine now.

In just this decade we have Warriors, Cavs, Miami(11-14), Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Thunder, Clippers, Howard's Magic, Memphis, Rose's Bulls, George's Pacers, Harden's Rockets, Aldridge and Lillard's Blazers etc. Yes some of those teams I listed weren't really contenders but same is true for your list(Zo's Hornets come on now, should've gone with Zo Hardaway Heat).

TheOne
07-13-2016, 04:00 AM
All star game should be once a year thing. You can have all star team for 82 games. It's not allowed.

Bawkish
07-13-2016, 04:18 AM

those weren't colluded teams, most of them were drafted by the their own team

Cleverness
07-13-2016, 04:38 AM
MJ's Bulls
Bird's Celtics
Magic's Lakers
Drexler's Blazers
Bad Boy Pistons
Ewing's Knicks
Payton and Kemp's Sonics
Robinson's Spurs
Dream's Rockets
Run-TMC Warriors
Barkley/KJ Suns
Zo's Hornets
Nique's Hawks
Miller's Pacers

You combined 20 years of NBA to make a good list. I'm sure if we combined the previous 20 years (1996 - 2016) we'd make a damn good list too.

Doranku
07-13-2016, 04:42 AM
Superteams aren't bad as long as there is actual competition.

East is finally improving and actual beat out the Western conference in more winning teams for playoffs. But, West is getting worse.

One thing for certain, it's not fun knowing that there's a high chance we will see Warriors and Cleveland again.

It's more than just a high chance. Both the Cavs and Warriors could lose their best player and still be the heavy favorites to win their respective conferences. :oldlol:

The league is a joke right now.

sportjames23
07-13-2016, 04:43 AM
You combined 20 years of NBA to make a good list. I'm sure if we combined the previous 20 years (1996 - 2016) we'd make a damn good list too.

Dude said the 80s and 90s didn't have too many good teams. I didn't even name all of them.

The point is, the league was far more competitive back then.

sportjames23
07-13-2016, 04:58 AM
he should've said 80's but pretty much only 3 of those teams you listed came from the 80's. That's pretty similar to what next year will look like. 90's was really competitive but then again some will say there weren't many super teams that decade. Anyway our era is fine now.

In just this decade we have Warriors, Cavs, Miami(11-14), Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Thunder, Clippers, Howard's Magic, Memphis, Rose's Bulls, George's Pacers, Harden's Rockets, Aldridge and Lillard's Blazers etc. Yes some of those teams I listed weren't really contenders but same is true for your list(Zo's Hornets come on now, should've gone with Zo Hardaway Heat).

If you want more 80s teams, how about:

Derek Harper's Mavs
Terry Cumming's Bucks
Dr. J's Sixers
Chambers and X-Man's Sonics

Some of those teams I mentioned before were from the 80s into the 90s, such as the Pistons, Jazz, Suns, Bulls, etc.

Bankaii
07-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Dude said the 80s and 90s didn't have too many good teams. I didn't even name all of them.

The point is, the league was far more competitive back then.
With all the basic ass teams you listed the current era is wayyyyyy more competitive.

NBAGOAT
07-13-2016, 05:17 AM
If you want more 80s teams, how about:

Derek Harper's Mavs
Terry Cumming's Bucks
Dr. J's Sixers
Chambers and X-Man's Sonics

Some of those teams I mentioned before were from the 80s into the 90s, such as the Pistons, Jazz, Suns, Bulls, etc.

I just think you're underselling the era today. There's plenty of competition usually, next year is kind of an exception and very similar to the 80's with 2 obvious favorites and maybe 1-2 other contenders.. Anyway Mavs and especially the Sonics(got 45+wins once with that core) is reaching for the when it comes to great teams. 10 years from now people are going mention the Arenas Jamison Wizards in the same way as the Sonics when talking about how great the mid 2000's was.

Bankaii
07-13-2016, 05:24 AM
It's more than just a high chance. Both the Cavs and Warriors could lose their best player and still be the heavy favorites to win their respective conferences. :oldlol:

The Warriors without Curry are not favorites over OKC/Spurs last year. This year sure.
And Cleveland without Lebron wouldn't have had a top 4 record and definitely wouldn't have made the Finals.

Your posting is always so shit.:facepalm

Doranku
07-13-2016, 05:25 AM
The Warriors without Curry are not favorites over OKC/Spurs.
And Cleveland without Lebron wouldn't have had a top 4 record and definitely wouldn't have made the Finals.

Your posting is always so shit.:facepalm

I'm talking about next year, you stupid f*ck. :roll:

aj1987
07-13-2016, 05:31 AM
I kinda agree with you. About your assertion of banakiii's intelligence and Warriors making the Finals without Curry. The Cavs wouldn't though. LeBron is the teams best scorer, playmaker, and defender. Heck, he was their best rebounder as well, in the PO's. They don't make the Finals without LeBron.

Bankaii
07-13-2016, 05:39 AM
I kinda agree with you. About your assertion of banakiii's intelligence and Warriors making the Finals without Curry. The Cavs wouldn't though. LeBron is the teams best scorer, playmaker, and defender. Heck, he was their best rebounder as well, in the PO's. They don't make the Finals without LeBron.
You really this riled up over a fact about Dwade in another thread:roll:

Bankaii
07-13-2016, 05:42 AM
I already noticed that and fixed my post jackass.
That doesn't change the fact that your point about the Cavs is still dumb as hell.

aj1987
07-13-2016, 06:34 AM
You really this riled up over a fact about Dwade in another thread:roll:
Riled up? Took me like 5 seconds to type those 5-6 words and another 10 seconds to type this up.

Ben Simmons
07-13-2016, 06:57 AM

Cavs wouldnt be the favorites without Lebron...

Hoopz2332
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM

Warriors, yes? Cavs? hell no:roll:

poido123
07-13-2016, 08:05 AM
They are, but the door has been opened now and it will be a fixture of the future NBA.

It will be fun for 2 or 3 teams in the league I suppose

coin24
07-13-2016, 09:23 AM
The leagues turned into a joke now, it really will be just the cavs and warriors next season..
I'd rather see one star player per team, this teaming up bullshit is ruining the league..

This years playoffs were some of the worst I've ever seen

poido123
07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
The leagues turned into a joke now, it really will be just the cavs and warriors next season..
I'd rather see one star player per team, this teaming up bullshit is ruining the league..

This years playoffs were some of the worst I've ever seen

I would be happy with that. One star player on one max contract per team. One salary cap amount that CANNOT be breached, no luxury taxes etc.

Let's also make the draft incentive based, now that there's an even playing field for all teams with cap limitations.

Goldrush25
07-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Most championship teams throughout history are super teams. This isn't some new thing, those Celtic teams that dominated the 60s, that's about as super a team as you'll find. You have odd years when a Pistons team wins but those years are rare.

There is a healthy amount of competition in the league right now. 4 different champions in the past 4 years. What more do people want?

People think they want parity but no one here is watching if the NBA Finals is the Milwaukee Bucks vs the Utah Jazz.

Haymaker
07-13-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm not against Superteams but too many of them at the same time would definitely water down the league.

TaLvsCuaL
07-13-2016, 02:48 PM
The star system is the real problem. Phantom calls, favorable refs, untouchable status, inflated stats, etc.

In such a system, team ball is punished, or at least, is not benefited. Ergo, most teams want to have as much stars (or fake stars) as they can. That's the easy way to success in this fraudulent system.

Lakers Legend#32
07-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Not when it f#cks over OKC.

mlh1981
07-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Yes and no. There is added intrigue and I'm sure ratings will soar through the roof for their games, but it feels like some NBA franchises only exist because the superstars of the game have to place other teams besides one another.

Hey Yo
07-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Superteams arent bad for short period of time, but not long.
Something like Miami Heat was good for league, for 4 years. But not extended period of 7 - 8 years.. Same team winning.

I think the league is in good position. Since 2010, 7 championships 6 teams different won.
Ya really can't call a 24 loss 2 seed a super team like the 2011 Heat were.

Goldrush25
07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Yes and no. There is added intrigue and I'm sure ratings will soar through the roof for their games, but it feels like some NBA franchises only exist because the superstars of the game have to place other teams besides one another.

Well, just the same, every team out there isn't even trying to win an NBA championship. Donald Sterling owned the Clippers for years only concerned with turning a profit. He isn't the only one.

I'm sure all of them would say on the record that they want to win a championship but how many are willing to pay exorbitant luxury tax to get the players you need to do it?

The system isn't perfect but it adequate. Owners shouldn't be able to squeeze every last nickel out of their franchise and be in position to win a championship. Winning comes at a cost.

ArbitraryWater
07-13-2016, 04:57 PM

You dont understand.... the Warriors were ALREADY a super team. But that was fine. It made things interesting....

but to have a super team, ADD ANOTHER top 3 player?

THATS the unprecedented thing... the term super team doesnt even do them justice anymore. Its an UBER super team.

ArbitraryWater
07-13-2016, 04:59 PM

Cavs favorites without LeBron? What fantasy world are you living in :oldlol:

Doranku
07-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Cavs favorites without LeBron? What fantasy world are you living in :oldlol:

Who's gonna beat a Kyrie/Love/TT core in the East?

The trash bros? :oldlol: The Dwight Howard-led Hawks? :roll: Maybe the Celtics if Olynyk decides to rip KLove's arm out of its socket again.

Kyrie just showed what he's capable of doing in the playoffs. Love in a second option role would be a much better fit for him.

It's not as set in stone as it'd be for the Warriors obviously, but they could easily compete with any other team in the East. You guys are sleeping on Kyrie, honestly.

ArbitraryWater
07-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Who's gonna beat a Kyrie/Love/TT core in the East?

The trash bros? :oldlol: The Dwight Howard-led Hawks? :roll: Maybe the Celtics if Olynyk decides to rip KLove's arm out of its socket again.

Kyrie just showed what he's capable of doing in the playoffs. Love in a second option role would be a much better fit for him.

It's not as set in stone as it'd be for the Warriors obviously, but they could easily compete with any other team in the East. You guys are sleeping on Kyrie, honestly.

They always go to shit without LeBron's presence on the court....

thats why this team is 4-16 without LeBron the last two years.

Love is a glorified Kyle Korver at this point. TT is like an equal to Biyombo. Damn right Im taking the Raps, Hawks, C's, Pistons... CHI with Wade/Butler, NY, and IND would be close, too.

CuterThanRubio
07-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Super teams have always controlled the NBA, the main difference is that before free agency existed there was no chance for those who didn't luck into drafting the best players.

The Celtics won EIGHT titles consecutively, yet people are going to cry foul because LeBron joined Miami and won TWO, or even worse you have people losing their minds over Durant and he hasn't even played a single game with Golden State, its a joke!

The 80s were extremely top heavy, did I really see a certain Jordan stan bring up the Hawks like they were a force, lmao, please stop the madness!

The NBA is better than ever from all sides, the game itself and popularity wise, hate it or love it, Adam Silver is making things happen!

smoovegittar
07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Weak Era :hammerhead:

houston
07-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Super teams have always controlled the NBA, the main difference is that before free agency existed there was no chance for those who didn't luck into drafting the best players.

The Celtics won EIGHT titles consecutively, yet people are going to cry foul because LeBron joined Miami and won TWO, or even worse you have people losing their minds over Durant and he hasn't even played a single game with Golden State, its a joke!

The 80s were extremely top heavy, did I really see a certain Jordan stan bring up the Hawks like they were a force, lmao, please stop the madness!

The NBA is better than ever from all sides, the game itself and popularity wise, hate it or love it, Adam Silver is making things happen!

yup this what it is all about good post

SaltyMeatballs
07-13-2016, 06:43 PM
MJ's Bulls
Bird's Celtics
Magic's Lakers
Drexler's Blazers
Bad Boy Pistons
Ewing's Knicks
Payton and Kemp's Sonics
Robinson's Spurs
Dream's Rockets
Run-TMC Warriors
Barkley/KJ Suns
Zo's Hornets
Nique's Hawks
Miller's Pacers

:bowdown:

SaltyMeatballs
07-13-2016, 06:44 PM
NBA basketball today is WEAK. Not a lot of competition these days...