PDA

View Full Version : Rate Steve Kerr and Tyronn Lue's coaching in the Finals

Elosha
07-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Sorry if there's already an identical thread... Interested in thoughtful discussion.

Prime_Shaq
07-16-2016, 08:46 AM
I don't know how much Lue actually coached... but Kerr was beyond horrible.

ScalsFan21
07-16-2016, 08:58 AM
It's a tough debate because a lot of it is based in conjecture but I think Lue did a much better job of course with his mid-series adjustments and Kerr fell flat in that area, much to my surprise. It took him a long time seemingly to figure out what was and wasn't working.

I wonder, is that the least combined head coaching experience in a Finals matchup ever? 2.5 combined seasons...

bdonovan
07-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Kerr seems to believe in "flow"; that is the team's on-court chemistry and creativity is sufficient. Which he seems to think means he doesn't have to do anything. Coaching 101 is X's and O's - running plays and making adjustments. In the face of physical chippy defense, esp on Curry, Kerr didn't seem to call one play that would call for screens to free him up. I found that difficult to believe. A few plays for Thompson and Curry as good as they are could have meant the difference of 5-10 points. Though both players are excellent; the increased physicality of the playoffs makes the screens matter. (a strong screen also takes the wind out of the defender and makes him more cautious, a step slower on future posessions)

The Warriors "flow" (which seems to be player initiated) meant half-hearted lazy screens - which the Cavs saw coming and simply switched effortlessly (Cavs big man guarded Curry); Tristan Thompson was fast enough to prevent that being an easy bucket for Curry. A proper play with a less-expected screen could have freed him up. That Kerr didn't do something basic like that was remarkable; but his team won 73 games without him actively managing the team, so perhaps he thought it wasn't needed.

The second component is adjustment. No adjustment to Cavs pick and roll. No adjustment when getting outrebounded. I wish I wrote this closer to the finals because more examples were fresh in my mind.

He would leave a team on the floor where Thompson and James were dominating the boards; and have someone like Varajeo or Speights in there- neither of whom could grab the ball. He played Iguodala, think it was Game 6, where Iguodala couldn't even jump. It was simply frustrating as an NBA fan who want to see both teams play their best be coached like that. I'd give Kerr a 1 out of 10.

tpols
07-17-2016, 12:18 AM
i like Lue because he never wavered. Even when they were getting their asses kicked he didnt look scared. Had them play physical at home in game 3 to set a new tone, lost narrowly in game 4, recieved a lot of luck going forward from there, but he never show any ***** in his armor, poker face throughout. Not even over celebratory in winning either.. just an assasin both ways.

Steve kerr seems like a cocky douche to me in interviews.. sarcastic, and just kinda annoying. he's overrated.

BlkMambaGOAT
07-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Best Coaches in history:

1. Red Auerbach

2a. Greg Popovich

2b. Tyronn Lue

541 . Steve Kerr

Bankaii
07-17-2016, 12:41 AM
Both were terrible.

Kerr should've taken Curry out and left Barbosa in there more. He's a little too reliant on his system and doesn't know what to do when it fails.

Lue just didn't do anything.

The only difference is Lue had Lebron/Kyrie, and Kerr had a choking Curry/Klay.

JohnMax
07-17-2016, 12:43 AM
Steve Kerr's coaching was so bad that I wish he would've died from his health complications.

BeastMode24
07-17-2016, 12:46 AM
Kerr seems to believe in "flow"; that is the team's on-court chemistry and creativity is sufficient. Which he seems to think means he doesn't have to do anything. Coaching 101 is X's and O's - running plays and making adjustments. In the face of physical chippy defense, esp on Curry, Kerr didn't seem to call one play that would call for screens to free him up. I found that difficult to believe. A few plays for Thompson and Curry as good as they are could have meant the difference of 5-10 points. Though both players are excellent; the increased physicality of the playoffs makes the screens matter. (a strong screen also takes the wind out of the defender and makes him more cautious, a step slower on future posessions)

The Warriors "flow" (which seems to be player initiated) meant half-hearted lazy screens - which the Cavs saw coming and simply switched effortlessly (Cavs big man guarded Curry); Tristan Thompson was fast enough to prevent that being an easy bucket for Curry. A proper play with a less-expected screen could have freed him up. That Kerr didn't do something basic like that was remarkable; but his team won 73 games without him actively managing the team, so perhaps he thought it wasn't needed.

The second component is adjustment. No adjustment to Cavs pick and roll. No adjustment when getting outrebounded. I wish I wrote this closer to the finals because more examples were fresh in my mind.

He would leave a team on the floor where Thompson and James were dominating the boards; and have someone like Varajeo or Speights in there- neither of whom could grab the ball. He played Iguodala, think it was Game 6, where Iguodala couldn't even jump. It was simply frustrating as an NBA fan who want to see both teams play their best be coached like that. I'd give Kerr a 1 out of 10.

this. Kerr was awful. him playing Ezeli and Varajeo in the second half of game 7 was just painful.

Haymaker
07-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Kerr is a glorified cheerleader. Lue is the real thing. :pimp:

feyki
07-17-2016, 08:31 AM
Did they anything :confusedshrug:

Prime_Shaq
07-17-2016, 08:36 AM
It's a tough debate because a lot of it is based in conjecture but I think Lue did a much better job of course with his mid-series adjustments and Kerr fell flat in that area, much to my surprise. It took him a long time seemingly to figure out what was and wasn't working.

I wonder, is that the least combined head coaching experience in a Finals matchup ever? 2.5 combined seasons...
2015 was 2 rookie coaches Kerr vs Blatt

ScalsFan21
07-17-2016, 09:25 AM
2015 was 2 rookie coaches Kerr vs Blatt

Jesus lol how did I forget that?

Yeah it really took me by surprise how behind the curve on correcting mistakes Kerr was, and figuring out ways to get the team out of offensive ruts. Rotations were obviously questionable as he went with the strength in numbers approach to a fault right up until the end of the series.

Prime_Shaq
07-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Jesus lol how did I forget that?

Yeah it really took me by surprise how behind the curve on correcting mistakes Kerr was, and figuring out ways to get the team out of offensive ruts. Rotations were obviously questionable as he went with the strength in numbers approach to a fault right up until the end of the series.
Agreed, not sure if it was ignorance or arrogance.

IGOTGAME
07-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Kerr is a glorified cheerleader. Lue is the real thing. :pimp:

i don't know if Lue is the real thing but kerr is very OVERRATED

Jasper
07-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I don't know how much Lue actually coached... but Kerr was beyond horrible.
Actually Lue had a plan , and he had two assistant coachs as well as Bron figuring out this relentless defense they put on the War's////

Now days it is about percentages and game plans.
ALL ON PAPER.

Most of the top 6-8 teams are so evenly matched that a point or two seperates them.

Looking at golf- from 1-150 pro golfers they are a sliver away from each other in rating. Competition comes down to a stroke , or a player that knows how to win.

Experience , like Bron has , guided his team to the chip, but it was coached by Lue and his three head coach assistants.

Jameerthefear
07-17-2016, 09:44 AM
kerr was awful. just terrible all around
that game 7 ezeli sub by kerr has got to be one of the biggest blunders i've ever seen a coach make in an important game

Overdrive
07-17-2016, 09:58 AM
G6 vs OKC there was a close-up on Kerr while they were down by some that exactly showed how clueless that guy actually is.

RRR3
07-17-2016, 10:04 AM
i like Lue because he never wavered. Even when they were getting their asses kicked he didnt look scared. Had them play physical at home in game 3 to set a new tone, lost narrowly in game 4, recieved a lot of luck going forward from there, but he never show any ***** in his armor, poker face throughout. Not even over celebratory in winning either.. just an assasin both ways.

Steve kerr seems like a cocky douche to me in interviews.. sarcastic, and just kinda annoying. he's overrated.
:applause: :applause: :applause: Glad it's not just me

ScalsFan21
07-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Kerr is arrogant is hell or comes off that way, he was my favorite member of the Warriors to see get humbled because of it.

Lebron23
07-17-2016, 10:19 AM
Kerr is arrogant is hell or comes off that way, he was my favorite member of the Warriors to see get humbled because of it.

Me too.

Terahite
07-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Steve Kerr's coaching was so bad that I wish he would've died from his health complications.

:applause: :applause: :applause: Glad it's not just me.

One thing that annoys me about him is that he tries to act like Popovich in interviews, but is took geeky to pull it off. I remember another time when Ezeli had a halfway decent game and Kerr in the post-interview said something cringey like "It's going to be a Festus for the rest of us". :eek:

SouBeachTalents
09-05-2016, 01:45 PM
kerrs:oldlol:

http://media.jrn.com/images/U0014268665--356199.JPG

That sequence truly cost the Warriors the game. Obviously they still had their opportunities at the end before LeBron's block/Kyrie's 3 sealed the deal, but subbing in Ezeli was the turning point of the 4th quarter. Warriors were up 4, a stop on the Cave next possession and they'd have the ball with a chance to go up 6-7 points, which would have been a huge hurdle to overcome the way that 4th quarter had been playing.

Ezeli proceeds to foul LeBron on a 3 point attempt (when he hadn't even made one all game), then after Curry's hilarious behind the back pass, LeBron nails a 3 in his grill. The Cavs went from down 4 to up 2 in that sequence, and that imo was really the turning point of the 4th.

KiiiiNG
09-05-2016, 01:55 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Nilocon165
09-05-2016, 02:13 PM
:roll:

Annyong!
09-05-2016, 02:30 PM
That sequence truly cost the Warriors the game. Obviously they still had their opportunities at the end before LeBron's block/Kyrie's 3 sealed the deal, but subbing in Ezeli was the turning point of the 4th quarter. Warriors were up 4, a stop on the Cave next possession and they'd have the ball with a chance to go up 6-7 points, which would have been a huge hurdle to overcome the way that 4th quarter had been playing.

Ezeli proceeds to foul LeBron on a 3 point attempt (when he hadn't even made one all game), then after Curry's hilarious behind the back pass, LeBron nails a 3 in his grill. The Cavs went from down 4 to up 2 in that sequence, and that imo was really the turning point of the 4th.
Not sure if you guys know your NBA history, but reminds me of Tree Rollins on Smits.

aj1987
09-05-2016, 05:59 PM
How are you not banned?

The retards laughing at this post... :facepalm

BigKAT
09-05-2016, 06:10 PM

When they were down 87-83, I really thought it was over.
Then that 3pt foul, and that 3pt shot, that was clutch af.

A really great game.
A legendary performence by Draymond Green, really underrated.
He shot like 11 for 15 or something

G-train
09-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Didn't realise anyone was coaching, just took it in turns jacking up constested shots.

Jasper
09-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Kerr acting like Pop = failure to realize , you need to not look , but coach.

Lue acting like Jackson = final 2 minutes of game 7 , called the right plays.

DukeDelonte13
09-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Kerr gets the golden boy treatment from the media because he's one of their own.

That cavs team operated those final games of the series like a well oiled machine. Not too many stupid mental mistakes. Guys like Iman, JR, and Shump played their roles and played within their abilities.

How ballsy was it for Lue to keep rolling with Kevin even though he struggled shooting the ball?

Here's another thing.. this BS about curry not being 100% is just garbage. The cavs gameplan was to go after him defensively every single possession to wear him out and they executed it. People don't credit cavs defense at all but whatever.

Regardless of all of that, had Lebron not made that block and had Kryie missed that 3, we'd all be singing a different tune. That series was damn close.