PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: J.R. Smith asking for 15mil per

Hey Yo
07-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Steve Kyler ✔ @stevekylerNBA
Yikes... hearing JR Smith seeking huge deal to return to Cavs, in the $15m per year range. Can Cavs really pass on bringing him back?

"That request doesn’t seem so outlandish to me, but then again, I didn’t expect Smith to have such a hard time in free agency last summer.

Simply, the capped-out Cavaliers have no mechanism to adequately replace Smith if he leaves. They can pay Smith big money, because they have his Bird Rights. They can’t just allocate it to an outside free agent.

Can they — as a win-now team featuring LeBron James, who shares an agent with Smith — really afford not to appease Smith?

This is starting to resemble the Tristan Thompson situation. Thompson, another Rich Paul client, didn’t sign until the fall, even as other teams used all their cap space. Finally, Thompson re-upped with Cleveland in the fall — on a bigger deal than initially offered.

Can Smith stomach for that type of delay?

He has plenty of leverage and agent who has repeatedly successfully navigated this road, including with Eric Bledsoe two years ago. Paul always seems geared up for this fight. (By the way, LeBron still hasn’t re-signed.)

Smith started for a championship team, his outside shooting adding a valuable dimension. Really, in this situation, $15 million isn’t an awful price. He’s already 30, so the length of the contract could be a sticking point. But the dollars don’t seem so bad.

The Cavs might be reluctant to pay so much, especially if Smith isn’t getting comparable offers elsewhere. Just a few teams still have that much cap space.

Smith might be reluctant to take less, especially after opting out of a higher salary last year. This is probably his last chance at a monster payday.

So, he we are — both sides incentivized not to too budge now, but maybe even more likely to compromise as the season approaches."

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/rumor-j-r-smith-wants-15-million-per-year-from-cavaliers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

plowking
07-18-2016, 11:03 AM
He isn't worth that much. Surely there is a shooter out there that can do a similar job for them? I always thought he was pretty horrible on defense too.

Thunderfan86
07-18-2016, 11:04 AM
After reading that, I hope JR Smith gets paid. Give that man what he wants! :rockon:

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-18-2016, 11:08 AM
deserves 20 a year. led the cavs to a chip.

get it done

kamil
07-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Give him max. Every NBA player deserves 30 million a year. Even the benchwarmers.

Ca$H
07-18-2016, 11:10 AM
He isn't worth that much. Surely there is a shooter out there that can do a similar job for them? I always thought he was pretty horrible on defense too.

Can they

BigTicket
07-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Not really surprising given the contracts that have been handed out so far, I would ask for it if I was him.

Not sure he'll get it, but you can hardly blame the man for trying, I mean Mozgov got $16M per year and Dellavedova got $10M.

Nastradamus
07-18-2016, 11:15 AM
I mean, if Crabbe is worth 17.......

Im Still Ballin
07-18-2016, 11:17 AM
He's an absolute weapon on a healthy Cavs squad... Probably the best 4th option in the league

ArbitraryWater
07-18-2016, 11:19 AM
I mean, if Crabbe is worth 17.......

Crabbe is 24, Smith is 30, and Crabbe is already on his level as player, if not better

Sarcastic
07-18-2016, 11:22 AM
He's an absolute weapon on a healthy Cavs squad... Probably the best 4th option in the league

Second best.

Durant is the best.

CarlosBoozer
07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Give him it, man deserves to be paid.

Nastradamus
07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Crabbe is 24, Smith is 30, and Crabbe is already on his level as player, if not better

Age is irrelevant here. If you're expecting SMith to fall off a cliff, fine, let him walk, but Crabbe is basically hoping to be Smith and Smith is part of a title team that is capped out, so he has leverage. 15 is plenty fair in this market. Might settle for 2/25 or 3/40. They gave SHumpert's benched ass 10 per

CarlosBoozer
07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Shumpert got paid and he got zero offense :roll:

Ca$H
07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
The Sixers should sign him. Simmons needs a floor spacer.

salwan
07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
tbh he got underpaid the last few years. he deserves a paycheck 100%

FatComputerNerd
07-18-2016, 12:01 PM
We need to pay the man.

He was a HUGE x-factor for us all last season...on both ends of the floor.

bdreason
07-18-2016, 01:49 PM
He should try to get as much money as he can. Nobody is gonna care if Jr Smith wins 5 titles.

Haymaker
07-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Smith will be broke soon after he retires so they could at least help him extend his wealth for a while. Those strippers and parties don't come in cheap.

Levity
07-18-2016, 02:11 PM
is there any team (besides the cavs) that would consider paying him this much?

lilteapot
07-18-2016, 02:16 PM
He's worth it to the Cavs, possibly worth even more. They need to find a way to pay the guy.

Derka
07-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Guys of his caliber and talent are getting about that; seems like the Cavs should fork up. Who cares about luxury tax penalties when you're winning titles?

bigkingsfan
07-18-2016, 02:33 PM
With K-Love and Kyrie bargain contract, they can afford it. :rockon:

Meticode
07-18-2016, 04:11 PM
He has mental lapses on defense when his shot isn't falling in, but he's actually pretty solid defensively though. If Shump is getting $10 million a year off last year's cap, J.R. is definitely going to get around $13-15 off this year's cap.

bluechox2
07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
he deserves it...carried lebron last finals to a loss, but with kyrie back this year, carried lebron to a win

SilkkTheShocker
07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
he deserves it...carried lebron last finals to a loss, but with kyrie back this year, carried lebron to a win

Yea, im sure JR and Shumpert learned how to play winning basketball from their time on the Knicks. :oldlol:

Dro
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM
What?

SilkkTheShocker
07-18-2016, 05:15 PM
What?

Yea, I don't agree with that either. Smith is still a way more dynamic player.

Spurs m8
07-18-2016, 05:43 PM
deserves 20 a year. led the cavs to a chip.

get it done

LOL still melting down

AintNoSunshine
07-18-2016, 06:41 PM
I think Gilbert can afford this contract but Cavs can't afford to lose him.

G-train
07-18-2016, 07:45 PM
I'd say he is worth at least $15m in current market.
Miles Plumlee just got $13m for example.

Smoke117
07-18-2016, 08:01 PM
He'll get it...he's a perfect fit on this Cavs team...though I'm not sure he'll stay motivated and continue playing as well as he did this past season...he doesn't seem like the type of guy to keep going all out after winning a championship and getting paid.

RedBlackAttack
07-18-2016, 08:18 PM
He'll get it...he's a perfect fit on this Cavs team...though I'm not sure he'll stay motivated and continue playing as well as he did this past season...he doesn't seem like the type of guy to keep going all out after winning a championship and getting paid.
That's why you keep him on a relatively short contract. I'd expect 2 years... maybe a 3rd year player option.

He will re-sign. Just a matter of when and how much. Mozgov got $16 million a year for 4 years. It is hard for me to say that $15 million per year over 2-3 years is too much for JR.

G-train
07-18-2016, 08:32 PM
That's why you keep him on a relatively short contract. I'd expect 2 years... maybe a 3rd year player option.

He will re-sign. Just a matter of when and how much. Mozgov got $16 million a year for 4 years. It is hard for me to say that $15 million per year over 2-3 years is too much for JR.

That's what Cavs would want, but I foresee 4/60. 4th year partially guaranteed.

DukeDelonte13
07-18-2016, 09:05 PM
he's an elite three point threat and an above average wing defender. he can create his own offense when needed and has been by all accounts a good teammate.

pay him.

RedBlackAttack
07-18-2016, 09:20 PM
That's what Cavs would want, but I foresee 4/60. 4th year partially guaranteed.
I'd give him more money for less years. I wouldn't agree to a 4-year contract unless the 4th year is a team option.

bigt
07-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Whether he's 'worth it' or not isn't really relevant to this situation - The Cavaliers are hamstrung. If they don't sign JR Smith, they can't replace him because of their cap situation. So they either pay him what he's after or they take a hit to their team that they can't exactly fix.

If I'm Cleveland I sign him to a short term contract if possible. Maybe even offer to pay him a bit more per year if he signs for fewer years. You don't necessarily want to be stuck with him on a long term deal (he's better if he's constantly playing for a contract really) but they're better off with him than without under the circumstances

archkiller
07-19-2016, 12:29 AM
If mozgov is worth 16m per yr, JR smith is definitely worth more than that.

G-train
07-19-2016, 12:30 AM

Yer well Moz isn't worth that, Lakers just paid him that lol

francesco totti
07-19-2016, 01:02 AM

big men cost alot more.

jbryan1984
07-19-2016, 02:31 AM
And he deserves every penny. JR Smith is so overlooked on this team. He is a huge part of our success and hit some big shots in the finals.

RedBlackAttack
07-19-2016, 02:39 AM
Whether he's 'worth it' or not isn't really relevant to this situation - The Cavaliers are hamstrung. If they don't sign JR Smith, they can't replace him because of their cap situation. So they either pay him what he's after or they take a hit to their team that they can't exactly fix.

If I'm Cleveland I sign him to a short term contract if possible. Maybe even offer to pay him a bit more per year if he signs for fewer years. You don't necessarily want to be stuck with him on a long term deal (he's better if he's constantly playing for a contract really) but they're better off with him than without under the circumstances
There is no doubt the Cavs are re-signing him for the reasons you highlighted above, among others. I don't ever think the Cavs even considered letting JR walk. He is probably the main reason they let Mozgov and especially Delly walk.

Best case scenario for the Cavs would be 3 years, $45-50 million with the third year being a player option. I would bet that's where they're at.

My best guess is JR is asking for 4 years $60 million.

They will work it out. I am as sure about JR being re-signed this year as I was about Tristan last year. The Cavs have made it pretty clear the last two years who they want to keep and who they can handle losing. JR will be back whatever it takes.

bigkingsfan
07-19-2016, 02:41 AM
big men cost alot more.
No, stupidity cost more.

Jasper
07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Well surprised me about JR through the season , into the playoff's and finals was his commitment to DEFENSE.

He sweated his as$ off, besides making some nice critical shots.

Cav's have to sign him , but I am afraid their outside shooting may not be enough for a repeat.

Bron - needs to work on his outside shot this off season.. he looked alittle uncertain sometimes.

SilkkTheShocker
07-19-2016, 09:47 AM

It's going to be at least 3 years.

D-Wait
10-15-2016, 02:14 AM
Well, he got his 15 mill./per year for 3 seasons, 4th year is apparently a Team Option for 12 mill...

RedBlackAttack
10-15-2016, 09:47 AM
I'm fine with the terms. I had no problem paying JR, even if there wasn't a viable market to push his price up. We were stuck basically negotiating with ourselves. But, the terms are fair. I was happy the 4th year wasn't guaranteed and that was obviously a sticking point for the Cavs. I have to think a lot of this hold-out was about JR's team getting him four years guaranteed, so they were able to find a middle ground.

Now I just hope he gets in shape quickly.