PDA

View Full Version : what's so great about Draymond Green?

orange_chicken
07-21-2016, 05:18 AM
Obviously he's no franchise player but what's so good about Green that makes him an All-Star reserve? Other than kicking players in the nut the guy has no go-to move nor can he iso. So what makes him such a great player?

iamgine
07-21-2016, 05:25 AM
All defensive level on multiple positions, big hustle, can be secondary dribbler, good passer and make the right play most of the time.

AirBonner
07-21-2016, 05:27 AM
Obviously he's no franchise player but what's so good about Green that makes him an All-Star reserve? Other than kicking players in the nut the guy has no go-to move nor can he iso. So what makes him such a great player?
Did you watch the finals? He was the best performer on the warriors. Plus his versatility. Hes a big game player unlike curry.

Gileraracer
07-21-2016, 06:15 AM
He's the difference maker for the warriors. Unfortunately Adam Silver decided to suspend him in the most important game of the finals to help Lebron rescue his legacy.

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 06:18 AM
All star reserve means nothing. He's currently All NBA offense and defense.

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 06:21 AM
He's the difference maker for the warriors. Unfortunately Adam Silver decided to suspend him in the most important game of the finals to help Lebron rescue his legacy.
You and Knicks man ought to hangout and cry together

Milbuck
07-21-2016, 06:25 AM
I used to think he was overrated but he's a legit star level player, just different. His value isn't as simple or straightforward like a Blake Griffin or an Anthony Davis. Just break his game down to find out his value.

List out to me all the players in the league who can do all of the following...

- can defend the 3-5 full time, protect the paint and switch on to perimeter players all at a DPOY level
- can give you 10-12 boards a night
- give you 14-16 points a night, and has range out to 3PT
- can push the ball and create in transition or initiate offense in the half court as a main playmaker, and not like a gimmick, but as a consistent feature in the offense
- has a relentless motor/energy, physically tough, crazy competitor
- is a vocal, emotional leader on court who elevates the mental state of all his teammates

Bernkastel
07-21-2016, 06:31 AM
I've never heard anyone say "I'm going on vacation with Draymond Green."

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-21-2016, 06:39 AM
I used to think he was overrated but he's a legit star level player, just different. His value isn't as simple or straightforward like a Blake Griffin or an Anthony Davis. Just break his game down to find out his value.

- can defend the 3-5 full time, protect the paint and switch on to perimeter players all at a DPOY level
- can push the ball and create in transition or initiate offense in the half court as a main playmaker, and not like a gimmick, but as a consistent feature in the offense
- is a vocal, emotional leader on court who elevates the mental state of all his teammates

:applause: Draygod

DukeDelonte13
07-21-2016, 07:11 AM
I hate the guy but I won't deny he's a phenomenal player. I think he's the real MVP of that warriors team.

keep-itreal
07-21-2016, 07:19 AM
he's not that good really.

He got shut down by Steven Adams. That's why Draymond kicked him in the nuts.

SilkkTheShocker
07-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Is that the dude LeBron pushed around like a rag doll and dragged his nuts over his forehead? :lol

Jasper
07-21-2016, 08:58 AM
The old days , we would call him a gamer.
He hustles , brings up the ball himself , rebounds, defends and has an outside jumper.
And because he is usually camped under the boards a good passer.

I'd want him on my team , but has Rodman mentality, which gets him in trouble.

Jasper
07-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Is that the dude LeBron pushed around like a rag doll and dragged his nuts over his forehead? :lol
Lebron would be the first guy to say he would rather have bytch him on his team than Curry:lol

tpols
07-21-2016, 09:01 AM
he's got the best blend of versatility and nastiness in the league

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
He's a product of the era, where big men have 0 post game, so a talentless scrub can become a star by just hitting a few wide open jumpers every once in a while, and setting illegal screens.

tpols
07-21-2016, 09:34 AM
He's a product of the era, where big men have 0 post game, so a talentless scrub can become a star by just hitting a few wide open jumpers every once in a while, and setting illegal screens.

haha.. thats exactly whan PF's were back in the day.. just brutes out there with no other purpose than moving bodies, maybe grabbing a few boards. They couldn't dribble or shoot like dray, so there was no hope of them being able to slash / pass / finish like he can because the defenders are all sagging off.

Being able to shoot opens the game up you know.. it's a GOOD thing. It draws the defense out more. It makes everything else easier. You guys also cant complain today's era is soft, and green setting illegal screens at the same time lol.. it's one or the other.

PP34Deuce
07-21-2016, 09:46 AM
The perfect 3-4 tweener for todays game. He's basically a slimmer Anthony Mason.

People forget Mason was one of the first players that was an undersized 4 with SF skills to compensate. Green is in that mold.

SilkkTheShocker
07-21-2016, 09:57 AM

A lot of the post players you talk about from the 90s were still really inefficient. Not sure why so many people cream their pants over that era. Basketball was beyond ugly. Big men get bashed in this era for being able to actually shoot beyond 3 feet, and dribble the ball without tripping over their own feet. Hate to break it to you, but Green would be a great player in any era.

keep-itreal
07-21-2016, 10:03 AM
A lot of the post players you talk about from the 90s were still really inefficient. Not sure why so many people cream their pants over that era. Basketball was beyond ugly. Big men get bashed in this era for being able to actually shoot beyond 3 feet, and dribble the ball without tripping over their own feet. Hate to break it to you, but Green would be a great player in any era.

no he wouldn't.

He was a nobody before Kerr came to the Warriors and changed the system that maximized his potential.

Without that, he wouldn't be effective.

Hes a system player

AirBonner
07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
no he wouldn't.

He was a nobody before Kerr came to the Warriors and changed the system that maximized his potential.

Without that, he wouldn't be effective.

Hes a system player
You are giving kerr way too much credit. He was basically handed the keys to a Ferrari. Green would be good regardless...

Young X
07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
He's currently the best defender in the league.

Grabs about 10 boards a game.

Is a high level passer/playmaker.

Is a decent scorer, averaging about 14 a game.

Is an emotional leader.

Is a triple double machine.

I used to dislike him but he impressed me last season. He's the guy that you would love to have on your team because he just helps you win. He does all the little things.

I'll easily take him over some overrated 20+ PPG flashy scorer that might "look" more like a star but doesn't have his impact when it comes to winning.

feyki
07-21-2016, 10:26 AM
All star reserve means nothing. He's currently All NBA offense and defense.

:cletus:

Young X
07-21-2016, 10:46 AM
This season's Warriors were a ridiculous +18.3 with Draymond on the court (highest mark ever recorded) and were -7.3 with him on the bench.

So they were +25.6 better with him on the court than on the bench. That is ABSURD.

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 11:18 AM
:cletus:
easiest way for those to understand when the player was All-NBA defense also.

avonbarksdale
07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
He's currently the best defender in the league.

Grabs about 10 boards a game.

Is a high level passer/playmaker.

Is a decent scorer, averaging about 14 a game.

Is an emotional leader.

Is a triple double machine.

I used to dislike him but he impressed me last season. He's the guy that you would love to have on your team because he just helps you win. He does all the little things.

I'll easily take him over some overrated 20+ PPG flashy scorer that might "look" more like a star but doesn't have his impact when it comes to winning.

so hes the best defender in the league, yet didn't guard bron in the finals?

sammichoffate
07-21-2016, 11:29 AM
so hes the best defender in the league, yet didn't guard bron in the finals?holy shit :lol

ArbitraryWater
07-21-2016, 11:32 AM
holy shit :lol

holy shit what?

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 11:37 AM

Barkley, Malone, Kemp, Rodman, Coleman, Larry Johnson, Kevin Willis. Which is Draymond better than? And that's just the power forwards. Draymond plays center half the time because the Warriors play small ball so much. Imagine him going up against 1990s centers :lol

Draymond is a second round pick for a reason. He is a product of the GS system. You put him on 29 other teams and his value goes down dramatically.

plowking
07-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Barkley, Malone, Kemp, Rodman, Coleman, Larry Johnson, Kevin Willis. Which is Draymond better than? And that's just the power forwards. Draymond plays center half the time because the Warriors play small ball so much. Imagine him going up against 1990s centers :lol

Draymond is a second round pick for a reason. He is a product of the GS system. You put him on 29 other teams and his value goes down dramatically.

It cracks me up when people think big men would be the same or dominate more in today's game. They wouldn't.

Coaches are implementing tactics to draw the big men out, and make them play defense in areas they aren't good at. How well do you honestly think guys like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, etc would do when they have to exert a heap more energy on the defensive side playing mismatches with guards? They were all excellent defenders, but when you have teams simply spamming pick and rolls like todays league trying to get the big man out of the paint, and running him ragged, he simply won't have the energy elsewhere.
They all still put up 25/10 type numbers, but their impact on the game isn't as much IMO.

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 12:14 PM
It cracks me up when people think big men would be the same or dominate more in today's game. They wouldn't.

Coaches are implementing tactics to draw the big men out, and make them play defense in areas they aren't good at. How well do you honestly think guys like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, etc would do when they have to exert a heap more energy on the defensive side playing mismatches with guards? They were all excellent defenders, but when you have teams simply spamming pick and rolls like todays league trying to get the big man out of the paint, and running him ragged, he simply won't have the energy elsewhere.
They all still put up 25/10 type numbers, but their impact on the game isn't as much IMO.

Yea Tim Duncan at 38 and 39 was still a premier defender in this era, but the other greats from other eras would just wither away with the new strategies :facepalm

Take 2 then pass that

plowking
07-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Yea Tim Duncan at 38 and 39 was still a premier defender in this era, but the other greats from other eras would just wither away with the new strategies :facepalm

Take 2 then pass that

Yes, at 38 and 39 he was a great paint protector but not so great at the pick and roll. And hardly an apt comparison, considering Duncan was doing hardly anything on offense apart from being a decoy at this point in his career. He wasn't exerting energy on the offensive end anyway.

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Yes, at 38 and 39 he was a great paint protector but not so great at the pick and roll. And hardly an apt comparison, considering Duncan was doing hardly anything on offense apart from being a decoy at this point in his career. He wasn't exerting energy on the offensive end anyway.

Are you forgetting that he was 38 and 39 years old, an age when throughout the history of basketball, players have drastically lost their abilities? Most players retire by then, but Duncan was still extremely productive.

I can assure you that a large reason for that is the decreased physicality of the modern game. Not banging with post players is much easier on the body.

plowking
07-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Are you forgetting that he was 38 and 39 years old, an age when throughout the history of basketball, players have drastically lost their abilities? Most players retire by then, but Duncan was still extremely productive.

I can assure you that a large reason for that is the decreased physicality of the modern game. Not banging with post players is much easier on the body.

Yeah, that isn't the case. Mainly because it isn't true.

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah, that isn't the case. Mainly because it isn't true.

Just about every NBA player thinks it's less physical. You think you know more than them?

You're holding it too long. Pass that.

Kawhi
07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Someone just said Gaymond Screen is All-NBA offense.

JebronLames
07-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Draymond has more impact than prime Kobe

warriorfan
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Sarcastic is easily one of the worst posters on the forum :oldlol:

Sarcastic
07-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Coming from you, that's a compliment.

TemporaMutantur
07-21-2016, 02:03 PM

You guys are holding down that podium. :rockon: :applause:

Regarding Draymond: There's a certain luxury to having the guy whose guarding the opposition's biggest player being able to grab the board and start the break. He's usually the foundation for those insane Warrior runs. Now with Durant on the team, I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 10 assists a game next season, considering he really doesn't have a bad option in passing it out...
Steph, Klay, Durant... Nasty.

feyki
07-21-2016, 02:08 PM
easiest way for those to understand when the player was All-NBA defense also.

Huh? Do you think all nba is offensive wise award ?

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 04:55 PM
2015-16 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM
Pos. | Player (Team) | 1st team votes | 2nd team votes | 3rd team votes | Total
F | Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder) | 36 | 90 | 2 | 452
F | Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors) | 40 | 74 | 9 | 431
C | DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings) | 32 | 28 | 33 | 277
G | Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers) | 8 | 101 | 10 | 353
G | Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers) | -- | 48 | 73 | 217

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/26/lebron-james-stephen-curry-kawhi-leonard-russell-westbrook-deandre-jordan-lead-2015-16-all-nba-teams-official-release/

lilteapot
07-21-2016, 05:06 PM
I've never heard anyone say "I'm going on vacation with Draymond Green."

lol i came in to say this

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Huh? Do you think all nba is offensive wise award ?
It recognizes the NBA's top players at their position no?

Would you rather be on an All-NBA team or an All-star team?

feyki
07-21-2016, 05:31 PM
It recognizes the NBA's top players at their position no?

Would you rather be on an All-NBA team or an All-star team?

Draymond was sixth in mvp votes , already . But all nba selections includes defence+offence .

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Draymond was sixth in mvp votes , already . But all nba selections includes defence+offence .
No....they are separate.

He currently represents/was named to both, for the 2016 season.

2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM
Player (Team), 1st Team Votes, 2nd Team Votes, Total
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
DeAndre Jordan (L.A. Clippers), 47, 43, 137
Avery Bradley (Boston), 62, 25, 149
Chris Paul (L.A. Clippers), 59, 30, 148

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/25/san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard-unanimous-selection-for-all-defensive-first-team/

feyki
07-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Correct.

But he wasn't top 15 , offensively . His defence was top 3-4 of the league . And a versatile offensive player , like Bill Russell or Pippen . Good offensive force but not solid , let alone one of the top 15 offensive forces in the league .

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 05:57 PM
But he wasn't top 15 , offensively . His defence was top 3-4 of the league . And a versatile offensive player , like Bill Russell or Pippen . Good offensive force but not solid , let alone one of the top 15 offensive forces in the league .
Those who did the voting think he was this past season. By making both teams suggests he's a top player in the league.

2015-16 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM
Pos. | Player (Team) | 1st team votes | 2nd team votes | 3rd team votes | Total
F | Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder) | 36 | 90 | 2 | 452
thid (Golden State Warriors) | 40 | 74 | 9 | 431
C | DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings) | 32 | 28 | 33 | 277
G | Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers) | 8 | 101 | 10 | 353
G | Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers) | -- | 48 | 73 | 217

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/26/l...icial-release/

feyki
07-21-2016, 05:57 PM
No....they are separate.

2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM
Player (Team), 1st Team Votes, 2nd Team Votes, Total
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
DeAndre Jordan (L.A. Clippers), 47, 43, 137
Avery Bradley (Boston), 62, 25, 149
Chris Paul (L.A. Clippers), 59, 30, 148

Wait .. I guess you're confusing a little bit .

Ben Wallace selected for all nba teams 5 times . Think about it .

juju151111
07-21-2016, 06:04 PM

Duncan was the best defender before his knee injury this year at 39 years old. He wasn't a poor P/R defensive player. Imagine a prime Duncan or Hakeem. Tim duncan wasstill averging 18 and 10 at 36 no where close to his prime and was the best player for the spurs in 13,14,15 playoffs. He was 36-39.

Hey Yo
07-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Wait .. I guess you're confusing a little bit .

Ben Wallace selected for all nba teams 5 times . Think about it .
I see what point you're trying to make. Wallace didn't avg. many points but was 1st team due to his rebounding and defense.

To me, All NBA team should be more about offense and obviously All-NBA defense be about strictly defense.

There should be no All-NBA defense since they look at the latter as both offense and defense.

:cheers:

feyki
07-21-2016, 06:11 PM
I see what point you're trying to make. Wallace didn't avg. many points but was 1st team due to his rebounding and defense.

To me, All NBA team should be more about offense and obviously All-NBA defense be about strictly defense.

There should be no All-NBA defense since they look at the latter as both offense and defense.

Exactly .

Dro
07-21-2016, 06:36 PM

This. Well put. :applause:

madmax
07-21-2016, 06:41 PM

:lol :roll:

G-train
07-21-2016, 06:43 PM

All these things but I would like to add genetics... athletic and coordinated 6'7 with a 7 foot wingspan.

Spurs m8
07-21-2016, 07:14 PM

This is what everyone thinks of you.