PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone excited for Mens basketball Olympics?

Knicksfever2010
07-23-2016, 01:03 AM
I have ZERO interest in watching, what say you?

Nilocon165
07-23-2016, 01:07 AM
I'm somewhat interested in seeing how Durant will play with his new teammates.

I'm also excited to watch Kyrie play.

RedBlackAttack
07-23-2016, 10:00 AM
I lost a little interest in the late 90s and early 00s when it seemed like no one could give us a run. Then, everything changed. Ever since we lost to the likes of Argentina and Greece, I've quite enjoyed watching our teams dismsntle the international competition.

I will definitely watch.

IGOTGAME
07-23-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm very excited, just not for the exhibition games (they didn't schedule anyone worth watching).

I'm looking forward to US playing Serbia, France, Lithuania and Spain. Those are the only teams that might be able to stay in the game. Spain had a shot because they have the point guard play but they are down Ibaka and Marc Gasol which is really really going to hurt.

FKAri
07-23-2016, 10:08 AM
2004, 2008, and 2010 I actually followed on a game by game basis. I haven't followed any international event since then except the 2012 final (Pau put in WORK).

Also is it just me or does it seem there are no up and coming international players (from the big basketball countries) of the caliber of the great ones from the 2000's? Where are the next Gasol's and Ginobli's? Argentina seems to have had the same roster for the last 20 years.

IGOTGAME
07-23-2016, 10:36 AM
2004, 2008, and 2010 I actually followed on a game by game basis. I haven't followed any international event since then except the 2012 final (Pau put in WORK).

Also is it just me or does it seem there are no up and coming international players (from the big basketball countries) of the caliber of the great ones from the 2000's? Where are the next Gasol's and Ginobli's? Argentina seems to have had the same roster for the last 20 years.

yea, the top foreign stars don't seem to be from those same couple of countries, but:

Lithuania: Big Daddy V (24)
Greece: Giannis (21)
France: Gobert (23)
Spain: Rubio (25)

the other prospects who look outstanding (Porzingis, Simmons and Wiggins) just aren't from a traditional powerhouses tho

tpols
07-23-2016, 10:39 AM
i'll watch the spain games and maybe greece / lithuania .. but its like watching an all star game where team usa just beats sh!t out of everybody, no competition makes this stuff hard to watch

SpaceJam
07-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Aus on the come up, step off fakits

IGOTGAME
07-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Aus on the come up, step off fakits

is Simmons going to play for them?

Sakkreth
07-23-2016, 11:30 AM
i'll watch the spain games and maybe greece / lithuania .. but its like watching an all star game where team usa just beats sh!t out of everybody, no competition makes this stuff hard to watch

Greece did not qualify.

Achilleas
07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
the last team that won usa was my county GREECE
spanoulis :banana: :pimp:
diamantidis
big sofo
papaloukas
visilopoulos
dikoudis
fotsis
xatsivretas
zisis
papadopoulos
kakiouzis
tsartsaris

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm very excited, just not for the exhibition games (they didn't schedule anyone worth watching).

I'm looking forward to US playing Serbia, France, Lithuania and Spain. Those are the only teams that might be able to stay in the game. Spain had a shot because they have the point guard play but they are down Ibaka and Marc Gasol which is really really going to hurt.

Spain has Sergio Rodriguez and Sergio Llull as their only decent guards. Rodriguez can't play a lick of defense, and Llull is used as a SG....

If you are talking about Calderon and Rubio....they are probably two of the worst players on any well known European national team.

Navarro retired from basketball about 2 years ago...he does nothing but take up space on any team.

Rudy, in 2014-15 season, did not do much of anything, and in 2015-16 season, almost became an ex player. Besides, these days he is only healthy for about 1/3 of the time, as he has piled up a ton of serious injuries.

Rudy, Navarro, and Calderon are basically total shells of what they were even 2 years ago.

Spain has fairly weak guard play overall, as far as good European national teams are concerned. The level of the guard play is greatly diminished from 2008 Olympics, or even from 2012 Olympics. Unless they plan on playing Rodriguez and Llull each like 35 minutes a game. Even then, Rodriguez is a liability on defense.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 12:44 PM
yea, the top foreign stars don't seem to be from those same couple of countries, but:

the other prospects who look outstanding (Porzingis, Simmons and Wiggins) just aren't from a traditional powerhouses tho

WTF? Rubio and Giannis are two of the worst players in any European national team.

Giannis was by far the worst player Greece had this summer.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 12:47 PM
the last team that won usa was my county GREECE
spanoulis :banana: :pimp:
diamantidis
big sofo
papaloukas
visilopoulos
dikoudis
fotsis
xatsivretas
zisis
papadopoulos
kakiouzis
tsartsaris

It's too bad for Zisis in his career, that he was injured by that asshole Varejao, and didn't get to play in that game.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 12:50 PM

Greece is not playing at the Olympics.

Giannis went,

3/14 FG
0/7 3 PT FG

with 6 turnovers in the qualification game against Croatia, and caused Greece to fail to make the Olympics.

Box Score:

http://www.fiba.com/oqt/italy/2016/0807/Greece-Croatia#|tab=boxscore_statistics

Stringer Bell
07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
I'm not "excited" about it but I'll still watch it. I'm probably looking forward to Bolt in the 100 and 200 meter the most.

IGOTGAME
07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Spain has Sergio Rodriguez and Sergio Llull as their only decent guards. Rodriguez can't play a lick of defense, and Llull is used as a SG....

If you are talking about Calderon and Rubio....they are probably two of the worst players on any well known European national team.

Navarro retired from basketball about 2 years ago...he does nothing but take up space on any team.

Rudy, in 2014-15 season did not do much of anything, and in 2015-16 season, almost became an ex player. Besides, these days he is only healthy for about 1/3 of the time, as he has piled up a ton of serious injuries.

Rudy, Navarro, and Calderon are basically total shells of what they were even 2 years ago.

Spain has fairly weak guard play overall, as far as good European national teams are concerned. The level of the guard play is greatly diminished from 2008 Olympics, or even from 2012 Olympics. Unless they plan on playing Rodriguez and Llull each like 35 minutes a game. Even then, Rodriguez is a liability on defense.

interesting, I haven't watched much of Spainish basketball lately but this sounds right. Calderon is bad but Rubio is a good player. Sounds like they may just be too old.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 12:59 PM
interesting, I haven't watched much of Spainish basketball lately but this sounds right. Calderon is bad but Rubio is a good player. Sounds like they may just be too old.

In FIBA basketball, not being able to shoot is a fatal flaw to any player. Giannis (along with Calathes - who also can't shoot) was the biggest liability Greece had the last 2 years because of that. Rubio is the biggest liability Spain has every time he plays with them because of that.

Not being able to shoot in the current NBA is an issue for perimeter players. Not being able to shoot if you are a perimeter player in FIBA makes you a huge detriment to your team.

Spain would be much better off without Rubio.

I look at Spain's roster.....

Navarro - old, useless player at this point, that should have retired 2 years ago.

Rudy - a ton of injuries, can't stay healthy, has lost most of his athletic ability, basically just about a former player now.

Calderon - old and totally washed up has been.

San Emeterio - an old and washed up has been, that has not been good since about 6 years ago.

Reyes - old. Not washed up yet, he can still play and contribute, but at this point, he is good for 10 or maybe 15 minutes only.

Rubio - can't shoot and can't score, which are fatal flaws under FIBA rules (just look at what Giannis did to Greece).

Then even among some of Spain's best players,

Rodriguez - can't guard anyone.

Mirotic - softest big man to ever play in Euroleague.

This Spanish team is definitely worse by quite a bit than the 2012 Spanish team, and it's miles worse than that 2008 Spanish team.

alenleomessi
07-23-2016, 01:09 PM

none of those have done anything internationally except for maybe rubio (although never a main player on spain)

Saric (22) is already croatia's best player and leader and took them to the Olympics while outplaying good nba players in giannis and gallinari.. kid played like 38mins a game

IGOTGAME
07-23-2016, 01:45 PM
none of those have done anything internationally except for maybe rubio (although never a main player on spain)

Saric (22) is already croatia's best player and leader and took them to the Olympics while outplaying good nba players in giannis and gallinari.. kid played like 38mins a game

I'm interested in Saric, think he is coming into a bad situation in Philly but seems talented. Can't wait to watch a full game.

We'll see about the others...for many this will be their first time to make an imprint on the Olympics

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Saric is not Croatia's best player yet. He has a chance to be. But right now Bodganovic and Simon are clearly Croatia's two best players.

I really like Saric, but as usual, he signs an NBA contract and he suddenly becomes mega overrated as compared to his actual current level.

Saric is Croatia's 3rd best player. He just seems to stand out from that group mentioned, because Giannis is Greece's worst player pretty much, and Rubio is like a ghost whenever he plays for Spain. Making Saric being Croatia's 3rd best player seem to be out of this world as a comparison to Giannis and Rubio in FIBA play.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm interested in Saric, think he is coming into a bad situation in Philly but seems talented. Can't wait to watch a full game.

We'll see about the others...for many this will be their first time to make an imprint on the Olympics

You won't see Giannis in the Olympics (at least not until 2020). He caused Greece to get eliminated, with his awful play.

FireDavidKahn
07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Not this year.

Sakkreth
07-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Well Greece despite having enough talent to be in the olympics but not being there is a combination of a mess in the national team and hard qualifying bracket. Anyways after USA next tier teams are all european. Venezuela winning fiba americas twice in a row must be a joke.

Euroleague
07-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Well Greece despite having enough talent to be in the olympics but not being there is a combination of a mess in the national team and hard qualifying bracket. Anyways after USA next tier teams are all european. Venezuela winning fiba americas twice in a row must be a joke.

I don't think a team like Puerto Rico would have won a single game in EuroBasket in like the last 8 years. They are considered a "power" in Americas region.

Anyway, Greece is not in the Olympics because Giannis made about 5 stupid plays in a row at the end of the game against Spain last summer (caused Greece to lose the chance to qualify).....

Then Giannis played the worst game anyone ever played in a Greek uniform since I have been alive against Croatia this summer in the qualification game (again causing Greece to lose).

Not to mention that last summer in the game against Latvia that was to decide who got to go to the qualification tournament, Giannis also played a horrifically bad game, and Greece had to bench him the 2nd half just to win that game, after they had like a 15 point deficit, due to his horrible play.

Greece would have been in the Olympics, if they just left Giannis home.

Hoopz2332
07-23-2016, 07:02 PM

same here

smoovegittar
07-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Not excited, but may tune in. Just get 'em home healthy.

Sakkreth
07-23-2016, 07:54 PM
I don't think a team like Puerto Rico would have won a single game in EuroBasket in like the last 8 years. They are considered a "power" in Americas region.

Anyway, Greece is not in the Olympics because Giannis made about 5 stupid plays in a row at the end of the game against Spain last summer (caused Greece to lose the chance to qualify).....

Then Giannis played the worst game anyone ever played in a Greek uniform since I have been alive against Croatia this summer in the qualification game (again causing Greece to lose).

Not to mention that last summer in the game against Latvia that was to decide who got to go to the qualification tournament, Giannis also played a horrifically bad game, and Greece had to bench him the 2nd half just to win that game, after they had like a 15 point deficit, due to his horrible play.

He could have been good role player for Greece, he was just used wrong. He's not someone who should be the the main piece of team's offense. He's not as bad as you say, but Greece using him like a star player was still hilarious and sad at the same time.

Swaggin916
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
There are a couple games I would be interested to watch but even against Full strength France/Brazil and Spain the US would have to play terrible to lose. There needs to be another team with 3 legit stars. If Spain had just one more to go along with the Gasol's they would be a legit threat to beat USA straight up. If they had a gaird or wing player who could isolate and create then damn. They can all play the whole gme in FIBA so the US having all these guys is kinda whatever... but nobody has a killer combo starting that is really a threat.

gabepizza
07-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Again here to expose Euroleague's lies. So PR would not have won a single game in Eurobasket? Well they only eliminated Latvia (8th place out of 24 teams in Eurobasket) in the knockout phase of the Olympic qualifying tournament :facepalm