PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Finals Closeout Quadruple Double

ninephive
07-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Has anyone done a thread about the 2 blocks they didn't record in Duncan's G6 in the 2003 Finals? I was there and remember tracking it with the stat board at the game. Once he had 5 in the first half, we started keeping track and remember even that night saying they must have missed 2 blocks because we counted 10.

They are at the 5:38 & 5:58 marks in this video:

https://youtu.be/nejQMtkyLgY

ScalsFan21
07-24-2016, 06:07 PM
I was more focused on us blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter and I was fuming. That was absolutely herculean by Duncan that game (and that year), but especially in retrospect it makes me so mad we didn't close that out to at least force a Game 7. Even if we lost it would've felt like we gave you guys all you could handle, instead that team is (rightfully) remembered as a group that just never could've beaten the best of the west. Underrated series.

That was one of the best closeout performances by a superstar, yeah... but that happens with blocks and even steals often being ignored or inaccurately scored... still basically a QD. It's made even more insane that he did that in a championship winning game since I don't believe it's been done since.

ninephive
07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I was more focused on us blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter and I was fuming. That was absolutely herculean by Duncan that game (and that year), but especially in retrospect it makes me so mad we didn't close that out to at least force a Game 7. Even if we lost it would've felt like we gave you guys all you could handle, instead that team is (rightfully) remembered as a group that just never could've beaten the best of the west. Underrated series.

That was one of the best closeout performances by a superstar, yeah... but that happens with blocks and even steals often being ignored or inaccurately scored... still basically a QD. It's made even more insane that he did that in a championship winning game since I don't believe it's been done since.
Yah, you guys had us on the ropes going into the 4th. Somehow you guys went ice cold for a stretch (I think it was a 19-0 run). I felt your pain in 2013, when we had the Heat down 10 going into the 4th of game 6.