PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons comparisons

hateraid
07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
The popular choices would be Lebron James, Lamar Odom, or Boris Diaw. But the more I have watched the kid the more I see a traditional PG. What throws people off is his size, so people automatically draw that comparison right away. But if I were to draw skillset comparison the player that comes to mind right now and I see more and more of it is Mark Jackson from the Pacers and Knicks. With more of a ceiling of a Kidd or Magic Johnson.

Simmons has come off more of a passer who can score. And he gets his assists with more fluidity of the game rather than the home run pass. He's got that package like Jackson's. Fluid passing, strong post up, never a very strong 3 point shooter but potential to come along, and an awesome on ball defender. He can score if called upon and has an effective drive. Doesn't need to be a go to scorer to be effective. Can he elevate to Kidd or Magic? Hard to say since they can control a full game on the premise of passing alone. But he has the tools.

If he's a 6'10 athletic version of Mark Jackson, then I'm F'n stoked. Keep Okafor and let them develop together. Can't wait to see

Prime_Shaq
07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
The popular choices would be Lebron James, Lamar Odom, or Boris Diaw. But the more I have watched the kid the more I see a traditional PG. What throws people off is his size, so people automatically draw that comparison right away. But if I were to draw skillset comparison the player that comes to mind right now and I see more and more of it is Mark Jackson from the Pacers and Knicks. With more of a ceiling of a Kidd or Magic Johnson.

Simmons has come off more of a passer who can score. And he gets his assists with more fluidity of the game rather than the home run pass. He's got that package like Jackson's. Fluid passing, strong post up, never a very strong 3 point shooter but potential to come along, and an awesome on ball defender. He can score if called upon and has an effective drive. Doesn't need to be a go to scorer to be effective. Can he elevate to Kidd or Magic? Hard to say since they can control a full game on the premise of passing alone. But he has the tools.

If he's a 6'10 athletic version of Mark Jackson, then I'm F'n stoked. Keep Okafor and let them develop together. Can't wait to see
I saw this too, quite impressive. However, I will reserve my judgement till maybe midway through the season to see how he transitions into the pro game.

hateraid
07-26-2016, 08:46 PM
I saw this too, quite impressive. However, I will reserve my judgement till maybe midway through the season to see how he transitions into the pro game.

But you can also see the skillset is there. Regardless if he reaches expectations the skillset he's displayed shows more of a traditional PG than a Point Forward. He's more in the mold of a Mark Jackson than a Lamar Odom. He's fluid in his decision making instead of spectacular. which is why I think we can stock up on more shooting guards that have slashing ability and range over a traditional PG. Simmons can play the PG in transition and PF in defensive transition.

Human Error
07-27-2016, 07:09 AM
Grant Hill, Billy Owens and Willie Anderson.

hateraid
07-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Grant Hill, Billy Owens and Willie Anderson.
Meh, they're versatile forwards buy not the PG instincts pass first type. Plus those guys were scorers.