PDA

View Full Version : Why not Duncan for GOAT?

knicksman
07-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I have never seen a player as stiff as him becoming a superstar let alone win 5 rings and The guy is a 7 footer yet plays below the rim.

he also won in a small market. 5 rings is the best for small markets while you have boston, lakers winning 15+ then chicago 6.

And he won 5 in a more stacked league compared to the watered down 90s

feyki
07-29-2016, 07:26 PM
He's the greatest since Jordan .

Smoke117
07-29-2016, 07:40 PM
1999 is still part of the 90s and by far the weakest season as far as quality teams. 2003? LOL the early 2000s are even weaker than the 90s. The league wasn't particularly "stacked" as you say in 2005 either for that matter.

Doctor K
07-29-2016, 07:44 PM
1999 is still part of the 90s and by far the weakest season as far as quality teams. 2003? LOL the early 2000s are even weaker than the 90s. The league wasn't particularly "stacked" as you say in 2005 either for that matter.
bruh he won in 3 different decades and somehow you still are using the when he won against him

Smoke117
07-29-2016, 07:46 PM
bruh he won in 3 different decades and somehow you still are using the when he won against him

I'm not using anything against him...this dumb ass knicksman is trying to say that when Duncan was winning his rings the league was stacked compared to the 90s...that's just not true for most of the Spurs championships. The league wasn't any better in 99 and 2003 than it was in the rest of the 90s...definitely weaker compared to the early 90s.

jayfan
07-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Greatest what since Jordan what?

jayfan
07-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I have never seen a player as stiff as him becoming a superstar let alone win 5 rings and The guy is a 7 footer yet plays below the rim.

he also won in a small market. 5 rings is the best for small markets while you have boston, lakers winning 15+ then chicago 6.

All of which may mean he's in the running for GOAOAT*, but not GOAT.

* Greatest Over-Achiever Of All Time

Cold soul
07-29-2016, 08:48 PM

You most definitely can make that case for Duncan.

Cold soul
07-29-2016, 08:52 PM
All of which may mean he's in the running for GOAOAT*, but not GOAT.

* Greatest Over-Achiever Of All Time

Duncan was Bill Russell of his era a winner that won close to three decades in the NBA the ultimate teammate to have on your team.

j3lademaster
07-29-2016, 08:53 PM

And he won 5 in a more stacked league compared to the watered down 90sSorry, you don't get browny points for being a "stiff" or being unathletic or unskilled or small. Your impact on the court is what it is.

Oh, and Duncan moved incredibly well for a 7footer and definitely did not play below the rim.

Cold soul
07-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Sorry, you don't get browny points for being a "stiff" or being unathletic or unskilled or small. Your impact on the court is what it is.

Oh, and Duncan moved incredibly well for a 7footer and definitely did not play below the rim.

How do you rank three careers of Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe?

j3lademaster
07-29-2016, 08:57 PM
How do you rank three careers of Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe?
duncan, kobe, then shaq purely based on careers.

Ben Simmons
07-29-2016, 09:03 PM
"Won 5 in a stacked league"

No he didnt.

The reason Duncan isnt the GOAT isnt that he didnt play at the level of someone like Jordan for 6 championships. Jordan is by far the greatest. Obviously the next few GOAT candidates are Wilt, Russell, and perhaps Kareem.

knicksman
07-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Sorry, you don't get browny points for being a "stiff" or being unathletic or unskilled or small. Your impact on the court is what it is.

But goat rankings is based on who you respect the most and duncan imo is the player who overcame a bigger hurdle than other players

Ben Simmons
07-29-2016, 09:25 PM
But goat rankings is based on who you respect the most and duncan imo is the player who overcame a bigger hurdle than other players
No, GOAT rankings are based on who was the best on the court. Respect has nothing to do with it.

jayfan
07-29-2016, 09:26 PM

What?

knicksman
07-29-2016, 09:40 PM
What?

Hes won more with less. Its like lebron winning 5 but kobe still more respected coz he never cheated. The main purpose of winning is to be respected. And duncan despite all the disadvantages he had, still won 5 and so he should be the most respected and ultimately the GOAT

Cold soul
07-29-2016, 10:13 PM
duncan, kobe, then shaq purely based on careers.

Yes careers body of work not peak or prime play.

SecondTake
07-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Hes won more with less. Its like lebron winning 5 but kobe still more respected coz he never cheated. The main purpose of winning is to be respected. And duncan despite all the disadvantages he had, still won 5 and so he should be the most respected and ultimately the GOAT

This is agonizingly stupid.

K.dot ShowTime
07-30-2016, 12:02 PM

:applause:

keep-itreal
07-30-2016, 12:18 PM
because he's 5/6

and the GOAT is 6/6

tpols
07-30-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm not using anything against him...this dumb ass knicksman is trying to say that when Duncan was winning his rings the league was stacked compared to the 90s...that's just not true for most of the Spurs championships. The league wasn't any better in 99 and 2003 than it was in the rest of the 90s...definitely weaker compared to the early 90s.

Duncan had to go through peak Laker, Mavs, Suns teams .. seeing some combo of shaq, kobe, dirk, garnett, nash etc every year .. thats plenty of competition. Then later in his career having to contend with Dwayne Wade, Lebron James and his super teams, OKC w/ WB and KD .. Duncan has seen a as much variety and strength of competition as perhaps any all time great to ever play the game.. consistently being matched up against top 10 all time guys w/ great help. gtfo smoke.

NLZ
07-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Because he has the same career averages as Zach Randolph, Kevin Love etc.

thefatmiral
07-30-2016, 01:03 PM
He wasn't that far off. But people would never put him in that great of a category because he didn't have the inflated offensive stats. And he never took a team back to back. He would be higher though if gino didn't cost him a fmvp at 37.

greatest-ever
07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Having Duncan as the goat isn't a crazy idea, although speaking for myself i tend to think his prime or peak was clearly worse than a guy like Mj, Kareem, Wilt or Lebron, so i could never see him as the GOAT. If you value longevity a ton, then i could see the argument but even then you have Kareem who had equal or better longevity, as well as having a higher peak and more accolades. Again i can see his case but i don't think it's a strong one by any means.

greatest-ever
07-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Because he has the same career averages as Zach Randolph, Kevin Love etc.
That's a pretty disingenuous statement since Duncan destroys both as a defensive player, and kills Randolph in efficieny. And on top of that has played a lot longer. Very stupid comment from you.

Lebron23
07-31-2016, 07:54 AM
doesn't have the stats. You are the GOAT if you won multiple finals MVP.

rmt
07-31-2016, 08:45 AM
doesn't have the stats. You are the GOAT if you won multiple finals MVP.

What? Duncan has 3 FMVPs.

Lebron23
07-31-2016, 08:47 AM
What? Duncan has 3 FMVPs.

At least 5 Finals MVP. He's top 5 or top 6 in my book.

Spurs5Rings2014
07-31-2016, 09:59 AM

:applause:

soots
07-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Its subjective and to me hes top 3 with Russel MJ.

Small market team Ring - check
3 Decades - check
4 different situations - check
solo ring - check
best team in pro-sports - check
beat and retired Lakers superteam with 2x top 10 GOAT - check
beat and retired Heat superteam - check

bizil
08-01-2016, 08:34 PM
GOAT status factors:

Solo Accolades
Team Accolades
Numbers
Peak Value
Longevity being great
Impact on the league (redefining a position, causing rules changes, globalizing the game,etc.)

When u add all these factors up NO WAY is Duncan the GOAT. In my opinion, the top 4 are MJ, Kareem, Russ, and Magic. But the next six spots are very interchangeable in how u could rank it. So at best, I see Tim in the top 5 or 6.

k0kakw0rld
08-01-2016, 08:57 PM

People are scared to admit it but he is a lock for TOP 5

KAJ
MJ
BRON
RUSSELL (popular vote)
DUNCAN
---------------------
Wilt
Magic
Bird
Shaq
---------------------
Big Oscar
Olajuwon

BarberSchool
08-01-2016, 09:03 PM

And he won 5 in a more stacked league compared to the watered down 90sBecause he was never the consensus most dominant player on BOTH ends of the floor for his entire era.

You facetious troll.

Kenomax
08-02-2016, 05:20 AM
Not enough from Duncan to be GOAT, but I have him at 7 so he's top 5 runner.

Spurs5Rings2014
08-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Its subjective and to me hes top 3 with Russel MJ.

Small market team Ring - check
3 Decades - check
4 different situations - check
solo ring - check
best team in pro-sports - check
beat and retired Lakers superteam with 2x top 10 GOAT - check
beat and retired Heat superteam - check

:cheers: