PDA

View Full Version : Upside and downside of the new Warriors

insidehoops
07-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Now with Kevin Durant, what do you think the best the Warriors can do is (reg season wins, playoff prediction) etc. and what can possibly go wrong? What issues do you see with the roster? Talent doesn't automatically mesh. Incredible players on paper don't always work out quite the way we'd think chemistry-wise.

What do you see as the probable upside and downside's of the Warriors with Barnes and Bogut gone but Kevin Durant and Zaza Pachulia in their place? (And old David West there too)

Real Cavs Fan
07-31-2016, 04:12 PM
They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry. They are still a live by the 3 and die by the 3 team. After Kevin Durant did his share of choking during the last playoffs who is to say that he would of made a difference? Golden State is still a soft team mentally and physically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Cavs can take it to them next season.

hold this L
07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry. They are still a live by the 3 and die by the 3 team. After Kevin Durant did his share of choking during the last playoffs who is to say that he would of made a difference? Golden State is still a soft team mentally and physically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Cavs can take it to them next season.
They're prob the GOAT comeback team in RS last year and came back from 3-1 vs OKC. They're definitely not weak mentally.

Problem is chemistry. And if Durant is ok not being the guy at times during the game, because I don't see Curry handing the keys of the team to Durant. One because it's been his team for years, and the other he is the better player. Keeping egos in check will be a task, though not sure how big because all 4 of them are focused on winning. They will win less than the 73 win season, but I'm pretty confident they will win the chip on their first attempt together. :pimp: The 3 Warrior stars from last year will have a point to prove. Just no injuries (to any big teams, not just Warriors), we want to see the best of the best play one another.

k0kakw0rld
07-31-2016, 04:28 PM
First round exit vs OKC (Westbrook version) :pimp:

Called it here first :cheers:

Fire Colangelo
07-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Upside is obviously the fact that you'll have a team of all stars. Both Curry and Durant will be the best player on the floor at all times playing against every team other than the Cavs.

Downside is depth/chemistry - which could worsen if an injury were to occur to any of their key players.

Mr Feeny
07-31-2016, 04:55 PM
While their depth is worse than it was last year, does it matter that much? Their starting 5 is probably the greatest in nba history. They're going to eviscerate whoever they come across and rest for the final quarter.

I think they learned from their lesson last year and won't necessarily go at 110% for the regular season record. Having said that, I don't see them getting anything less than 68 wins. They're too good not to. Sacrificing your bench to get a Kevin Durant is the right move 10 times out of 10 imo.

AirBonner
07-31-2016, 05:54 PM
While their depth is worse than it was last year, does it matter that much? Their starting 5 is probably the greatest in nba history. They're going to eviscerate whoever they come across and rest for the final quarter.

I think they learned from their lesson last year and won't necessarily go at 110% for the regular season record. Having said that, I don't see them getting anything less than 68 wins. They're too good not to. Sacrificing your bench to get a Kevin Durant is the right move 10 times out of 10 imo.
That's the thing. Even last year didn't their starters sit the most 4th quarter minutes? Games will be over by halftime :lol

Bankaii
07-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Upside is obvious.

Downside is that they added yet another jump shooter that has a history of choking in important moments when his jumper isn't falling. They still have no inside presence whatsoever.

But I guess when you have 4 All-NBA players, 2 DPOY worthy defenders, and arguably the 3 best shooters in the league none of that really matters...

TylerOO
07-31-2016, 06:09 PM
There is no downside. Don't even try to spin it.

Jasper
08-01-2016, 10:06 AM
I think they are a Bytch team showing penal's in the off season.

Durant a puzzy so he fits in.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

BarberSchool
08-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Upside: Spacing, scoring. Even their 4th option is deadly.

Downside: defense. screening. They lost their big dudes who provided both elite-ly.

The big question will be, if they have no rim protection, and are giving up 110+ points per game, is their offense gonna average 120ppg to compensate?

The answer is: depends on how screens are called and how well they can quell penetration.

BarberSchool
08-01-2016, 10:31 AM
First round exit vs OKC (Westbrook version) :pimp:

Called it here first :cheers:You're either a horrible comic (excusable).
or a delusional fan of the most selfish f@ggy superstar in modern times (not as excusable).

Haymaker
08-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Upside? Talented young core. GOAT perimeter shooting starting lineup. Unselfish players with finals/championship/CF experience.

Downside? Their core will eat up most of the salary cap. Lost the best bench in the league, lost Bogut/defensive anchor. Basically their defense took the hardest hit.

Chemistry issues won't allow them to win this year. They will win the next couple of years though.

D. Toretto
08-01-2016, 10:56 AM
No 73 win season, weaker bench but if they make it to the finals with no injuries, the chip will wait. :bowdown:
Defense is also a question mark for me. Can't really anticipate how well they'll do on the defensive end without Bogut.

HurricaneKid
08-01-2016, 11:39 AM
They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry.

No. They struggled in 2012 because they were starting the corpse of Z/Dampier/Joel Anthony at the 5, none of whom were NBA caliber bigs, and Arroyo/corpse of Bibby (who was released) at the 1. Starting 2 non NBA players is disastrous as opposing teams just pick on them. It wasn't until they added Battier and RayRay that they were able to put complete teams on the floor.

Golden State has more than a complete lineup. They have 4 All NBA players PLUS Iggy. Plus Zaza. Plus DWest. Plus .... well you get the idea. There aren't a lot of weaknesses there.

BarberSchool
08-01-2016, 12:46 PM
No. They struggled in 2012 because they were starting the corpse of Z/Dampier/Joel Anthony at the 5, none of whom were NBA caliber bigs, and Arroyo/corpse of Bibby (who was released) at the 1. Starting 2 non NBA players is disastrous as opposing teams just pick on them. It wasn't until they added Battier and RayRay that they were able to put complete teams on the floor.

Golden State has more than a complete lineup. They have 4 All NBA players PLUS Iggy. Plus Zaza. Plus DWest. Plus .... well you get the idea. There aren't a lot of weaknesses there.Zaza nor Dwest provide any real rim protection. Just solid Fouls in the place where Bogut provided changed/altered shots (leading to lower percentages and frustration of opponent), and blocked shots (resulting in 0% mad eon those attempts, and in starting fast breaks).

Also, regarding screens. Dwest and Zaza can physically set some big damn screens, but my earlier question is: how will those two players be officiated? They tend to be less artful or subtle (and more brutal and forceful in an attempt to intimaidate mano e mano) in setting huge screens, when compared to the even larger screens of who shipped out.

Nezty
08-01-2016, 12:54 PM

And if injuries occur? Lack of depth will effect the team.

HurricaneKid
08-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Zaza nor Dwest provide any real rim protection. Just solid Fouls in the place where Bogut provided changed/altered shots (leading to lower percentages and frustration of opponent), and blocked shots (resulting in 0% mad eon those attempts, and in starting fast breaks).

Also, regarding screens. Dwest and Zaza can physically set some big damn screens, but my earlier question is: how will those two players be officiated? They tend to be less artful or subtle (and more brutal and forceful in an attempt to intimaidate mano e mano) in setting huge screens, when compared to the even larger screens of who shipped out.

Agreed. And who on Cle provided rim protection? There are VERY few rim protectors that can hedge and play the PnR at the 3 pt line. Teams are drawing the rim defenders away from the basket with increasing frequency which is why in 11 Finals games the last two years Bogut was only playing 11 min/gm.

Golden State's closing lineup of Curry; Klay; Iggy; KD; Dray is almost without a doubt the best lineup ever. They have imposing, physical players that can play in games where the opposition tries to muddy up the game. Which is really the only way teams will be able to compete.

And West and Zaza both fit incredibly well as they are both elite passers at their positions.

This team is NOTHING like the 2011 Heat who had GAPING holes everywhere Wade/LBJ/Bosh weren't. This Warriors team doesn't. Which is entirely the point.

J Shuttlesworth
08-01-2016, 01:32 PM
There's a big difference. Bosh/Wade/LeBron had never played a single game together. Curry/Green/Thompson already have been playing together for their careers and are adding a piece to the mix. It's not quite the same as starting a brand new tea.

G0ATbe
08-01-2016, 01:48 PM
It'll be a tough change up to endure and i'd be shocked if they go all the way. Their bench is awful.

Jasper
08-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Upside = All the Warriors will try to twit their diCk's on facebook

Downside- they will act like bytchs and act like morons, :confusedshrug:

LostCause
08-01-2016, 09:52 PM
The upside is immense. Durants addition probably won't be as significant in the RS as it will be in the PS, where the Warriors will have another elite playmaker and scorer, making it extremely difficult for defenses to slow them down. Having two players who each require the whole team's attention to defend will be scary in the playoffs

Downside is that frustration sets in. Green is pretty volatile and he'll definitely lose some of his ballhandling and scoring opportunities with Durant, something he made a fuss of during the RS. There's also the idea of diminishing returns to worry about, as like Harden said, there's still just one basketball