PDA

View Full Version : The DC Cinematic Universe

Nilocon165
08-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Listen, I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet, so I don't have much say in whether it's good or not, but why the f.uck can't these idiots at Warnerbros make a good dc movie? Marvel can just dig a unknown random character out that nobody knows, and turn it into a 80+ on rotten tomatoes financial success.

To be fair, Wonder Women, Flash, and Aquaman all have potential to be good, but if your first 3 movies involve Batman, Superman, Joker and you STILL can't get a fresh rating, you're doing something extremely wrong. I thought it was Snyder, but no, apparently Ayer failed as well.

Atleast the Nolan films exist.

Nick Young
08-02-2016, 03:48 PM
It has to do with the source material.

Apart from Batman, the DC characters are lame and stupid.

Batman is just such an awesome character it is impossible to make a bad movie with him.

Even the one with Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy was entertaining.

Super Man? Green Lantern? Flash? Lame characters with cool powers.

Wonder Woman? She is cool but mainly because she is hot.

DC comics are LAME apart from batman. The only reason that company is still in business is because of Batman.

The world didn't want or need a DC cinematic universe.

A Batman cinematic universe based only on Batman and stories in Gotham would be better. Robin, Cat Woman, Harley Quinn, they could have done Commissioner Gordan detective noire movies where Batman is only in the background, they could make a crime movie like Goodfellas about a kid rising up in Joker's gang, it could have been good.

A Batman cinematic universe is good. A DC cinematic universe is lame by default.

Derka
08-02-2016, 03:54 PM
Because DC is so f*cking hardcore, gritty and realistic and shit, bro.

Obviously Americans who have no interest in watching Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne stare longingly at each other and speak in clipped passive-aggressive statements for over 100 minutes of screen time before anything of consequence happens while Lex Luthor delivers boring dialogue while physically quivering at levels that put him somewhere between excessive caffeine intake and an intense orgasm just can't handle all the grit and realism.

Nilocon165
08-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Been at 34 on RT for awhile now:facepalm

Bobcats2013
08-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Been at 34 on RT for awhile now:facepalm

dont base it off overall scroes fam. pick and choose the critics who have similar taste to u.
alot of these "crtics" now are easily swayyed and have agendas.

but to answer ur question, they tryin to find their identity. they wanna be gritty like nolan but they dont wanna copy marvel either. then they all end up bein try hards too. thats why the editing and pacing of all these movies phucking sucks.

btw i wouldnt get hyped up for wonder woman. no confirmed main villain yet the credible rumors are fading dawg. we might get a 2 hr jim kirk love story

Facepalm
08-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Just wait until Man of Steel com..

Just wait until Batman vs Superman comes o...

Just wait until Suicide Squad comes ou...

Just wait until Wonder Woman comes out!! It will kill the Marvel movies!!!!

Nilocon165
08-02-2016, 06:43 PM
dont base it off overall scroes fam. pick and choose the critics who have similar taste to u.
alot of these "crtics" now are easily swayyed and have agendas.

but to answer ur question, they tryin to find their identity. they wanna be gritty like nolan but they dont wanna copy marvel either. then they all end up bein try hards too. thats why the editing and pacing of all these movies phucking sucks.

btw i wouldnt get hyped up for wonder woman. no confirmed main villain yet the credible rumors are fading dawg. we might get a 2 hr jim kirk love story
I know the villian.

I actually know a bit more about this movie than I think I should lol.

And about your critics with same taste comment, I actually just watched a Jeremy Jahns review of it (Who had very similar opinions with me on the force awakens) and he loved it so I'm pretty excited again.

Im Still Ballin
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
DC still mops up Marvel easily in the all-time rankings

Facepalm
08-02-2016, 06:54 PM
DC still mops up Marvel easily in the all-time rankings

Sure, because DC existed for decades before Marvel. In the Modern Age (the only one that really applies to us because most of weren't alive before that) Marvel has consistently owned DC.

Bobcats2013
08-02-2016, 07:04 PM
And about your critics with same taste comment, I actually just watched a Jeremy Jahns review of it (Who had very similar opinions with me on the force awakens) and he loved it so I'm pretty excited again.

jeremy is a great reviewer of popculture films fam. i wouldnt trust the nikka ever with oscar bait :oldlol: but u got a right to be excited no doubt

DeuceWallaces
08-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Just wait until Man of Steel com..

Just wait until Batman vs Superman comes o...

Just wait until Suicide Squad comes ou...

Just wait until Wonder Woman comes out!! It will kill the Marvel movies!!!!

Wonderwoman does look good AND her limited time in BvS were the only good parts.

Lebron23
08-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Justice League is going to be a great movie. I love Jason Momoa's Aquaman.

IcanzIIravor
08-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Listen, I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet, so I don't have much say in whether it's good or not, but why the f.uck can't these idiots at Warnerbros make a good dc movie? Marvel can just dig a unknown random character out that nobody knows, and turn it into a 80+ on rotten tomatoes financial success.

To be fair, Wonder Women, Flash, and Aquaman all have potential to be good, but if your first 3 movies involve Batman, Superman, Joker and you STILL can't get a fresh rating, you're doing something extremely wrong. I thought it was Snyder, but no, apparently Ayer failed as well.

Atleast the Nolan films exist.

I think they want to be different, but then they see the bank Marvel is making and can't resist trying to do some of that. I heard they did reshoots for Suicide Squad to add more humour when it was going to be darker and grittier. I think they need to make up their mind what type of Universe they want to portray. If they want it to be darker and more 'realistic' that the Marvel Universe then they need to stick to that. I think they need better writing and directing as well. It astounds me they can consistently be good at cartoons and the small screen but stumble on the big screen.

Facepalm
08-03-2016, 09:01 AM
I think they want to be different, but then they see the bank Marvel is making and can't resist trying to do some of that. I heard they did reshoots for Suicide Squad to add more humour when it was going to be darker and grittier. I think they need to make up their mind what type of Universe they want to portray. If they want it to be darker and more 'realistic' that the Marvel Universe then they need to stick to that. I think they need better writing and directing as well. It astounds me they can consistently be good at cartoons and the small screen but stumble on the big screen.
They have the wrong person in charge. Zack Snyder is the "architect", of the DCMU, even if he isn't the director. They need to fire his ass and put the animation guys in charge.

Nanners
08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Some of the suicide squad reviews are hilarious

"This movie makes fantastic four look good"

"A who's who of who gives a shit"

"Turns out the title refers to the audience, most of whom had no idea they were being enlisted for self-immolation"

"Suicide Squad makes one almost nostalgic for Batman v Superman."

DeuceWallaces
08-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Some of the suicide squad reviews are hilarious

"This movie makes fantastic four look good"

"A who's who of who gives a shit"

"Turns out the title refers to the audience, most of whom had no idea they were being enlisted for self-immolation"

"Suicide Squad makes one almost nostalgic for Batman v Superman."

:oldlol:

I don't see how the last one is even possible. I watched the blu-ray a couple weeks ago, and the whole time I'm just sitting there going, "what the **** is going on, none of this makes sense, what are these visions, why is Batman murdering everyone..." It's ****ing hilarious.

This is coming from someone was at least ambivalent about Man of Steel and watch parts of it when it's on cable.

Facepalm
08-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Here's a cut and paste of a post I made in the SS thread.

Good info on how WB/DC shit the bed...again...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

relevant info:

Warners chief Kevin Tsujihara announced the project in October 2014 as part of a slate of 10 DC films stretching into 2020. Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

In Ayer, Warners enlisted a director who had never made a giant, effects-packed action movie. Hiring filmmakers who lack such experience is the trend, and it's often out of necessity. "There are a lot of people who don't want to direct those movies and that's a huge problem," says one producer with franchise experience. "A lot of the proven guys are back-to-back with their stuff, or they want to develop it for five years, and there's a machine that has to be fed. And there's the economics." Seasoned directors are expensive, meaning studios turn to those with less experience, relying on instinct that they will be up to the job. Sometimes it works (Colin Trevorrow on Jurassic World), and sometimes it doesn't (James Bobin on Alice Through the Looking Glass).

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited. (A source says he left by the end of the process and that the final editor was Michael Tronick.) "When you have big tentpoles and time pressure, you pull in resources from every which way you can," says this source. "You can't do it the way it used to be, with one editor and one assistant editor."

In May, Ayer's more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. "If there are multiple opinions that aren't in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least," says an insider. "That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus." Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to "a very common-ground place." (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

Other sources describe a fraught process — one cites "a lot of panic and ego instead of calmly addressing the tonal issue." Clearly all wasn't sitting right with Ayer, who in June suddenly dropped his longtime agent at CAA and defected to WME, though the agency won him back in a day. "He was under a lot — a lot — of pressure," says one person with knowledge of the situation, arguing that Ayer was exhausted and needed time to process conflicting ideas.

And there may have been other strains. Just weeks before the two versions were tested, Warners declined to ante up for Ayer's next project, Bright, which will reunite him with Squad star Will Smith. He ended up at Netflix, which made a staggering $90 million deal. Nonetheless, a day or two after Ayer fired and rehired CAA, another cut of the film was screened for a test audience, and sources say the results were strong enough that there was an upbeat plane ride back to Los Angeles.

Now the question is whether the film will deliver for an industry thirsty for something, anything, that will work in a summer bereft of live-action hits. Though reviews suggest the competing visions for the movie may have taken a toll (THR's critic calls the film "puzzlingly confused"), BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield says, "I've learned long ago there is not always a connections between reviews and box office and financial success." At the same time, it is imperative for Warners to build DC movies fans love like they do the Marvel pics.

Even on the day of the premiere, one insider fretted about whether Suicide Squad would mirror BvS' huge opening and weak legs. Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

Nilocon165
08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Here's a cut and paste of a post I made in the SS thread.

Good info on how WB/DC shit the bed...again...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

relevant info:
F.uck Warnerbros.

KyrieTheFuture
08-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Its amazing to me that it needs 750 ****ing million dollars. How do you spend that much on a movie?

Facepalm
08-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Its amazing to me that it needs 750 ****ing million dollars. How do you spend that much on a movie?
Promotion costs are a shit ton as well. This movie had a a lot of advertising.

Derka
08-03-2016, 01:36 PM
They have the wrong person in charge. Zack Snyder is the "architect", of the DCMU, even if he isn't the director. They need to fire his ass and put the animation guys in charge.
So very much this.