PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Dunking

KOBEinSD24
05-16-2007, 10:28 PM
im 5'10, and 17 yrs old and can go up and grab the rim off one step easily and near grab with no step, my only problem is when i go from the three-point wing and go and dunk i get up but can't get the ball to go through, it either goes off the back rim or it goes off the backround and in, any suggestions to help me with this?

ClutchCityReturns
05-16-2007, 10:30 PM
You're rimming it out because you aren't holding on to it long enough to get the ball down and through the rim. Palm the ball or get higher. That's basically all I can say.

Either that or try to dunk 2 handed instead. Won't lose your handle on the ball that way. I was in the same exact situation as yourself around that age and I ended up learning to dunk 2 handed first, and 1 handed second.

KOBEinSD24
05-16-2007, 10:38 PM
thanks, yea im only like two inches from dunking, i have it down in a month

20 Dimes A Game
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
thanks, yea im only like two inches from dunking, i have it down in a month

You think?

Knine
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I gotta tell you that you have to get about 3-5 inches ABOVE the rim if you wanna dunk it. I've seen people grab rim and it isnt good enough if you want to dunk.

White Chocolate
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Holding the ball long enough is a must. Also remember not to jump too late, otherwise you will hit the bottom of the rim. I think a lot of people have it in the back of their minds, which is why they can't do it.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
05-22-2007, 10:56 AM
you're only 17.

work on your ups, or keep growing.

you'll be dunking in no time.

Gad23
05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
i can get like 8-9 inches above the rim but i cant dunk it 1 handed. 2 handed is okay though. being able to grip the ball is a plus. practise with a tennis ball then volley ball etc.

KOBEinSD24
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
i can get like 8-9 inches above the rim but i cant dunk it 1 handed. 2 handed is okay though. being able to grip the ball is a plus. practise with a tennis ball then volley ball etc.

Coo thanks yea i work on my hops tues and thurs with this strengh and conditionin thang we do with bball and prac mon wed and fri and other than that i just parctice at a local park and yea i agree you have to jump like at least 5 inches above the rim but i'll get it by the end of july at the most i'll post a vid of it

KZ_23
05-23-2007, 01:52 AM
8-9 Inches? You either have no coordination what so ever, or your a liar. 8-9 inches is easy dunk height.

capo
05-23-2007, 04:43 AM
to get an extra 1-2 inches gie yourself a little thrust upwards when your up in the air, works for me so it should work for you.

Q.E.C
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
im 5'10, and 17 yrs old and can go up and grab the rim off one step easily and near grab with no step, my only problem is when i go from the three-point wing and go and dunk i get up but can't get the ball to go through, it either goes off the back rim or it goes off the backround and in, any suggestions to help me with this?

all you have to do is bend your wrist. when your 1st dunking it's not all about power dunks and all that. just bend your wrist and you'll get it.

KOBEinSD24
05-24-2007, 12:55 AM
to get an extra 1-2 inches gie yourself a little thrust upwards when your up in the air, works for me so it should work for you.
i have that thrust

KOBEinSD24
05-24-2007, 12:56 AM
all you have to do is bend your wrist. when your 1st dunking it's not all about power dunks and all that. just bend your wrist and you'll get it.

yea somebody told me that before

Gad23
05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
im serious i can hit the rim with my wrist but i keep hitting the back of the rim when i try to dunk. the tip of my middle finger to my wrist is 8 inches. hmm ill try to bend my wrist. i was always trying to power dunk it. lol.

3stat2
05-25-2007, 02:16 AM
Firstly, none of the videos below are of me. :hammerhead: They're all very short clips

Now, even a 'basic' dunk done with flair (like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFCB-0pMN8) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x71YOu257M)) is harder than it looks. You have to be able to get very high to do it easily. Remember most 6' people's hands are over 8 inches long.

When he dunks it, it seems like his hand is only a maximum of maybe 5-6 inches above the rim. But his arm is bent and, in the first dunk, he probably hasn't taken off from the ideal position in terms of angle and distance. Plus he didn't bring the ball down immediately at the peak of his jump, he hung just a little longer. That's what makes it look good.

You'd need to get more like 8+ inches above the rim in ideal conditions (arm straight up and not bent, perfect distance, angle to the rim etc), to be able to pull that off consistently.

If you can just get 5-6 inches above the rim, this is more achievable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyisCk7r0jY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yibT-_KLg

Whereas if you can get well over 10 inches above the rim...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnZzK9rOHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB38fyGoMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bgQghBZkk
By the way, on that last dunk it went in but bounced off his head and back out :banana:

So that's why a lot of people look stupid when they attempt NBA style dunks or even tomahawks. Most of those dunks are done with a bent arm, and are thrown down after the peak of the jump; otherwise it just doesn't look right. So basically, you gotta have the ability to get high over the rim - even if your hand doesn't go that high over it for that particular dunk.

Cheers and have fun dunking :cheers:

Q.E.C
05-25-2007, 02:25 AM
yea somebody told me that before

did it work? if it didn't that means you have to get your hops up some more. can you get the middle of your forearm to the rim?

KOBEinSD24
05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
im serious i can hit the rim with my wrist but i keep hitting the back of the rim when i try to dunk. the tip of my middle finger to my wrist is 8 inches. hmm ill try to bend my wrist. i was always trying to power dunk it. lol.

same here

KOBEinSD24
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
did it work? if it didn't that means you have to get your hops up some more. can you get the middle of your forearm to the rim?
i didnt try it and no just the bottom of my fingers get the rim and can almost grab it

Q.E.C
05-26-2007, 02:14 AM
i didnt try it and no just the bottom of my fingers get the rim and can almost grab it

do you hop off of 1 leg or 2?

KOBEinSD24
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
do you hop off of 1 leg or 2?

i take two dribbles and take off with one foot, i can finger roll it of two feet but thats off one dribble

KOBEinSD24
05-26-2007, 10:10 PM
i got my first dunk today on a regulation hoop, i did it with one of those balls you get from chucky cheese or boomers, i got mine from some castle mini-golf/rollercoster place in phoenix last weekend

KZ_23
05-27-2007, 05:21 AM
If anyone is a one foot jumper I can try to help you out.

Cavs2007Champs
05-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Learn to throw yourself an alley oop

I'm almost 5'9 and that's the only way I can do it, I can't palm it, and I can get my hand well over the rim.

Do it how they do it in the dunk contest, start around the 3 pt line around the wing side and just toss it up, and learn where you want it 2 land, get it to bounce high enough so you can grab it and put it in.

Or have someone stand around the hoop maybe the dotted Line or close and have them just toss it up around the rim.

With those you can get a running jump and not have 2 worry about the ball, you just run up with your speed and jump and then GO GET IT.

Or try the T mac or Vince all star dunk, throw it off of the backboard, but it comes back really quick, so you have 2 be an explosive leaper to dunk it.

Q.E.C
05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
i take two dribbles and take off with one foot, i can finger roll it of two feet but thats off one dribble

ok try this, when your by yourself do 1 step,then then 2 fast steps then hop off 2 feet as soon as you do that. keep your arm straight up in the air and bend your wrist.

VeeCee15
06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
dfas

dinosaw
07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Come down to the dunk contest at the Triple Double see www.3on3basketball.co.uk where you can register to play.

There'll also be a session on how to dunk from one of the best dunkers in the country - Andy Mathurin. (see the photo on the site).

Until then, my advice is - Calf Raises!

captobvious
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
your only 5 10 :( im 62 and i can only just touch the ring mind you your 2 years older then me :confusedshrug:

jamal99
11-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Im 7'1'' (17), I can dunk easily, but with one foot jumper (I have pretty small wingspan 4 my height). With two leg jumpers I can't get of the ground, especially with right leg-left leg jumper and right hand dunk. I can dunk only with left leg-right leg jump and left hand dunk (Im righthanded).
Do u know some exercises I can do to jump higher with two legs??

Manute for Ever!
11-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Appparently, Muggsy Bogues could dunk a volleyball, but couldn't palm a basketball, so no dunk. Check out the size of the guys legs, they don't lie.

mghubs27
12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
If anyone is a one foot jumper I can try to help you out.

i could use some help, i recentley turned 16, im 6'3'' and like 175ish

ive never dunked before, but i can prettyy easily grab rim, but in warm ups at yesterdays game, i was really getting up there, lots of kids on my team where telling me to just throw it down, (doing off one dribble to the paint off one foot one hand) but i didnt know if i really could, and plus, rule is that u cant dunk when refs are out during warmups. Mabye it was just adreneline but i dont think i could just do it randomly at practice, and the music deff helped during warm ups...also my arm wasnt fully extended when i was up there, and tips to get that extra hop in my step before taking off?

thanks

Unreal Skill
12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I've noticed some people jump off from the ball part of their foot, you will jump higher if you jump flat footed (heel + ball on the ground). When you are going to take off one foot, swing the other leg up, it will give you some "lift." Don't think too much on how you will take off, it will mess you up. Do it like this
http://www.fathead.com/fatheadsweb/_Images/nba/products/medium/Carter_Vince_med.jpg

CySniper
12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
i just turned 14 and i could grab rim. i wanna dunk soon, but i always get rejected by the rim :cry: And theres no way i could dunk with two hands

jamal99
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
i just turned 14 and i could grab rim. i wanna dunk soon, but i always get rejected by the rim :cry: And theres no way i could dunk with two hands

Don't worry, u will dunk.................one day.....

CySniper
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Don't worry, u will dunk.................one day.....

I just did my first one today! :rockon:

3stat2
01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Good on ya, keep at it - the first dunk is a great achievement

thepaperboy9
01-13-2008, 05:08 AM
so u want to dunk? you have to be either tall, a good leaper, or a combination.

being tall= genes. u cant control that..

a good leaper= sorta in ur genes and sorta not. whatever ur ability is you can always train and get better. sure some have the leaping potential to get more better than others, but hey u gotta train to see what ur potential is.

here are some suggestions:
-plyometrics (such as air alert which is basically plyometrics)
-weight training: squats, hamstring curls, leg extensions, calf raises, etc. create a balanced workout for 2 to 3 days a week
- a combination of weights and plyo

thetruth1
09-26-2008, 10:45 PM
what happened to "tha air up there" ? Aint he the best dunker in the world???
Is he still with AND1???

The_Night_Elf
09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
what happened to "tha air up there" ? Aint he the best dunker in the world???
Is he still with AND1???

He tried to dunk in a game where they played defense, got blocked, and slamed into the ground. They're still trying to dig him out...

Zak
09-27-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm 14, and somewhere in between 6'0-6'1. I can get like half of my hand thru the rim. Hard to explain, like from the tip of my middle finger i can get like 11 cm above rim. The thing is is i need a run up and i am a pure one footed jumper. I can touch the rim barely, on a good day of two feet no running. I can dunk a volleyball, but any tips on how to dunk a basketball. I always get **** from my brother about not being able to dunk, because he is shorter than me and can throw it down.The thing he is, his first dunk was when he was 17, and i'm 14 so that isn't fair lol. Anyway, any tips?

ABPrints
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Ah Zak, remind me of me about 18 years ago. One legged jumper, can throw a volleyball down, the other problem was that we had pure leather balls, not the easy to palm composite ones now...and I couldn't palm the leather very well.

Realy, coming from a strength coach, there is no secret. Just keep jumping with in the confines of your ability. Stay away from specific plyometric programs (air alert, etc)...your body will adapt.

I will say this too. I never got to dunk in high school. I swear the day I graduated my body said it could fly. I was able to dunk in pick ups that summer after senior year...and my best jumping days came when I was 22-24.

Burgz
10-05-2008, 02:06 PM
i dunked with two hands before i did one hand because i cant palm a ball
im two footed jumper though so maybe its different
for those of you who are young, just wait on it, if dunking is really what you wanna do, then just keep playing basketball at a high intensity, and when you find your legs never get tired, thats when you jump in to plyos and weights only after then though, because it can be a serious detriment to your body if done too early

josh99
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm 16 years, almost 6'0, and can almost dunk(I can put it in and grab the rim jumping off one foot but its not quite a dunk). I can dunk on a 9'5 hoop with a normal basketball. If I regularly keep playing pickup for around 1-2 hours everyday and a little extra jumping afterwords will I ever be able to comfortably dunk in a game? I don't care much about powerful throw downs I just want to slip it in instead of doing a layup on a fastbreak.

Fallguy20
10-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm 16 years, almost 6'0, and can almost dunk(I can put it in and grab the rim jumping off one foot but its not quite a dunk). I can dunk on a 9'5 hoop with a normal basketball. If I regularly keep playing pickup for around 1-2 hours everyday and a little extra jumping afterwords will I ever be able to comfortably dunk in a game? I don't care much about powerful throw downs I just want to slip it in instead of doing a layup on a fastbreak.

meh
:confusedshrug:

I have a nasty habbit of over-training during the basketball season... once the season is over, I magically have an extra 4 inches on my vert just because ive given my legs a chance to recover and relax. You do want to be in "basketball" shape, but the ingame dunk is along ways away if your still looking to get the legit 10 foot dunk.

Do what I did and get a weight vest (im a bigger guy, so I put on 20+ lbs) and go for a jog, at least three times a week with one run at the end of the week without the extra weight. Dont just run around a track, get some hills in (think cross country) and the added weight will usually shock your legs into overcompensating with the cross training.

WARNING: Im what you would call an elite athlete. What works for me doesnt mean it will work for you. I was putting in 45+ miles per week easy running before I ever started using the vest. It was just that extra step in pushing me over the edge. The 45+ miles had me already in very good condition and more importantly had my body acclimated to the pounding you would take on a run (ex, I would do hour long runs with no vest and only 30-40 min runs with it on and it would feel about the same in regards to the toll it took on my body).
Weighted apparell can damage growing tendons/ligaments and screw up crucial joints (knee, ankle, hips ect) so do what your body tells you to do, not some random guy over the internet.

the.powerhouse
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
My first suggestion would be stop wasting your time on jumping up at the rim like a fool and start practicing elements of your game that will actually help you get somewhere (shooting, dribbling, reading the game, etc

deaks
10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Its all in the wrist.

Timing is everything with your take off and wrist action, if you cant get proper handles on the ball you will never be able to throw it down with one hand.
Try lowering the rim to maybe 9'6 and start dunking with two hands and gradually work up "it worked for me" now i can do reverses and everything and I am only 5'11.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Funk2dunk - Baskatball Videos (http://www.funk2dunk.com)

Russian Rocket
10-18-2008, 04:35 PM
In Soviet Russia, Dunk tip YOU!