PDA

View Full Version : New job offer/How to ask for a raise?

UK2K
08-12-2016, 10:03 AM
First off, let me point out how ****ing difficult it is to job search while working. How many excuses I had to come up with to leave early, or take days off, or leave my desk for 45 minutes to speak to people. Like I'm living a lie... almost like you're cheating in a way. It's draining.

Problem is, I really, really, really do not want to leave where I work now. However, I've gotten my current job to the point where everything I do runs like clockwork, and I'm not learning anything new; because of that, I put my resume on CareerBuilder and had a few companies contact me.

Anyway, interviewed for a job on Monday, got an offer this morning. How do you ask your current employer for a raise? I can point to several specific things that I and I alone have done to save over ~$139k since the FY began, but I also know my current employer is stingy with their pay.

To me, loyalty is a two way street. I saved the company 3x my salary this year, I would think they'd be willing to give me a raise. Even if they were, they wouldn't be willing to match what I have been offered now... but I at least wanted to ask...

So has anyone asked for a raise at their job, using another job offer as leverage? Do I just slap down my offer letter on the HR manager's desk? Or do I go to my boss first (which is another shitty thing because I really like my boss, and she likes me, so I hate to put her in an awkward position or even to tell her I'm leaving).

I know HR won't match the pay raise, but do I ask them to come close? Just sucks to have to put my employer in a weird spot, but it's also hard to turn down a great opportunity that happens to include a significant pay raise.

Thoughts?

Hawker
08-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Never go to HR first dude. HR is usually the most useless department of any company.

I would suggest going to your boss first and talking to him about your grievances and it seems like you're not bitching just to bitch. If you have a legitimate job offer on the table to increase your take home pay and they really want to keep you, they'll try what they can but may be hamstringed by red tape.

If the boss agrees, he/she will then BACK YOU UP when yall go to HR.

*Not legal advice in any means and I have little experience in this matter but this is how I usually handled things in the past. Avoid HR at all costs.

(If they don't match, take the job that will progress your career. Not all companies that promise higher pay allow this.)

East River Livn'
08-12-2016, 10:56 AM
I hope your don't work for a large corporation that just cares about filling positions with a warm body, and very little about performance. How long have you been working there?

SilkkTheShocker
08-12-2016, 10:59 AM
You're s.hit out of luck unless you're black

ALBballer
08-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I would just leave. Your old place would know that you will bounce again once you get a better offer and you can gain some new experiences at your new job.

But yeah if you decide to stay( and I would only stay if they beat the new offer by 5-10%) speak to your boss and let her work out a better deal for you.

Lebowsky
08-12-2016, 11:11 AM
In the end of the day, jobs are just that, jobs. They won't hesitate to fire you if they have to, so I find loyalty to be quite stupid in this context. I always go with the higher paying one unless it has some major drawbacks, which doesnt' seem to be the case. Bear in mind that this may very well your only chance to get a significant raise at your current position in quite some time, so I wouldn't be complacent about it.

If you're serious about leaving, just go to your boss, explain things calmly and clearly, but firmly. You're not the fist one to do it and won't be the last. Just make her understand you're comfortable there and would probably like to stay, but you just can't ignore a better firm offer. I don't think it'll work, but you will be doing the right thing if you like your current employer.

UK2K
08-12-2016, 11:48 AM
I hope your don't work for a large corporation that just cares about filling positions with a warm body, and very little about performance. How long have you been working there?

I've been at the company for almost three years. I've been in my current position for almost two.

The company itself has about 8,000 employees, but we've got maybe 400 corporate office employees.

Now that I've un****ed their processes, they could probably get someone willing to take my current pay because of the name and the office environment. Its a really good place to work; it's actually fun and I enjoy coming to work every day.

Its just I've peaked now; most of the stuff I do now, I do because it needs to be done and it's not really my job. I'm not learning anything new other than what I teach myself.

DeuceWallaces
08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
If you want to stay, you go to your boss and tell him you have offer X and you're willing to stay for X-whatever. You better be serious when you make that move.

If you want to leave. You put in your 2-4 weeks.

Akrazotile
08-12-2016, 11:54 AM
As Hawker said, avoid HR as long as you can. But youll eventually have to deal with them. When you finally go in there, do this.

Knock once - literally a single, firm tap of your knuckles on the wood, then immediately open the door without hesitation and walk in. Dont say anything. Move to her desk resolutely and place your hands palms-down on it with your arms spread apart, and lean forward to look into her eyes. Move your face close to hers, then withdraw it. Then move it in again, and withdraw it. Toy with her. Marinate her in the tension. Let her know you have the control. But dont say anything. After a moment, stand upright and pause again. Then unzip your pants, and pull out your package. Plop it down on he desk. Look at her again. Ask her casually, "do you see this?"

Wait a moment as she struggles for words, then slam your fist down on the desk and ask again, "DO YOU ****ING SEE THIS?? I bring this big piece to work every. single. day. and Ill be god damned if Im not gonna get the appreciation I deserve around here for it. Double my salary. Starting today."

As she nods and stammers fearfully, relax your demeanor. Put your Johnson away and zip back up. Take out a pack of smokes, draw one, put it to your lips and light it. Take a slow drag then tilt your head back and exhale.

Walk out of the office, but pause for a moment in the doorway and turn back to her. Her eyes will be wide, understanding you have something else to say. She will await your words with astounded eagerness an curiosity.

Simply tell her "Thickness... Has its price.

Procede to walk out without waiting for a response as she continues to stare blankly at the doorway in wide-eyed bewilderment.

sd3035
08-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Start your own business

UK2K
08-12-2016, 12:13 PM
In the end of the day, jobs are just that, jobs. They won't hesitate to fire you if they have to, so I find loyalty to be quite stupid in this context. I always go with the higher paying one unless it has some major drawbacks, which doesnt' seem to be the case. Bear in mind that this may very well your only chance to get a significant raise at your current position in quite some time, so I wouldn't be complacent about it.

If you're serious about leaving, just go to your boss, explain things calmly and clearly, but firmly. You're not the fist one to do it and won't be the last. Just make her understand you're comfortable there and would probably like to stay, but you just can't ignore a better firm offer. I don't think it'll work, but you will be doing the right thing if you like your current employer.

Yeah, I'm more concerned about telling my boss I'm moving on then I am actually moving on...

She's been good to me, and once I learned the systems and processes, she pretty much backed off and let's me do my own thing. I've had good and bad leaders in the military, and the last thing I want to do is trade a good boss for some dickhead.

But it's hard to say no to a 30% pay increase :(

Jasper
08-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Uk2k -

I'll give you an example and you can run either way.

I worked for an Insurance company for 16 years , and wanted to retire there/
People were awesome, the career was challenging in every way.. but they sold the company and were moving their mainframe to Ohio.
I was offered a raise , and they were going to buy my house , and move and assist me in moving into another.
I did not like the setup (state) but I liked the company and potential to retire at 55.
I started looking / $160 in phone calls directly into Network centers managers and sending out resumes and app's.
I got luck , landed a job close to home , but took a pay cut, but I was living still in my house.
I offer the original company an offer.
Freeze my salary , maintain my vacation time (4 weeks) and assist me in selling my house, but I want $15k up front.
This would of given me leverage to work for a year, then return home if I did not like it!!
They passed , and 4 weeks later they lost me.
I worked for another Insurance co. and worked for 20 years and retired last year.... at 57.
No matter how much power you think you have ,,, there is 100 guys on the corner ready to take your job. (more education , and will take less money)
My step-son , had all most 8 years schooling with a masters and other degrees and is making around 40k... :D

knickballer
08-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Uk2k -

I'll give you an example and you can run either way.

I worked for an Insurance company for 16 years , and wanted to retire there/
People were awesome, the career was challenging in every way.. but they sold the company and were moving their mainframe to Ohio.
I was offered a raise , and they were going to buy my house , and move and assist me in moving into another.
I did not like the setup (state) but I liked the company and potential to retire at 55.
I started looking / $160 in phone calls directly into Network centers managers and sending out resumes and app's.
I got luck , landed a job close to home , but took a pay cut, but I was living still in my house.
I offer the original company an offer.
Freeze my salary , maintain my vacation time (4 weeks) and assist me in selling my house, but I want $15k up front.
This would of given me leverage to work for a year, then return home if I did not like it!!
They passed , and 4 weeks later they lost me.
I worked for another Insurance co. and worked for 20 years and retired last year.... at 57.
No matter how much power you think you have ,,, there is 100 guys on the corner ready to take your job. (more education , and will take less money)
My step-son , had all most 8 years schooling with a masters and other degrees and is making around 40k... :D

You're right man. We're all clogs in the machines. Alot of corporations are demanding the government to issue more h1b1 and other visas to attract more workers to drive down wages(they'll say the market can't meet the demand or w/e but that's BS as we're churning out more college graduates than ever before). And with automation slowly eliminating jobs and with corporations outsourcing more and more of a jobs we're totally ****ed. We're all gonna gonna be working class with a privileged few being extremely wealthy.

KyrieTheFuture
08-12-2016, 08:26 PM
I would tell your boss exactly what you feel. Tell her you're taking a new job but you'd love to stay, it's just hard to say no to 30% more money, talk about your girl/new house and how you need the money to advance your life. She'll either say "yea you're right" AKA **** off and enjoy your job, or she'll actually try to keep you and get you that raise.

As for HR...the HR department are the ones who change your payroll paperwork when someone with actual authority tells them you got a raise. They can't do shit.

You Cant Ban Me
08-12-2016, 10:41 PM
First off, let me point out how ****ing difficult it is to job search while working. How many excuses I had to come up with to leave early, or take days off, or leave my desk for 45 minutes to speak to people. Like I'm living a lie... almost like you're cheating in a way. It's draining.

Problem is, I really, really, really do not want to leave where I work now. However, I've gotten my current job to the point where everything I do runs like clockwork, and I'm not learning anything new; because of that, I put my resume on CareerBuilder and had a few companies contact me.

Anyway, interviewed for a job on Monday, got an offer this morning. How do you ask your current employer for a raise? I can point to several specific things that I and I alone have done to save over ~$139k since the FY began, but I also know my current employer is stingy with their pay.

To me, loyalty is a two way street. I saved the company 3x my salary this year, I would think they'd be willing to give me a raise. Even if they were, they wouldn't be willing to match what I have been offered now... but I at least wanted to ask...

So has anyone asked for a raise at their job, using another job offer as leverage? Do I just slap down my offer letter on the HR manager's desk? Or do I go to my boss first (which is another shitty thing because I really like my boss, and she likes me, so I hate to put her in an awkward position or even to tell her I'm leaving).

I know HR won't match the pay raise, but do I ask them to come close? Just sucks to have to put my employer in a weird spot, but it's also hard to turn down a great opportunity that happens to include a significant pay raise.

Thoughts?

drop your ****ing nuts already you bitch ass *****.Go up to your boss then ask for a raise and stop being a ***** before i get my white boys to find your profile on career builder and hack ya shit

Sht give me your bosses number ill call em if u that much of a bch just give me a cut or ill get my white boys to hack ya bank account

imdaman99
08-12-2016, 11:06 PM
30% is a lot. Honestly, as much as they love you, you're still replaceable. So no point in catching feelings over it or feeling bad about putting your boss in an awkward position. If she cares enough, she will either help you get the raise or wish you luck because she can't get you much of a raise. Either way, do not be afraid to do this.

I was let go from somewhere because someone snitched about me getting an offer from a better job for more money :lol I still like to think they loved me and did me a favor, but it was prob more like someone was gunning for my position and decided no one loses if I already had an offer from somewhere better :oldlol: Being let go hurt, but severance didn't :pimp:

Jasper
08-13-2016, 09:38 AM
drop your fucbefore i get my white boys to find your profile on career builder and hack ya shit[/B]

Sht give me your bosses number ill call em if u that much of a bch just give me a cut or ill get my white boys to hack ya bank account

In the process of fix'n your bl as$ profile:pimp:

TheMan
08-13-2016, 10:33 AM
30% is a lot. Honestly, as much as they love you, you're still replaceable. So no point in catching feelings over it or feeling bad about putting your boss in an awkward position. If she cares enough, she will either help you get the raise or wish you luck because she can't get you much of a raise. Either way, do not be afraid to do this.

I was let go from somewhere because someone snitched about me getting an offer from a better job for more money :lol I still like to think they loved me and did me a favor, but it was prob more like someone was gunning for my position and decided no one loses if I already had an offer from somewhere better :oldlol: Being let go hurt, but severance didn't :pimp:
This

OP works for a corporation that has 8,000 employees. They'll replace him and forget about him within a week.

OP is full of himself.

UK2K
08-13-2016, 11:22 AM
This

OP works for a corporation that has 8,000 employees. They'll replace him and forget about him within a week.

OP is full of himself.
Out of those 8k employees, I am the only one with my job title; thanks for your concern though! Everyone is replaceable, that's not related to my OP in the slightest.

Nice feedback all... guess I'll leave HR out of it. Looking like I'm going to have to come up with an answer by Tuesday. Should be a fun and awkward two weeks. Guess that's life though...people move jobs all the time, but not everyone enjoys where they work.

Akrazotile
08-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Out of those 8k employees, I am the only one with my job title; thanks for your concern though! Everyone is replaceable, that's not related to my OP in the slightest.

Nice feedback all... guess I'll leave HR out of it. Looking like I'm going to have to come up with an answer by Tuesday. Should be a fun and awkward two weeks. Guess that's life though...people move jobs all the time, but not everyone enjoys where they work.

Congrats on the offers in any case, whether you end up accepting one of them or not. Always nice to be appreciated for a job well done. At least you know youve got options going forward. :cheers: :rockon:

Long Duck Dong
08-13-2016, 12:44 PM
When they inevitably let you go because they can't match the other job's huge pay difference, please go out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1ZNRcAThY

UK2K
08-13-2016, 02:55 PM
When they inevitably let you go because they can't match the other job's huge pay difference, please go out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1ZNRcAThY
https://vid.me/2iZ1

UK2K
08-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the offers in any case, whether you end up accepting one of them or not. Always nice to be appreciated for a job well done. At least you know youve got options going forward. :cheers: :rockon:
Thanks! Pretty excited about it.

Hours sound terrible but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Hawker
08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks! Pretty excited about it.

Hours sound terrible but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

You should have mentioned this in the OP. (Unless you didnt know at that point.)

You have to keep quality of life in mind when you make these decisions. Are the terrible hours going to have an effect on your quality of life and if so is it really worth the extra 30% increase in pay?

How long do you have to work these terrible hours at your new company to be able to get a promotion that will give you less terrible hours?

Just another thing to think about.

In this case, you can be a chooser.

UK2K
08-13-2016, 04:03 PM
You should have mentioned this in the OP. (Unless you didnt know at that point.)

You have to keep quality of life in mind when you make these decisions. Are the terrible hours going to have an effect on your quality of life and if so is it really worth the extra 30% increase in pay?

How long do you have to work these terrible hours at your new company to be able to get a promotion that will give you less terrible hours?

Just another thing to think about.

In this case, you can be a chooser.
Oh that was my number one priority. Always has been. There's something to be said about waking up in the morning and not dreading work.

Part of me would rather enjoy the laid back, relaxed work environment, but it just seems that's not where the money is; at least not where I work. Money was a concern as well of course, but right now I make enough to live comfortably thanks to not having children yet. But I know at some point that won't always be the case, then I'm not working for just myself anymore.

It seems like it's just 45-50 hours a week or so, but I'd have to wake up at 4:30 to show up on time, and I'm not a morning person. Years in the military ruined that.

UK2K
08-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Welp... took it to my boss. Told her if they gave me a $7k pay raise, I'd turn down the $17k pay raise. Ball is in their court I guess. I'm about 98% sure they're gonna say no.

G-train
08-18-2016, 08:00 PM
All the best.
The Boss will appreciate the honesty, if she has half a brain she knows that people are looking to get ahead in their lives and you can't expect them to sit still for 40 years.

highwhey
08-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Welp... took it to my boss. Told her if they gave me a $7k pay raise, I'd turn down the $17k pay raise. Ball is in their court I guess. I'm about 98% sure they're gonna say no.may you have sucess
:cheers:

Lebowsky
08-19-2016, 04:18 AM
I'm also in the middle of salary negotiations with my company. They offered me to open up and manage a branch of our firm in Malaysia. I like the project and I loved KL, and my gf seems to be ok with moving there. Now, instead of making an offer, my boss asked me to tell him what package I want in order to accept the job (salary + benefits). This was 2 days ago, and I'm supposed to have the discussion in 2 hours..
The good part is my boss is the group CEO, so whatever we agree on is directly what I'll get. The bad part is he's put me in the uncomfortable position of having to make the first move, as opposed to receiving an offer from them and negotiating on that.
Mission accomplished.

GimmeThat
08-19-2016, 04:32 AM
gotta be creative, such as: show them how hot your escort is,

if it happens to be a female, be sure to take 2 days off at work, no dummie, not those 2 days when you are home away from work and they assume that you are working still

highwhey
08-19-2016, 04:35 AM
I'm also in the middle of salary negotiations with my company. They offered me to open up and manage a branch of our firm in Malaysia. I like the project and I loved KL, and my gf seems to be ok with moving there. Now, instead of making an offer, my boss asked me to tell him what package I want in order to accept the job (salary + benefits). This was 2 days ago, and I'm supposed to have the discussion in 2 hours..
The good part is my boss is the group CEO, so whatever we agree on is directly what I'll get. The bad part is he's put me in the uncomfortable position of having to make the first move, as opposed to receiving an offer from them and negotiating on that.
Oh wow, sounds like a good problem though. Mind asking what industry you are in?

Lebowsky
08-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Oh wow, sounds like a good problem though. Mind asking what industry you are in?
Financial investments. Started my career in financial forecasting, then I switched to consumer electronics, then this. Quite the ride :oldlol:

nathanjizzle
08-19-2016, 07:13 AM
pull your dicc out and say "you see this, my salary must reflect my dicc size and youre not paying me enough"