PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving: 30.0 PPG last 3 games of finals.

ClipperRevival
08-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Everyone talks about LeBron (and rightfully so) but Kyrie Irving provided GOAT level 2nd fiddle scoring by putting up these numbers in the last 3 games of the finals including the series clinching 3:

30.0 PPG, .523% FG, .529% 3 PT FG (on 5.7 attempts per game)

And the Cavs needed almost every one of those points. Fact is, if Kyrie doesn't go off, Cavs don't win. So let's so some respect to Uncle Drew. :applause:

RRR3
08-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Boo-boo-boo-buh-buh-buh-but Curry is a great defender!

JT123
08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Obvious agenda is obvious. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but us objective fans can't just gloss over the fact that Kyrie was being guarded by the worst defensive point guard in the NBA. :sleeping

It would be like Bron fans bragging about him averaging 30 ppg against Kyle Korver :oldlol:

Nilocon165
08-12-2016, 01:43 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/12pH0Z3icAK0rC/giphy.gif

GOAT gonna GOAT

ClipperRevival
08-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Obvious agenda is obvious. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but us objective fans can't just gloss over the fact that Kyrie was being guarded by the worst defensive point guard in the NBA. :sleeping

It would be like Bron fans bragging about him averaging 30 ppg against Kyle Korver :oldlol:

About as much of an agenda as the LeBron fans making a million threads saying the same sh*t over and over again and bumping old threads. :rolleyes:

k0kakw0rld
08-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Everyone talks about LeBron (and rightfully so) but Kyrie Irving provided GOAT level 2nd fiddle scoring by putting up these numbers in the last 3 games of the finals including the series clinching 3:

And the Cavs needed almost every one of those points. Fact is, if Kyrie doesn't go off, Cavs don't win. So let's so some respect to Uncle Drew. :applause:
Nothing we did not know already. Just like without Pippen there will be no Jordan 6 rings.:confusedshrug:

ClipperRevival
08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Nothing we did not know already. Just like without Pippen there will be no Jordan 6 rings.:confusedshrug:

True. But i'm talking about alpha dog scoring, which is the greatest premium in bball, especially in the playoffs.

Pippen, in 35 finals games topped 30 points ONCE.

As a matter of fact, Pip's scoring output in his 2nd 3 peat is TERRIBLE for a 2nd fiddle.

58 playoff games (1996 - 1998) - 17.6 PPG, .408 FG%

That's why MJ had to carry such a huge offensive burden because he had little help offensively.

SilkkTheShocker
08-12-2016, 02:01 PM

"Did you put that together yourself, Einstein? What, do you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this? "

http://media.theiapolis.com/b000000/d4/hU0/i2H5O/k4/l2IDU/t5/u4/w1HC/y07/kevin-pollak-as-todd-hockney-in-the-usual.jpg

Dray n Klay
08-12-2016, 02:51 PM
"1 for 9" OP

Papaya Petee
08-12-2016, 02:56 PM
You can't win the title, or a finals versus a 73 win team without great help.
Plus Kevin Love was garbage so Kyrie picked up his slack.
Great performance by Kyrie.

Dray n Klay
08-12-2016, 02:58 PM
OP why can't you give LeBron credit for winning his year with 0 All-Star teammates?

SouBeachTalents
08-12-2016, 03:03 PM
OP why can't you give LeBron credit for winning his year with 0 All-Star teammates?

Does LeBron get less credit for his Miami titles since he won them with 2 all-stars?

Lebron23
08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
That's why they beat the Golden State Warriors cause Irving showed up in the NBA Finals, and torched Curry.

NuggetsFan
08-12-2016, 03:13 PM
True. But i'm talking about alpha dog scoring, which is the greatest premium in bball, especially in the playoffs.

As a matter of fact, Pip's scoring output in his 2nd 3 peat is TERRIBLE for a 2nd fiddle.

That's why MJ had to carry such a huge offensive burden because he had little help offensively.

More to basketball than numbers. Need to factor in fit, context and some actual logic. Pippen wasn't asked to score at an elite level. Could he score like Irving? No. Could have scored more without Jordan tho.

Pippen with LeBron is a bad fit. LeBron is basically Pippen on steroids. Irving with Jordan? Same thing. Irving fit LeBron perfectly because LeBron's a versatile defender, runs the offense entirely, and struggled shooting. Pippen was the perfect fit next to Jordan because he provided playmaking, secondary scoring, and elite defense. Pippen is literally one of the greatest defenders of All-Time. Scoring/defense are probably 1/2 in terms of winning rings. Jordan is the greatest scorer of All-Time so what do you want in your 2nd option? A 30 point scorer, or one of the greatest defenders of all-time. Who knows what happens if Irving is out there dropping 30 with Jordan. Jordan probably doesn't sit back and play PG like LeBron does.

People are so consumed by LeBron/Jordan but both got exactly what they needed and played amazing themselves so they won championships. There different players so they need different teammates :confusedshrug:

SouBeachTalents
08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
More to basketball than numbers. Need to factor in fit, context and some actual logic. Pippen wasn't asked to score at an elite level. Could he score like Irving? No. Could have scored more without Jordan tho.

Pippen with LeBron is a bad fit. LeBron is basically Pippen on steroids. Irving with Jordan? Same thing. Irving fit LeBron perfectly because LeBron's a versatile defender, runs the offense entirely, and struggled shooting. Pippen was the perfect fit next to Jordan because he provided playmaking, secondary scoring, and elite defense. Pippen is literally one of the greatest defenders of All-Time. Scoring/defense are probably 1/2 in terms of winning rings. Jordan is the greatest scorer of All-Time so what do you want in your 2nd option? A 30 point scorer, or one of the greatest defenders of all-time. Who knows what happens if Irving is out there dropping 30 with Jordan. Jordan probably doesn't sit back and play PG like LeBron does.

People are so consumed by LeBron/Jordan but both got exactly what they needed and played amazing themselves so they won championships. There different players so they need different teammates :confusedshrug:

:applause: This should be posted in every thread 3ball makes

Inferno
08-12-2016, 03:22 PM
He embarassed Curry the entire series. Steph didn't try taking him off the dribble even once while Kyrie was continuously going at him and scoring.

feyki
08-12-2016, 03:29 PM
New Kobe :applause:

Mr Feeny
08-12-2016, 05:27 PM
New Kobe :applause:

Kobe is a 40% finals shooter:oldlol:
This is better than any version of Kobe in finals, scoring wise

Dragonyeuw
08-12-2016, 05:41 PM

He scored exactly one extra point above his prior career high( 21ppg in 92, 22ppg in 94) when Jordan was out the year. He wasn't asked to score at an elite level because that wasn't the strength of his game. And as shown previously, he was putrid offensively in the 2nd 3peat playoffs as a second option. What he provided was GOAT perimeter D, ballhandling/playmaking, and acted as the glue guy. He was never a player that was going to score 25+ points per game, with or without MJ.

NuggetsFan
08-12-2016, 06:43 PM
He scored exactly one extra point above his prior career high( 21ppg in 92, 22ppg in 94) when Jordan was out the year. He wasn't asked to score at an elite level because that wasn't the strength of his game. And as shown previously, he was putrid offensively in the 2nd 3peat playoffs as a second option. What he provided was GOAT perimeter D, ballhandling/playmaking, and acted as the glue guy. He was never a player that was going to score 25+ points per game, with or without MJ.

While I agree scoring wasn't the main strength of his game there are certain situations where he could have flourished more as a scorer. Without Jordan, without the Bulls and Phil Jackson and that system. Pippen averaged 18.6 points his last season before Jordan left. 22 points the very next season at 28 years old. His entire career was spent playing with Jordan at that point. He didn't have the experience of being the 1st scoring option on a team and everything that comes with it.

Jordan averaged 32.5 points on 23.5 shots from Pippen's rookie season until Jordan's first break from the NBA. Pippen wasn't develop nor needed or ever really asked to be an elite scorer first and foremost until he was 28 years old. Which is obvious and makes perfect sense because when you have MJ and you draft a rookie Pippen what would you want him to be? Exactly what he was.

Development, opportunity are crazy underrated. How a guys developed depends on what's around him, coaching, team etc. You don't think Pippen averages 25+ points on last years Sixers? Does so on awful efficiency and without winning many games but it's not like the capabilities weren't there. Just like without Jordan does Pippen become the GOAT perimeter defender? Maybe not. Maybe he goes to an average team that needs offense far more than defense so he coasts on defense a little more to focus on offense.

warriorfan
08-12-2016, 06:51 PM

It isn't very surprising considering Golden State's 3 best defensive players (Draymond Green, Andrew Bogut, and Andre Iguodala) were all out either due to suspension or injury

SouBeachTalents
08-12-2016, 06:56 PM
It isn't very surprising considering Golden State's 3 best defensive players (Draymond Green, Andrew Bogut, and Andre Iguodala) were all out either due to suspension or injury

It's even less surprising considering he was guarded by Curry

GrapeApe
08-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Irving was amazing. Imo his finals performance and overall playoff run propelled him to superstar status. Hitting the game-winner in game 7 of the finals is as big-time as it gets. The scary thing is he's just 24 years old. I admit I had my doubts about him, but it's pretty clear that he's an elite player.

warriorfan
08-12-2016, 07:50 PM
It's even less surprising considering he was guarded by Curry

Steph Curry is a top 5 defender at the point guard position

branslowski
08-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Yo honestly right after the Finals my initial feeling was the Kyries scoring in close games truly led that comeback.. If Bron didn't have Irving, 2/7 would have def happened. Sh!t da game 5 they talk about for Bron, Kyrie had 40+ aswell, and led the team in scoring in the 4th.

JT123
08-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Yo honestly right after the Finals my initial feeling was the Kyries scoring in close games truly led that comeback.. If Bron didn't have Irving, 2/7 would have def happened. Sh!t da game 5 they talk about for Bron, Kyrie had 40+ aswell, and led the team in scoring in the 4th.
:facepalm There were ZERO close games until game 7 you imbecile

These Kobe stans couldn't be more retarded if they tried

Mr Feeny
08-13-2016, 05:13 AM

Lebron = 3rd all-time
Kobe = 9 spots behind = 12th all time
Deal with it:lol

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Also in that Game 5, he became only the second player in NBA history to have a 40+ point game on better than 70% shooting from the floor (17-of-24). The other guy is Wilt Chamberlain and you can imagine the difference in degree of difficulty for Kyrie's makes. He only shot something like 4 FTs in the game too.

I thought it was one of the single best performances I have ever seen in The Finals.

AintNoSunshine
08-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Everyone acknowledges Kyrie destroyed Cuckry. So stop making sht up.

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2016, 01:45 AM
Everyone acknowledges Kyrie destroyed Cuckry. So stop making sht up.
Who?

aj1987
08-14-2016, 02:07 AM
Who?
Kyrie Irving... The Cavs' PG.

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2016, 04:19 AM
Kyrie Irving... The Cavs' PG.

I was asking who is making sht up. Since I was the last one who posted, I assumed you were talking to me.

aj1987
08-14-2016, 04:28 AM
I was asking who is making sht up. Since I was the last one who posted, I assumed you were talking to me.
Got it. My bad.

I'm not Ain'tnosunshine, BTW.

AintNoSunshine
08-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Who?
OP

Everyone from the media to this board(obvious troll posts aside) to people I talk to, acknowledged what Kyrie did so it's not everyone only talk about Lebron.

Dragonyeuw
08-14-2016, 09:13 AM
While I agree scoring wasn't the main strength of his game there are certain situations where he could have flourished more as a scorer. Without Jordan, without the Bulls and Phil Jackson and that system. Pippen averaged 18.6 points his last season before Jordan left. 22 points the very next season at 28 years old. His entire career was spent playing with Jordan at that point. He didn't have the experience of being the 1st scoring option on a team and everything that comes with it.

Jordan averaged 32.5 points on 23.5 shots from Pippen's rookie season until Jordan's first break from the NBA. Pippen wasn't develop nor needed or ever really asked to be an elite scorer first and foremost until he was 28 years old. Which is obvious and makes perfect sense because when you have MJ and you draft a rookie Pippen what would you want him to be? Exactly what he was.

Development, opportunity are crazy underrated. How a guys developed depends on what's around him, coaching, team etc. You don't think Pippen averages 25+ points on last years Sixers? Does so on awful efficiency and without winning many games but it's not like the capabilities weren't there. Just like without Jordan does Pippen become the GOAT perimeter defender? Maybe not. Maybe he goes to an average team that needs offense far more than defense so he coasts on defense a little more to focus on offense.

Maybe, but that's neither here or there. MJ wasn't stopping Pip from developing a more consistent jumpshot or better iso skills. He averaged 18.6 in 93 coming off the Olympics and IIRC, there was an injury he was dealing with as well. He averaged 21ppg in 92, which you neglected to mention. There was absolutely nothing stopping him from exploding offensively in 94, at the absolute peak of his powers with MJ gone. Someone like Grant Hill's scoring jumped from 21ppg to 25ppg( in 2000) the moment he added a decent midrange shot to already elite iso skills.

Could he chuck his way to 25 points on low volume? Sure, any number of good/very good scorers could chuck their way to large ppg totals on shit efficiency. But that's really saying much, is it?

ClipperRevival
08-14-2016, 09:24 PM
I always laugh when people try to prop up Pip as some great scorer who was held back by circumstances. At his absolute peak (ages 28-29), for almost 2 years, he was "the man" and had every chance to show his offensive skills. Results? Topped out at 22 ppg. Pip might be the GOAT 2nd fiddle ever when you consider his D, athleticism, length, play making abilities and sheer all around game but he never had alpha dog scoring abilities.

Just ponder this. MJ, at the age of 50 and 51 with his 2 seasons with the Wizards, had more 40 point games than Pip had in his entire career. There are levels to alpha dog scoring. Some guys get 40 in their sleep while others PEAK at 40 a few times in their career, which is what Pip was.

ClipperRevival
08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Maybe, but that's neither here or there. MJ wasn't stopping Pip from developing a more consistent jumpshot or better iso skills. He averaged 18.6 in 93 coming off the Olympics and IIRC, there was an injury he was dealing with as well. He averaged 21ppg in 92, which you neglected to mention. There was absolutely nothing stopping him from exploding offensively in 94, at the absolute peak of his powers with MJ gone. Someone like Grant Hill's scoring jumped from 21ppg to 25ppg( in 2000) the moment he added a decent midrange shot to already elite iso skills.

Could he chuck his way to 25 points on low volume? Sure, any number of good/very good scorers could chuck their way to large ppg totals on shit efficiency. But that's really saying much, is it?

Any decent scorer can chuck their way to 25+ ppg on bad teams. That's saying NOTHING.

ClipperRevival
08-14-2016, 09:56 PM
In terms of sheer, alpha dog scoring against set defenses in half court sets, Irving's display was one of the best I had ever seen in the playoffs. Dude was straight up unreal creating his own shot time and time when the D was set. LeBron will forever get credit for being "the man" when people talk about these finals but no way you can underestimate how great Irving was as a scorer.

Hey Yo
08-14-2016, 10:13 PM

Pippen provided sufficient scoring, rebounding and All-NBA defense against the opposing teams best scorer........ as a second option.

I'll take that >>>>> 2016 Finals Kyrie

NuggetsFan
08-14-2016, 11:18 PM

I didn't neglect to mention anything. Just compared one season directly to the next season. I never said anything about career highs. Pippen got drafted to the Bulls and for most of his career was never asked to be the main scorer. Being a 1st option takes time to get use too. It's something that's developed. Had Pippen gone to a different situation it would have shifted the focus on what his role was. You didn't want Pippen dropping 25+ plus with Jordan at the expense of his rebounding, defending, playmaking.

It doesn't say much. Just pointing out that context and opportunity are important as well as development. Obviously dropping 25 on the Sixers isn't impressive. If you don't think a player getting drafted by a team that had the GOAT had any impact on his game your naive. Obviously far more positive than negative. Not a stretch to think that had Pippen got drafted by the Nuggets his scoring would have been different or had he got a couple seasons to adapt being the focal point of the offense he could have improved and built on what he did as a 28 year old without Jordan.

My main point was Jordan/LeBron are different players. You want different things from there supporting cast. I'd rather Irving if I had LeBron and Pippen if I had Jordan. Why would I want Irving dropping 30 with Jordan with no playmaking, rebounding, defense? With LeBron because he's not MJ scoring the ball and because of his defense/floor general capabilities Irving is the better choice.

RedBlackAttack
08-15-2016, 08:02 PM
In terms of sheer, alpha dog scoring against set defenses in half court sets, Irving's display was one of the best I had ever seen in the playoffs. Dude was straight up unreal creating his own shot time and time when the D was set. LeBron will forever get credit for being "the man" when people talk about these finals but no way you can underestimate how great Irving was as a scorer.
I think his performance in that series will age well. Some great individual performances are just lost to the hands of time for reasons ranging from the marketability of the player to it being a one-off, fluky kind of thing.

Kyrie isn't going anywhere and I do believe that he has the kind of game that will mature extremely well and he's obviously under the Nike umbrella, ie some of the greatest marketers in the world.

Who was the last player to have the kind of series that Irving did, have his team win and that player NOT win FMVP?

LeBron is the x-factor every time he steps on the floor and he absolutely deserved the award in this case, but Irving was right there. And, the way they did it ... essentially combining to mentally and physically break the Warriors?

The best players' careers have a "story."

Kyrie's is starting to take shape ...

Kyrie Irving - My Way (2016 NBA Finals Mini-Movie) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s696wUoQbDY)

Lebron23
08-15-2016, 08:10 PM
Irving is one of the best 2nd scoring option in NBA History.