PDA

View Full Version : JR Swish Is Better Than Klay Thompson

BeastMode24
08-13-2016, 07:55 PM
klay is just a better catch and shoot player other than Swish is the better player.

PistonsFan#21
08-13-2016, 08:06 PM
klay is just a better catch and shoot player other than Swish is the better player.

catch and shoot is pretty much all Jr Smith does at this point of his career...and Klay is the better defender

TomCat
08-13-2016, 08:08 PM
****ing stacked

ShawkFactory
08-13-2016, 08:09 PM
He is not, actually

RedBlackAttack
08-13-2016, 08:11 PM
JR is an absolute beast on catch-and-shoot situations. I don't know if he's better than Klay at it, but he's one of the best in the league.

Because of the Cavs' star-power, JR's game gets lost in the shuffle a lot of times. He's a great 4th/5th option in any offensive system, great natural athlete, and an underrated defender.

AintNoSunshine
08-13-2016, 08:17 PM
I defend JR most of the time but the only thing he can do better than Klay is dunking and fade away 3's. I am talking about on the basketball court tho, off the court I know JR has a lot of talents over Klay, like how to roll a blunt and etc.

Spurs m8
08-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Klay would be one of those dudes that puffs some weed and bugs out... Wiggin that the weeds been laced with acid and shit hahab

RedBlackAttack
08-13-2016, 08:24 PM
I defend JR most of the time but the only thing he can do better than Klay is dunking and fade away 3's. I am talking about on the basketball court tho, off the court I know JR has a lot of talents over Klay, like how to roll a blunt and etc.
JR has a much better handle than Klay, but that's not saying all that much. He's a far more athletic player and moves much more fluidly.

They're actually not all that similar of players outside of both being very gifted shooters.

k0kakw0rld
08-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Stop saying some bullshit please

AintNoSunshine
08-13-2016, 09:02 PM
JR has a much better handle than Klay, but that's not saying all that much. He's a far more athletic player and moves much more fluidly.

They're actually not all that similar of players outside of both being very gifted shooters.
Sure. I didn't mention those only because he doesn't utilize these advantages on the Cavs anymore. He drives the ball like at most twice a game. And even tho he's the better athlete he's not a better defender than Klay. I would just put it this way, their talents are different but their roles on their current team is very similar and Klay is better at it by a decent margin.

scuzzy
08-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Klay would be one of those dudes that puffs some weed and bugs out... Wiggin that the weeds been laced with acid and shit hahab

Nah, klays no rookie, hes known to luv the herb :pimp:

So much that his teammates even joke abt it to the press

SexSymbol
08-14-2016, 09:39 AM
asinine statement.
Klay is one of the best defenders, dude doesn't let up on that end.
He can also post up and is a better shooter, much more consistent than JR smith.
It's actually hard to think of a thing that JR does better than Klay besides dunking.

DukeDelonte13
08-14-2016, 09:57 AM
JR is a better bad shot maker and better at creating his own shot.

Klay is a better pure shooter and better defender, but JR is not far behind Klay in any of those aspects.

plowking
08-14-2016, 09:59 AM

JR is all wasted movement with his handle. He has these long exaggerated crossovers that he does and then just stays in front of his man. Absolutely pointless.

I'm probably the biggest Klay "hater" on here, and I think he is extremely overrated, but he is a far better player than JR.

swagga
08-14-2016, 10:27 AM
JR is all wasted movement with his handle. He has these long exaggerated crossovers that he does and then just stays in front of his man. Absolutely pointless.

I'm probably the biggest Klay "hater" on here, and I think he is extremely overrated, but he is a far better player than JR.

finally reason. lol at JR being anywhere near klay thompson. klay is shooting at a historic rate in catch-and-shoot situations.

LostCause
08-14-2016, 08:33 PM

This

The **** is up with these ridiculous threads lately. Are yal comparing these players based off NBA 2k ratings or some shit?

Orlando Magic
08-14-2016, 08:37 PM
This

The **** is up with these ridiculous threads lately. Are yal comparing these players based off NBA 2k ratings or some shit?

OP is warriorfan aka jabbar.

JebronLames
08-14-2016, 09:36 PM
This

According the to LeBron haters, Kyrie is a top 3 player in the league, love is a top 10 player, Tristan is a top 5 center, JR is a top 3 SG, shumpert is an elite defender, and RJ is the best bench player in the league.

Velocirap31
08-14-2016, 09:43 PM
A stupid thread with a stupid comparison by a stupid poster.

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2016, 10:22 PM

I'm assuming you've seen Klay attempt to dribble? I'm not saying JR is Tim Hardaway out there, but he can move around with the ball pretty effortlessly. And, it's not completely "pointless." I've seen him make enough long, turnaround fadeaways off-the-dribble to know that he can use his handle to help him get to his spots.

Klay is much more robotic in his movements and if you can get him moving around in space without an escape valve, he can be forced into some bad turnovers/shots. Averaging almost 2 turnovers a game is probably higher than it should be given his role on that team. If he was a little less loose with his dribble, he'd be much better for it.

Note: I'm not saying Smith is better than Klay Thompson. Klay is a more consistent shooter who would work great in pretty much any system, whereas JR has to be in a unique situation (like he is here) for him to shine. But, saying that Klay does everything better than JR is an overstatement.

Lebronxrings
08-14-2016, 10:40 PM
asinine statement.
He can also post up and is a better shooter, much more consistent than JR smith.
It's actually hard to think of a thing that JR does better than Klay besides dunking.
This post actually wasn't half bad.

You're improving...

But still a terrible poster.

TemporaMutantur
08-14-2016, 10:48 PM

On point. :pimp:

FireDavidKahn
08-14-2016, 10:49 PM
:facepalm

FireDavidKahn
08-14-2016, 10:51 PM
If Curry didn't exist, Thompson's name would be thrown about as one of the GOAT shooters.

Klay doesn't get that hype because Curry is alive.

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2016, 11:13 PM
The biggest difference between Klay Thompson and JR Smith is basketball IQ. JR has "gotten better" in this area, but that's not saying much considering where he started. He has spent the last two years trying to be broken of bad habits on and off the court that almost ended his career prematurely. I said he has gotten better and he has, but I still don't trust him when things get really heated or he gets pressured in big games.

He can commit a lot of really dumb, pointless fouls in key situations or go full Jon Jones with a spinning back-fist.

Klay Thompson, on the other hand, plays a very intelligent brand of basketball on both ends of the court. He's on the other end of the spectrum.

If you want to look at something that separates these guys, that is where I would start personally.

BeastMode24
08-15-2016, 12:34 AM
asinine statement.

swish is the better defensive player. ty lue said swish is the best defensive player on the Cavs. klay constantly gets lit up while Swish locks dudes down. b2b years he absolutely shutdown korver and klay.

aj1987
08-15-2016, 04:13 AM

This.

Klay played some incredible defense on Irving. Literally every announcer was gushing about his defense. Irving was just on another level though.

That being said, defense is not Klay's best trait. It's scoring and he's an elite scorer. Something which JR is not.

22/4/2/1/1 on 60% TS in the RS
24/4/2/1/1 on 59% TS in the PO's
20/3/2/1/1 on 56% TS in the Finals

Those numbers with elite defense puts his a couple of tiers above JR.

BarberSchool
08-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Klay would be one of those dudes that puffs some weed and bugs out... Wiggin that the weeds been laced with acid and shit hahabThat sums up the list of things JR is supreme to Klay at.

Everything to do with any aspect of the game of basketball, Klay is markedly better than JR.

Also, AFA JR being better than klay at smoking ..... Don't be fooled ... JR grew up very comfortable in a well off, predominantly Jewish neighborhood in NJ. And he cried like a B!tch as the winner, in post-finals press conferences. While Klay as the loser was a grown ass man, not a tear. So there's that. Don't let JR's Ink and glare fool you, kids. He ain't no thug. He just plays one on TV.

toneloc103
08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
asinine statement.

actually your statement is asinine. What do you base your statement on? The announcers? Klay is very heavy footed and not a great defender by any means.
A great shooter? yes probably one of the best. He fits what the Dubs do. I think overall he is just about even with JR as a player

AintNoSunshine
08-15-2016, 06:06 PM
actually your statement is asinine. What do you base your statement on? The announcers? Klay is very heavy footed and not a great defender by any means.
A great shooter? yes probably one of the best. He fits what the Dubs do. I think overall he is just about even with JR as a player
:facepalm

aj1987
08-15-2016, 06:14 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Irving overcame Klay's defense. Dude played some incredible defense on Irving. You might want to go back and rewatch the series.

BigKAT
08-15-2016, 06:20 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Irving overcame Klay's defense. Dude played some incredible defense on Irving. You might want to go back and rewatch the series.

I agree. Most of Kyrie's shots weren't open. It wasn't like the guys defending him 'Gave' him those shots.

Either way, back to the topic at hand,

I love J.R, something about his shot selection makes me cringe, but at least once a game he makes a crazy shot fall and drops your jaw.
Klay's pretty good, but he has been pretty cold in Rio so far, so I dunno about him.

Then again, I'd take him as my 2nd option over J.R smith any day,
all the appreciation to JR and his contributions, Klay is a proven championship second fiddle. I don't see that ever happening with JR.

aj1987
08-15-2016, 06:30 PM
I agree. Most of Kyrie's shots weren't open. It wasn't like the guys defending him 'Gave' him those shots.

Either way, back to the topic at hand,

I love J.R, something about his shot selection makes me cringe, but at least once a game he makes a crazy shot fall and drops your jaw.
Klay's pretty good, but he has been pretty cold in Rio so far, so I dunno about him.

Then again, I'd take him as my 2nd option over J.R smith any day,
all the appreciation to JR and his contributions, Klay is a proven championship second fiddle. I don't see that ever happening with JR.
JR, never in his career, ever came close to doing what Klay did this season. Literally not even close. Klay is an elite player. An All-Star, All-NBA, and borderline All-Def player. JR is just a role player.

We really need to stop overhyping players whenever they have a couple of good games.

Heck even in the Finals JR averaged 11/3/2/1 on 54% TS, compares to Klay's 20/3/2/1/1 on 56% TS. JR did hit some clutch AF shots, but he's still a couple of tires below Klay as a player.

BigKAT
08-15-2016, 06:45 PM
JR, never in his career, ever came close to doing what Klay did this season. Literally not even close. Klay is an elite player. An All-Star, All-NBA, and borderline All-Def player. JR is just a role player.

We really need to stop overhyping players whenever they have a couple of good games.

Heck even in the Finals JR averaged 11/3/2/1 on 54% TS, compares to Klay's 20/3/2/1/1 on 56% TS. JR did hit some clutch AF shots, but he's still a couple of tires below Klay as a player.

Klay is a great defender.
But I don't see him getting all NBA honors if Golden state isn't a 65+ wins team, you know?

The Guards are just too stacked.
Think about guys like James Harden, Kyrie Irving, John Wall (Not his best season I admit), Jimmy Butler and others -DIDN'T- get voted in as All NBA.

Kudos to Klay,
But in the same way that Ginobli and Parker were so often overlooked in All NBA/All stars voting due to the great system behind their team, I think the same could be said for Klay.

I don't really see him getting All-NBA honors in his career again, especially not with Durant on the warriors.

P.S : This in no way opposes the fact that Klay > JR

aj1987
08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Klay is a great defender.
But I don't see him getting all NBA honors if Golden state isn't a 65+ wins team, you know?

The Guards are just too stacked.
Think about guys like James Harden, Kyrie Irving, John Wall (Not his best season I admit), Jimmy Butler and others -DIDN'T- get voted in as All NBA.
Kyrie and Wall had no business being in the All-NBA teams. They just weren't All-NBA material.

But in the same way that Ginobli and Parker were so often overlooked in All NBA/All stars voting due to the great system behind their team, I think the same could be said for Klay.
TP and Manu have been in the ASG and All-NBA multiple times. :confusedshrug:

Even if they weren't on the Spurs, they would've managed to get on there. They're talented AF.

I don't really see him getting All-NBA honors in his career again, especially not with Durant on the warriors.
I disagree. I think he'll make the 3rd team next season again. He's a very good defender and an ATG shooter. A dude who manages to put up 22/4/3 on elite efficiency is going to make the All-NBA team. Unless Kyrie is better than last season in the RS and Wall takes a big step forward as well.

BigKAT
08-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Kyrie and Wall had no business being in the All-NBA teams. They just weren't All-NBA material.

TP and Manu have been in the ASG and All-NBA multiple times. :confusedshrug:

Even if they weren't on the Spurs, they would've managed to get on there. They're talented AF.

I disagree. I think he'll make the 3rd team next season again. He's a very good defender and an ATG shooter. A dude who manages to put up 22/4/3 on elite efficiency is going to make the All-NBA team. Unless Kyrie is better than last season in the RS and Wall takes a big step forward as well.

That's the thing,
Do you see him putting 22 per game with Curry, Draymond and Durant on the team? I see him topping out at 16 PPG tops.

But, we'll just wait and see mate, I like Klay and I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

And btw Ginobili was at the all star game only twice, considering he was part of the 'Big three' of a team that won several championships I'd say that's not a whole lot.

aj1987
08-16-2016, 06:15 AM
That's the thing,
Do you see him putting 22 per game with Curry, Draymond and Durant on the team? I see him topping out at 16 PPG tops.
The only addition is KD and he's going to take away shots from the big 3. Even Curry's scoring is going to drop significantly. He won't come close to 30 PPG. Doesn't mean that he's incapable of scoring 30. IMO, if KD hadn't gone to GS, Klay would've hit 25 PPG this season.

You're probably right though. Dude probably won't make the All-NBA team, because of KD. He still is an All-NBA level talent.

But, we'll just wait and see mate, I like Klay and I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
I really like Klay's game as well, even though he can be a bit inconsistent. When he's on fire though... :bowdown:

And btw Ginobili was at the all star game only twice, considering he was part of the 'Big three' of a team that won several championships I'd say that's not a whole lot.
The problem with Manu is that he came into the league at 25. Even his first season, he didn't get any burn. In his career, he never really played significant minutes. Ever.

warriorfan
08-16-2016, 06:20 AM
Klay is an elite player. An All-Star, All-NBA, and borderline All-Def player.
Reported

raprap
08-16-2016, 06:27 AM
As a talent, they're not far from each other... But as a player, Klay is a tier above JR. JR can't be a reliable 2nd option like Klay can. He's much more effective as a 4th/5th option on a contender. See New York Knicks JR for example. They tried to have him as a 2nd option to Melo, and that was a disaster.

GimmeThat
08-16-2016, 06:33 AM
my call option is that we may well call it as a debate of differences between Richard Hamilton and Jerry Stackhouse

for what it's worth, what does it really mean when you get to be paid for an extra year to play professional basketball, to have an extra year of career

aj1987
08-16-2016, 06:39 AM
Reported
22/4/2/1/1 on 60% TS in the RS
24/4/2/1/1 on 59% TS in the PO's
20/3/2/1/1 on 56% TS in the Finals

Better than Cuckrry in the Finals as well, considering the fact that he wasn't a god-awful defender.

Spurs m8
08-16-2016, 06:42 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpopr65UEAA9T7a.jpg