PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that hard to field a dominant Olympic BBall team?

AintNoSunshine
08-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Throw in a couple athletic bigs. A couple great playmakers. Some great shooters and overall scorers. 1 or 2 lock down defender. Fill the rest with hustle role players. :confusedshrug:

SamuraiSWISH
08-14-2016, 10:14 PM
2014 had it and we didn't have all the big guns

Kyrie
Curry
Harden
Faried
Davis

Utterly dominated

This A team lineup would totally destroy

CP3 / Kyrie
Curry / Westbrook / Klay
Leonard / Harden
LeBron / Durant / Melo
Davis / Green

Davis was critical too. He's a big who can block shots, switch and be active defensively to cover for people. Especially on the pick and roll where Demarcus lack of defensive awareness is getting murdered. And can also knock down high pick and roll jumpers.

warriorfan
08-14-2016, 10:15 PM
No Curry is huge

bdreason
08-14-2016, 10:31 PM
A lot of the top players declined to go. It's kind of crazy that our team is actually weak at PG and PF/C, considering how much talent we have at those positions. If this team had say, Mike Conley and Anthony Davis, it would look completely different IMO.

FKAri
08-14-2016, 10:31 PM
No Curry is huge
Therefore, Curry is small? :lol

iamgine
08-14-2016, 10:49 PM
From the US it's not hard. Just pick an NBA team. ANY good team really where most of the members are Americans and are willing to go to the Olympics. Get the coach too.

They have played and practiced together for a long time. Both offensively and defensively. Sure some teams might match their talent or even outtalent them (Spain maybe?), but they would still wreck these teams due to on court chemistry. Not just win, but they would flat out kill all the other teams.

RRR3
08-14-2016, 10:51 PM
No Curry is huge
Agreed, not having the GOAT choker on the team makes things easier for team USA. Nice of ZVC to sit out so his country would have a chance to win.

FireDavidKahn
08-14-2016, 10:53 PM
You've broken the code!

Better tell all the nations on earth about this.

Real14
08-14-2016, 10:56 PM
USA needs curry, kobe and A.D.

RRR3
08-14-2016, 10:58 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/53349951.jpg

I think he's trying to communicate with us but I'm not sure...

SamuraiSWISH
08-14-2016, 11:23 PM
How a handsome, white, all American former Dukie hasn't been on Team USA yet is puzzling.

A guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can catch / shoot with the best of them, is money, and moves without the ball. Not even a serious liability on defense either.

He would be a great fit for the international game, which is basically a more physical version of NCAA ball. And he's already has rapport with the head coach.

AintNoSunshine
08-14-2016, 11:47 PM
From the US it's not hard. Just pick an NBA team. ANY good team really where most of the members are Americans and are willing to go to the Olympics. Get the coach too.

They have played and practiced together for a long time. Both offensively and defensively. Sure some teams might match their talent or even outtalent them (Spain maybe?), but they would still wreck these teams due to on court chemistry. Not just win, but they would flat out kill all the other teams.

I doubt it.

1. Unless we are talking about the top 3 teams, I don't think the other team are good enough to key word DOMINATE the world.

2. Most of the NBA teams have international players, some of them an integral part of their NBA success.

3. The NBA team really has to be much better than the other national teams, otherwise teams could catch them on an off night. Remember the Olympics is one and done and not a 7 game series.

I definitely think the US needs to field an All Star team to ensure gold. But key word here is TEAM, not a pool of talents.

GoatBoy
08-15-2016, 12:57 AM
How a handsome, white, all American former Dukie hasn't been on Team USA yet is puzzling.

A guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can catch / shoot with the best of them, is money, and moves without the ball. Not even a serious liability on defense either.

He would be a great fit for the international game, which is basically a more physical version of NCAA ball. And he's already has rapport with the head coach.
Seriously

JohnMax
08-15-2016, 01:24 AM

https://twitter.com/AnyGivenWeds/status/761033942577192960

iamgine
08-15-2016, 03:11 AM
I doubt it.

1. Unless we are talking about the top 3 teams, I don't think the other team are good enough to key word DOMINATE the world.

2. Most of the NBA teams have international players, some of them an integral part of their NBA success.

3. The NBA team really has to be much better than the other national teams, otherwise teams could catch them on an off night. Remember the Olympics is one and done and not a 7 game series.

I definitely think the US needs to field an All Star team to ensure gold. But key word here is TEAM, not a pool of talents.
I believe a well coached round 1 playoff exit NBA team would wreck Team USA, any version of them. Say, Detroit Pistons or Boston Celtics.

Basketball is a team game. Team USA is cruising on their talent, thus they can look really good against inferior competition who also doesn't have much chemistry. But if they meet a team who can match them in athleticism and can execute much more complex offensive and defensive scheme they'd lose pretty badly.

This NBA team would be WAY better than any other teams.

This goes beyond basketball too. Soccer is the same way, whether it's olympics or the world cup. Olympics is pretty much a 2nd rate competition.

masonanddixon
08-15-2016, 03:26 AM

You're a racist piece of shit. Reddick has always been a very good defensive player. Just assuming every white player is a liability of defense.

Eat a dick.

LostCause
08-15-2016, 04:19 AM
The rest of the world is catching up pretty rapidly to be honest, it's really fun to see

I'm honestly not confident at all this team will win Gold, they're cutting it way too close and they've obviously been exposed. Hopefully we pull through, though.

Jasper
08-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Throw in a couple athletic bigs. A couple great playmakers. Some great shooters and overall scorers. 1 or 2 lock down defender. Fill the rest with hustle role players. :confusedshrug:

Euro game is far more complicated than that.

They do need bigs for board work , and defending rim , cause the Olympic rules are different...

But exterior defense is VERY IMPORTANT

ILLsmak
08-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Dudes are getting worse at bball, playing as a 5 man unit. both on offense and defense, you can see this by how easy scrub teams are forcing us into iso ball and back cutting us.

Still, we should win. If we don't win, it'll be a travesty.

Our dominant Olympic team would prolly be less star power... and dudes who actually wanted to be there and play all out. Gimme 2nd tier guys who are hungry.

-Smak

andgar923
08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
The Re-Deem Team barely won.

It had Kobe, Bron, Wade, Melo, Howard etc.

Lebron23
08-15-2016, 05:44 PM
The Re-Deem Team barely won.

It had Kobe, Bron, Wade, Melo, Howard etc.

Peak Spain was the best international teams of all time.

andgar923
08-15-2016, 06:06 PM
So what you're saying is Bron and co. are overrated as f*ck :confusedshrug:

Spain is soft as f*ck compared to the Croatian team. The Dream Team would make the Gasol brothers their b*tches. Imagine Pau's little brother trying to get physical with Malone?

Aint happening.

http://i.imgur.com/M2tB1Cu.gif

Lebron23
08-15-2016, 06:11 PM
So what you're saying is Bron and co. are overrated as f*ck :confusedshrug:

Spain is soft as f*ck compared to the Croatian team. The Dream Team would make the Gasol brothers their b*tches. Imagine Pau's little brother trying to get physical with Malone?

Aint happening.

http://i.imgur.com/M2tB1Cu.gif

They would beat the Dream Team under the Current FIBA Rules.

andgar923
08-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Mods

BigKAT
08-15-2016, 06:14 PM
The rest of the world is catching up pretty rapidly to be honest, it's really fun to see

I'm honestly not confident at all this team will win Gold, they're cutting it way too close and they've obviously been exposed. Hopefully we pull through, though.

This, pretty much.

International players go home, to their respective teams, and much in the way that Lebron left the heat with many lessons to impart on his old-new team, I think the same could be assumed for NBA players that play for international teams.

Can't you imagine Pau Gasol and Tony parker taking on a leadership role? Heck, even a young player like Valenchunas (That center I dunno how to spell his name) could give important tips on how to deal with american players.

Look at Cleveland Pre-2010 and 2014 and forward,
Do you see them making awesome pickups like Richard Jeffreson or trading for J.R Smith, Shumpert and Mozgov? I mean the best thing they managed pre-2010 was sign Mo williams in 08'.

there's a 100+ international players, and I reckon that they are taking the lessons learned in the NBA to heart.

deja vu
08-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Because Pau Gasoft would destroy David Robinson, Ewing, Malone or Sir Charles.

Rudy Fernandez would destroy Michael Jordan too.

FIBA rules or not, there's no scenario Spain comes within 20 of the Dream Team.

FreezingTsmoove
08-16-2016, 12:18 AM

:facepalm

warriorfan
08-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Reported

FKAri
08-16-2016, 12:47 AM
Because Pau Gasoft would destroy David Robinson, Ewing, Malone or Sir Charles.

Rudy Fernandez would destroy Michael Jordan too.

FIBA rules or not, there's no scenario Spain comes within 20 of the Dream Team.

They probably wouldn't lose but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. The original Dream Team was less practiced and less familiar with the international game than the Redeem Team. While they were even more talented we've realized that the USA's problem has never been talent related. People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around this.

If the US never participated in Olympic Basketball, we'd all be laughing at the prospect of team USA not winning every game by 50. Heck peak Tim Duncan struggled in the Olympics. Anything is possible.

Paul George 24
08-16-2016, 01:03 AM
No Curry is huge
BIGGEST CHOKER OF ALL TIME HISTORY

Paul George 24
08-16-2016, 01:05 AM
LOL.....LECHOKE STAN MAKING EXCUSE

Swaggin916
08-16-2016, 01:55 AM
Basically Chris Paul on the team would do it. True point guard and makes life a living hell for oppositions pg. No cousins or Draymond Green would do wonders too. Sub them out for anyone of quality.

deja vu
08-16-2016, 07:56 AM
They probably wouldn't lose but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. The original Dream Team was less practiced and less familiar with the international game than the Redeem Team. While they were even more talented we've realized that the USA's problem has never been talent related. People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around this.

If the US never participated in Olympic Basketball, we'd all be laughing at the prospect of team USA not winning every game by 50. Heck peak Tim Duncan struggled in the Olympics. Anything is possible.
If the USA sends their best players they will never lose a game. It doesn't matter how long they practice together or how familiar they are to international play. Sheer talent and athleticism trump all that. Heck, the best international player (except Dirk, but he has poor teammates) would be like the 11th or 12th man on the US team.

It's only close because the US has basically their B team and is not as well balanced as the previous editions.

scm5
08-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I wanted to see an all SF olympic team....

Something along the lines of:

Lebron at PG
PG at SG
KD at SF
Kawhi at PF
Draymond at C

Backups would be Melo, Parsons, Hayward, Barnes

BigKAT
08-16-2016, 03:58 PM
I wanted to see an all SF olympic team....

Something along the lines of:

Lebron at PG
PG at SG
KD at SF
Kawhi at PF
Draymond at C

Backups would be Melo, Parsons, Hayward, Barnes

That's actually a really interesting concept.
I'd put KD at PF and Kawahi at SF though, there's like 4 inches between them I think, and Kawhi is better suited to guard fast wings.

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2016, 04:38 PM
You're a racist piece of shit. Reddick has always been a very good defensive player. Just assuming every white player is a liability of defense.

Eat a dick.
First of all, I'm white. All the brothers think I'm racist on here when I merely speak the truth in regards to both races. So, stop.

Second of all, a lot of white guys are liabilities defensively. Stop pretending otherwise. Most of them just can't match up quickness wise. Not all. Most.

Third of all, one of my favorite defenders ever is white. Kirk Hinrich. Only guy in person I've seen lock up PRIME Kobe or Wade.

Fourth of all, I'm giving Reddick respect for not being a pushover defensively. I'm complimenting him. He'd be perfect for the international game.

We all know you're the true racist POS here. Look at your damn username.

Euroleague
08-16-2016, 04:54 PM

No NBA team could beat elite European national teams. You are delusional as ****.

NBA teams have terrible coaching, terrible team play, and they play with almost no defense and practically zero physicality.

NBA teams would be annihilated against well organized big European national teams in a FIBA tournament.

Even with the refs always helping Team USA in every single game they play....they would lose if it was just an NBA team.

Euroleague
08-16-2016, 04:57 PM
I believe a well coached round 1 playoff exit NBA team would wreck Team USA, any version of them. Say, Detroit Pistons or Boston Celtics.

Basketball is a team game. Team USA is cruising on their talent, thus they can look really good against inferior competition who also doesn't have much chemistry. But if they meet a team who can match them in athleticism and can execute much more complex offensive and defensive scheme they'd lose pretty badly.

This NBA team would be WAY better than any other teams.

This goes beyond basketball too. Soccer is the same way, whether it's olympics or the world cup. Olympics is pretty much a 2nd rate competition.

Olympics is 3rd rate competition, not 2nd.

1. EuroBasket
2. FIBA World Cup
3. Olympics

That's universally accepted as fact everywhere except USA (which is delusional about most things).

As for NBA teams beating Team USA.....

:lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :rolleyes:

Euroleague
08-16-2016, 04:59 PM

Late 90s to early 2000s Serbia was better.

Euroleague
08-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Basically Chris Paul on the team would do it. True point guard and makes life a living hell for oppositions pg. No cousins or Draymond Green would do wonders too. Sub them out for anyone of quality.

Chris Paul wasn't much help in 2006, when he let Theo Papaloukas and Vassilis Spanoulis destroy him.

He was relied on to actually produce on that 2006 US team and he was a dud.

He's way too small and weak for the much more physical FIBA basketball.

Bigger guards are a better fit in FIBA. NBA guards are basically tiny for international basketball, and Paul is tiny for the NBA.

fourkicks44
08-17-2016, 02:46 AM
Pay the players to play based on performance indicators.

Watch them torch everyone. Simple. Cash rules.

TAZORAC
08-17-2016, 05:56 AM
Olympics is 3rd rate competition, not 2nd.

1. EuroBasket
2. FIBA World Cup
3. Olympics

That's universally accepted as fact everywhere except USA (which is delusional about most things).

As for NBA teams beating Team USA.....

:lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :rolleyes:

EuroLeague you say the same thing every year.

GimmeThat
08-17-2016, 07:57 AM
might as well ask the committee how hard it is to decide on its next location

SamuraiSWISH
08-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Lol at Euroleague acting like that fluke Greece win over USA in 2006 was Paul's fault.

CarlosBoozer
08-17-2016, 09:29 PM
I don't think we'll see a dominant team until the young talent start developing, superstars need rest and most of the superstars now are getting old

FKAri
08-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Pay the players to play based on performance indicators.

Watch them torch everyone. Simple. Cash rules.
What a genius idea to do away with hero ball :lol :facepalm

SamuraiSWISH
08-17-2016, 11:02 PM
Cmon man.

It took rigged refereeing in the gold medal game, and Team USA still won by double digits.

The only reason Spain gave them trouble was because of their twin tower Gasol brothers with their size, skill and physicality down low. Howard could only do so much. Bosh, and Boozer were negated.

The Dream Team? Have every bit of the perimeter star power and shooting (better actually) but they have size the Redeem Team, and 2012 squad simply don't have.

David Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, and Karl Malone are just too physical down in the post to match up with them.

Dream Team would have no issues. That team and the 96 squad had too much size, and talent down low. With a plethora of wing players, athleticism, and guys that can move the ball. Or play without it.

fourkicks44
08-18-2016, 02:45 AM
What a genius idea to do away with hero ball :lol :facepalm

Gotta be smart about it. Obviously you wouldn't pay every player a bonus if they scored over 30.

andgar923
08-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Cmon man.

It took rigged refereeing in the gold medal game, and Team USA still won by double digits.

The only reason Spain gave them trouble was because of their twin tower Gasol brothers with their size, skill and physicality down low. Howard could only do so much. Bosh, and Boozer were negated.

The Dream Team? Have every bit of the perimeter star power and shooting (better actually) but they have size the Redeem Team, and 2012 squad simply don't have.

David Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, and Karl Malone are just too physical down in the post to match up with them.

Dream Team would have no issues. That team and the 96 squad had too much size, and talent down low. With a plethora of wing players, athleticism, and guys that can move the ball. Or play without it.

Speaking of Dream Team, not only were they stacked in the paint, their attitude was utterly different.

The Dream Team's bigs PLAYED like bigs and acted like they gave no shits. They banged inside, threw bows, they were simply tougher... much much tougher than anything the 2k era has given us.

People are seriously using Bogut as a reason for the USA Team to struggle? :facepalm

Bogut would've been taken out by Chuck himself.
The Gasol brothers, Pau and the fat one would've been clamped down by Ewing and Malone. The modern USA teams have nobody that could compete with the Dream Team's bigs.

Does anyone remember when Dwight was hailed as an all time great?:roll:

People were actually claiming he was an all time great, that the USA Team with him on the floor would beat the Dream Team. They had a hard time beating the Gasol brothers and they expected him to compete vs Malone, Ewing and Chuck?

LOLS

Euroleague
08-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Lol at Euroleague acting like that fluke Greece win over USA in 2006 was Paul's fault.

It was. It was the fault of Paul and Kirk Hinrich. They let Spanoulis destroy them.