PDA

View Full Version : Shaq with 0 ALL NBA Defensive 1st team selection in 19 nba seasons (Overrated)

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Most dominant my ass. Top 5 my ass :no:

Discuss

Fire Colangelo
08-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Shaq isn't as fundamental defensively as someone like Tim Duncan.

But he's a good post defender (due to his size and his strength) and most importantly he imposes fear on the opponent guards.

Milbuck
08-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Peak Shaq finished 2nd in DPOY voting and anchored the #1 defense in the league. You're retarded.

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 02:36 AM
Peak Shaq finished 2nd in DPOY voting and anchored the #1 defense in the league. You're retarded.
That's all I hear, peak Shaq this peak Shaq that. Duncan dominated his ass for years. They talking about most dominant big man. He was just a bully (physically superior with incredible charisma on and off the court). Make no mistakes, his ass is behind Duncan out of the top 5.

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 02:38 AM
Finished 2nd in DPOY (that's cute) for how many years did he find himself in that position? :confusedshrug:

aj1987
08-15-2016, 04:03 AM
Finished 2nd in DPOY (that's cute) for how many years did he find himself in that position? :confusedshrug:
Duncan's highest finish is #3 and he did that ONCE. Kobe has 9 All-NBA First selections is he a better defender than Pippen?

Stop being retarded. Shaq is top 5 and you just have to deal with it.

Bankaii
08-15-2016, 04:25 AM
It generally helps to watch basketball before 2010 so you know what the hell is going on.

It's harder to find good threads here than it it is to find dumb ones.:facepalm

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 04:26 AM
Duncan's highest finish is #3 and he did that ONCE. Kobe has 9 All-NBA First selections is he a better defender than Pippen?

Stop being retarded. Shaq is top 5 and you just have to deal with it.
No he ain't

aj1987
08-15-2016, 04:38 AM
No he ain't
Excellent argument. Go back to stanning Deron Williams, dumbass.

jbryan1984
08-15-2016, 11:16 AM
I never remember Shaq ever being the best defensive center in the league??

Im Still Ballin
08-15-2016, 11:19 AM
All defensive teams are the worst measurement of an individual's defense

DPOY and DPOY voting/rank is a much better subjective analysis, to go along with defense advanced metrics

Haymaker
08-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Shaq isn't as fundamental defensively as someone like Tim Duncan.

But he's a good post defender (due to his size and his strength) and most importantly he imposes fear on the opponent guards.

This

PJR
08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Shaq was pretty bad defending screen and roll. Detroit killed him in 2004.

Rim protection and lane intimidation was he extent of Shaq's defense. That's all he really neeeded in his heyday though.

MP.Trey
08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Centers have a hard time making these All-Defensive team spots.

Guards and Forward have 4 spots each to be able to get in. Centers only have 2. Meaning you could have been considered the 3rd best defender at your position (or the league, potentially) your entire career, and never make an all-defensive team.

I don't think Shaq was dominant defensively but I do think he struck fear in his opponents and was able to body up most people he went against. If Centers got 4 spots every year, I'm willing to bet Shaq would have a couple more selections.

Im Still Ballin
08-15-2016, 11:41 AM
It always came down to effort for Shaq

in 99-2000, he was in really great shape, and motivated

DavisIsMyUniBro
08-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Honestly, I think it's extremely obvious Duncan was a better defender for the majority of their careers, and peak vs peak on defense as well, and honestly Duncan is higher on my all time list than shaq.

Shaq was more dominant in his prime though, and had a better one.

The fact that Duncan never got dpoy is just ridiculous

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 01:04 PM
All defensive teams are the worst measurement of an individual's defense

DPOY and DPOY voting/rank is a much better subjective analysis, to go along with defense advanced metrics
Duncan > Shaq defensively eye test or nah

Duncan anchors a defense better than anybody I know

I mean look at what a way past his prime Duncan was able to do vs the Heat 2013 and 2014.

feyki
08-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Duncan > Shaq defensively eye test or nah

Duncan anchors a defense better than anybody I know

I mean look at what a way past his prime Duncan was able to do vs the Heat 2013 and 2014.

Don't forget Ben Wallace . They played in the same time .

Smoke117
08-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Honestly, I think it's extremely obvious Duncan was a better defender for the majority of their careers, and peak vs peak on defense as well, and honestly Duncan is higher on my all time list than shaq.

Not really...his prime and peak defensively pretty much coincided with Ben Wallace's and he was more dominant, period. To be fair though, they did give it to Ron Artest on season when he had no business receiving it. (he wasn't even the most impactful defender on his team...Jermaine O'neal was) Though that had no bearing on Duncan as Wallace was the best that season too.

aj1987
08-15-2016, 05:10 PM

No shit. Duncan was a better defender, but Shaq just deterred penetrators. He did that better than a handful in the history of the game. Shaq was also a vastly better offensive player. The edge that Duncan has on defense is overshadowed by Shaq's offense. The only thing that Duncan has over Shaq is longevity and that's an extremely weak argument as well.

greymatter
08-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Shaq's era coincided with lots of elite defensive centers.

Olajuwon, Drob were miles ahead of him early in his career. Mutombo, Mourning, and Wallace were miles ahead of him in the latter half of his career.

His never making a 1st team wasn't a result of being overrated. The only thing you can pin on him is being lazy at times on defense. He was a clearly inferior defender in comparison to those who made the 1st team in that he was incapable of playing hard on defense and entire game without getting into foul trouble.

All in all, OP is a moron.

k0kakw0rld
08-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Shaq's era coincided with lots of elite defensive centers.

Olajuwon, Drob were miles ahead of him early in his career. Mutombo, Mourning, and Wallace were miles ahead of him in the latter half of his career.

His never making a 1st team wasn't a result of being overrated. The only thing you can pin on him is being lazy at times on defense. He was a clearly inferior defender in comparison to those who made the 1st team in that he was incapable of playing hard on defense and entire game without getting into foul trouble.

All in all, OP is a moron.
Lazy and top 5 don't rhyme together. You are the moron for thinking otherwise.