PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan Gaucho

andgar923
08-15-2016, 09:39 PM
One word:

Smooth

Why can't artists and albums like that be top sellers anymore?

The musicianship and production on that album is superb. You can just tell that the group assembled is some of the finest studio musicians around... just sick album.

A smooth album for a nice warm evening.

Hmmm... next up perhaps Marvin Gaye's 'Trouble Man' OST??? sounds like a plan to me.

What are you listening to?

andgar923
08-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Speaking of smooth.... now playing Trouble Man OST and one of my favs is on 'T Plays it Cool' one of the smooooothest tracks ever made.

That Moog tho.... mmmmm.... the Moog never sounded so smooth yet funky.

NumberSix
08-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Pretzel Logic >

andgar923
08-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Pretzel Logic >

I'll be real, I don't remember much from that album, I'll check it out tonight (perhaps).

masonanddixon
08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Katy Lies and Pretzel Logic are their best works.

Check out Rikki dont lose that number, the melody is taken straight out of Horace Silver's Song for My Father

Thorpesaurous
08-16-2016, 08:17 AM
I was never a fan, but my secretary at work listens to Steely Dan all the time, and over time it's really grown on me. There's a ton of detail that I think you just don't get if you just casually hear them on the radio periodically.

She also listens to a ton of Chicago, which has a similar effect.

andgar923
08-16-2016, 09:04 AM
I was never a fan, but my secretary at work listens to Steely Dan all the time, and over time it's really grown on me. There's a ton of detail that I think you just don't get if you just casually hear them on the radio periodically.

She also listens to a ton of Chicago, which has a similar effect.

Yup.

There's a ton of small pieces of clever and brilliant segments in the songs. You think the music is going one way and it goes another, surprising you with twinkles of nice progressions.

masonanddixon
08-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Yup.

There's a ton of small pieces of clever and brilliant segments in the songs. You think the music is going one way and it goes another, surprising you with twinkles of nice progressions.

It's called jazz music, son.