PDA

View Full Version : Dave Chappelle: Most overrated comedian of the past 20 years.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Guys, don

highwhey
08-16-2016, 08:20 PM
:facepalm

Wish we had a corn emoji for OP

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Wish we had a corn emoji for OP
You're telling me he's not overrated?

Bourne
08-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Not the most overrated, but not an all time great. He had a very high peak that didnt last and the chappelle show surfed on the wave of the black-culture-is-the-coolest wave of the 2000s.

highwhey
08-16-2016, 08:26 PM
You're telling me he's not overrated?
We didn't even get to see his full potential. I don't find those other comedians that funny.

Akrazotile
08-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Cmon OP.

I appreciate your work as ISH's Negro Historian, you've put me onto a lot of good music and comedy I aint knowd about over the years.

But u trippin on this one. And I'm usually quick to hate on anything mainstream. But between the standup and the sketch comedy together, the guy is clearly on the top tier, with whomever else you wanna put there.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:29 PM
We didn't even get to see his full potential. I don't find those other comedians that funny.
What you mean we didn't see his full potential? He had been doing stand up almost 15 years when Chappelle Show came out. He's still doing stand up.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Not the most overrated, but not an all time great. He had a very high peak that didnt last and the chappelle show surfed on the wave of the black-culture-is-the-coolest wave of the 2000s.
He peaked soooo high is why he gets the comparisons to the greats before him. When in fact the stand up he did after the 2nd season of Chappelle SHow was worse than the one he put out right before his stardom.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Cmon OP.

I appreciate your work as ISH's Negro Historian, you've put me onto a lot of good music and comedy I aint knowd about over the years.

But u trippin on this one. And I'm usually quick to hate on anything mainstream. But between the standup and the sketch comedy together, the guy is clearly on the top tier, with whomever else you wanna put there.
What do you consider top tier?

Akrazotile
08-16-2016, 08:33 PM
He peaked soooo high is why he gets the comparisons to the greats before him. When in fact the stand up he did after the 2nd season of Chappelle SHow was worse than the one he put out right before his stardom.

So he's like Shaq. A peak that can match anyone, but not the same longevity as some other greats.

A lot of people (myself included) heavily value peak. Because that demonstrates how good you actually are, regardless of missing time early or late in your career with injuries, or bad teammates or whatever. There's plenty of people that actually have Shaq in the Top 5. I mean, he's definitely ahead of Kobe. Kobe's #12.

Anyway I forget what my original point was. But let me reiterate Kobe is 12th all time.

highwhey
08-16-2016, 08:35 PM
What you mean we didn't see his full potential? He had been doing stand up almost 15 years when Chappelle Show came out. He's still doing stand up.
His prime was shortlived.

What is your overall criteria?

bdreason
08-16-2016, 08:38 PM
His show had some hilarious skits. Never thought he was a great stand-up comedian.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:38 PM
So he's like Shaq. A peak that can match anyone, but not the same longevity as some other greats.

A lot of people (myself included) heavily value peak. Because that demonstrates how good you actually are, regardless of missing time early or late in your career with injuries, or bad teammates or whatever. There's plenty of people that actually have Shaq in the Top 5. I mean, he's definitely ahead of Kobe. Kobe's #12.

Anyway I forget what my original point was.
Naw, Shaq was a beast his rookie year man. Took team to the Finals his 4th year. Was a top 5 player for a long time. It took Chappelle a while to get going. Chappelle is more like a Steve Nash or Steph Curry. Yeah they were around early on, than next thing you know, BAM. Back to back MVP's, NBA championships, ect.

Or maybe a Derrick Rose, I don't know. Dave ain't Shaq though lol. Bad comparison. :lol

plowking
08-16-2016, 08:43 PM
It is comedy. Not sports.

He is funny. I don't particularly rate comedians. I don't think anyone does. He is really funny, and one of the guys I would watch over most.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:45 PM
His prime was shortlived.

What is your overall criteria?
His prime was from about 97-05. His peak I guess was 00-04.

97 HBO Comedy Half Hour
98 Half Baked, Woo, You've Got Mail
00 Killin Them Softly; Screwed
02 Undercover Brother
03 Chappele Show Season 1
04 Chappele Show Season 2, For What It's Worth
05 Dave Chappelle's Block Party

He was not active enough to be in that top tier IMO. But he peaked high from the impact of Chappelle's Show.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2016, 08:48 PM
It is comedy. Not sports.

He is funny. I don't particularly rate comedians. I don't think anyone does. He is really funny, and one of the guys I would watch over most.
It's competition, so it's like a sport.
A lot of people are funny. It was dudes from Comic View of Premium Blend funny from 20 years ago that we'll never hear from again.

DeuceWallaces
08-16-2016, 09:33 PM
He's overrated as a stand-up but not as a comedian or comedic voice.

DonDadda59
08-16-2016, 09:33 PM
The man set the comedic zeitgeist in America for years. The Chappelle Show is a cornerstone of comedy/sketch programs. Comedy Central has been trying to capture that lightning in a bottle again since then with mixed results (Mind of Mencia, Key and Peele, etc). But none of those guys were offered $50 million for 2 seasons for a reason.

:biggums:

^Why doesn't ISH have an Eddie Griffin or a Katt Williams emoji?

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 12:49 AM
The man set the comedic zeitgeist in America for years. The Chappelle Show is a cornerstone of comedy/sketch programs. Comedy Central has been trying to capture that lightning in a bottle again since then with mixed results (Mind of Mencia, Key and Peele, etc). But none of those guys were offered $50 million for 2 seasons for a reason.

:biggums:

^Why doesn't ISH have an Eddie Griffin or a Katt Williams emoji?
He's not a better stand up than Damon Wayans nor is he a better sketch performer then him. Yet, many will have Dave over Damon.

DeuceWallaces
08-17-2016, 01:01 AM
He's not a better stand up than Damon Wayans nor is he a better sketch performer then him. Yet, many will have Dave over Damon.

Lol Damon is no better or worse a stand up and he's clearly not a significantly better sketch performer. Only thing he's proven to be better at than Chappelle is Uncle Tomming for a network.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 01:06 AM
Lol Damon is no better or worse a stand up and he's clearly not a significantly better sketch performer. Only thing he's proven to be better at than Chappelle is Uncle Tomming for a network.
I'd take Damon's In Living Color characters over Chappelle's characters.
Dave's best character is basically Damon's Anton Jackson.

And Last Standing and Still Standing > Killin Them Softly and For What It's Worth.

DeuceWallaces
08-17-2016, 01:15 AM

And Last Standing and Still Standing > Killin Them Softly and For What It's Worth.

They both have shitty movies.

They both lack a stand-up special that really resonated with pop culture like their peers.

If you lived through both sketch shows, Chappelle had a slightly larger cultural impact.

"Hated it" and "Homey don't play that", while popular, were not shouted out along the streets and at every party. Nor did the popularity of his sketch characters literally drive the man insane.

I think overall they're pretty similar, but it's retarded to act like Damon is a significantly better comedian.

highwhey
08-17-2016, 01:15 AM

You're an off-brand nikka.

dunksby
08-17-2016, 04:56 AM
So you call CHapelle the most overrated and proceed to say it's because people claim he is better than Murphy, Rock and Wayans? Well, that's because he is :lol
Funny that you complain something that you are mostly guilty of.

coin24
08-17-2016, 05:43 AM
Seen him live, he's hilarious.. One of the best I've seen:rockon:

MintBerryCrunch
08-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Not overrated. I also find it silly to compare him to some of the SNL guys. As great as some of those guys are, they weren't expected to carry the show night after night because of an ensemble cast. You criticize Dave for having Charlie Murphy and Donnell Rawlings, but those guys are nothings without Chappelle. Meanwhile, the SNL guys would have to put out a skit or 2 per episode as the star, and be thrown in as supporting characters while their counterparts star in skits. Same goes with In Living Color. Now, take a look at the history of sketch comedy shows headlined by 1 main comic. They pretty much all suck. One of the reasons is how difficult it is to make consistently funny sketches staring the same comic, because people get sick of seeing the same person repeatedly. Murphey probably could have done it in the 80s if he tried, but as great as Farley and Belushi were, there is no way they could do multiple successful seasons of a sketch comedy show where they are the star of the sketch repeatedly.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 09:37 AM
They both have shitty movies.

They both lack a stand-up special that really resonated with pop culture like their peers.

If you lived through both sketch shows, Chappelle had a slightly larger cultural impact.

"Hated it" and "Homey don't play that", while popular, were not shouted out along the streets and at every party. Nor did the popularity of his sketch characters literally drive the man insane.

I think overall they're pretty similar, but it's retarded to act like Damon is a significantly better comedian.
Damon had a much longer prime. You could say his prime was from the start of his SNL run in 85 until the end of My Wife and Kids in 05. And his peak from 88 to 97. In those years you have all 3 of his HBO Specials, all his best movies and In Living Color.

Damon was peaking at a time when other greats were also peaking. So more competition.

Chappelle, what other great comic was peaking in the early-mid 2000s? The comedy world just needed anyone and he was it. Hell, it could have been JB Smoove in that spot.

MintBerryCrunch
08-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Wayons didn't do anything of note on SNL. Also, "all his best movies"? He has a couple watchable movies, but none are stand out classics or anything. Half Baked had more of a cultural impact than any movie Damon made. And My Wife and Kids is nothing but TGIF style trash. His HBO Specials and his time on In Living Color are the only things that really puts him up high.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Wayons didn't do anything of note on SNL. Also, "all his best movies"? He has a couple watchable movies, but none are stand out classics or anything. Half Baked had more of a cultural impact than any movie Damon made. And My Wife and Kids is nothing but TGIF style trash. His HBO Specials and his time on In Living Color are the only things that really puts him up high.
No one new about Half Baked until after Chappelle Show. That's when it started to air on Comedy Central. Major Payne is a classic. Last Boy Scout and Mo Money, good films that also did good in the box office.

BasedTom
08-17-2016, 10:09 AM
clickbait title

zero chance in hell Dave is the most overrated of the past 20 years when in the last 10 alone we've seen hack after hack hyped up to be the next great thing.

Maybe if OP is living in a world without the likes of Amy Schumer he can make such a claim

MintBerryCrunch
08-17-2016, 10:16 AM
No one new about Half Baked until after Chappelle Show. That's when it started to air on Comedy Central. Major Payne is a classic. Last Boy Scout and Mo Money, good films that also did good in the box office.
I wouldn't call Major Payne a "classic." It was an ok family film. It fits in with the watchable movies I referred to, same with the others you mentioned (Well, maybe not Mo Money, that is trash and most people know it but you). Half Baked, to be fair, is also just ok. It already had a huge stoner following before Chappelle's Show, but you are right that it got a boost from his success.

tmacattack33
08-17-2016, 11:35 AM
For What it's Worth, Killing Them Softly, and his SF special are amongst my favorite comedy specials of all time.

OP is entitled to his own opinion, but just because he is the OP and decided to write 15 paragraphs about it doesn't make it any more valid than my two sentence post right here.

KyrieTheFuture
08-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Jesus this dude thinks Damon ****ing Wayans is better than Chappelle? Your opinion is worthless.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 12:03 PM
For What it's Worth, Killing Them Softly, and his SF special are amongst my favorite comedy specials of all time.

OP is entitled to his own opinion, but just because he is the OP and decided to write 15 paragraphs about it doesn't make it any more valid than my two sentence post right here.
I think people are missing the point. I said he was overrated, never anywhere did I say he wasn't funny. I think he's hilarious but when people try to put him on Eddie Murphy level that's when it gets out of hand.

Charlie Sheen
08-17-2016, 12:18 PM
I think people are missing the point. I said he was overrated, never anywhere did I say he wasn't funny. I think he's hilarious but when people try to put him on Eddie Murphy level that's when it gets out of hand.

Thread started to feel like it was more about Wayans than Chappelle. You don't have to knock Dave down to shine a light on Damon, and that's the vibe I was getting as I read through.

Bless Mathews
08-17-2016, 12:40 PM

Bill Bellamy?

Dl hugely?

What?

Comeon. Them niggahs is straight garbage.

Everyone got something from someone.

So baggin on him for that is straight up ignant.

Dave chappelle makes me LAUGH.

Bottom line.

UK2K
08-17-2016, 12:43 PM
BOO! Booooooo!

Boo this man!!

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Jesus this dude thinks Damon ****ing Wayans is better than Chappelle? Your opinion is worthless.
You 15 or something and missed Wayans' best years I'm assuming.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 12:45 PM

Bill Bellamy?

Dl hugely?

What?

Comeon. Them niggahs is straight garbage.

Everyone got something from someone.

So baggin on him for that is straight up ignant.

Dave chappelle makes me LAUGH.

Bottom line.
I never said Dave wasn't funny. I said he's not on Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock and those guys levels.
Agree or disagree?

MintBerryCrunch
08-17-2016, 01:05 PM
I never said Dave wasn't funny. I said he's not on Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock and those guys levels.
Agree or disagree?
I think if you left it at that, many people would have agreed. But you at moments took your points to absurd levels.

Exhibit A:

Let’s start to recognize Dave Chappelle and put him where he rightfully belongs. Not alongside the likes of Richard Pryor and Rodney Dangerfield, but next to Tommy Davidson and David Spade.

sd3035
08-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Chapelle is the only black comedian that consistently makes me laugh

He's highly rated because he's fukking funny. Comedy is subjective though

DonDadda59
08-17-2016, 01:13 PM
The Wayans family can do no wrong in Kizzle's eyes. I have a working theory that he is actually one of them. But which one? There's like 4,000 members of that family. :coleman:

UK2K
08-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Chapelle is the only black comedian that consistently makes me laugh

He's highly rated because he's fukking funny. Comedy is subjective though

Charlie Murphy is funny too.

MintBerryCrunch
08-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Charlie Murphy is funny too.
Has he done anything funny that wasn't on Chappelle's Show? I've seen his stand up. It is brutally bad. Some college a while back invited him and then booed him off stage once they realized how unfunny he was.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Has he done anything funny that wasn't on Chappelle's Show? I've seen his stand up. It is brutally bad. Some college a while back invited him and then booed him off stage once they realized how unfunny he was.
He's gotten way better. No where near Dave or his brother. He didn't begin stand up until after the show ended by a dare from Donnell Rawlings. That was probably like 4-5 years into his stand up career.
Also, he's funny in CB4, Players Club and a few other films.

Bless Mathews
08-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Agree or disagree?

Of course I agree.

But who is sayin that he is on par with them??

And to type on David spade or tommy Davidson level????

Dang g.

It's like you grew up in white Texas and like corny white humor and corny rap.

Not from oak cliff bumpin capital punishment.

Nastradamus
08-17-2016, 06:20 PM
His prime was from about 97-05. His peak I guess was 00-04.

97 HBO Comedy Half Hour
98 Half Baked, Woo, You've Got Mail
00 Killin Them Softly; Screwed
02 Undercover Brother
03 Chappele Show Season 1
04 Chappele Show Season 2, For What It's Worth
05 Dave Chappelle's Block Party

He was not active enough to be in that top tier IMO. But he peaked high from the impact of Chappelle's Show.

The best moments of Chapelle's show are some of the best TV you'll see. Half Baked is a classic, Screwed is underrated. Killin them softly is a classic routine

KiiiiNG
08-17-2016, 08:49 PM
As expected USA dominates and KD has a historic performance. 27/7/6 for the best in the world....

Nothing but blowouts from here on out. lol @ all the pessimistic morons in this thread. :roll: :roll:

poido123
08-17-2016, 08:53 PM
As expected USA dominates and KD has a historic performance. 27/7/6 for the best in the world....

Nothing but blowouts from here on out. lol @ all the pessimistic morons in this thread. :roll: :roll:

This team USA blows bro.

Standards for Dreamteams are high and this one is one of the worst.

If you are struggling to beat Australia and Croatia with the massive talent disparity, you deserve to hand your spot up for guys that will bring it.

:D

L.Kizzle
08-18-2016, 10:00 AM
I think if you left it at that, many people would have agreed. But you at moments took your points to absurd levels.

Exhibit A:
Have you seen any of Tommy Davidson's 90s' Showtime specials. All are hilarious buy check oit 1991's Illin' in Philly.
Also, Dave was an extra in a Tommy Davidson film.