This is what happens when you know you'll never win a ring

Ramza
08-17-2016, 04:47 PM
https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/766008161757196289

I thought the same thing :lol

moongaze
08-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Olympians are the elite athletes in the country(and the best of the best in the nba). To be part of a gold medal team arguably holds more prestige. Plus, you are competing against the best from the world and representing your country

feyki
08-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Olympians are the elite athletes in the country(and the best of the best in the nba). To be part of a gold medal team arguably holds more prestige. Plus, you are competing against the best from the world and representing your country

Andrew Gaze

Hey Yo
08-17-2016, 05:03 PM
The above holds true......when not referring to the U.S Men's basketball team.

Plus, nobody looked at Carmelo in 2004 or Christian Laettner in 92' (and many other examples) as "elite athletes"

StephHamann
08-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Spoken like a true loser who likes to be a role player his whole career

moongaze
08-17-2016, 05:14 PM
The above holds true......when not referring to the U.S Men's basketball team.

Plus, nobody looked at Carmelo in 2004 or Christian Laettner in 92' (and many other examples) as "elite athletes"

Us Olympic basketball rosters> NBA rosters

Its clear to see that its more of an achievement to be part of an Olympic gold medal team than an NBA champion team.

LostCause
08-17-2016, 05:19 PM
His statement isn't wrong, just depends on how you look at it and ultimately it's his opinion

Many NBA players, Champions or not, have stated that the Olympic Games were their best and most cherished moments. Others that have won championships value the gold medal more or equally (Kyrie Irving just recently said this, for instance. Kobe said it. The list goes on and on)

Really, only overzealous fans worry about this shit. If a man prioritizes something as more valuable than another in his life, why is it anyone's concern but his? Get to that position so you can value the one you believe holds more value yourself

warriorfan
08-17-2016, 05:20 PM
LeBronze

Hey Yo
08-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Us Olympic basketball rosters> NBA rosters

Its clear to see that its more of an achievement to be part of an Olympic gold medal team than an NBA champion team.
Correct.....which means it's a hell of a lot easier to win Gold while playing on the Men's Olympic Basketball team and a much tougher accomplishment winning a ring on an NBA team.

Spurs m8
08-17-2016, 05:46 PM
I mean, you could argue he's right...

You'd be wrong though

moongaze
08-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Correct.....which means it's a hell of a lot easier to win Gold while playing on the Men's Olympic Basketball team and a much tougher accomplishment winning a ring on an NBA team.

The point is that you were selected to represent your country as one of the best it has to offer. There's a lot of bad players that have been part of NBA champion teams. Tiu can't say the same as the us Olympic teams.

SouBeachTalents
08-17-2016, 06:04 PM
He can believe what he likes, but I strongly disagree with him. People always complain about "stacked teams", well the U.S. team is the most stacked team ever assembled every Olympics (with one exception lol). Imo winning an NBA title is a significantly greater achievement than winning a Gold on by far the most talented team in competition.

ScalsFan21
08-17-2016, 06:25 PM
:roll: This is comical for all the reasons SouBeach laid out and then some. DeAndre is regretting staying in LAC so hard right now. :lol

k0kakw0rld
08-17-2016, 06:30 PM

Weak minded ass niqqa :facepalm

No heart nor passion :facepalm fxck him and Melo straight up

bdreason
08-17-2016, 06:34 PM
That's what you say when you're in the middle of trying to win an Olympic Medal.

LostCause
08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Weak minded ass niqqa :facepalm

No heart nor passion :facepalm fxck him and Melo straight up

Do you feel the same way about Kobe? Kyrie? Anthony Davis?

Just a few off the top of my head that have said the same or similar things

Also not sure how it's an indication of a lack of heart or passion. Maybe the man just values excelling in a competition that has been around for centuries and he gets to represent his country more than the NBA?

G-train
08-17-2016, 07:11 PM
He might end up with neither a ring or a medal.

LilEddyCurry
08-17-2016, 07:27 PM
To be fair, a gold medal at the Olympics is at the highest achievement an athlete can achieve. However, in the case of USA basketball given all it's talent it does not hold as much weight as an NBA title. However it would be an achievement to make the team let alone win gold as USA is pretty much the best team the world can assemble.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Exactly. That's why 'Melo is so content with winning in the Olympics.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2016, 07:46 PM
The best in the NBA > best in the world.

Only a handful of countries in the world can field even midly competitive teams vs. the USA.

Most teams in the NBA could probably get at least a bronze medal by themselves.

Doranku
08-17-2016, 07:47 PM
I can see where he's coming from. This is probably the biggest stage he's ever played on considering the Clippers have never made it out of the second round.

He has nothing to compare this experience to.

Ben Simmons
08-17-2016, 07:54 PM
He can believe what he likes, but I strongly disagree with him. People always complain about "stacked teams", well the U.S. team is the most stacked team ever assembled every Olympics (with one exception lol). Imo winning an NBA title is a significantly greater achievement than winning a Gold on by far the most talented team in competition.
What if you beat the US team?

moongaze
08-17-2016, 07:57 PM
The best in the NBA > best in the world.

Only a handful of countries in the world can field even midly competitive teams vs. the USA.

You're missing the point. It isn't about the competition they're going against but about the prestige that comes from being part of the best in your country. Its hard to make an NBA team, much harder to be an Olympian on the us national team. You are forever part of a select, elite group. Being part of an NBA champion team is great, but you didn't get chosen to be on it from a selective elite group. You're not representing your country and its not an international event, once every 4 years

G-train
08-17-2016, 08:02 PM

That's not true.

Meticode
08-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Of course he would say this. He's never even sniffed a ring. He has no idea how it feels to beat the best competition in the world and be the last standing.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2016, 08:33 PM
You're missing the point. It isn't about the competition they're going against but about the prestige that comes from being part of the best in your country. Its hard to make an NBA team, much harder to be an Olympian on the us national team. You are forever part of a select, elite group. Being part of an NBA champion team is great, but you didn't get chosen to be on it from a selective elite group. You're not representing your country and its not an international event, once every 4 years
Except no one cares about Olympic golds 2 months after the games ended.

People remember NBA championships much longer.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2016, 08:36 PM
That's not true.
Yes it is.

moongaze
08-17-2016, 08:40 PM

Then why is the dream team the most iconic basketball team of all time and why do these players say the Olympics were some of their best moments. The Olympics are timeless. People still talk about the '08 and 2012 teams

ILLsmak
08-17-2016, 08:46 PM

it prolly would be for a team that wasn't the US. If Olympics were truly competitive and we had only 1 shot every 4 years to have a chance of winning... and we had to be clicking on all cylinders and beat teams that were at least as good as us, sure, I could see that. To bring a huge win for our country, etc.

It's like how I say an NCAA ring is a huge accomplishment; it's a small window thing. But as our 'dream teams' are, generally walking their way to the gold, nah.

-Smak

G-train
08-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Yes it is.

You are blatantly wrong. The Cavaliers, who are reigning NBA champions, wouldn't touch the dais.
Did you watch the finals? They basically run a PnR and shoot contested shots, and half the team can't defend. They are 5% as good as Team USA, who are doing the same thing, and are struggling against teams.
Delusional.

G-train
08-17-2016, 08:58 PM

Who are 'people'?
Do you mean people from USA, which is 5% of the world?
Typical american bubble boy thinking.

Doranku
08-17-2016, 09:01 PM
You are blatantly wrong. The Cavaliers, who are reigning NBA champions, wouldn't touch the dais.
Did you watch the finals? They basically run a PnR and shoot contested shots, and half the team can't defend. They are 5% as good as Team USA, who are doing the same thing, and are struggling against teams.
Delusional.

lol you could literally say the same thing about the current USA team. Unless guys like Kyrie, DMC, DeRozan, Lowry, Melo, Durant, etc have become good defenders in the past month. :lol

ILLsmak
08-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Here's a better example, cuz we are looking at it through a skewed team USA lens.

Imagine if Yao led the Rockets to a ring, would that have been better than him leading his national team to a gold medal? I can tell you right now, it wouldn't. Not to his own people and probably not even to us. Even though people would discredit it... it's like the team Bill Walton led to the Finals, amazing run, gg, but does it compare to leading your nation to its first gold medal in something, no. Or even if its first recent gold medal. If some NBA scrub or FIBA scrub went ape and averaged 40 ppg to lead his team to the gold medal, you think that wouldn't be noteworthy?

Another flaw in Jordan's statement is that he's just a role player on this team.

-Smak

CarlosBoozer
08-17-2016, 09:26 PM
He ain't got the taste of an nba ring, it's amazing.... Your haters tears, your fans love and the pride of being a champ. Way better than getting a gold for being the most stacked team, if it was someone out of team USA that said that statement, I would understand.

Locked_Up_Tonight
08-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Gold medals for other countries in basketball means more than gold medals for Americans in basketball.

The national pride is a lot different between U.S and other countries in basketball.

BlkMambaGOAT
08-17-2016, 10:54 PM
This is what happens when your ring count (or lack thereof) brings down your legacy instead of raise it.

If ring quantity doesn't favor you say that other things are worth more than rings.

What a sad mother******:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

FKAri
08-17-2016, 10:59 PM
They are if you're not an American.

R.I.P.
08-18-2016, 05:35 AM
I

SexSymbol
08-18-2016, 05:51 AM
I don't think that deep down we value it that way, but given the greater competition, it's probably true

InfiniteBaskets
08-18-2016, 10:08 AM
What do you guys think Manu holds higher in regard? Winning one of his Spurs championships, or winning Gold in 2004?

You can argue as a non-American, winning against team USA en route to a gold medal > winning an NBA championship. In international competition your opponent is better than the average NBA team and your teammates are on average worse than an NBA team.

I know you are
08-18-2016, 10:13 AM
I would only agree for those who beat a powerhouse like the USA, but for Team USA, the deck is stacked and not very meaningful. DeAndre just wants to hold onto this as a consolation prize in case he never wins a ring.

LostCause
08-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Honestly, it's hilarious

This thread is simply a bunch of people who have never or will never win either, placing "value" on these things and determining whether someone else who actually can win both is right or wrong for the value they place on them. It's silly

Maybe Jordan is patriotic and values winning a ring for his country more than an NBA championship? Arguing such thinking diminishes him in any way is laughable. Ultimately, these are his opinions, and no one can tell him his opinion is wrong no matter what side you take

Kobe's opinion:

"I think winning a gold medal is more important because you're playing for your country," Bryant said while training with the U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team in Las Vegas this week. "You're not playing for a region or a state or a brand. You are playing for the United States of America."

Lebron

“This is bigger,” said James, who has averaged 15.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game in Beijing while also coming up with 16 steals.

“Being a part of the game on Sunday is the biggest thing for me, ever.

“When I got to the Finals, I thought that was big. But winning an NBA championship would never compare to winning a gold medal for my country.”

Anthony Davis

“For me, it’s No. 1,” Davis said when asked where winning gold ranks in terms of importance for NBA players, via USA Today. “You don’t really get an opportunity to win a gold medal every year, and I’m fortunate to have two, one for the World Cup and one for the Olympics.

“Winning — just the feeling of them playing your national anthem and them putting a gold medal around your neck — is huge.”

And many others have shared similar sentiments. Fact of the matter is that these are opinions of men who are competing to win these things year after year, or those who have competed to win them. Silly to sit on the couch and judge them on what should be more "valuable" to them, according to you

Big164
08-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Ginobli's Gold Medal over Lebron n team USA > 2016 finals

nba_55
08-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Ginobli's Gold Medal over Lebron n team USA > 2016 finals
As far as I remember, Ginobli didn't beat USA. Greece did the dirty work for Argentina.

Rooster
08-18-2016, 11:52 AM
That's not true.

Bunch of Euro based American scrubs won a bronze in FIBA World:rolleyes:

SilkkTheShocker
08-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Not in the United States. We're so used to being the best at everything it doesn't shock us to crush these other s.hitty countries.

InfiniteBaskets
08-18-2016, 12:01 PM
As far as I remember, Ginobli didn't beat USA. Greece did the dirty work for Argentina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina_at_the_2004_Summer_Olympics#Basketball

Not true, Argentina met up with the US in the semi-finals of the tournament and won by 8. Then went on to beat Italy for the Gold.

I know you are
08-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Honestly, it's hilarious

This thread is simply a bunch of people who have never or will never win either, placing "value" on these things and determining whether someone else who actually can win both is right or wrong for the value they place on them. It's silly

Maybe Jordan is patriotic and values winning a ring for his country more than an NBA championship? Arguing such thinking diminishes him in any way is laughable. Ultimately, these are his opinions, and no one can tell him his opinion is wrong no matter what side you take

Kobe's opinion:

Lebron

Anthony Davis

And many others have shared similar sentiments. Fact of the matter is that these are opinions of men who are competing to win these things year after year, or those who have competed to win them. Silly to sit on the couch and judge them on what should be more "valuable" to them, according to you
It may be more important, but it isn't more impressive nor prove your greatness more than winning an NBA championship.

Rooster
08-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Not in the United States. We're so used to being the best at everything it doesn't shock us to crush these other s.hitty countries.

:applause:

We are expected to win in and whenever we win the gold, no one is rolling out the red carpet with hundred of thousands welcoming our ballers like they are heroes just like when Spain wins it.

NBA ring is more elusive to our players. Olympic is more like just for the experienced. I'm pretty sure Barkley, Malone etc will trade their gold medal for a ring.

For the other countries, it's probably more important because their best players are mostly role players in the NBA.

T_L_P
08-18-2016, 02:34 PM

I get the bold, but your point before?

There was a time when NBA players couldn't compete in the Olympics because they were 'professionals' and the Olympics is for 'amateurs'.

On what planet is the competition close to that in the NBA (especially in the NBA Finals)? Outside of USA which is an All-NBA squad, there isn't a country out there that could hang with any NBA team besides the tanking Sixers.

tomtucker
08-18-2016, 02:59 PM
but if it

GimmeThat
08-18-2016, 03:04 PM
and guess what the NFL player said

FreezingTsmoove
08-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Ask Manu what holds more weight and he will say his medal

I know you are
08-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Ask Manu what holds more weight and he will say his medal
As stated before, beating the stacked US team does hold a lot of weight. Winning as part of the stacked US team does not.