PDA

View Full Version : Durant: "I'm at my best when I don't care if we win or lose"

jayfan
08-19-2016, 05:17 PM
A cringe-worthy statement. The epitome of being a Non-clutch Beta.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/18/kevin-durant-usa-basketball-rio-olympics/88950526/

Wiltside
08-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Yikes

Nilocon165
08-19-2016, 05:24 PM
I realllllly wanna like KD but some of these statements are just cringe.

I mean I guess what he said true for him and a lot of other nba players, but you don't say it.

He's gonna let players get in his head so damn much this year

bluechox2
08-19-2016, 05:27 PM
rip team usa

Akrazotile
08-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Durant is a good dude, and I personally like him and root for him.

But it's not really any secret he doesnt have a highly competitive alpha mentality on the basketball court. We all already known this. It just isnt who he is. So this really isnt like big breaking news or anything. It just is what it is. Not really a big deal IMO.

dunksby
08-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Alpha as ****, dude gives no ****.

BedroomBully
08-19-2016, 05:59 PM
I realllllly wanna like KD but some of these statements are just cringe.

I mean I guess what he said true for him and a lot of other nba players, but you don't say it.

He's gonna let players get in his head so damn much this year
I feel you. I am trying really hard to not dislike this guy, but there are too many beta moments in his career! From crying to his mommy when LeBron waxed that a$$, to calling himself the servant, to wearing a backpack like a 12 year old girl, to leaving a stacked team for another (Even though it was his fault they lost in the first place) and now this? Dude is just a ***** by nature, aint to fixing that.

Ben Simmons
08-19-2016, 06:15 PM
This isnt a weird statement. Durant was clutch and much better before he had expectations.

jayfan
08-19-2016, 06:21 PM
This isnt a weird statement. Durant was clutch and much better before he had expectations.

It's not weird. It's sad. No wonder he went to hide in GS.

Dr Hawk
08-19-2016, 06:39 PM

But it's not really any secret he doesnt have a highly competitive alpha mentality on the basketball court. We all already known this. It just isnt who he is. So this really isnt like big breaking news or anything. It just is what it is. Not really a big deal IMO.

Agree.

plowking
08-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Essentially a quote saying he performs best when he isn't overthinking, yet ISH analysts and psychologists will tell us he is shit and a beta.

Useless mob of idiots on here.

KevinDurant35
08-19-2016, 07:49 PM

FKAri
08-19-2016, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=KevinDurant35]

Screamin A Smit
08-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Alpha as heck man, something you never see kobe do because all he wants is the ball man haha

IGOTGAME
08-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Essentially a quote saying he performs best when he isn't overthinking, yet ISH analysts and psychologists will tell us he is shit and a beta.

is that a mentality that you can take with you in big pressure games...he is essentially saying I'll just try to treat every game like it doesn't matter and my talent will carry me through. Its the same mentality the Warriors had this year. All throughout the game threads, I'd say, "they are playing to sloppy and they are creating bad habits with these senseless passes." Then when it got down to the NBA Finals when they had to understand the games mattered, they played like it was game 41 in the regular season and Steph made dumb pass after dumb pass in situations that mattered.

Its not psychology, it is what he said. He is obviously an all world talent, but this mentality has shown up a lot in his career. Just that until now, everything has just been blamed on Westbrook.

bluechox2
08-19-2016, 08:37 PM
it makes sense now on why he joined the warriors...he doesnt care but has teaamates that do and can win to deliver one anyway

KiiiiNG
08-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Durant's a self-aware alpha. Guys like Kobe and Jordan never had the ability to analyze themselves at the level Durant does which is partly why Kevin has already surpassed Kobe and possibly, after a 5-peat, he could surpass Jordan

Candid, open, and honest KD is a breathe of fresh air in todays age filled with fibbing betas who try to come across as something they're not.

Well done mr. reaper :applause:

Young X
08-19-2016, 09:04 PM
He cares too much about what people think.

KiiiiNG
08-19-2016, 09:05 PM

Bro, as you already know, I'm a HUGE fan of yours.... but this post couldn't be farther from the truth. Off the court KD is the nicest guy on Earth, but on the court he has the savagery of 10,000 men. He's a ruthless competitor and anyone who's watched him play like I have knows this.

Young X
08-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Ruthless competitor who runs to the 73 win team that took him out.

Young X
08-19-2016, 09:14 PM
You're putting on this front but I know deep down you're disappointed that Durant ran to the Warriors.

It's okay I understand. He's just not who you and I thought he was.

bdreason
08-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Most athletes perform at their best when they aren't focused on the finish.

KiiiiNG
08-19-2016, 09:19 PM
You're putting on this front but I know deep down you're disappointed that Durant ran to the Warriors.

It's okay I understand. He's just not who you and I thought he was.
Would you wanna play with Westbrook yes or no?

Young X
08-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Would you wanna play with Westbrook yes or no?Yes. How many players in the league have a luxury to play with someone who is that good?

Akrazotile
08-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Bro, as you already know, I'm a HUGE fan of yours.... but this post couldn't be farther from the truth. Off the court KD is the nicest guy on Earth, but on the court he has the savagery of 10,000 men. He's a ruthless competitor and anyone who's watched him play like I have knows this.

No worries bro, I know you're definitely huge in a lot of ways :cheers:

If he does have an alpha streak, it manifests itself in ways people who only see the Thunder a handful of times each year don't quite perceive. He does like having the ball in big moments and is happy to take the big shot, I do see that. But when the going gets tough, it doesn't always feel like he's grabbing the reigns and saying "**** this, alphas do not like losing. we better not lose or im gonna ****ing kill someone"

I do agree that unlike kobe and mj he realizes alphas dont have to take every shot. They just wanna get that W. But there are times hes just gotta show a little more fire in his belly.

I feel like hes the kind of guy that has a really naturally girthy package, but doesnt quite have that confidence to just pull it out and be like "yeah so what. deal with it."

Thats the last thing basically between him getting to Bron's level. But I def agree he already passed Kobe a long time ago.

Akrazotile
08-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Yes. How many players in the league have a luxury to play with someone who is that good?

There's a big difference between having a gifted individual skill set and being effective in a team oriented competition. Sure there is often overlap, but slick handles and big dunks don't = he's better than any players who don't have slick handles and big dunks.

Lot of fans can't seem to get that.

Young X
08-19-2016, 09:37 PM
There's a big difference between having a gifted individual skill set and being effective in a team oriented competition. Sure there is often overlap, but slick handles and big dunks don't = he's better than any players who don't have slick handles and big dunks.

Lot of fans can't seem to get that.Westbrook was effective enough to help the Thunder become annual contenders in a tough conference.

This year he just needed a certain teammate to show up but it didn't happen unfortunately.

KiiiiNG
08-19-2016, 09:43 PM
No worries bro, I know you're definitely huge in a lot of ways :cheers:

If he does have an alpha streak, it manifests itself in ways people who only see the Thunder a handful of times each year don't quite perceive. He does like having the ball in big moments and is happy to take the big shot, I do see that. But when the going gets tough, it doesn't always feel like he's grabbing the reigns and saying "**** this, alphas do not like losing. we better not lose or im gonna ****ing kill someone"

I do agree that unlike kobe and mj he realizes alphas dont have to take every shot. They just wanna get that W. But there are times hes just gotta show a little more fire in his belly.

I feel like hes the kind of guy that has a really naturally girthy package, but doesnt quite have that confidence to just pull it out and be like "yeah so what. deal with it."

Thats the last thing basically between him getting to Bron's level. But I def agree he already passed Kobe a long time ago.
You make some fair points, but on the same hand, LeBron doesn't necessarily express his fire in ways that are easily noticed. He's calm, cool, and collected. And so is Durant. These are guys that are engaged with winning 24/7... they never miss practice, they rarely ever miss games, they're loyal to the sport like no others. You don't have to put on a farce like Kobe and stick out your crooked teeth to show the world how big of a competitor you are. But just trust me... KD absolutely is a ruthless guy on the court and sometimes that fire gets him in trouble. He probably has the highest amount of techs in the league these past few years because of how badly he wants it.

In terms of him not taking the reigns when the going gets tough.. well, playing in a stagnant offense ran by Westbrick doesn't help things. You and I know you can't win by yourself and it's foolish to try. KD was stuck in a position where he had to play team basketball while balancing a huge offensive burden and not really ever having a true PG who could read the game or help Durant's play in any ways whatsoever. If anything it's commendable how well KD did playing alongside a socially awkward, highly insecure moron who has absolutely no feel for the game and the basketball IQ of a lampshade.

AintNoSunshine
08-19-2016, 09:43 PM
:facepalm This dude does not have a dk

noob cake
08-19-2016, 09:49 PM
So no pressure game? Maybe Durant needs to sign with the Wolves or Sixers. Can tank with them for the next decade.

Most beta statement I've heard from a NBA 'superstar'

Spurs m8
08-19-2016, 10:02 PM
He's just confirmed he's mentally weak, a liability in big games and beta as f*ck.

It's everything we knew from what we have seen, he's just verbally confirmed it now.

KD, Steph, Klay, RIP Warriors.

dubnation
08-19-2016, 10:06 PM

I guess that's one of way of interpreting it, but it's not unreasonable to think this is just soft... Also taking into account his other soft comments.

Screamin A Smit
08-19-2016, 10:19 PM
agree with that Kiiing maing

Durant is hella good and bball IQ rooftops so he just knows

raprap
08-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Durant was a killer in 09-14 in the clutch.

jayfan
08-20-2016, 01:07 AM

It's a quote saying he performs best when he isn't facing/feeling pressure. No one is an idiot for being critical of that.

iamgine
08-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Most people are like this. You think you're at your best when feeling immense pressure? :biggums: When is that ever true?

AintNoSunshine
08-20-2016, 01:56 AM
So no pressure game? Maybe Durant needs to sign with the Wolves or Sixers. Can tank with them for the next decade.

Most beta statement I've heard from a NBA 'superstar'

Not even.

I think this explains why he dropped 60+ in Rucker park. Maybe that's where he truly belongs.:confusedshrug:

kamil
08-20-2016, 03:14 AM

Truth.

Looks like a lot of people here have never picked up a basketball in their life. It's a lot hard to perform under pressure. Dick around during practice and it's like everything is going in.

Anyone ever seen this?

http://media.thehoopdoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lakersfts1.jpg

IGOTGAME
08-20-2016, 03:30 AM
Most people are like this. You think you're at your best when feeling immense pressure? :biggums: When is that ever true?

its about being better relative to your peers. if that gap raises when the pressure does then its a big advantage. see Michael Jordan

kamil
08-20-2016, 03:46 AM
its about being better relative to your peers. if that gap raises when the pressure does then its a big advantage. see Michael Jordan

MJ's pretty much the only guy that performed better as the stakes got higher.

You can't really hold anyone to that expectation since everyone else has failed to match his mentality or performances on the biggest stage.

Spurs m8
08-20-2016, 03:59 AM
Truth.

Looks like a lot of people here have never picked up a basketball in their life. It's a lot hard to perform under pressure. Dick around during practice and it's like everything is going in.

Anyone ever seen this?

Has nothing to do with the average persons game.

He's a supposed superstar getting paid ridiculous amounts...

kamil
08-20-2016, 04:01 AM

And the guys on that white board aren't?

Doranku
08-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Truth.

Anyone ever seen this?

lmao it's crazy what a mental midget Dwight is. 82% in practice, can't even shoot 50% in the season. :oldlol:

As for the OP, why would Durant even say something like this? Is he implying that there are some games he doesn't care about winning or losing, and that's when he's at his best?

This dude is truly redefining what it means to be a beta.

Nash
08-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Compare that to Lebron who has had his best and most memorable performances when he's had his back against the wall.

jayfan
08-20-2016, 09:46 AM
MJ's pretty much the only guy that performed better as the stakes got higher.

You can't really hold anyone to that expectation since everyone else has failed to match his mentality or performances on the biggest stage.

Not true at all. Many greats in many sports thrive(d) under pressure, relished it, and regularly rise/rose to the occasion. Jordan doesn't have a trademark on the word clutch. He was just the best at it.

nathanjizzle
08-20-2016, 09:56 AM
he plays his best when hes not under pressure.

Nilocon165
08-20-2016, 09:58 AM
he plays his best when hes not under pressure.
Damn thanks for clarifying that for me bro

True life saver

Hey Yo
08-20-2016, 10:57 AM

This ^^^^

He's getting paid to play to win!!! Not paying him, to not care if his team wins or not, cause that's when he plays his best.

Dudes got mental issues.

GimmeThat
08-20-2016, 11:18 AM
so, he prefers to go to an interview looking for a career instead of scraping for a job

does it always work?

wonder why career choices have multiple rounds of interview?

jayfan
08-20-2016, 01:17 PM
so, he prefers to go to an interview looking for a career instead of scraping for a job

does it always work?

wonder why career choices have multiple rounds of interview?

What?