PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is there a disproportionate amount of billionaire that grew up poor

Kvnzhangyay
08-19-2016, 08:16 PM
This might be selection bias, but a lot of the most successful people grew up from very humble beginnings. Has anyone else noticed this also?

I'm not the biggest fan of Lloyd Blankfein, for example, but he's one of my favorite examples of rags to riches billionaires and I respect him greatly for it

NumberSix
08-19-2016, 08:18 PM
The vast majority of rich people don't come from rich backgrounds. Also, the vast majority of people who inheret fortunes blow their wealth after 1 or 2 generations.

Nick Young
08-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Tards of ISH:"social mobility is like literally impossible doe":hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

iamgine
08-20-2016, 12:55 AM
What do you mean grew up poor OP? Lloyd Blankfein's mom and dad both had a nice stable job. He grew up just like the majority of people.

If this is what you call poor then yeah no wonder there's a disproportionate amount.

nightprowler10
08-20-2016, 01:47 AM
What do you consider poor?

masonanddixon
08-20-2016, 05:29 AM
This might be selection bias, but a lot of the most successful people grew up from very humble beginnings. Has anyone else noticed this also?

I'm not the biggest fan of Lloyd Blankfein, for example, but he's one of my favorite examples of rags to riches billionaires and I respect him greatly for it

lol he's a scam artist who is directly responsible for the poverty of millions worldwide and has scammed America of billions of dollars. If he died today the world would be a far better place.

BoutPractice
08-20-2016, 06:12 AM
It's just you (although, what does disproportionate mean exactly... disproportionate compared to what?)

masonanddixon
08-20-2016, 06:28 AM
mmmm

Dresta
08-20-2016, 09:32 AM
No. The mentality needed to make lots of money is generally not one bred by a luxurious, easy and comfortable childhood.

GimmeThat
08-20-2016, 10:35 AM
pretty sure you ladies and gentlemen are still talking about having your own kid marrying your friends kids

TheMan
08-20-2016, 02:07 PM
It's just you.

Very humble beginnings means lacking even the most basic stuff like millions of poor families worldwide where even food isn't a guarantee. THAT'S REAL POVERTY.

This Lloyd guy grew up in a housing project in NY but both parents were employed so I doubt he went to bed without eating. Real poverty means that even basic education is a luxury. Most American poor families still have access to having shelter, food and basic healthcare and education (mostly pushed by Democratic policies). They aren't dying in the streets of American cities of starvation...

These billionaires who weren't rich when they grew up certainly did not grow up in real poverty, the West version of poverty =/= rest of the world version of poverty.

~primetime~
08-20-2016, 02:16 PM
62 Percent of American Billionaires Are Self-Made (https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269593)

which means 38% were inherited...

It's misleading though, because many of those "self made" billionaires inherited some "millions" to take a risk with. Not that many actually grew up in the hood.

DeuceWallaces
08-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Nearly all research contradicts this sentiment.

Nastradamus
08-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Just you