PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams considering retirement

D-Wait
08-27-2016, 02:09 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243200/Mo-Williams-Strongly-Considering-Retiring

"Mo Williams is strongly considering retiring from the NBA this offseason. Williams battled a left knee issue for most of last season. Williams' injury concerns and desire to eventually coach have factored into his thinking."

Nooo!!! :cry: :cry: He was my favorite Cav back in the day!

So Mo might retire and Delly is gone... that would only leave a 5'9'' rookie PG as Kyrie's backup :-/

Meticode
08-27-2016, 02:13 PM
I suspected this. From the reports I've read his knee isn't going to get any better. It's either he's either going to have to hang them up over, or play with the rest of his career. I was hoping he could get it healthy because he is a great spark off the bench behind Irving to have and he fits well with J.R. and LeBron out there, but it just seems like it's going to be an on-going issue.

retaxis
08-27-2016, 02:15 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243200/Mo-Williams-Strongly-Considering-Retiring

"Mo Williams is strongly considering retiring from the NBA this offseason. Williams battled a left knee issue for most of last season. Williams' injury concerns and desire to eventually coach have factored into his thinking."

Nooo!!! :cry: :cry: He was my favorite Cav back in the day!

So Mo might retire and Delly is gone... that would only leave a 5'9'' rookie PG as Kyrie's backup :-/
there is only like a billion people six foot tall so its not a major issue. Never having a starting centre for 4 years and having Joel Anthony as the starting centre for much of that period was an issue. Finding someone 7 feet with skills is a lot harder than finding someone 6 feet with skills.

SpaceJam
08-27-2016, 02:18 PM
That's NBA All Star & NBA Champion Mo Williams to you! Best respect him

D-Wait
08-27-2016, 02:20 PM
I suspected this. From the reports I've read his knee isn't going to get any better. It's either he's either going to have to hang them up over, or play with the rest of his career. I was hoping he could get it healthy because he is a great spark off the bench behind Irving to have and he fits well with J.R. and LeBron out there, but it just seems like it's going to be an on-going issue.

At least he would go out on a high note... still an amazing story that he came back and got his chip with Lebron after the breakup... though he was injured through the course of the season, he definitely contributed at the beginning of the season with an average of 15 PPG in the month of December

Nilocon165
08-27-2016, 02:36 PM
That's NBA All Star & NBA Champion Mo Williams to you! Best respect him
:applause: :bowdown:

Akrazotile
08-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Mo "Arguably the best player Lebron has ever played with" Williams.

Bigsmoke
08-27-2016, 03:50 PM
He is a good bench player. Who else gonna back up kyrie?

Bankaii
08-27-2016, 04:07 PM
He is a good bench player. Who else gonna back up kyrie?
They just drafted some kid, I think his name is Kay Felder.
He's short but he's athletic af and did pretty good in the summer league.

BigKAT
08-27-2016, 04:18 PM
They just drafted some kid, I think his name is Kay Felder.
He's short but he's athletic af and did pretty good in the summer league.

Still. PG is the position where inexperience is the most dangerous imo.
And I don't think Kyrie playing 35' a night is a good idea...
Maybe bring in Kendel Marshall or some other PG just in case?

Though Lebron is de-facto PG so often that honestly they just need another shooter to slot in that 1 guard.

Bankaii
08-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Still. PG is the position where inexperience is the most dangerous imo.
And I don't think Kyrie playing 35' a night is a good idea...
Maybe bring in Kendel Marshall or some other PG just in case?

Though Lebron is de-facto PG so often that honestly they just need another shooter to slot in that 1 guard.
I'm pretty surprised they didn't really do anything during FA.
They should've at least gone for a few vets like RJ for a solid 20-25 minutes during the regular season to take pressure off Lebron/Kyrie until the playoffs.

FatComputerNerd
08-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Panthro! Say it ain't so!!! :cry:

Bigsmoke
08-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Cavs needs to find a nice backup pg fast

bdreason
08-27-2016, 07:57 PM
I know it's summer league, but Felder (PG) and McRae (SG) both looked solid.

Ocks
08-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Cavs sign Mario Chalmers.. voil

D-Wait
08-28-2016, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=Ocks]Cavs sign Mario Chalmers.. voil

FreezingTsmoove
08-28-2016, 12:42 AM
there is only like a billion people six foot tall so its not a major issue. Never having a starting centre for 4 years and having Joel Anthony as the starting centre for much of that period was an issue. Finding someone 7 feet with skills is a lot harder than finding someone 6 feet with skills.

:facepalm

Fudge
08-28-2016, 01:56 AM
The Cavs are signing one of either Chalmers or Norris Cole.

Book it.

Lebron23
08-28-2016, 03:23 AM
I am gonna miss him.

I<3NBA
08-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Cavs better find a back up PG fast or Kyrie's gonna re-injure his knees again due to too much playing time.

Hey Yo
08-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Book it.
ZERO chance Norris Cole is brought in.

Haymaker
08-29-2016, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=Ocks]Cavs sign Mario Chalmers.. voil

Haymaker
08-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Book it.

Cole makes more sense money-wise. Not sure if Chalmers would take less money/reduced role. He thinks of himself as starter material.

HurricaneKid
08-29-2016, 10:05 AM
And if he weren't coming off an Achilles injury maybe he would be. But he likely won't be able to contribute anywhere this entire season.

Hey Yo
08-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Joe Vardon ‏@joevardon 12 minutes ago
Cavs choose not to waive Mo Williams by Wednesday deadline, but skeptical he returns

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cavaliers decided not to waive veteran guard Mo Williams by Wednesday's deadline to do so and "stretch" the $2.2 million they owe him next season over three years, which would've saved the team millions in luxury tax penalties.

However, the Cavs are also highly skeptical that Williams, 33, is planning to return in 2016-17, according to a team source. On Saturday, cleveland.com reported that Williams was strongly considering retirement, according to multiple sources close to him.

The front office has heard the same thing, on numerous occasions, just not from the player. Williams, who battled knee and thumb injuries for much of Cleveland's 2016 title run, will now probably make the full $2.2 million he's owed, unless he reaches a buyout agreement with the Cavs as part of his retirement -- should he choose to end his career after 13 seasons.