You can get one of the following to build your team around:

Pts/Asts/Rebs
1. 22/12/5 Point Guard
2. 28/5/7 Shooting Guard
3. 25/8/8 Small Forward
4. 25/4/12 Power Forward
5. 22/2/16 Center

Who do you build around?
All have Elite Defense for their position. No one can guard more then one spot up or down. (a 3 can guard a 2 and a 4, a 1 can guard only 1&2)

I'm going with the Small forward for defensive versatility, and maybe a shooting guard because that position is weak and he could feast on his matchups.

LostCause
08-29-2016, 04:51 PM
I'd go with the Center or Point Guard

Though it's hard to really choose here since there's a lot more nuance to things like this

BrainDead
08-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Lebron James

TemporaMutantur
08-29-2016, 07:02 PM

Pts/Asts/Rebs
1. 22/12/5 Point Guard
2. 28/5/7 Shooting Guard
3. 25/8/8 Small Forward
4. 25/4/12 Power Forward
5. 22/2/16 Center

Who do you build around?
All have Elite Defense for their position. No one can guard more then one spot up or down. (a 3 can guard a 2 and a 4, a 1 can guard only 1&2)

I'm going with the Small forward for defensive versatility, and maybe a shooting guard because that position is weak and he could feast on his matchups.

In other words:

1. Chris Paul;
2. James Harden (with good D);
3. Lebron James;
4. Blake Griffin;
5. Andre Drummond.

Bankaii
08-29-2016, 07:09 PM
1) SF
2) PF
3) C
4) PG/SG (depends on if the team needs a scorer or playmaker)

I still think that a player that can defend both the post and the perimeter at an elite level is the most important aspect. Maybe even a bigger impact than an elite shot blocking center, especially in today's league.

swagga
08-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Pts/Asts/Rebs
1. 22/12/5 Point Guard
2. 28/5/7 Shooting Guard
3. 25/8/8 Small Forward
4. 25/4/12 Power Forward
5. 22/2/16 Center

Who do you build around?

easy center pick because of bolded.

Switching is absolutely KEY for any era. There is a huge difference between KG elite defense and elton brand elite defense (yes 1st graders he was exceptional). People fail to realize that guarding one spot up or down is great but being able to just check (not constantly but decent enough to stall plays) two spots up/down is a the true linchpin of defensive versatility, that's why lebron/jordan/wade/KG were such defensive stars.

If this elite switching is not available in guards and small bigs (big SFs/ smaller PFs) then the center's defensive impact is just too much of a gap tbh.

BigKAT
08-29-2016, 07:31 PM
easy center pick because of bolded.

Switching is absolutely KEY for any era. There is a huge difference between KG elite defense and elton brand elite defense (yes 1st graders he was exceptional). People fail to realize that guarding one spot up or down is great but being able to just check (not constantly but decent enough to stall plays) two spots up/down is a the true linchpin of defensive versatility, that's why lebron/jordan/wade/KG were such defensive stars.

If this elite switching is not available in guards and small bigs (big SFs/ smaller PFs) then the center's defensive impact is just too much of a gap tbh.

True.
But keep in mind that offensivly a Center is only as good as his Guards let him.
I think if you're looking for the most sure-fire pick it's the SF since he can create/defend 2-3-4 efficently and score.

The center -could- be a beast, but put a shoot-happy PG with him and ya wasted him. Besides that yeah, Center is a good pick in this league, also a very very shallow position and I predict a Superstar center dominating almost every matchup with ease, as opposed to the PG/SF position.

BigKAT
08-29-2016, 07:31 PM
In other words:

1. Chris Paul;
2. James Harden (with good D);
3. Lebron James;
4. Blake Griffin;
5. Andre Drummond.

You could say that, except Andre Drummond, he's far from 22 PPG. More like Prime Dwight.

sunnyboy91
08-30-2016, 04:02 AM
I'll take the centre which I think is the most valuable position. If someone like Hakeem was playing today, and was surrounded by 4 shooter, the league would be his.

AintNoSunshine
08-30-2016, 04:38 AM
Lebron James or whoever that center is, 22/16 with elite defense in the middle? That's hard to turn down.

raprap
08-30-2016, 04:42 AM
Those PF and C stats look sexy af but

LeBron James

SilkkTheShocker
08-30-2016, 07:38 AM
LeBron James.

BigKAT
08-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Those PF and C stats look sexy af but

LeBron James

seems like the consensus here that a playmaking/rebounding SF is the best way to go.

Wonder if a decade ago most people would go for the SG due to the isolation-loving nature of the league.

sunnyboy91
08-30-2016, 09:39 AM
seems like the consensus here that a playmaking/rebounding SF is the best way to go.

Wonder if a decade ago most people would go for the SG due to the isolation-loving nature of the league.
MJs time everyone would say SG.
10 years from now, if KAT is competing for GOAT like LBJ is everyone would say Centre.....if you get what im saying

sunnyboy91
08-30-2016, 09:41 AM

10 years from now, if KAT has rings and is competing for GOAT like LBJ is doing now, everyone would say Centre.....if you get what im saying.

BigKAT
08-30-2016, 10:15 AM
10 years from now, if KAT has rings and is competing for GOAT like LBJ is doing now, everyone would say Centre.....if you get what im saying.

From your mouth to God's ears. But yeah I get your point, short memory span and what not.

ralph_i_el
08-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Counting stats with no context are meaningless.

BigKAT
08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Counting stats with no context are meaningless.

Well yeah, obviously.

This is not accurate, just a general idea. Kind of... You get to know what's behind door number 3 in description, and go with what gives you the best hunch.

Mass Debator
08-30-2016, 04:15 PM
I prefer shooting guards averaging 33/8/8 or 35/5/5

feyki
09-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Pg .

Orlando Magic
09-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Allen Iverson.

bizil
09-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Looking at NBA history I would say either:

- A dominant two way center who controls the paint. As a bonus, some of those guys had very effective midrange games to go with it. I would include Duncan in this group even though many consider him a PF.

- A 6'5 and up alpha dog perimeter player who is ALSO a great all around player and can play a minimum of three positions at a great level.

If u listed the top 10 NBA players of all time peak wise, ALL OF MY TOP TEN would fit one of these criteria (no particular order):

MJ
Bron
Bird
Magic
Wilt
Kareem
Kobe
Shaq
Big O
Dream

Gougou
09-08-2016, 06:39 PM
3. 25/8/8 Small Forward

Which is someone like LBJ so yeah......

Besides that I would take a Center like Shaq/Wilt Chamberlian.

BigKAT
09-09-2016, 02:22 AM
3. 25/8/8 Small Forward

Which is someone like LBJ so yeah......

Besides that I would take a Center like Shaq/Wilt Chamberlian.

Defensive minded, pretty much.

knicksman
09-10-2016, 03:58 AM
Elite scorer of course. From mj to kobe. Meanwhile bran only won when he has to join them(wade and now kyrie).

Mr Feeny
09-10-2016, 04:09 AM
Elite scorer of course. From mj to kobe. Meanwhile bran only won when he has to join them(wade and now kyrie).

Scorer you say?

Lebron is a better career scorer in all of the regular season, playoffs and finals (higher ppg).
He also has a higher fg% in all those and averages more assists at the same time:lol

He's also a better career 2%fg , 3%fg than Kobe :eek:

knicksman
09-10-2016, 04:17 AM
Scorer you say?

Lebron is a better career scorer in all of the regular season, playoffs and finals (higher ppg).
He also has a higher fg% in all those and averages more assists at the same time:lol

He's also a better career 2%fg , 3%fg than Kobe :eek:

Get back to me when you stop trolling:sleeping

Mr Feeny
09-10-2016, 04:26 AM
Get back to me when you stop trolling:sleeping

Get back to me when Kobe matches Lebron's 3 fmvps :eek:

egokiller
09-10-2016, 10:38 AM
1) SF
2) PF
3) C
4) PG/SG (depends on if the team needs a scorer or playmaker)

I still think that a player that can defend both the post and the perimeter at an elite level is the most important aspect. Maybe even a bigger impact than an elite shot blocking center, especially in today's league.

No maybe about it. Defending post and perm at elite level is HUUUUUGE.

TommyGriffin
09-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Healthy Curry.

BigKAT
09-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Healthy Curry.

I don't think there's anything that fits Curry' profile in the options I gave.

The pointguard is a 20/12. A more pass-first pg.
Curry was 30/5 in his peak so far.

From the list given to you, what would you prefer?

tamaraw08
09-12-2016, 02:10 PM
True.
But keep in mind that offensivly a Center is only as good as his Guards let him.
I think if you're looking for the most sure-fire pick it's the SF since he can create/defend 2-3-4 efficently and score.

The center -could- be a beast, but put a shoot-happy PG with him and ya wasted him. Besides that yeah, Center is a good pick in this league, also a very very shallow position and I predict a Superstar center dominating almost every matchup with ease, as opposed to the PG/SF position.

I'm not sure if you were able to see how the peak Olajuwon dominated back then. And it's not like he faced the weak centers like right now but was against the peak Shaq, Ewing and esp the MVP then David Robinson averaging like 36 pts/game.
And he did it actually with shot first PG's like Cassell and Kenny Smith and they were not elite passers but were smart enough to ride on the excellence of the Dream.
You are also assuming that the coach would simply allow these guards to simply shoot and deprive their best scoring option, who btw was very efficient and that's just the offense.
On the defensive side that center did not just block shots but he changed a ton of shots, making the other team shoot a low %

BigKAT
09-12-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure if you were able to see how the peak Olajuwon dominated back then. And it's not like he faced the weak centers like right now but was against the peak Shaq, Ewing and esp the MVP then David Robinson averaging like 36 pts/game.
And he did it actually with shot first PG's like Cassell and Kenny Smith and they were not elite passers but were smart enough to ride on the excellence of the Dream.
You are also assuming that the coach would simply allow these guards to simply shoot and deprive their best scoring option, who btw was very efficient and that's just the offense.
On the defensive side that center did not just block shots but he changed a ton of shots, making the other team shoot a low %

Sadly I didn't get to see many 90s game that aren't playoffs.
Almost none at all. And as you know, in the playoffs Star players are usually more dominant and sometimes get more shots up.

But from what I've seen in the last decade (2000s games come much more often on my sports channels as re-runs)

A center is only as good as the guards he plays with.
Does that mean Anthony Davis can't be a beast with Kendel Marshall?
He can be.

But to reach his full potential he'll often need the right guard for him.

For Shaq it was Kobe and Wade, scoring guards who demand attention.
For Stoudemire and Malone it was stockton and nash, pointguards who spoonfed them the ball at times, where their elite finishing ability did the rest.

Once more, I'm sorry to admit I didn't get to watch Regular season Hakeem at all, and only the 95-96 playoff games (Not even half of them. Mostly the Spurs series, Knicks series and Magic series.)

tamaraw08
09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Sadly I didn't get to see many 90s game that aren't playoffs.
Almost none at all. And as you know, in the playoffs Star players are usually more dominant and sometimes get more shots up.

But from what I've seen in the last decade (2000s games come much more often on my sports channels as re-runs)

Does that mean Anthony Davis can't be a beast with Kendel Marshall?
He can be.

But to reach his full potential he'll often need the right guard for him.

For Stoudemire and Malone it was stockton and nash, pointguards who spoonfed them the ball at times, where their elite finishing ability did the rest.

Once more, I'm sorry to admit I didn't get to watch Regular season Hakeem at all, and only the 95-96 playoff games (Not even half of them. Mostly the Spurs series, Knicks series and Magic series.)

1. I think you are focusing too much on offense. The impact of a dominant center on the defensive side is HUGE IMO. I strongly believe that if De Andre Jordan can hit his FTs and has a decent jump hook that he would wreak havoc in the league unfortunately, him shooting in the mid .30's have forced Rivers to pull him out at times.
2. When DRob dominated the reg season, Avery Johnson was his PG, the same guy who helped him and Duncan get their first ring. I'm betting Avery would have trouble to be even be considered to be in the HOF. Anthony Davis was pretty dominant without a a good PG,
I can't even remember Wilt and Kareem being so reliant on guards when they started dominating.
3. yes to a point, it helps of course to either have the "right guard" and yes it's easier for a guard or forward to be effective obviously bec they can dominate the ball from the get go but we are talking mostly on offense here.

G-train
09-12-2016, 09:31 PM
A center that dominates both ends effects a game more than anyone else, directly and indirectly.

G-train
09-12-2016, 09:33 PM

Shaq would dominate with Jerry Sichting playing point guard.

Smoke117
09-12-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm taking the Center for sure.

smoove1986
09-12-2016, 10:49 PM
nowitzki is probably the only superstar in nba history who wins a championship without having an outstanding team....and even not to be mentioned as a "superstar".. so I go with dirk. but besides that, how do you determine effectiveness? westbrook is one of the most effective superstars in nba history...but didn't win a title yet.