PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley Salty AF

FireDavidKahn
09-03-2016, 04:56 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17453899/pat-riley-miami-heat-says-shaquille-oneal-was-bigger-get-lebron-james

Pat Riley claims Hall of Fame inductee Shaquille O'Neal stands as the most significant prize the Miami Heat have landed during his 21-year tenure with the team.

:lol

Mr Feeny
09-03-2016, 05:09 AM
He can't possibly mean that :oldlol:

ILLsmak
09-03-2016, 05:36 AM
I can see why he'd say that, other than hype. I mean if they don't get Shaq and become a contender, would the big 3 ever happen? Probably not.

-Smak

IllegalD
09-03-2016, 05:41 AM
It's true.

I mean, young Wade and past his prime Shaq won almost just as many rings as prime LeBron with a superteam of prime Wade and Bosh.

:wtf: :biggums:

Prime_Shaq
09-03-2016, 05:48 AM
He's right though.

JT123
09-03-2016, 05:58 AM
He can't possibly mean that :oldlol:
“Over these 46 years, I’ve had an opportunity to see some great players — and all the ones I’ve observed, watched and have seen, they’ve always gotten better. In my humble opinion, I believe the man right here is the best of them all.”
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/05/06/riley-lebron-the-best-of-them-all/

These are Riley's true thoughts on LeGoat. :bowdown:

The fact that it's been over 2 years since Bron left and Riles is STILL acting like a jilted ex just proves that he knows how much he lost. :lol

aj1987
09-03-2016, 05:58 AM
I can see why he'd say that, other than hype. I mean if they don't get Shaq and become a contender, would the big 3 ever happen? Probably not.

-Smak
This. Without Shaq, Wade's ring in '06 might've not happened and the big 3 might've not happened as well.

Pat has been pretty bitter about LeBron leaving as well. It's time he moves on. Dude's gone and never coming back. No point in taking shots at him.

Mr Feeny
09-03-2016, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=JT123][I][COLOR="Red"]

Mr Feeny
09-03-2016, 06:55 AM
This. Without Shaq, Wade's ring in '06 might've not happened and the big 3 might've not happened as well.

Pat has been pretty bitter about LeBron leaving as well. It's time he moves on. Dude's gone and never coming back. No point in taking shots at him.

Shaq was complete horse manure during the 2006 finals that I'm not sure this statement is correct. Wade would have won that title with many other alternatives - any superstar level big man e.g. Dirk, Garnett, Duncan, or even 2006 Elton Brand.

Had they won in 2005, I'd agree but by 2006, Shaq had dropped off a cliff almost overnight and was nowhere near the player he once was.

FireDavidKahn
09-03-2016, 06:59 AM
He's right though.
No he isn't.

Prime LBJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Past his prime Shaq

FireDavidKahn
09-03-2016, 07:01 AM
And please.

LBJ went to MIA because he was BFF's with Wade, not because they won a chip a few years earlier.

Human Error
09-03-2016, 07:40 AM
It's true.

I mean, young Wade and past his prime Shaq won almost just as many rings as prime LeBron with a superteam of prime Wade and Bosh.

:wtf: :biggums:
That "young Wade" was a much better player than "prime Wade".

aj1987
09-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Shaq was complete horse manure during the 2006 finals that I'm not sure this statement is correct. Wade would have won that title with many other alternatives - any superstar level big man e.g. Dirk, Garnett, Duncan, or even 2006 Elton Brand.

Had they won in 2005, I'd agree but by 2006, Shaq had dropped off a cliff almost overnight and was nowhere near the player he once was.
Dirk, Duncan, and KG? Sure. They would've won in '07 as well. They weren't coming to Miami though. Shaq was the one who Miami got and without him, there wouldn't have been a ring in '06.

Jasper
09-03-2016, 08:37 AM

-Smak
ditto

But unfortunately he isn't claiming D-Wade carried Heat on his back for many seasons.
No other player in our current league other than Dirk can say that(.)

Clifton
09-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Good point.

Ever since landing Shaq, Miami has been seen as a "Big Market Team," like the Knicks or the Lakers, always in contention for any big free agent. And Pat Riley has become this mythological "Godfather."

But before landing Wade, the Heat were nothing, and after landing Wade, they looked like another one of those perpetual second-round eliminated teams with a star SG like Toronto, Orlando, Boston were at the time. Shaq changed all that.

I don't get Riley though. Lebron will always be one of the Miami guys. He came over and helped create history. They walloped everyone enjoyed route to 4 straight Finals and many historic moments.
Riley is overrated IMO as this "manipulative genius" people think he is. But he is smart enough to know that he's done for good. Once Lebron left, the myth of Riley and the Heat began its slow death. They haven't signed anyone significant yet and they never will again.

If Lebron had stayed, he'd be able to keep it up. Right now, he's desperately trying to create cap space and alienating Dwyane Wade in the process. And he's awkwardly trying to force Bosh into early retirement to create additional cap room. But no one great will sign. He's desperate so he's lashing out.

Prime_Shaq
09-03-2016, 09:19 AM
No he isn't.

Prime LBJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Past his prime Shaq
Nope

HurricaneKid
09-03-2016, 09:49 AM
by 2006, Shaq had dropped off a cliff almost overnight and was nowhere near the player he once was.

Fell off a cliff and landed on the 1st Team All NBA. Now that's gangsta.

Now in 07...

ArbitraryWater
09-03-2016, 10:01 AM
And please.

LBJ went to MIA because he was BFF's with Wade, not because they won a chip a few years earlier.

Exactly, this is just being hella salty.

Mr Feeny
09-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Fell off a cliff and landed on the 1st Team All NBA. Now that's gangsta.

Now in 07...

Tbf he started the season well. I was mainly talking about the playoff run. If you look at his production or if you had watched the games, I don't think you'd find much of an issue with what I said. He was neutralised by Eric Dampier at times - a guy whose masculinity Shaq used to question when Shaq was in his pomp.

By the finals, Wade was carrying an enormous load and won the final 4 games almost single handedly. Other than LeBron's ridiculous last 3 games to win this year's title for the Cavs, I don't think I've seen one man put an entire team on his back the way Wade did in those last 4 games.

jlip
09-03-2016, 11:02 AM
As a few others have alluded to, I can see what Pat Riley is saying. It's like when Drexler said that Rolando Blackman was the toughest player for him to guard even though we know that Drexler played against better players such as MJ and Nique or when Kobe said that Reggie Miller was the toughest player for him to guard even though he's faced better players. Riley wasn't saying that the Shaq acquisition was the "best". He said it was the "most significant", and I can understand what he means by that. That acquisition made the Heat franchise very relevant and possibly more marketable.

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2016, 12:10 PM
That "young Wade" was a much better player than "prime Wade".

That fuccing idiot thinks '12-'14 was Wade's prime and not '06 :roll:

stalkerforlife
09-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Shaq is easily better than Bran all time and easily the better Heat player.

Shaq was old and left after it was over...Bran left after losing in the finals in embarrassing fashion, but they still could've competed for titles.

Bran cowardly ruined a franchise...twice.

SamuraiSWISH
09-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Prime Wade '06 - '11

Anyway, typical salty shade throwing slime ball Riley. Miami only got 1.5 seasons of end of prime Shaq.

Even by the 2005 playoffs it was obviously Wade's team. By the 2006 post season Shaq was legit sidekick. In the Finals he was near nonexistent.

They got 4 solid years of prime LeBron. 2x MVPs, 4x Finals trips, and 2 rings ...

Someone cap this greasy wannabe godfather used car salesman.

Big164
09-03-2016, 12:26 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/61788045.jpg

guy
09-03-2016, 12:32 PM
As a few others have alluded to, I can see what Pat Riley is saying. It's like when Drexler said that Rolando Blackman was the toughest player for him to guard even though we know that Drexler played against better players such as MJ and Nique or when Kobe said that Reggie Miller was the toughest player for him to guard even though he's faced better players. Riley wasn't saying that the Shaq acquisition was the "best". He said it was the "most significant", and I can understand what he means by that. That acquisition made the Heat franchise very relevant and possibly more marketable.

Going by the same argument, wouldn't it be Alonzo Mourning instead?

SamuraiSWISH
09-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Alonzo did make them a respectable franchise. And they got Tim Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn and others to come to South Beach. Hell they were a great team in the late 90s. They were even decent when they relied on the Steve Smith and Glen Rice shooting duo.

ILLsmak
09-03-2016, 01:26 PM
And please.

yea but they didn't have to go to MIA... is the point. I'm surprised people can't see it. Shaq was good enough in 06 to get the whole Dallas defense geared around stopping him until Wade was too hot and it was too late.

It's whatever... I don't have an opinion of Riley, but as I said, people who can't understand why he said this seem salty themselves. If you don't agree, if you wanna argue about hidden motives, ok, but he's not saying some ridic off the wall thing like you think he is.

Edit: @ Zo, he mentioned Zo, and I think the issue was that it wasn't the piece that turned them from a good team into a legit contender. Miami had a really good team, but without Shaq they would not have made it to the ECF.

-Smak

guy
09-03-2016, 01:33 PM
yea but they didn't have to go to MIA... is the point. I'm surprised people can't see it. Shaq was good enough in 06 to get the whole Dallas defense geared around stopping him until Wade was too hot and it was too late.

It's whatever... I don't have an opinion of Riley, but as I said, people who can't understand why he said this seem salty themselves. If you don't agree, if you wanna argue about hidden motives, ok, but he's not saying some ridic off the wall thing like you think he is.

Edit: @ Zo, he mentioned Zo, and I think the issue was that it wasn't the piece that turned them from a good team into a legit contender. Miami had a really good team, but without Shaq they would not have made it to the ECF.

-Smak

They made it to the ECF with Zo in 97. Also were the no. 1 and 2 seeds for a couple years after that. Before Zo, they were basically first round losers.

Papaya Petee
09-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Pat Riley can say HIS biggest acquisition was trading for Shaq.
We all know Wade got LeBron in Miami, not Pat Riley :roll:

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
They made it to the ECF with Zo in 97. Also were the no. 1 and 2 seeds for a couple years after that. Before Zo, they were basically first round losers.

Those Heat teams really underachieved in the playoffs though. They were a top 3 seed from '98-'01 and only had 1 playoff series win to show for it, losing in winner take all games to the Knicks 3 years in a row at home then getting swept by the Hornets

AirFederer
09-03-2016, 01:51 PM

:applause:

KiiiiNG
09-03-2016, 01:59 PM
OK, Simon. Say hi to your mom for me. :D
Probably the least clever post in the history of the internet... cringe! :oldlol:

Those black dudes did a number on you son. You're 35 years old with the creativity of an 8 year old! :eek: :roll:

aj1987
09-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Tbf he started the season well. I was mainly talking about the playoff run. If you look at his production or if you had watched the games, I don't think you'd find much of an issue with what I said. He was neutralised by Eric Dampier at times - a guy whose masculinity Shaq used to question when Shaq was in his pomp.

By the finals, Wade was carrying an enormous load and won the final 4 games almost single handedly. Other than LeBron's ridiculous last 3 games to win this year's title for the Cavs, I don't think I've seen one man put an entire team on his back the way Wade did in those last 4 games.
Not really. ED couldn't guard '10 Shaq, let alone '06 Shaq. Dude was dealing with injuries and you would actually know that if you followed the Heat back then. Overall, Shaq was basically the perfect player next to Wade. Heck, if Wade and Shaq were properly healthy with a decent supporting cast, the Heat would've been contending in '07 and '08 as well.

This is coming from probably the biggest Wade fan on this board, BTW.

JT123
09-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Probably the least clever post in the history of the internet... cringe! :oldlol:

Those black dudes did a number on you son. You're 35 years old with the creativity of an 8 year old! :eek: :roll:
:roll:

DoctorP
09-03-2016, 10:34 PM
When did LeBron buy Insidehoops? Seems like the threads here are made from his brain

NBAplayoffs2001
09-04-2016, 12:00 AM
All I remember growing up is the amount of Shaq/Wade jerseys I saw lol. Everyone was rocking either a Heat jersey or a Vick falcon jersey.

Mr Feeny
09-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Not really. ED couldn't guard '10 Shaq, let alone '06 Shaq. Dude was dealing with injuries and you would actually know that if you followed the Heat back then. Overall, Shaq was basically the perfect player next to Wade. Heck, if Wade and Shaq were properly healthy with a decent supporting cast, the Heat would've been contending in '07 and '08 as well.

This is coming from probably the biggest Wade fan on this board, BTW.

I was stationed in Europe and would watch the games in the middle of the night. Most of the time, the 2nd halves as I had to get some sleep. I watched every game then.
If you disagree, that's fine. You can make your points, but don't go around recklessly around "you'd agree with my position if you had actually watched the games"

2005 Shaq was still Shaq. Heck, even during the Pistons series, we saw some glimpses of the old Shaq (game 6 if nothing else, when Wade has the flu ). But for the most part, it wasn't the super dominant Shaq we were used to.

The fact that Dallas played him straight up tells you everything. On no planet would any team defend Shaq mano y mano during the previous 10 years. They did exactly that with Dampier.
Shaq would be posted up on isolations and would - at times- have trouble backing Dampier down.

I remember Miami being up by 3 with about 50 seconds-1 minuet remaining in game 6 and Eric Dampier getting on offense rebound that Shaq really should have easily gotten, and screaming at the tv as Avery Johnson immediately called time out, thinking "what was.....that? "

They ended up winning in any case as the Terry 3 rattled out but even during the presentation, I kept thinking "Boy is the big guy looking old right about now"