PDA

View Full Version : HYPOTHETICAL: What if Kobe had focused on playing PG?

SwayDizzle
09-04-2016, 09:29 AM
just focused on being a PG (in the traditional sense), would he be better than Magic?

I believe so. He would rack 12-13 assists per game and score whenever the team needed him to.

he may have ended up the GOAT as a PG. instead he wanted to beat MJ and focused on being a SG. in many ways he succeeded in beating MJ at the SG spot. however, MJ overall holds the candle.

tpols
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM
kobe has said that he idolized magic as a youngin .. still remember when he went ShowtimeBe in 2013 as an old man rackin up john stockton like totals for a few stretches. From a skills perspective, Kobe is the GOAT along with co-GOAT Larry Bird. Only top 10 guys that werent blessed with other worldy physical traits, so they had to make up the deficiency with GOAT skill and iq.

Appreciate.

stalkerforlife
09-04-2016, 10:28 AM
He easily would've been the best PG ever and everyone knows it.

However, scoring is a more important aspect of the game and he just so happened to be elite at it.

Magic was forced into his role.

Kobe chose his role.

SamuraiSWISH
09-04-2016, 10:34 AM
in many ways he succeeded in beating MJ at the SG spot. however, MJ overall holds the candle.
Who has ever said that? Only thing Kobe does better is shoot the 3 ball, but it does it to the detriment of his own efficiency. He's not a better scorer, slasher, playmaker or defender. So you're tweaking.

zeerghit
09-04-2016, 12:03 PM

However, scoring is a more important aspect of the game and he just so happened to be elite at it.

Kobe chose his role.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

AirBonner
09-04-2016, 12:09 PM
No. Kobe doesn't have reliable pg game. Its amazing people make a big deal over that stretch of games kobe had passing. It doesn't even compare to what bron (another non pg)has done his ENTIRE career.

BigKAT
09-04-2016, 12:11 PM
kobe has said that he idolized magic as a youngin .. still remember when he went ShowtimeBe in 2013 as an old man rackin up john stockton like totals for a few stretches. From a skills perspective, Kobe is the GOAT along with co-GOAT Larry Bird. Only top 10 guys that werent blessed with other worldy physical traits, so they had to make up the deficiency with GOAT skill and iq.

Appreciate.

...Did you watch games?

And yes, Kobe was skilled af.
But stop with the 'Kobe isn't athletic bullshit'

AirFederer
09-04-2016, 12:21 PM
He never had the mindset of making others shine. When he PGed he played for assists.

Dude was a much worse padder than LeBron

SamuraiSWISH
09-04-2016, 12:25 PM
...Did you watch games?

Seriously.

It's hyperbole. Just like LeBron isn't skilled.

The only perimeter guys of his era or slightly before that I'd say definitively were more athletic in a leaping, quickness, strength perspective ... would only be MJ and Bron.

Then some arguable guys: Carter, Drexler, McGrady, Nique, Iverson and possibly Wade. But even then it could be argued either way.

Acting like Kobe wasn't a 6'6 athletic freak with great quickness, good leaping ability and absurd body control / agility is being disingenuous. And disrespectful.

AirFederer
09-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Seriously.

The only perimeter guys of his era or slightly before that I'd say definitively were more athletic in a leaping, quickness, strength perspective ... would only be MJ and Bron.

Then some arguable guys: Carter, Drexler, McGrady, Nique, Iverson and possibly Wade. But even then it could be argued either way.

Acting like Kobe wasn't a 6'6 athletic freak with great quickness, good leaping ability and absurd body control / agility is being disingenuous. And disrespectful.

Yeah he had the tools but lacked the ultimate BBIQ and team first mentality of Magic

BigKAT
09-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Seriously.

:cheers:
Someone talking sense around here.

in 2013, in age 30+ that rack attack on Brooklyn, when he dunked on two players much taller then him... DAMN.
You're telling me that's not 'Other wordly gifted?''
Get that nonsense out of here.

Akrazotile
09-04-2016, 12:31 PM

Kobe chose his role.

But he only won 2 scoring titles and 1 charity MVP in 20 years and is the all-time career leader in missed shots :confusedshrug:

stalkerforlife
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
But he only won 2 scoring titles and 1 charity MVP in 20 years and is the all-time career leader in missed shots :confusedshrug:

You're being politically correct, again; it's not good for your brand, bro.

Kobe finished 2nd in scoring numerous times while other guys tried their hardest to win scoring titles, because that's all they had to play for.

I think Kobe finished 2nd a handful of times and top 5 like 12 times.

tpols
09-04-2016, 12:40 PM
...Did you watch games?

i think you got it confused.. kobe was athletic, hell yea.. i said other worldy though. The shaqs, lebrons, wilts, jordans, kareems .. totally different plane of athleticism.. i shouldve included duncan in my post w/ Bird and Kobe too.

ArbitraryWater
09-04-2016, 12:42 PM
still #12 all time

BigKAT
09-04-2016, 12:43 PM
i think you got it confused.. kobe was athletic, hell yea.. i said other worldy though. The shaqs, lebrons, wilts, jordans, kareems .. totally different plane of athleticism.. i shouldve included duncan in my post w/ Bird and Kobe too.

Well.
He's definetly not Lebron or MJ in Athletic Ability.
But he isn't that far beneath.
I don't think he's less athletic then Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Duncan or anyone for that matter.

He's not Air Jordan but he isnt' chopped liver.
I don't think a 'Lack of jump' held him back in any point.

Furious slasher and driver throughout his career.

tpols
09-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Well.
He's definetly not Lebron or MJ in Athletic Ability.
But he isn't that far beneath.
I don't think he's less athletic then Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Duncan or anyone for that matter.

He's not Air Jordan but he isnt' chopped liver.
I don't think a 'Lack of jump' held him back in any point.

Furious slasher and driver throughout his career.

In terms of physical gifts i'd rank the top 10 ...

God Tier (holy trinity of freak size and movement)

Shaq
Lebron
Wilt

Second Tier

MJ
Hakeem
Kareem
Russell

Third Tier

Magic
Kobe
Duncan
Bird

zeerghit
09-04-2016, 01:09 PM
In terms of physical gifts i'd rank the top 10 ...

God Tier (holy trinity of freak size and movement)

Shaq
Lebron
Wilt

Second Tier

MJ
Hakeem
Kareem
Russell

Third Tier

Magic
Kobe
Duncan
Bird

Tier 1-3: Barkley,Robinson,Kemp,erving, nique FOR SURE
HM: Pippen,starks,amare, westbrook,howard, clyde, carterr. tmac, nate..

zeerghit
09-04-2016, 01:11 PM
forgot about rodman..

SamuraiSWISH
09-04-2016, 01:17 PM
You're comparing big men to perimeter guys.

Don't act like Kobe wasn't an elite athlete. Only people clearly more blessed were MJ and Bron.

Kareem wasn't athletic ... he's just like 7'3. Big guys have it easier. Wilt was athletic. Shaq was more athletic. Robinson was more athletic than both.

Kobe as a rookie in a preseason game crossed a dude over and dunked on Ben Wallace FROM A STEP INSIDE THE FREE THROW LINE in an actual game. Kobe is more in MJ and Bron category, even if inferior, than he is Bird or Magic. Those guys were taller but WAY less athletic than Bryant.

Kobe stans attempt to make him sound pedestrian athletically to account for failure or not being universally acclaimed on the level of Jordan and LeBron as players. It's a move the goal post arguing technique.

You don't play 20 years in the best basketball league ever ... as a 6'6 guard without being super blessed athletically. Especially for a position that's 2nd smallest on the floor, with the game on the perimeter being nearly entirely speed /quickness based.

TommyGriffin
09-04-2016, 01:22 PM
You're comparing big men to perimeter guys.

Don't act like Kobe wasn't an elite athlete. Only people clearly more blessed were MJ and Bron.

Kareem wasn't athletic ... he's just like 7'3. Big guys have it easier. Wilt was athletic. Shaq was more athletic. Robinson was more athletic than both.

Kobe as a rookie in a preseason game crossed a dude over and dunked on Ben Wallace FROM A STEP INSIDE THE FREE THROW LINE in an actual game. Kobe is more in MJ and Bron category, even if inferior, than he is Bird or Magic. Those guys were taller but WAY less athletic than Bryant.

Kobe stans attempt to make him sound pedestrian athletically to account for failure or not being universally acclaimed on the level of Jordan and LeBron as players. It's a move the goal post arguing technique.

You don't play 20 years in the best basketball league ever ... as a 6'6 guard without being super blessed athletically. Especially for a position that's 2nd smallest on the floor, with the game on the perimeter being nearly entirely speed /quickness based.
Nah. Kobe wasn't that athletic. You are exaggerating.

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2016, 01:24 PM
12-13 assists per game :oldlol:

tpols
09-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Kareem was the most graceful 7+ footer of all time.. a like a 7'3 gazelle. Height is a physical gift, thats just common sense. Obviously the taller and bigger you get, and the more your propensity for smooth effortless movement, the more dominant of an athlete you will be.

You don't play 20 years in the best basketball league ever ... as a 6'6 guard without being super blessed athletically.

GOAT tier conditioning and work ethic is more responsible for that than anything else. Kobe's peers at SG like Carter and tmac broke down quicker, were slightly better athletes, but didnt last long at a high level because they didnt have the same sociopathic drive to be great and keep going.. they had more motivation than any of us could muster up, surely, but Kobe level? not close. And there's mountains of evidence to support that if you paid attention.

tpols
09-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Kareem wasn't athletic ...

thats a fkin doozy ... would love to hear some older guys come in here and school you on young Kareem.

SamuraiSWISH
09-04-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't disagree with Kobe's motivations. But you're understating his athletic ability at the shooting guard position. This isn't floor bound, exclusive craftiness like Brandon Roy or Klay Thompson.

Kobe was elite athletically.

For a period Carter and Mac might have been slightly more athletic. MJ and Bron were the only ones definitively and staggeringly more athletic. So, stop down playing Kobe's innate gifts to prop him up higher.

Yes, he maximized what he was given. Was it MJ or Bron level gifts? No. But no one else was easily more gifted on the perimeter than Kobe.

SamuraiSWISH
09-04-2016, 01:34 PM
thats a fkin doozy ... would love to hear some older guys come in here and school you on young Kareem.
Maybe it is because Kareem's lasting image in my mind was a mechanical stiff on the Lakers. You're younger than me, don't act like you were watching him in his prime. Anyway, all accounts were that Wilt, Robinson, Hakeem and even Shaq were more athletic.

Kblaze8855
09-04-2016, 01:36 PM
From a skills perspective, Kobe is the GOAT along with co-GOAT Larry Bird.

The gap between Nash and Kobes physical ability was tremendous.....the difference between how effective they were on a court is not. If thats how we judge players....im not sure how Kobe is more skilled than Nash. Is he a better shooter, passer, or ball handler? Is his defensive edge one created mostly through defensive skill or physical ability? Is he a more skilled rebounder...or is he a lot bigger and more athletic?

People just started pretending Kobe wasnt a great athlete a few years ago as if he wasnt considered an amazing one for the 10-12 years that preceded it.

Kblaze8855
09-04-2016, 01:41 PM
And Kareem was athletic as hell for his size. How many 7'2'' players have gone coast to coast and finished with a eurostep?

Hes not super athletic by the standards of smaller guys. But there arent more than like....4-5 people ive ever seen his size who were more athletic.

He wasnt Ralph Sampson, Wilt, Shaq, or Drob all things considered. But not being the most athletic guy of your size ever doesnt mean you arent athletic.

Kareem was more athletic by center standards than Kobe by 2 guard standards.

7'2'' guys are supposed to be Hasheem Thabeet or Roy Hibbert. Kareem could really really move.

tpols
09-04-2016, 01:43 PM
The gap between Nash and Kobes physical ability was tremendous.....the difference between how effective they were on a court is not. If thats how we judge players....im not sure how Kobe is more skilled than Nash. Is he a better shooter, passer, or ball handler? Is his defensive edge one created mostly through defensive skill or physical ability? Is he a more skilled rebounder...or is he a lot bigger and more athletic?

People just started pretending Kobe wasnt a great athlete a few years ago as if he wasnt considered an amazing one for the 10-12 years that preceded it.

i never said kobe wasnt a great athlete .. i said he was on the lower rung of top 10 GOATs who not coincidentally most happen to be some of the most freak specimens of all time. The same gap that exists between nash and kobe also exists between shaq or wilt and kobe.

(nash is underrated as an athlete btw... his father and family were professional footballers so he did have elite quickness)

Mr Feeny
09-04-2016, 02:02 PM
This is a mod...

:roll:

He's correct in this case. Leave accolades aside. If it's about individual impact, there isn't much in it. Nash is DEFINITELY ahead of Kobe offensively based on individual impact. It's defense where Nash is so poor that he cedes the advantage.

NBAGOAT
09-04-2016, 02:17 PM
This is a mod...

:roll:

Nash has gotten Magic comparisons if we're talking just offense at his best. Even you must think Magic can be compared to Kobe on just the offensive end.

GrapeApe
09-04-2016, 02:30 PM
He'd shatter the all time turnover record.

Smoke117
09-04-2016, 02:59 PM
The delusions in this thread...lol. This nonsense that Kobe wasn't that athletic by his stans is one of their more amusing fabrications.

Bankaii
09-04-2016, 05:11 PM
"Kobe would be the GOAT PG":oldlol:
"Kobe would average 12-13 assists":oldlol:
"Kobe has surpassed MJ in some aspects":oldlol:
"Kobe isn't freakishly athletic":oldlol:

Do these Kobetards even watch their own idol? The delusion is hilarious.

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
"Kobe would be the GOAT PG":oldlol:
"Kobe has surpassed MJ in some aspects":oldlol:
"Kobe isn't freakishly athletic":oldlol:

Do these Kobetards even watch their own idol? The delusion is hilarious.

The 12-13 assists per game is hilariously stupid. Not even the likes of Oscar, Nash, CP3 & Kidd ever averaged that for a season, yet Kobe's gonna do it :oldlol:

K Xerxes
09-04-2016, 05:44 PM

He must be counting Kobe assists too.

AirBonner
09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
He must be counting Kobe assists too.
Savage :lol

SwayDizzle
09-04-2016, 11:20 PM
The 12-13 assists per game is hilariously stupid. Not even the likes of Oscar, Nash, CP3 & Kidd ever averaged that for a season, yet Kobe's gonna do it :oldlol:
kobe was greater than all those players. 12-13 assists per game is very realistic for the likes of kobe who would obsess over getting his teammates buckets, the same way he obsessed about scoring buckets.

Bankaii
09-04-2016, 11:39 PM
kobe was greater than all those players. 12-13 assists per game is very realistic for the likes of kobe who would obsess over getting his teammates buckets, the same way he obsessed about scoring buckets.
What does being a better player have anything to do with passing?
Unless you're dumb enough to think Kobe is a better passer than Nash/Kidd/etc:oldlol:

And Kobe "obsessing" over something doesn't mean he'll achieve it, Kobetard.

TheWinningFam
09-04-2016, 11:54 PM
The delusion by kobe stans in this thread
''Kobe would average 12-13 assists because he would be obsessed with passing''
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjlol.png

GrapeApe
09-04-2016, 11:55 PM

No, 12-13 assists is not realisic, and if he were anywhere near that number he'd be turning the ball over at a historic rate. Being a better player than the likes of Nash, Kidd, CP3, etc.... is completely irrelevant.

TheWinningFam
09-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Are we counting the assists kobe would get off putbacks from all his bricks? He'd get 12-13 assists just off that alone http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjlol.png

raprap
09-05-2016, 12:07 AM
He would've been a much better player imo. Remove the possessions he jacked up a terrible shot and replace it with possessions setting up a good shot for others.

SwayDizzle
09-05-2016, 06:29 AM
What does being a better player have anything to do with passing?
Unless you're dumb enough to think Kobe is a better passer than Nash/Kidd/etc:oldlol:

And Kobe "obsessing" over something doesn't mean he'll achieve it, Kobetard.
We are talking about the greatest student of the game. He would have focused on studying his teammates tendencies instead of his defenders tendencies. He would also need a decent team around him, players that can score. I think its very possible he could have pulled off a 12 assist per game season. And like another poster stated, this role woyld have made him a better player. Think 2008 on steroids, less shot jacking, more finding the open man.

Quickening
09-05-2016, 06:57 AM
6 assists, 24 points with 12 turnovers per game.

SwayDizzle
09-05-2016, 07:54 AM
12 points, 24 assists, 6 turnovers

ralph_i_el
09-05-2016, 09:10 AM
This doesn't make any sense!

Would the Lakers play a different style? I mean, Kobe was the lead guard for most of his years. He handled the ball the most. If he didn't play the style he did, he most likely wouldn't have been as successful.

Playing a less successful style, he doesn't win 5 rings. Lets just say he wins 2 rings with Shaq and then has a decent career as a big PG after that.

He's not even in the top-10 conversation at that point, and is a borderline hall of famer.

SwayDizzle
09-05-2016, 09:21 AM
This doesn't make any sense!

Would the Lakers play a different style? I mean, Kobe was the lead guard for most of his years. He handled the ball the most. If he didn't play the style he did, he most likely wouldn't have been as successful.

Playing a less successful style, he doesn't win 5 rings. Lets just say he wins 2 rings with Shaq and then has a decent career as a big PG after that.

He's not even in the top-10 conversation at that point, and is a borderline hall of famer.
this doesn't make any sense either.

completely forget kobe's career as you know it.

Annyong!
09-05-2016, 09:46 AM
just focused on being a PG (in the traditional sense), would he be better than Magic?

I believe so.
:facepalm

Annyong!
09-05-2016, 09:48 AM
He never had the mindset of making others shine. When he PGed he played for assists.

Dude was a much worse padder than LeBron
This. Kind of the Rondo style of PG.

Dragonyeuw
09-05-2016, 11:00 AM
We are talking about the greatest student of the game. He would have focused on studying his teammates tendencies instead of his defenders tendencies. He would also need a decent team around him, players that can score.

He's not a better passer than Kidd or Nash, so no he wouldn't have averaged that even if he dedicated himself to passing and/or had the right teammates/system. Lebron's career high is 8.6 and he's more pass-conscious than Kobe( and a much better passer), and better than sucking defenders into the lane than Kobe ever was, while being surrounded by shooters in his first Cleveland go-around.

tpols
09-05-2016, 11:35 AM
kobe is the prototypical guard from a skills perspective .. there's a reason he won with a backcourt of Derek Fisher and himself five times leading his team in assists ... on top of the explosive clutch scoring. If Kobe was able to shake the "you need to score the most points to get credit" mentality that was drilled into his head from watchin MJ and playing early on w/ shaq, who knows ..

i mean look at this shit ...

http://i.giphy.com/vPqYLZ0cxgtNu.gif

http://i.giphy.com/TpJTZa9VoysNy.gif

http://i.giphy.com/isnzsr6wxmFsQ.gif

link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ye3D2nagUs)

a whole video full of older kobe slithering through the defense, drawing full attention, and dumpin off to pau / odom / bynum for some of the most uncontested dunks and layups you'll ever see. He isnt just barreling around , hot potato'ing to floor spreaders.. kobe is the best facilitator for big men that the shooting guard position has ever seen, bar none.

Kobe didnt lack the skills, just the mentality.. i'm not sure it wouldve produced much better results though. His threat of scoring is what really sucked the whole defense toward himself to get these guys open in the first place. plus, clutch scoring, aggressive midrange game is the most premium asset in basketball. It's the staple of end game halfcourt offense.

ralph_i_el
09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
kobe is the prototypical guard from a skills perspective .. there's a reason he won with a backcourt of Derek Fisher and himself five times leading his team in assists ... on top of the explosive clutch scoring. If Kobe was able to shake the "you need to score the most points to get credit" mentality that was drilled into his head from watchin MJ and playing early on w/ shaq, who knows ..

a whole video full of older kobe slithering through the defense, drawing full attention, and dumpin off to pau / odom / bynum for some of the most uncontested dunks and layups you'll ever see. He isnt just barreling around , hot potato'ing to floor spreaders.. kobe is the best facilitator for big men that the shooting guard position has ever seen, bar none.

Kobe didnt lack the skills, just the mentality.. i'm not sure it wouldve produced much better results though. His threat of scoring is what really sucked the whole defense toward himself to get these guys open in the first place. plus, clutch scoring, aggressive midrange game is the most premium asset in basketball. It's the staple of end game halfcourt offense.

Teams play him as a scorer. If he focused on passing, teams would play him to pass and those guys wouldn't be as open.

34-24 Footwork
09-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Lol. Kobe a bad passer doe.

Young X
09-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I mean if guys like Curry and Irving are considered PG's then Kobe basically already was a PG. And extremely successful at it at that.

SwayDizzle
09-06-2016, 12:08 PM

Great post :applause:

Screamin A Smit
09-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Sabatoge :lol

ShawkFactory
09-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Lol. Kobe a bad passer doe.
Who's ever said that?

riseagainst
09-06-2016, 02:10 PM
He'll probably be a top 10 greatest PG ever.

NBASTATMAN
09-06-2016, 02:36 PM
If he was so skilled ,WHY did he suck so bad when he lost his athleticism?

Dominique had the same surgery and played light years better than KOBE..

It can be argued that Dominique was more skilled than Kobe. While most would agree that Dominique was a better jumper I dont think he was as fast as kobe or even close when it comes to agility and body control.. He came back after the achilles injury and played great bball under the rim.. Kobe was garbage when he lost his physical abilities.

ANYONE HAVE TIME TO START THIS DEBATE..I THINK WILKINS COMES AHEAD:rockon: :roll:

Annyong!
09-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Teams play him as a scorer. If he focused on passing, teams would play him to pass and those guys wouldn't be as open.
Exactly. If he played looking to pass, defenses would play him as a guy looking to pass. The strategy against Kobe was always "make him pass" so of course he was able to get some good passes in.

Lebron23
09-06-2016, 02:52 PM
He's a decent passer. But Magic passing skills is just out of this world.

bizil
09-06-2016, 03:07 PM
In today's game, MOST of the best PG's are ACTUALLY score first kind of PG's. Back in the day, guys like Magic, Isiah, Big O, etc. were pass first PG's who could ALSO dominate scoring when needed. CP3 is of this cloth in today's game.

Kobe could have been great at PG, SG, and SF. But like many of today's PG's Kobe would be a score first PG. Scoring is what Kobe does best, and he's 6'6. So while he could have been a great PG from a score first mindset, he's BETTER OFF at the SG or SF.

However, Kobe was ACTUALLY the best passer on his team most of the time. So at times, u need an epic scorer like Kobe to be the primary playmaker. BUT being the primary playmaker and ACTUALLY being listed as a PG are two different things.

tmacattack33
09-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Kobe either shot too much or passed way too much (and this usually occured in defined stretches of like 5-10 games where got angry about all the ball hog talk and he wanted to prove that he can pass). There were a few stretches like this in his career. There are youtube videos of it too for proof - where he would overpass...passing up on layups to try to rack up assits.

There are also stats out there that show that Kobe did not have the ability to both score and pass. You can search for 30+ points and 10+ assist games for him and see he has very little of them (or any other combination...such as 25 + points and 10 + assists or whatever). It's because he did not have the vision to try to beat his man off the dribble while at the same time seeing the floor.

bizil
09-06-2016, 03:22 PM
People have to keep in mind that the MAIN REASON guys like Curry, Westbrook, and Rose play PG is due to size. Their size is just right for a PG. But for an SG, they would be undersized. They could still dominate from the SG ala Iverson, but a team would have to be built just right for that to happen. CP3 on the other hand is natural pass first floor general. EVEN IF CP3 was 6'5 or 6'6, he would still be a PG.

Kobe was an awesome all around player. Capable of playing and defending PG, SG, and SF. And at times (like MJ) Kobe actually played the PG flat out. BUT why would u have guys like Kobe and MJ play the PG when they were such prolific scorers. AND were score first players to begin with. They were the most dominant at the most premium asset in the sport AND THATS alpha dog scoring.

Only guys in NBA history who averaged 30 points from a pass first perspective are Big O and Bron. And maybe Tiny, even though I thought Tiny was of an AI than Isiah-CP3. With guys like Kobe, I want them off the ball and scoring the rock. BUT Mamba was so versatile, he could move to PG or SF when needed.

ralph_i_el
09-06-2016, 04:35 PM
In today's game, MOST of the best PG's are ACTUALLY score first kind of PG's. Back in the day, guys like Magic, Isiah, Big O, etc. were pass first PG's who could ALSO dominate scoring when needed. CP3 is of this cloth in today's game.

Kobe could have been great at PG, SG, and SF. But like many of today's PG's Kobe would be a score first PG. Scoring is what Kobe does best, and he's 6'6. So while he could have been a great PG from a score first mindset, he's BETTER OFF at the SG or SF.

However, Kobe was ACTUALLY the best passer on his team most of the time. So at times, u need an epic scorer like Kobe to be the primary playmaker. BUT being the primary playmaker and ACTUALLY being listed as a PG are two different things.

I'm not a fan of Kobe, but I agree with all of this.