PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA NEED Lebron/MJ/Kobe?

BigKAT
09-07-2016, 09:20 AM
You can say that a sport really needs those 'Super athletes'

Be it Bolt reviving interest in the 100 meters sprint,
Phelps making people watch Swimming in droves,
MJ, Lebron and Kobe keeping people interested with their narratives, will he be the greatest? will he win enough rings to cement his legacy?

Muhammad Ali saved boxing, or so they say.
After Mike Tyson it took a major dip in popularity,

So my question is this,

Do you think the League -NEEDS- those superstars to remain popular and relevent? Is a League where every year a new champion is made and no one is transcendent above all even interesting?

And if they do -need- those athletes, will that mean the 2002 Kings Series, 'The Shove' (MJ's last shot as a bull) or Draymond's suspension all have to do with the League trying to manufacture interest?

SpaceJam
09-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Let's be honest, majority of people only care about sprinting/swimming every 4 years, even before Bolt/Phelps

But the NBA does need superstars for sure, you could say they are manufactured in a way. But you obviously gotta be all time great

BigKAT
09-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Let's be honest, majority of people only care about sprinting/swimming every 4 years, even before Bolt/Phelps

But the NBA does need superstars for sure, you could say they are manufactured in a way. But you obviously gotta be all time great

I'm not saying the NBA is turning scrub into ATG's

I do think that perhaps in the NBA, NFL, Boxing, Sprinting... Any kind of sport really..

The Great is turned into Greater to invoke interest.

toprange
09-07-2016, 09:30 AM
The Media and the Association will manufacture it if there is no one that is transcendent above all. That is what they did with Lebron. Media controls his identity. They are the ones that list him top 3 all time, they are the ones that give him the MVPs. Meanwhile the players have a completely different view:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417821

BigKAT
09-07-2016, 09:40 AM
The Media and the Association will manufacture it if there is no one that is transcendent above all. That is what they did with Lebron. Media controls his identity. They are the ones that list him top 3 all time, they are the ones that give him the MVPs. Meanwhile the players have a completely different view:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417821

Dude.
Come on.

Don't turn this into a Lebron/Kobe tug of war.
(I even mentioned Lebron, MJ AND Kobe in my post to avoid this.)

You have you other 9 threads for that.

K Xerxes
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
If LeBron, MJ or Kobe never existed, the next best players would be considered the transcendental superstar. Sure the standards may be lower, but people wouldn't know any better. If the league was full of scrubs, a player putting up 15ppg may be considered the GOAT. We always look for the best at their sport and prop them on a pedestal. That's how sport works.

toprange
09-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Dude.
Come on.

Don't turn this into a Lebron/Kobe tug of war.
(I even mentioned Lebron, MJ AND Kobe in my post to avoid this.)

You have you other 9 threads for that.
Sports writers need something to write about so they will do their best to create some kind of hype. Like K Xerxes said, new standards will be used to measure and motivate players